Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Justin Minaya Injury Update

The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar

Default Justin Minaya Injury Update

COLUMBIA, S.C. South Carolina sophomore forward Justin Minaya will undergo right knee surgery later this week, and will begin rehab immediately, Gamecock head coach Frank Martin announced on Tuesday. The Harrington Park, N.J., native suffered the injury in practice on Nov. 25. Of the two surgery options mentioned in the post-game press conference on Monday night, the elected surgery requires the lesser amount of recovery time of the two.

He remains out indefinitely, and a timetable for his return to activity will be announced following the surgical procedure.
    https://gamecocksonline.com/news/201...ry-update.aspx

Coach Martin stated during the Wofford post-game presser that there were two surgical procedure options, with one referred to as a "scope" and the other being one that would have Minaya's season come to an end. Apparently this one is the lesser one, and Minaya may return at some point later this season, that is still as of yet undetermined....

Default Re: Justin Minaya Injury Update

Quote Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
    https://gamecocksonline.com/news/201...ry-update.aspx

Coach Martin stated during the Wofford post-game presser that there were two surgical procedure options, with one referred to as a "scope" and the other being one that would have Minaya's season come to an end. Apparently this one is the lesser one, and Minaya may return at some point later this season, that is still as of yet undetermined....

Well considering the coach called him this teams leader not sure I am excited about SEC play this year. WTF has happened to Silva also has someone ever come in and played themselves out of a draft pick their final season?
    Gamecock born, Gamecock bred
    When I die I'll be Gamecock dead...
    Currently raising more Gamecocks to carry the torch!

Minaya to have surgery tomorrow and Frank's guesstimate is he will be out 4-6 weeks.

He also says Frink will play on Friday, BUT that he is lost right now, so don't expect too much from him yet.

“He’ll dress. He’s been in practice yesterday and today. He’s lost, has no idea what he’s doing, but you can tell his presence in practice,” Martin said on his weekly call-in show. “He’s still not where he needs to be but he’ll dress and I’ll throw him out there.”

https://southcarolina.rivals.com/new...ampaign=buffer

Quote Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
    Well considering the coach called him this teams leader not sure I am excited about SEC play this year. WTF has happened to Silva also has someone ever come in and played themselves out of a draft pick their final season?
    Silva is a total mystery. He's not even close to playing like he played last year.

The "other" M. Lattimore ucan'tlickourcocks's Avatar

And it's frustrating watching Kotsar be so tentative around the basket. Somebody needs to pee in his cornflakes prior to tipoff..... I sometimes think he forgets how big he is. Add, if he misses a shot, he needs to bring it stronger instead of wilt away. Silva, I have no answers, but something seems amiss.....

1st Team All-American Cockhornleghorn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ucan'tlickourcocks View Post
    And it's frustrating watching Kotsar be so tentative around the basket. Somebody needs to pee in his cornflakes prior to tipoff..... I sometimes think he forgets how big he is. Add, if he misses a shot, he needs to bring it stronger instead of wilt away. Silva, I have no answers, but something seems amiss.....
    Silva did hurt his shoulder, pre-season, but I think Frank's excessive yelling has hurt the confidence of Silva and Kotsar.

Quote Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
    Minaya to have surgery tomorrow and Frank's guesstimate is he will be out 4-6 weeks.

He also says Frink will play on Friday, BUT that he is lost right now, so don't expect too much from him yet.

https://southcarolina.rivals.com/new...ampaign=buffer

Anyone know how much Coastal is favored by tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by GeoCocky66 View Post
    Anyone know how much Coastal is favored by tomorrow?

USC by 12 1/2.

UCF just beat Bama....... in MBB.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
    Silva did hurt his shoulder, pre-season, but I think Frank's excessive yelling has hurt the confidence of Silva and Kotsar.
    Sort of strange Silva would wait until his senior season after being first team all conference to suddenly lose his confidence because Frank yells at him.

Something else going on there.

Someone listed all the injuries in the preseason in another post. MBB is like the secondary on the football team.

I have a theory about that. When you ask guys with average talent to perform above their skill level (because you don't have anyone else) they tend to get hurt. The solution is to evaluate better and bring in guys who can perform at a higher level.

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
    ...or maybe they are both trying too hard to make Frank happy, or are in a slump that has nothing to do with Frank, or need time to adjust to the new players....

Silva's issues can absolutely be tied to his shoulder - taking away practice time to adjust to the new players and get into shape. Kotsar actually is playing like he always has - it is just that people (myself included) thought that he would pick it up notch or two this year. And he still might.

Injuries + lots of new players = slow start. The team should improve pretty quickly, so people should just chill. If they do not start improving, then people have a legit gripe.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    Someone listed all the injuries in the preseason in another post. MBB is like the secondary on the football team.

I have a theory about that. When you ask guys with average talent to perform above their skill level (because you don't have anyone else) they tend to get hurt. The solution is to evaluate better and bring in guys who can perform at a higher level.
    SMH. So if you work and try harder you will get injured more? That's really a stupid statement to make.

Will Minaya be back soon, if at all?
    Do ya thing

1st Team All-American crowcutta's Avatar

there was a story in the local rag jan 14th where frank gives an update. iono if all the quotes were from a press conference. at that time coach said hes close to being cleared for practice, that his quad strength would be tested later that day and when it gets to 85% of the strength of his other quad then he'd be cleared for on court work. apparently there was another update during coach's call in show which i missed and someone posted what was said in a premium area on rivals that im not a member of. i do have one sentence from the post.

Minaya ran for a mile on a treadmill at 70 percent body weight and the knee responded well.

there was a discussion with his parents about a potential redshirt right after the injury and minaya had another discussion with coach recently about it and coach told him to get healthy enough to practice then you and your family can make the decision thats in your best interest. my guess is within the next couple weeks he'll be cleared and that decision will be made.

i dont think the specifics have been released but it sounds like he had a meniscus injury. probably a torn lateral meniscus based on how long hes been out post surgery. longer recovery time than a medial meniscus tear, and theres a greater risk for pain and complications.

Gatorade Poster of d Year 75CarolinaFan's Avatar

ByJohn Del Bianco Jan 10, 6:51 PM “Justin did a little jogging today. One of the things that happened with Justin is when he injured the cartilage in his knee, his knee cap also subluxed and when that happens it’s like spraining something and it’s a little loose,” Martin said. “It hasn’t tightened up the way that anybody would like it too. And it will. That just comes from strengthening that and all the things that go with that. He’s in good spirits.”
    https://247sports.com/college/south-...ee--127660242/

It would be nice to have Justin back this year, but we are approaching the "point of no return" for this season. If he can't play by the end of this month he should redshirt.

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

What I liked reading was the part about consulting with Justin and his parents. I am sure that most of you are totally unaware of this, but Justin re-classified and came to college early, so a RS makes sense (and did you know that our starting QB, Jake Bentley also graduated HS a year early? - amazing but true). That is a refreshing approach as opposed to other coaches who only do what is best for themselves and their program (cough, Dabo Swinney, cough).

The flip side is that we sure could use him now. I read an update from yesterday that says he is about to be cleared for practice. Justin is not the going to wow people with dunks, but he would give us a better shooting option than Keyshawn at SF, and his ballhandling and D are first-rate for that position.

If we somehow manage to make the NCAA tourney, then it may be worth it to get Minaya back to have another 3 point shooter besides Gravett.

However getting an extra year from Justin down the line may make a world of difference once we lose Gravett. We don’t have many 3 point shooters besides them right now.
    Do ya thing

I definitely want Minaya back and I was really looking forward to his growth this season. We got to see him improve his inside game some but I think it would be best that he took the medical redshirt. Even if he's cleared within the next two weeks he probably won't hit his groove till by the the time the season is over. I say stay focus on being healthy and use this time to stay ahead on his academics.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

CFM mentioned the other day that he is watching Minaya closely in practices and will decide when he is ready according to what he is seeing out of Minaya in practice.