Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Murray wins Heisman

Default Murray wins Heisman

Right call?

I donít think you can really argue against him, but I also suspect there was a healthy dose of anti-Bama sentiment that sunk Tua. I think to a certain extent people are sick of Bamaís success, and if they cantít keep them from winning they can at least control this.

Default Re: Murray wins Heisman

I think they were both pretty close with Tua having a slight edge going into last weekend. Tua had his worst game of the year and got hurt while Kyler Murray did what he normally does. I think that had a lot to do with him winning this year.

My initial thought is that I don't like the fact a guy that is only going to be in college football for one season was given the award. If his stats were a LOT better than everyone else's, then so be it, but in a close race I prefer to give it to someone that is playing college football and not running off to the Pro's in another sport.

My second thought was that unless Oklahoma pulls off the seemingly impossible and wins the National Championship this season, it will be amazing how often they have an elite QB, yet they rarely (talking recent history here - their last Title was in 2000) win the National Championship.

The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar

I'm OK with it.....the award is supposed to go to the best football player of the year, and not to the best football player of the best football team, that's full of top elite players that makes it much easier for said best player on the team to flex and romp and have a great year.

But put that same player on a lesser team, and make that player have to put that team on his shoulders and lead that team to unexpected success, and can he do it?? Sometimes, when a team like an Alabama constantly reloads and stacks and has 5-star talent standing on the sidelines watching others play - because that's how deep in talent the team is - it can actually hurt an elite players' chances, because it clouds up the question, "is the success because of that lone player, or is it because of that player plus 15-20 others??".

So you have a Tua that comes in for a Hurts who led his team to a championship, and never hardly lost anything, and that Tua blows up. Then when that Tua gets hurt, and Hurts comes back in, Hurts blows up and leads said team to another championship. But is it the player - Tua or Hurts - or is it the team that's built around them, that allows them to step in and immediately blow up in big games????

In the past, I have had a lesser regard for the Heisman, because once it was determined more by the committee of voters that focused on the point of the award, and not be lobby groups aiming to serve programs or conferences, or their own agendas (like ESPN). Sports journalists were given the task "who is the best college football player of the year", and they endeavored to answer that question.

Nowadays its more about "insider experts" making themselves look good and making programs and conferences that pay them broadcast money by "selling" their votes. So there's an awful lot of bias and hypocrisy in the process these days. Players have for a long while earned the award on the backs of talented teams they played for, rather than on their own achievements on the gridiron. And the "insiders" are also a bit too lazy to do the leg-work, and fall back on simply if there's a top-ranked team that's winning it all, just pick the most productive player on said team and say he's the one.

That's shady and sloppy all at once. Unless it's a Tim Tebow type player that blows up at the start of the season, keeps blowing up throughout the season, and then leads the team to a championship while blowing up at the end, then it's sort of made easy for the voters. Or Cam Newton, for the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
    My initial thought is that I don't like the fact a guy that is only going to be in college football for one season was given the award. If his stats were a LOT better than everyone else's, then so be it, but in a close race I prefer to give it to someone that is playing college football and not running off to the Pro's in another sport.

My second thought was that unless Oklahoma pulls off the seemingly impossible and wins the National Championship this season, it will be amazing how often they have an elite QB, yet they rarely (talking recent history here - their last Title was in 2000) win the National Championship.
    I don't think any of that should matter. Was he the most outstanding football player or not? It's a yes or no question and his background doesn't matter. Cam played 1 year too.

Quote Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
    I'm OK with it.....the award is supposed to go to the best football player of the year, and not to the best football player of the best football team, that's full of top elite players that makes it much easier for said best player on the team to flex and romp and have a great year.

I had a conversation with my Son on this very topic last week. I told him that a player like George Rogers could never win the Heisman today.

He asked me why and I said because Carolina didn't win enough games. It isn't about the "Best Player" anymore, it's the "Star Player" on a top team.

Ironically, The Heisman winner & National Champion didn't go together for many years.
    I'm no expert, just an "Ordinary Joe".

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCock View Post
    I had a conversation with my Son on this very topic last week. I told him that a player like George Rogers could never win the Heisman today.

He asked me why and I said because Carolina didn't win enough games. It isn't about the "Best Player" anymore, it's the "Star Player" on a top team.

Ironically, The Heisman winner & National Champion didn't go together for many years.
    Manziel and Lamar Jackson won Heismans and their teams were not the top teams.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCock View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndica...-ever.amp.html

Unfortunately, you are correct.
    "I'd rather have to say whoa than giddy-up" - Coach Will Muschamp

My initial thought is that I don't like the fact a guy that is only going to be in college football for one season was given the award.
    You are confused..Kyler Murray was at Texas am in 2015 and then transferred to ou. he sat out 2016 and got in some games in 2017 while at oklahoma..

He even played vs USC while at Texas am...
    Last edited by sc455; 12-09-2018 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Yea back then there was bias vs how old you were.
    Walker didnít win because was a freshman

Quote Originally Posted by SheckWes View Post
    Yea back then there was bias vs how old you were.
    Walker didnít win because was a freshman
    I saw that article. I think George won because he was the best player n the country at the time and had been consistent for two years. He had the most yards and the award mostly went to seniors back then. I don't think George would win today but I think a healthy Marcus Lattimore might have had a great chance.

Jake should win next year

They are ready to revoke his Heisman due to some tweets they found that he posted when he was 14!! The politically correct police don't miss much. The world we live in has become a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by DrZyn View Post
    He needs to win big games against top 25 teams.

People forget Big George only played one half in the first two games and had over 100 yards in each. He still had more yards than HW.
    While the argument is fair, it is also fair that George won with less publicity.
    As a pro George was rookie of the year and lead the NFL in rushing. HW as a pro not much.
    HW was the better athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by DrZyn View Post
    If he goes to Auburn?

Quote Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
    You are confused..Kyler Murray was at Texas am in 2015 and then transferred to ou. he sat out 2016 and got in some games in 2017 while at oklahoma..

He even played vs USC while at Texas am...

Yeah, I was definitely confused there for a minute.

No real issues with him winning the Heisman then. As long as the committee felt he was the best candidate and it wasn't some anti-Bama or anti-SEC thing, I'm cool with it.

Yeah, I was definitely confused there for a minute.

No real issues with him winning the Heisman then. As long as the committee felt he was the best candidate and it wasn't some anti-Bama or anti-SEC thing, I'm cool with it.
    So you felt Cam shouldnít have that year?

Quote Originally Posted by SheckWes View Post
    So you felt Cam shouldnít have that year?

Cam was at FL for 2 years, then went to Binn College and finally to Auburn. He was in college plenty long enough to get a degree.

Plus, I did put the stipulation in that unless they are head and shoulders above the other Heisman candidates....

Cam deserved the Heisman and I'm no Cam fan, even though I do like the Panthers (not a huge NFL guy, but they are the more local team, so I adopted them).

He's the reason we lost to a&m in 2015. Went for like 250 and 100 rushing