Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Will Grier skipping bowl game

Default Re: Will Grier skipping bowl game

Quote Originally Posted by 2k15 View Post
    Of course you never want to see a end their career with an injury on the last game of the season. When Deebo first announced his decision to not play, I fully respected and understood it. He's got money to make and he's earned it.

But it sucks as a fan, and it really sucks for the rest of the team. All the regular season games have been played and fought to get to this moment. The team fought their way to get to the postseason and earn a bowl. So for players to sit out and act like that culminating matchup doesn't even matter lessens the experience for the entire team.

All the suden, regular season games become more important than the postseason, and that's not really how it's designed to work.

I'm starting to see it as a disrespect to the team. By just calling it quits and moving on, a player is inadvertently sending the message to his teammates that the bowl game is a garbage 60 minutes played for fun.
    It depends on the bowl.. If we were playing in a higher tier bowl, no way he'd skip

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrainNC8 View Post
    It depends on the bowl.. If we were playing in a higher tier bowl, no way he'd skip
    Why do you say that?
    Some of the top prospects in the draft next year are even skipping those bowls.
    Sugar, Peach, Fiesta.

You wonít see it unless itís the playoff

I concur, Grier's absence was basically the reason his team lost.

As a player I'd feel terrible if I decided to stop playing prematurely, and it ended up negatively affecting every other guy on the team. I mean I understand the decision, but it totally delegitimizes the entire postseason for key players to quit and cost their entire team a win. To me, that's not the spirit of college football.
    Agreed. To me I guess it comes down to what you value. What do you want to be remembered for? Do you have faith in the future? What's your big picture?

You get one chance to leave your mark on this earth. Being a great teammate and accomplishing a season ending goal with the guys you've worked so hard with the past few years go much farther and will be much more fulfilling IMO than bailing on them for what you think is your own good.

I'm curious what Muschamp actually thinks of this move. We know what he publicly thinks. He has to say that. I'd be willing to bet it'd be different.
    Last edited by usc1; 12-28-2018 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrainNC8 View Post
    That's not true, Dexter Lawrence chose to skip Clemson's bowl game.

I concur, Grier's absence was basically the reason his team lost.

As a player I'd feel terrible if I decided to stop playing prematurely, and it ended up negatively affecting every other guy on the team. I mean I understand the decision, but it totally delegitimizes the entire postseason for key players to quit and cost their entire team a win. To me, that's not the spirit of college football.
    I don't know how you can claim to be a leader and a team player and watch your team play, when you could be with them, and watching them lose without you.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Geezus View Post
    I don't know how you can claim to be a leader and a team player and watch your team play, when you could be with them, and watching them lose without you.
    Exactly. Iím not sure if Grier was at their game, but you canít allow that as a coach. The only way it works is if you win anyway. Imagine coming to the sidelines after struggling or getting your tail cut and seeing your leader who is able to play just chilling on the sidelines. Not good for the culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
    Sorry, Tay, but this is incorrect. Clowney battled injuries early. He made the Pro Bowl in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Thatís far better than one good contract year.

People seem to buy into the myth that he doesnít play hard based on a few very early injury-riddled seasons. Since then he has been a straight beast.
    Not to mention stupid coaches think he's an outside lb

Quote Originally Posted by Old_School View Post
    Exactly. Iím not sure if Grier was at their game, but you canít allow that as a coach. The only way it works is if you win anyway. Imagine coming to the sidelines after struggling or getting your tail cut and seeing your leader who is able to play just chilling on the sidelines. Not good for the culture.
    Yeah deebo on the sideline really bothered me. I can respect your decision to not play but go get ready for the draft. We will help you do that pro day etc but come game day go sit in the stands if you want to be there

BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER GamecockUltimate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ccured View Post
    Yeah deebo on the sideline really bothered me. I can respect your decision to not play but go get ready for the draft. We will help you do that pro day etc but come game day go sit in the stands if you want to be there
    It also bothered me. He shouldnít have been with the team

I hope he wasn't at the game. If you choose not to play in the bowl game, then you are leaving the team in my opinion. You shouldn't be at any team activities.

Really hates Orange Teams ACPhilson's Avatar

This is becoming a thing now. So many kids skipping bowl games.
    RIP Fiesty and C-Girl

https://i.imgur.com/oXRPWTA.gif

Quote Originally Posted by ACPhilson View Post
    And itís only going to grow larger.
    And may even grow larger into what Bosa did

Randy Shannon has an interesting take on this.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...ikely-tank-nfl

Randy Shannon has an interesting take on this.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...ikely-tank-nfl
    Posted a page back.

The issue with the NFL is if they donít play because they donít want to the team can just fine them.

That canít happen in college.

Itís just going to get worse. More and more players are just using this as the minor leagues of pro football.
    Only way to not have your team have it happen is win

More and more studies coming out about CTE, they want to get to the league ASAP and make money

Quote Originally Posted by ACPhilson View Post
    This doesn't help. MSU NFL prospect broke his leg yesterday. He may not have been a high prospect, but it's a real issue nonetheless.

Michigan State star defensive end Kenny Willekes breaks leg in Redbox Bowl
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...wl/2455646002/

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Geezus View Post
    I hope he wasn't at the game. If you choose not to play in the bowl game, then you are leaving the team in my opinion. You shouldn't be at any team activities.
    Yeah I pretty much have to agree. Just look at some of the results so far. Hard to convince your players that the bowl game matters if youíre basically sitting your star players.

Some may not agree, and I respect that, but like it or not the situation isnít ignored by the players as much as some fans would like it to be. It changes the dynamic.

Again, the NFL can help with this by weighing the bowl performance into their evaluations. Bowl games are usually fun post-season match-ups, but this trend is going to kill that as it grows more rampant.

Quote Originally Posted by SheckWes View Post
    If I’m reading this right though. (This quote)
    He’s saying that in the NFL players are going to say they don’t want to play because they aren’t in the playoffs?

Well in the NFL there’s a way to fix that and it would for sure keep teams from keeping them from doing this. You fine them.

You can’t do that in college
    Everyone involved is making a business decision. College players are exercising their right as an unpaid student-athlete to not play in what is pretty much a volunteer league. Why would I risk myself just to continue to help your revenues that I see none of? Can’t fine me because you already don’t pay me. NCAA can’t have it both ways like in the past.

Sucks for their teammates and fans, but the NCAA doesn’t really care about those two groups.