Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

Thread: Best Hash & Rice -BBQ Restaurant

  1. #21
    1st Team All-SEC uscgmck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    4,838

    Default Re: Best Hash & Rice -BBQ Restaurant

    Henry's Smokehouse Greenville,SC
    The Boss says "GO"
    The Leader says "LETS GO"




  2. #22
    Bowl MVP dreammachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clearwater, S.C.
    Posts
    2,263

    Default Re: Best Hash & Rice -BBQ Restaurant

    I tied the Bar-B-Que Barn in North Augusta, SC and it is fair to marginally good. A lot of people love Sconyer's BBQ in Augusta, GA and I would have to say it is most likely the 2nd best place to eat BBQ and Hash & Rice. Their BBQ is a more sweeter taste, but their hash is good. Still prefer Carolina BBQ in New Ellenton.

  3. #23
    Bowl MVP dreammachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clearwater, S.C.
    Posts
    2,263

    Default Re: Best Hash & Rice -BBQ Restaurant

    Found a great recipe for making "RED SC HASH". I used to help my grandfather and his good friend make it when I was a little fellow, but have not made it by myself - ever. Got a few projects to get out of the way and then I hope to do it one weekend and see how it comes out.

    Has anyone else out there made their own "hash" and people loved it??? Let us know.

  4. #24
    Bowl MVP dreammachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clearwater, S.C.
    Posts
    2,263

    Default Re: Best Hash & Rice -BBQ Restaurant

    I will be going down to New Ellenton, SC to look at some furniture this week and will make it a point to go by "Carolina BBQ" and eat some of their great Que!!!!

  5. #25
    Bowl MVP dreammachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clearwater, S.C.
    Posts
    2,263

    Default Re: Best Hash & Rice -BBQ Restaurant

    I was back at Carolina BBQ in New Ellenton, SC again yesterday and made it a special point to go by Carolina BBQ and had me two plates of their great BBQ and Hash & Rice!!!! Just cannot beat this place for quality BBQ and a very fair price. Still looking for furniture and I will need to make a few more runs down that way to decide on the furniture that my wife wants, so I try to plan it when I need a "good BBQ Fix"!!!

  6. #26
    1st Team All-SEC uscgmck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    4,838

    Default Re: Best Hash & Rice -BBQ Restaurant

    Tell me about furniture in New Ellenton?
    The Boss says "GO"
    The Leader says "LETS GO"




  7. #27
    Household Name kingofnerf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Straight Outta CLA
    Posts
    6,691

    Default Re: Best Hash & Rice -BBQ Restaurant

    It's not in business anymore, but back in the day there was a place called Rick's BBQ out in the country on Hwy 10 in Greenwood.

    It was a simple cinder block building with a dining area next to the kitchen.

    The owner's last name was Rickenbacker, hence the name.

    He also sold velvet Elvis rugs and they hung on the walls in the dining room.

    Everything there tasted good, but the velvet rugs have stayed in my mind over the years.

    I don't think they serve hash and rice, but I used to go to Schoolhouse BBQ in Scranton a lot when I lived in Florence back in the 1990s.

  8. #28
    Bowl MVP dreammachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clearwater, S.C.
    Posts
    2,263

    Default Re: Best Hash & Rice -BBQ Restaurant

    Quote Originally Posted by uscgmck View Post
    Tell me about furniture in New Ellenton?
    It is called "Ashley's On Main" in New Ellenton, SC. It was started back in the 50's by Ashley's father and since that time they have bought up the buildings next to them and own a large showcase store with a huge storage building behind his main store. They stock all the "named furniture items" and pretty much can get you whatever you want. Their prices will beat anyone around and Ashley is a great guy. If you want quality furniture at a fair price, then go to New Ellenton, SC - eat you some great BBQ at "Carolina BBQ" and then head back up the street a couple of blocks and Ashley's On Main is on the same side of the road as Carolina BBQ.

  9. #29
    Two Deep davisd9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Rock Hill, SC
    Posts
    1,239

    Default Re: Best Hash & Rice -BBQ Restaurant

    Ward's or the BBQ Hut in Sumter

  10. #30
    Household Name kingofnerf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Straight Outta CLA
    Posts
    6,691

    Default Re: Best Hash & Rice -BBQ Restaurant

    Quote Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
    It is called "Ashley's On Main" in New Ellenton, SC. It was started back in the 50's by Ashley's father and since that time they have bought up the buildings next to them and own a large showcase store with a huge storage building behind his main store. They stock all the "named furniture items" and pretty much can get you whatever you want. Their prices will beat anyone around and Ashley is a great guy. If you want quality furniture at a fair price, then go to New Ellenton, SC - eat you some great BBQ at "Carolina BBQ" and then head back up the street a couple of blocks and Ashley's On Main is on the same side of the road as Carolina BBQ.
    I bought a love seat and chair from Big Daddy's over in North several years ago.

    It was worth the trip.

    I believe he has since passed away.

  11. #31
    Bowl MVP dreammachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clearwater, S.C.
    Posts
    2,263

    Default Re: Best Hash & Rice -BBQ Restaurant

    Had a late lunch with a Big Gamecock Booster at Carolina BBQ last Friday. Since it is an "all you can eat buffet" - I really loaded up on my first plate with BBQ - hash & rice - tater salad - & a little bit of fried okra with a few buttered pickles on the side. Top off with a couple glasses of sweet tea!!! Could not do 2nd plate or dessert bar afterwards. I was basically pretty miserable for the next three hours - but dang it was great!!!! Can't wait to do it again - soon!!!




  12. #32
    2nd Team All-SEC Senior Rooster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lexington. SC
    Posts
    2,696

    Default Re: Best Hash & Rice -BBQ Restaurant

    Quote Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
    Had a late lunch with a Big Gamecock Booster at Carolina BBQ last Friday. Since it is an "all you can eat buffet" - I really loaded up on my first plate with BBQ - hash & rice - tater salad - & a little bit of fried okra with a few buttered pickles on the side. Top off with a couple glasses of sweet tea!!! Could not do 2nd plate or dessert bar afterwards. I was basically pretty miserable for the next three hours - but dang it was great!!!! Can't wait to do it again - soon!!!



    Dang! That sounds good. My wife says she don't want to drive that far. Might have to go by myself when she goes off with one of our daughters.


    OORAH!!!!!!!

  13. #33
    Yellow Bellied Sapsucker hank scorpio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    I Never had Relations with that Russian
    Posts
    1,211

    Default Re: Best Hash & Rice -BBQ Restaurant

    I went to Farm Boys in chapin a while back, they were in a new building/ location from last time I went 15 or 20 years ago. I wouldn't call it the best, but it was very good all around.

    I tried wards in Sumter a couple weeks ago and the hash tasted like ketchup and the bbq seemed to have come from a crockpot...their bbq sauce was really good though. I'm pretty sure I'd rather eat liver hash from some of them peedee bbq joints than their hash. But what do I know? Lots of people love the canned crockpot boiled peanuts in the gas station too, but not me.

    Tried Wises between Clinton and Newberry last week and every single thing I ate was awesome.

    I'll definitely go back to Farm Boys and Wises, but not Wards.

    Any good spots in Orangeburg, Lancaster, Rock Hill?
    Last edited by hank scorpio; 06-25-2019 at 04:18 AM.
    #Fake Smart

  14. #34
    Bowl MVP dreammachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clearwater, S.C.
    Posts
    2,263

    Default Re: Best Hash & Rice -BBQ Restaurant

    Quote Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post
    I went to Farm Boys in chapin a while back, they were in a new building/ location from last time I went 15 or 20 years ago. I wouldn't call it the best, but it was very good all around.

    I tried wards in Sumter a couple weeks ago and the hash tasted like ketchup and the bbq seemed to have come from a crockpot...their bbq sauce was really good though. I'm pretty sure I'd rather eat liver hash from some of them peedee bbq joints than their hash. But what do I know? Lots of people love the canned crockpot boiled peanuts in the gas station too, but not me.

    Tried Wises between Clinton and Newberry last week and every single thing I ate was awesome.

    I'll definitely go back to Farm Boys and Wises, but not Wards.

    Any good spots in Orangeburg, Lancaster, Rock Hill?


    Hank it sounds as though you are making the rounds taking in a lot of different BBQ Places. I don't know of any good BBQ Places in Rock Hill (There May Be Plenty) and the same for Lancaster. I have heard that Dukes in Orangeburg is OK? I have not been there myself. I will tell you that there is a "Wing Place In Rock Hill, on Oak Ave - down my Winthrop University" that is real good. It use to be called "Wing King, but I think they call it Wing Bonz" now. They have some of the best wings I have ever had. I saw J. Clowney in there one day!!!

  15. #35
    Bowl MVP dreammachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clearwater, S.C.
    Posts
    2,263

    Default Re: Best Hash & Rice -BBQ Restaurant

    Quote Originally Posted by zappa View Post
    1A-Sweatman's in Holly Hill
    1B-Music Man BBQ in Moncks Corner
    They had Sweatman's BBQ on "Man-Fire-Food" the other night. Never been there, but I have heard a lot about it.

  16. #36
    1st Team All-SEC pitchcock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Johns Island SC
    Posts
    4,324

    Default Re: Best Hash & Rice -BBQ Restaurant

    Quote Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
    They had Sweatman's BBQ on "Man-Fire-Food" the other night. Never been there, but I have heard a lot about it.
    Sweatman’s changed several years ago, IIRC it was after a change in ownership. It was still good, but they limited you on the buffet ribs, and the overall flavor just seemed to change a bit.

    Seems like I remember the long time pit master passed away.

  17. #37
    Bowl MVP dreammachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clearwater, S.C.
    Posts
    2,263

    Default Re: Best Hash & Rice -BBQ Restaurant

    I cooked three slabs of St. Louis Style Ribs tonight for some friends/family. One of my guest brought some hash and rice from Sconyer's BBQ out of Augusta, GA and it was pretty good, but not as good as Carolina BBQ in New Ellenton, SC!!!

  18. #38
    Grumpy Old Fart The Yancey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sunshiny Florida
    Posts
    28,781

    Default Re: Best Hash & Rice -BBQ Restaurant

    I refuse to eat the offal hash they serve in the Pee Dee. I grew up in the Old 96 district and that is still my favorite BBQ and has style. It was more akin to the eastern NC style than any of the other SC styles. The meat was pulled into chunks, not individual strands that lose their flavor to a sauce. It and the hash were grey in color with a vinegar and S&P based seasoning. The old folks loved that hash 'cause they didn't have to put their teeth into eat it! The nest was made just on holidays at a small country store in Mountville. The hash was cooked in a cast iron washtub. The real secret was that they added some goat to the meat mix. The tradition was carried on by a couple of volunteer fire departments but much has been lost over the ensuing decades. Haven't been able to find meat or hash like that in ages.
    Order Of The Spur

    I miss Old Cocky Talk



  19. #39
    Bowl MVP dreammachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clearwater, S.C.
    Posts
    2,263

    Default Re: Best Hash & Rice -BBQ Restaurant

    Quote Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
    I refuse to eat the offal hash they serve in the Pee Dee. I grew up in the Old 96 district and that is still my favorite BBQ and has style. It was more akin to the eastern NC style than any of the other SC styles. The meat was pulled into chunks, not individual strands that lose their flavor to a sauce. It and the hash were grey in color with a vinegar and S&P based seasoning. The old folks loved that hash 'cause they didn't have to put their teeth into eat it! The nest was made just on holidays at a small country store in Mountville. The hash was cooked in a cast iron washtub. The real secret was that they added some goat to the meat mix. The tradition was carried on by a couple of volunteer fire departments but much has been lost over the ensuing decades. Haven't been able to find meat or hash like that in ages.
    I worked for a old gentleman back when I was "knee-high to a grasshopper" and this gentleman had turned his old service station into a BBQ Restaurant and he had some great old time BBQ. He made his hash outside under a big old sycamore tree (weather permitting) and he would let me stand out by the this huge - black iron pot - and he gave me a small boat paddle and my job was to stir the hash - every so often - as he could watch me through the window in his BBQ Cafe and his voice could carry and he constantly reminded me of my duties. My pay was "all the hash & rice" a little fellow could eat back in those days and I tried to eat everything that they would give me back then as the food was awesome. His hash was more a "tomato base" and tasted great and yes they put everything but the "squeal in this hash" as nothing from the hog went to waste as the vast majority of these people had lived through the depression and really, really, valued food and not wasting it. I sometimes wonder how many kids would stand around a smoky fire and stir hash with a small boat paddle today for the pay I got??? Most likely not one??? To me it was a great and wonderful experience - back in the day.

  20. #40
    Heisman Candidate Flameout12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Anthem, AZ
    Posts
    18,578

    Default Re: Best Hash & Rice -BBQ Restaurant

    Dukes in the lowcountry had some good hash in it's day. Not sure if they are even still making BBQ.


    BTW....go try and find some hash out west. You have all these BBQ places (Texas/Kansas City, etc), that seem to think they invented the stuff. They may know meat, but they don't know their hash/rice or slaw.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •