Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Temple Owls

  1. #1
    2nd Team All-SEC CockNJersey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Jersey USA
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Temple Owls

    Kind of feel bad for these guys. First, Rhule steps down prior to their bowl game in 2016. Their next coach, Collins, did the same this year. Then the next coach, Diaz, was there for a grand total of 18 days before accepting the Miami job. He was basically there long enough to sign a recruiting class. Really feel sorry for those signees. And he’d already hired one guy on his staff at Temple, for which the guy left a previous job. Now he’s left out in the cold along with the signees.

    Guess you can’t blame Diaz for jumping on the Miami job, and Richt obviously caught everyone off guard with his decision to retire. Nevertheless, it seems the only ones who really suffer from these situations are the student athlete.

  2. #2
    Recruit Old_School's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: Temple Owls

    They should just give the job to Ed Foley for stability reasons if nothing else.

  3. #3
    Starter BringBackGarcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    1,329

    Default Re: Temple Owls

    This Temple alum suggest a little drink and benzo's whenever someone tries to leave.



  4. #4
    Go Cocks! ShutTheSuccop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kingsport, TN
    Posts
    15,092

    Default Re: Temple Owls

    Quote Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post
    Kind of feel bad for these guys. First, Rhule steps down prior to their bowl game in 2016. Their next coach, Collins, did the same this year. Then the next coach, Diaz, was there for a grand total of 18 days before accepting the Miami job. He was basically there long enough to sign a recruiting class. Really feel sorry for those signees. And he’d already hired one guy on his staff at Temple, for which the guy left a previous job. Now he’s left out in the cold along with the signees.

    Guess you can’t blame Diaz for jumping on the Miami job, and Richt obviously caught everyone off guard with his decision to retire. Nevertheless, it seems the only ones who really suffer from these situations are the student athlete.

    HOnestly, I blame Richt in this situation. If he was considering this move he needed to discuss it with his staff. It really makes Diaz look like a shyster but I don't really blame him one bit...reminds me of Kiffin running back to USC after one year in Knoxville

  5. #5
    Household Name rioninusc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,087

    Default Re: Temple Owls

    Student athletes are always the ones that get the repercussions. School gets on probation cheating players and coaches move on get paid. Student athletes that didn't cheat get post season bans.

    How about let any players these coaches recruited a freebie to transfer if they want. If coaches can leave when they want in these situations let players do it.

  6. #6
    Household Name TaySC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Aiken
    Posts
    6,718

    Default Re: Temple Owls

    While I don't always agree that the student-athletes are always some poor victims (they get free college, regardless of anything anyone says), I do 100% agree that this class should be let go since the HC was there 18 days and never even coached in a single game.

  7. #7
    Gamecocks R US MGMT CockyLifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The Grand Strand SC
    Posts
    6,121

    Default Re: Temple Owls

    Did temple sign any football recruits should be the real question here.
    Gamecock born, Gamecock bred
    When I die I'll be Gamecock dead...
    Currently raising more Gamecocks to carry the torch!

  8. #8
    2nd Team All-SEC CockNJersey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Jersey USA
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: Temple Owls

    Quote Originally Posted by Old_School View Post
    They should just give the job to Ed Foley for stability reasons if nothing else.
    That's been mentioned, but I think it would come across as an underwhelming hire since he's gone 0-2 in the bowl games as interim coach.

  9. #9
    Blue Chip 11SWU10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    simpsonville, s.c
    Posts
    712

    Default Re: Temple Owls

    Release recruits. If they want to play at Temple they will stay. If they wanted to play for Diaz they may go.

    Richt has no barring in this case. It is a personal decision. I doubt he was consulted by anyone.

    Diaz should take the guy he hired at Temple to Miami or have UM buy him out of the Temple contract. Probably a two year or less contract.

  10. #10
    Household Name Legalman72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Anderson
    Posts
    6,807

    Default Re: Temple Owls

    Quote Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
    HOnestly, I blame Richt in this situation. If he was considering this move he needed to discuss it with his staff. It really makes Diaz look like a shyster but I don't really blame him one bit...reminds me of Kiffin running back to USC after one year in Knoxville
    I have no way of knowing if this is accurate, but it's been mentioned that Richt was being forced to fire some of his staff, and that's why he abruptly resigned.

  11. #11
    1st Team All-SEC pitchcock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Johns Island SC
    Posts
    4,293

    Default Re: Temple Owls

    Quote Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
    HOnestly, I blame Richt in this situation. If he was considering this move he needed to discuss it with his staff.
    Richt technically didnt’t “retire”.

    There was a lot of pressure from the ex-players to hire him because he was a “Miami guy”.

    Things went in the dumper, and those same ex-players turned on him and demanded a change.

    The inmates are running the asylum.

    They let him “retire” as a courtesy to prevent having to report that he was fired.

  12. #12
    2nd Team All-SEC CockNJersey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Jersey USA
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: Temple Owls

    Quote Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
    Richt technically didnt’t “retire”.

    There was a lot of pressure from the ex-players to hire him because he was a “Miami guy”.

    Things went in the dumper, and those same ex-players turned on him and demanded a change.

    The inmates are running the asylum.

    They let him “retire” as a courtesy to prevent having to report that he was fired.
    That's not accurate at all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •