Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 'Influential Voices' Ready to Discuss 8-Team Playoff Format

Default Re: 'Influential Voices' Ready to Discuss 8-Team Playoff Format

That extra bowl game would get great viewership too... like watching the Cinderella team get the shot. I would think it would be a win/win for fans, university athletics, and the media.

It isn't what everyone wants as a real solution... but it is incrementally better than what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Absfract View Post
    I still think my idea is the least disruptive to the current system and solves the problem of undefeated teams. I mean, you could make up side rules like you have to be in the top 25 to be considered at all, but I think rarely are there any teams at the end of the season that are undefeated and not in the top 25.
    If fact, you could force one of the top bowls like the rose bowl for example to host #4 and an undefeated team if they exist and the prize is a playoff spot for the winner. In general, the #4 team would be the only team that would need to do this, but it could be expanded.

If they were to do it that way, then the "side rule" I would want added is that the undefeated team must be in the top 40 in SOS. That would eliminate small schools with weak schedules.

No need to expand to 8. CFB historically has proven that no more than 3-4 teams in a given season are talented enough and deserving enough to compete for the national title. We should stop this nonsense about 2 and 3 loss teams.

Personally, I'd pick UGA over OU and ND if they played against each other. But CFB has always shown a mixture of "the best" and "most deserving." UGA's 2nd loss did them in and I'm totally fine with that. OU deserved to be in over them bc I don't consider 2 loss teams unless it's a really wacky season.

I've thought about the idea of playing an "if necessary" game. For example, you could theoretically let OU and OSU compete for the final spot in the playoff. If there's an apples to apples comparison over one spot let them take it out on the field. However, I'm fine with just putting OU in over OSU bc I put a lot of weight in who a team loses to and how they lost. If you study CFB rankings historically, losses have played a greater role than the wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Absfract View Post
    I still think my idea is the least disruptive to the current system and solves the problem of undefeated teams. I mean, you could make up side rules like you have to be in the top 25 to be considered at all, but I think rarely are there any teams at the end of the season that are undefeated and not in the top 25.
    If fact, you could force one of the top bowls like the rose bowl for example to host #4 and an undefeated team if they exist and the prize is a playoff spot for the winner. In general, the #4 team would be the only team that would need to do this, but it could be expanded.
    This is incredibly disruptive and in no way possible. You have a system that could have possible additional 1-3 games for play-in format. Thatís a big pain in the butt and constant management. Less disruptive than your option is the 8 team format thatís been discussed with P5 and 2-3 at large spots. First round played at higher seeds field prior to Christmas.

Order Of The Spur

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Quote Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
    If the FBS went to the FCS model they could have the 1st 2 rounds at the higher seedsí home field. This would give incintive to finish in the top 8 in order to get a bye/home game and for others to finish 9-16 in order to get a home game in the first round. Once the first 2 rounds are over and the elite 8 are set, have the remaining games played at the Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, Orange, Cotton, and Peach Bowls with the championship game location determined like the Super Bowl host site each year.

If it gives us a better opportunity to play for a championship, Iím all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
    24 team field with 8 getting a 1st round bye. Certainly is inclusive and would shut up most of the arguments against being left out ("then you should have won another game").

The eventual finalists could potentially play 5 additional games though, almost another half season. That's a lot of games. I'm curious why FCS is ok with that and FBS wouldn't be. It's the same game, just played by arguably better skilled players - debatable in some cases.

I'd be for adopting this format and having a tournament month. Incorporate the bowls (23 fo them!) and make them all meaningful again. Could potentially impact bowl attendance though as fanbases wouldn't be able to plan around a single bowl destination and given how much more FBS is about $$ than FCS, the balance sheets would have to be bolstered somehow, perhaps tv. One of the nice things about the FCS model is that they're already done with all but the final game, which means FBS could use the remaining two weeks in December and not siphon attention from FCS. Heck, synch up the two championship games (maybe even in the same venue) and give FCS some additional exposure.

An 8 team bracket is a good interim step. It doubles the field and only adds one more game to the finalists' schedules. It's a much easier sell in the short term.

Saw a post on twitter saying Washington is first team in during like 5-10 years to win a P5 conference with more than 2 losses; they have 3. If that’s true, just further supports the auto bids for P5 would be reasonable and usually to a team who could prove the conference is so good that’s why they’re losing more than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
    Saw a post on twitter saying Washington is first team in during like 5-10 years to win a P5 conference with more than 2 losses; they have 3. If thatís true, just further supports the auto bids for P5 would be reasonable and usually to a team who could prove the conference is so good thatís why theyíre losing more than others.

Actually, since 2 losses is too many, any team ever winning a conference with 3 losses just further proves the need to remain at 4 (at most).

What if Pitt would of had a one off game and beat Clemson in the ACC championship? What happens then? You would have a one loss division loser, it probably would have kicked them out of the top 4. Do you think they are still one of the best and "deserving" (hate that word here because it's very opinionated)? Should Pitt be in because they had beat the #2 team? This is what expanding the playoff bracket would help eliminate. Also teams like UCF, just because they didn't have the chance to play UA, Clemson, Georgia, etc. during the season shouldn't mean they don't have a chance to play in the playoffs.

The more you expand the bracket the more it takes out the human element of the committee which would be a very good thing.

Saw a post on twitter saying Washington is first team in during like 5-10 years to win a P5 conference with more than 2 losses; they have 3. If thatís true, just further supports the auto bids for P5 would be reasonable and usually to a team who could prove the conference is so good thatís why theyíre losing more than others.
    Wow, I would say it supports the complete opposite. If your conference champion has 3 losses maybe they should NOT get an automatic bid.

For the record I think the idea of an auto bid is terrible. How are we to assume that the p5 conference champions make up the top 5 teams in the country?

Quote Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
    Wow, I would say it supports the complete opposite. If your conference champion has 3 losses maybe they should NOT get an automatic bid.

For the record I think the idea of an auto bid is terrible. How are we to assume that the p5 conference champions make up the top 5 teams in the country?
    So out of 25-50 teams to win a P5 only 1 has had 3+ losses and that supports not auto bidding the P5. Yeah...youíre making zero sense.

If yíall were Pac 12 or Big 10 fans youíd be all about having 8 teams. Just because Iím an SEC fan doesnít make me not realize the current system can be possibly bias towards the SEC.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockadoo View Post
    What if Pitt would of had a one off game and beat Clemson in the ACC championship? What happens then? You would have a one loss division loser, it probably would have kicked them out of the top 4. Do you think they are still one of the best and "deserving" (hate that word here because it's very opinionated)? Should Pitt be in because they had beat the #2 team? This is what expanding the playoff bracket would help eliminate. Also teams like UCF, just because they didn't have the chance to play UA, Clemson, Georgia, etc. during the season shouldn't mean they don't have a chance to play in the playoffs.

The more you expand the bracket the more it takes out the human element of the committee which would be a very good thing.
    If Pitt beat Clemson in the auto bid format than Iíd say yes put them in. If you win a P5 conference, I have no problem with them playing to win it all. Itís better than current format that has reward teams who lost their division to the conference champ but yet got in because their league champ actually played an OOC and lost a game.

If a 7-5 team goes on to win a conference championship and 3 playoff games vs top 4-8 ranked teams, then they deserve to be the National champions. The fact some argue against that miraculous run of wins and thinks that team isnít the best than whatís the point in playing the games?

Quote Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
    Actually, since 2 losses is too many, any team ever winning a conference with 3 losses just further proves the need to remain at 4 (at most).
    I guess we should go back and remove the BCS title from LSU in 2007.

If Pitt beat Clemson in the auto bid format than Iíd say yes put them in. If you win a P5 conference, I have no problem with them playing to win it all. Itís better than current format that has reward teams who lost their division to the conference champ but yet got in because their league champ actually played an OOC and lost a game.

If a 7-5 team goes on to win a conference championship and 3 playoff games vs top 4-8 ranked teams, then they deserve to be the National champions. The fact some argue against that miraculous run of wins and thinks that team isnít the best than whatís the point in playing the games?

I agree partially. I'm against auto-bid but I am for putting a team with losses in if they are perceived to be a good team and everyone knows it.

I highly doubt that any system that they deploy will significantly increase the number of games teams play OR cause higher variance in the number of games that all teams can play every year beyond the 2 additional games that the current national championship forces the top teams to play in compared to all other teams that don't go bowling.

The thing that I find odd about all of this is that they claim they don't want to increase the games much, but they already have.

Appr. 12 years ago there were 11 regular season games, 1 conference title game for those that made it and one National Championship game for a total of 13 games at most that any teams could play.

Now, there are 12 regular season games, 1 conference title game for those that made it and up to 2 games in the playoffs for a total of 15 games at most that any team can play.

So they have already jumped the games played up by 2 to win it all.

If they decide to up the playoffs, I think 8 would be the absolute most and I think they might would even consider dropping regular season games back to 11 to keep the total at 15.

Any more than that and they may as well be paid employees, rather than student-athletes.

I think the only answer is that all teams have to drop the crap, easy win game every year. Otherwise, it becomes a money issue. So, really only one game to play with.

Getting everyone to agree to do that... not sure how that will fly...

I used to be of the mindset that we have way too many bowls and should get rid of half of them. Since then I have seen some players reactions that are playing in some of the smaller bowls and the excitement that some of them have makes it all worthwhile.

For anyone that doesn't like the "lesser bowls", just don't watch them. Seriously, it is that simple.

For me, a college football nut, I will watch almost any college football game that is on. Sure, some bowl games are more interesting to me than some others, but I watched at least some of at least 3 of the 5 bowl games from this past Saturday.

As for the playoffs expanding, I'm sure it will eventually expand, but it won't be nearly as soon as some are expecting. There are still a lot of important people that are saying they aren't even ready to consider expanding. It isn't even on their "agenda" for discussions.

Regardless of what it does eventually get expanded to, there will always be some that want it expanded even more. You will never please everyone. Expand it to 8 and UCF will be #9 and still whining.