Thread: A History of Flavoring Food With Beaver Butt Juice

Default A History of Flavoring Food With Beaver Butt Juice

An interesting read.

I’m a historian who writes about the flavor industry. This means I’ve witnessed firsthand the weird obsession some people have with castoreum, a beaver-gland-derived flavor ingredient, and the notion that we are all unwittingly eating beaver butt juice. Vani Hari, the health-and-wellness blogger known as the Food Babe, didn’t start this fire, but she’s certainly fanned its flames. In a video on her YouTube channel, she sits on a log, chatting up a stuffed beaver doll. Beavers, she says, “flavor a ton of foods at the grocery store with their little butthole.” Over a close-up of a beaver’s anus—a puckered hole ringed with chestnut fur—Hari explains that castoreum is considered a “natural flavor” by the FDA. “It’s far cheaper to use castoreum, or beaver’s butt, to flavor strawberry oatmeal than using actual strawberries,” she claims, without providing any numbers to support this assertion.

Castoreum—a classy, antique-sounding word, jazzed up by its neat near-rhyme with “santorum”—stands in for all of the bizarre, filthy, and perverse things that “they,” the corporate monsters of processed snacks, are doing to your food. While Hari is correct that castoreum is classified as a natural flavor, she’s wrong about basically everything else. No, castoreum is not a cheap substitute for strawberries; it’s a luxe, artisanal material. And it’s not beaver butt; technically, it’s not even from beaver anal glands. Sure, the castor sacs are right next to the anal glands, but while anal excretions smell like motor oil (in male beavs) or rancid cheese (in the ladies), the yellowish oily fluid in the castors gets its fragrance from plant compounds concentrated from beavers’ wild diets. It’s basically beaver-made herbal essences.
    https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/arti...ver-butt-juice
    Order Of The Spur

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Default Re: A History of Flavoring Food With Beaver Butt Juice

WTF....food edition

I can always tell when it's a Yancey thread before I even open it.

Quote Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
    I can always tell when it's a Yancey thread before I even open it.
    Yep...and we click on them and read them. They are always interesting!
    "Fear causes hesitation,
    And hesitation causes
    Your worst fears
    to come true." Bodhi.