Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 75

Thread: Notre Dame

  1. #21
    ONE NINE 3 cack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    27,208

    Default Re: Notre Dame

    Quote Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
    Thats why an 8 team playoff is, imo the answer. P5 conference winners and the 3 next beast teams.

    That or do away with playing a conference championship to level the playing field.

    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    I agree and believe it should stop there. I disagree with automatic bids though. Any other season a team could win the WAC with 3 losses and just because they won that 1 game doesn't mean they're one of the best teams.

    I say take the top 8 best teams. That way you're probably only pulling in a 1 loss team or a 2 loss team that lost in the conference championship (you could very well have a team play Bama or even Clemson during the regular season and then face them again in the conference championship), but you keep the regular season valid. If you move anywhere past 8 teams dropping a game won't matter at all and also gives you a chance to drop 2 and if you were high enough preseason still making it in.
    Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ


    Quote Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
    I agree with Cack.

  2. #22
    Blue Chip spurfan93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    columbia
    Posts
    832

    Default Re: Notre Dame

    Quote Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
    Thats why an 8 team playoff is, imo the answer. P5 conference winners and the 3 next beast teams.

    That or do away with playing a conference championship to level the playing field.

    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Conference championship winners in the playoff is just a horrible idea. Conferences are not equal. What has Washington done to deserve a playoff spot?

  3. #23
    Starter RockRocks787's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Greer, SC
    Posts
    1,287

    Default Re: Notre Dame

    I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss the BCS system. More and more players are skipping the non-playoff bowl games and most of the bowl games have just been flat out boring...especially ours.



  4. #24
    Heisman Candidate sc455's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    south carolina
    Posts
    16,286

    Default Re: Notre Dame

    UGA had it's shot in Atlanta and failed. They had their chance.
    .[/QUOTE]
    while nd sat home and watched..after nd beat ball state by 7, pitt by 6, etc .

    nd will continually get lambasted in these games..

  5. #25
    Starter SheckWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Buckhead
    Posts
    1,329

    Default Re: Notre Dame

    Quote Originally Posted by spurfan93 View Post
    Conference championship winners in the playoff is just a horrible idea. Conferences are not equal. What has Washington done to deserve a playoff spot?
    Itís not only that.
    Say Haskins gets hurt in the Ohio State game and NW got lucky and wins that one game?
    A 4 loss team with losses to Duke and Akron should be playing for a national title because their division sucked?
    GeoCocky was right, GSW did not beat the Bucks in 5 in the finals

  6. #26
    1st Team All-American Lalli25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aldie, Va
    Posts
    10,429

    Default Re: Notre Dame

    Quote Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
    They don't play a pac 12 schedule, they play an acc schedule. Join a conference or get left out. Why have conferences or conference championship games if they dont matter? The sec is clearly the exception and not the rule of having multiple teams the last few years. That said it should be the 4 best teams and no way in the world you can tell me nd is better than uga
    Conference championships are money makers nothing else. Again, you canít argue now conference championships matter when a year ago Bama didnít win it and played in the CFP. Did you complain when OSU lost to psu but got in without a championship? This mythical need for conference championships needs to go away. Itís just a made up excuse this year to be bias vs ND.

    Quote Originally Posted by longhaul View Post
    It would have changed if they were made to play in the ACC of which they are a part of and that is my point. I say either your whole athletics program is in a conference or none of it is. Not hating on Notre Dame, just think there needs to be some consistency. I actually dislike OU more than ND.
    Not NDís fault that they are a big enough brand on their own that the ACC agrees to the terms that allows them to be independent in football and not other sports. ND has been consistent in the fact they wonít give up independence in football. A big reason ND wonít agree to a conference is academic more than athletic.

  7. #27
    1st Team All-American Lalli25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aldie, Va
    Posts
    10,429

    Default Re: Notre Dame

    Quote Originally Posted by RockRocks787 View Post
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but I miss the BCS system. More and more players are skipping the non-playoff bowl games and most of the bowl games have just been flat out boring...especially ours.
    I think coaches are pushing guys to sit out so they can play the younger guys with the new redshirt rule.

  8. #28
    Heisman Winner Master Bedroom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Upstairs
    Posts
    21,592

    Default Re: Notre Dame

    Quote Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
    Conference championships are money makers nothing else. Again, you canít argue now conference championships matter when a year ago Bama didnít win it and played in the CFP. Did you complain when OSU lost to psu but got in without a championship? This mythical need for conference championships needs to go away. Itís just a made up excuse this year to be bias vs ND.



    Not NDís fault that they are a big enough brand on their own that the ACC agrees to the terms that allows them to be independent in football and not other sports. ND has been consistent in the fact they wonít give up independence in football. A big reason ND wonít agree to a conference is academic more than athletic.
    Bullshit, this isn't a notre dame persecution thread. They grabbed the acc by the taint and the acc let them. Join the conference or not, do away with conferences and championship games or don't. Not to say there won't be outliers but if notre dame was playing in the ccg this would have already been settled. You telling me you think ucf should be in it too?

  9. #29
    1st Team All-American Lalli25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aldie, Va
    Posts
    10,429

    Default Re: Notre Dame

    Quote Originally Posted by SheckWes View Post
    Itís not only that.
    Say Haskins gets hurt in the Ohio State game and NW got lucky and wins that one game?
    A 4 loss team with losses to Duke and Akron should be playing for a national title because their division sucked?
    So do conference championships matter or not? You canít have it both ways. You either auto bid P5 winners or stop complaining about teams who didnít win a conference. Again, none of this whining was happening when OSU and Bama got in. OSU lost worse than ND yet itís ok because they play in the weak Big 10.

  10. #30
    Starter BringBackGarcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    1,329

    Default Re: Notre Dame

    Quote Originally Posted by cack View Post
    I agree and believe it should stop there. I disagree with automatic bids though. Any other season a team could win the WAC with 3 losses and just because they won that 1 game doesn't mean they're one of the best teams.

    I say take the top 8 best teams. That way you're probably only pulling in a 1 loss team or a 2 loss team that lost in the conference championship (you could very well have a team play Bama or even Clemson during the regular season and then face them again in the conference championship), but you keep the regular season valid. If you move anywhere past 8 teams dropping a game won't matter at all and also gives you a chance to drop 2 and if you were high enough preseason still making it in.


    I get the point, and we're digressing into what-ifs, but I still think there's room for the conference champs and the top three teams.


    And yeah, every year they'll be a conference champ that probably isn't one of the top 8 teams, but it makes the conference championship games important (otherwise, at 8 teams, it's almost better to drop one regular season game in the SEC and not play in Atlanta) and also with the three at large would be able to pick up the teams that missed b/c of a bad conference game. And if said team is that much on the bubble, they don't deserve to be there anyway.


    Whatever the method, 8 teams and it will encompass everyone with any reasonable argument.

  11. #31
    1st Team All-American Lalli25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aldie, Va
    Posts
    10,429

    Default Re: Notre Dame

    Quote Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
    Bullshit, this isn't a notre dame persecution thread. They grabbed the acc by the taint and the acc let them. Join the conference or not, do away with conferences and championship games or don't. Not to say there won't be outliers but if notre dame was playing in the ccg this would have already been settled. You telling me you think ucf should be in it too?
    ND to UCF is apples to oranges but appreciate the straw man. ND plays 10 P5 teams, more than anyone does for their regular season and no FCS teams, unlike UGA. Yet somehow playing a 13th game vs a 4 loss team makes all the difference to some here. Itís is clearly an anti ND bias, because not 1/10 of this outrage existed when the same things have happened in the past.

    ND loss, it happens, but it isnít like theyíre the first playoff team to lose by a lot. OU is 0-3 yet itís ok because they play in the Big 12 with some of the worst teams in college football.

  12. #32
    Heisman Winner Master Bedroom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Upstairs
    Posts
    21,592

    Default Re: Notre Dame

    Quote Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
    ND to UCF is apples to oranges but appreciate the straw man. ND plays 10 P5 teams, more than anyone does for their regular season and no FCS teams, unlike UGA. Yet somehow playing a 13th game vs a 4 loss team makes all the difference to some here. Itís is clearly an anti ND bias, because not 1/10 of this outrage existed when the same things have happened in the past.

    ND loss, it happens, but it isnít like theyíre the first playoff team to lose by a lot. OU is 0-3 yet itís ok because they play in the Big 12 with some of the worst teams in college football.
    You are completely ignoring the elephant in this situation. Notre dame is in the acc except for the football championship game....they even get bowl tie-ins. It is a complete and total sham. This game would have already been settled if they played in the acccg. I already told you outliers happen with bama/osu and maybe the conference champion isn't the "best" team from that conference. But at least they are in a conference and, for the most part, settled it on the field with the same parameters as every other major conference. What do these other schools gain from having to play a championship game if it doesn't factor somewhat into the discussion. You keep degrading other conferences while notre dame has some half-ass agreement with the weakest conference in the P5, simply hilarious

  13. #33
    Household Name FurmanCock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mills River, NC
    Posts
    5,059

    Default Re: Notre Dame

    Quote Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
    A big reason ND wonít agree to a conference is academic more than athletic.
    I'm going to disagree here. The big reason ND will join a conference in all other sports except football is purely money. They have a large network television contract for football that they do not have to split with any other teams. The academic argument apparently doesn't apply to any of the other sports, so it seems a little suspicious to apply it solely to football.

    It's always money.

  14. #34
    Blue Chip longhaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    CHARLESTON
    Posts
    802

    Default Re: Notre Dame

    Quote Originally Posted by FurmanCock View Post
    I'm going to disagree here. The big reason ND will join a conference in all other sports except football is purely money. They have a large network television contract for football that they do not have to split with any other teams. The academic argument apparently doesn't apply to any of the other sports, so it seems a little suspicious to apply it solely to football.

    It's always money.

    I am curious as well as to what part of academics is keeping them from joining the ACC in football. Certainly the academic standards of some of the ACC teams are good enough, Duke comes to mind.

  15. #35
    Starter SheckWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Buckhead
    Posts
    1,329

    Default Re: Notre Dame

    Quote Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
    So do conference championships matter or not? You canít have it both ways. You either auto bid P5 winners or stop complaining about teams who didnít win a conference. Again, none of this whining was happening when OSU and Bama got in. OSU lost worse than ND yet itís ok because they play in the weak Big 10.
    To me they do not.
    GeoCocky was right, GSW did not beat the Bucks in 5 in the finals

  16. #36
    1st Team All-American Lalli25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Aldie, Va
    Posts
    10,429

    Default Re: Notre Dame

    Quote Originally Posted by longhaul View Post
    I am curious as well as to what part of academics is keeping them from joining the ACC in football. Certainly the academic standards of some of the ACC teams are good enough, Duke comes to mind.
    I know the big 10 required medical school and facilities, something ND doesn’t have or plans to have. That and anti catholic stuff from the 1920’s led ND alumni to fight ever joining. It’s the anti Catholic attitudes of the Big 10 and others led ND to play a nation wide schedule under Rockne and created the tradition of playing So Cal, Stanford, navy and army.

    I don’t know the ACC rules but that’s definitely caused issues in the past. At this point, there’s no financial reason or prestige reason for ND to join a conference.

  17. #37
    Household Name kingofnerf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Straight Outta CLA
    Posts
    6,584

    Default Re: Notre Dame

    Their records say CLEM and BAMA are the two best teams in the country and will beat whatever other teams are in the CFP.

    ND will always have a shot at the CFPs because of the legacy and wide fan base.

  18. #38
    4-Star Waterloo Gamecock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Laurens
    Posts
    277

    Default Re: Notre Dame

    Quote Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
    Time will probably smooth over this fracas. That said, the committee should put the 4 best teams in, period. Obviously they will never do this, but if they would let three good Vegas handicappers into the room, they will easily demonstrate the 4 best teams.

    If you would have put UGA vs ND out to Vegas, I'm guessing the line would have come back UGA -9.5 or something similar.
    They did put the 4 best teams in. What happens during the season counts,not what you think would happen . Losing by 20 to LSU or losing by 29 to Purdue in the same season that produced 3 undefeated P5 teams and a one loss BIG 12 Champ Oklahoma,that got the chance to avenge their only loss against a ranked Texas,doesn't get you in.

  19. #39
    4-Star Waterloo Gamecock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Laurens
    Posts
    277

    Default Re: Notre Dame

    Quote Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
    Their records say CLEM and BAMA are the two best teams in the country and will beat whatever other teams are in the CFP.

    ND will always have a shot at the CFPs because of the legacy and wide fan base.
    True, but ND better be undefeated if they're want to get in and ,Saturday's performance will have the committee thinking twice before putting them in again. They've left OSU out 2 straight years as BIG 10 Champs after they got drubbed 31-0 in 2016. They went with the so called eye test that year and left out BIG 10 Champs Penn State to put OSU in and OSU got mauled

  20. #40
    Damn Yankee TKE226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    19,581

    Default Re: Notre Dame

    People are sour about ND because they got matched up and lost to Clemson.

    ND played a P5 schedule and went undefeated. UGA lost twice. I don’t see a case for UGA.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •