Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: *** #23 USC WBB (9-4, 1-0 SEC) vs Alabama (9-5, 1-0 SEC) ***

Default Re: *** #23 USC WBB (9-4, 1-0 SEC) vs Alabama (9-5, 1-0 SEC) ***

Kiki can be a three and I believe dawn tryna get her there like vivo and improvement every year Kiki is almost there needs to dribble better .... Amihere will play so someone gotta play 3...

I think we get surprise transfer leaving can beal work at two.... Not sold on destanni at all she plays too cute zia seems aggressive she won't back down...

Quote Originally Posted by bbbbookert View Post
    Kiki can be a three and I believe dawn tryna get her there like vivo and improvement every year Kiki is almost there needs to dribble better .... Amihere will play so someone gotta play 3...
    Kiki is not a three. Never has been. She’s a shot blocking stretch 4. She has never played on the perimeter, can’t defend SEC level wings on the perimeter. Why would you want to take your best interior defender and shot blocker, who can guard 4s and 5s away from the basket where she’s an enforcer?

No coach thinks...wow...my best interior defender can face up and shoot the ball on offense. Let me move her away from what she does best on defense...blocking shots and rebounding. Let me put her out on the perimeter and get her in foul trouble every game by forcing her to guard SEC guards/wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockfather View Post
    I have to agree with VB on this. Amihere is not a wing. Just like some said Kiki would develop into a “3”. Well, she’s not, she’s a shot blocking stretch 4. So is Amihere. She can also play 5. She will get bigger and stronger just like Aja did.

Here’s my take on a starting 5 and the next 5 for next season. Obviously, I believe Cooper needs another year. She is still too inconsistent, turnover prone and can be a ball stopper on offense. Another year would get her playing at a consistently high level and make her a much higher WNBA Draft pick. Should she choose to leave following this season, Henderson probably slides into that starting spot. I have both Beal and Boston in the lineup. I know that seems unlikely, but I will say that there is nobody on the roster currently that has the skill set of Beal. She is a 6’1 wing that can really shoot and rebound from the wing. That makes her unique. As for Boston, again, nobody has her size and strength. I could see Dawn easing her in and going with a post tandem of Lele and Kiki to start the early season

Ty Harris
    Te’a Cooper
    Brea Beal
    Kiki Herbert-Harrigan
    Aliyah Boston

Destanni Henderson
    Zia Cooke
    Bianca Jackson
    Lele Grissett or Victoria Saxton
    Laeticia Amihere

I think there is a learning curve when it comes to most Freshmen. I think dawn initially will side with experience.

Ty
    Te'a
    Kiki
    Boston
    Henderson or Jackson

Kiki is not a three. Never has been. She’s a shot blocking stretch 4. She has never played on the perimeter, can’t defend SEC level wings on the perimeter. Why would you want to take your best interior defender and shot blocker, who can guard 4s and 5s away from the basket where she’s an enforcer?

No coach thinks...wow...my best interior defender can face up and shoot the ball on offense. Let me move her away from what she does best on defense...blocking shots and rebounding. Let me put her out on the perimeter and get her in foul trouble every game by forcing her to guard SEC guards/wings.
    I agree! What most of fans don't realize is how fast and quick Amihere is. The Queen is athlete enough to guard any 3 in the league. But on offense KiKi will be the outside shooter from the wing. Both Boston and Amihere are too good to be on the bench. They are not joining a stacked roster like A'ja Wilson did. We don't have enough talent to be patient beyond a few weeks. Before Christmas both will start. On defense Harrigan is a 4. When KiKi is not on the floor Amihere will be the 4. When Boston is not on the floor Amihere will be the 5 is a very fast line-up! Of course transfer season could change our outlook!

I didn't say guard defense I mention all offense

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shiverz View Post
    I think there is a learning curve when it comes to most Freshmen. I think dawn initially will side with experience.

Ty
    Te'a
    Kiki
    Boston
    Henderson or Jackson
    I dunno - Amihere and Beal may be too good to ever see the bench. And I do not think that Henderson will be in the starting line-up with Ty and Te'a - that is three PGs. Jackson, maybe - if she starts shooting the ball with a little confidence.

My guess:

Ty
    Te'a
    Beal
    Kiki
    Boston

Amihere is first off the bench at the #4 and #5 spots, then Lele and Victaria. Destanni and Zia are the back-ups at the two Guard spots, giving us two PGs in the game at all times. Jackson backs up Beal.

Wesolek, Daz and Olivia Thompson are deep reserves - unless someone gets hurt or Te'a does not come back.

Quote Originally Posted by bbbbookert View Post
    I didn't say guard defense I mention all offense
    So who play 3 on defense? Do you expect 3 post players to start so Kiki can just be a 3 on offense? It’s clear you’ve never coached a game. Can she stretch the floor? Of course. She can be a mismatch against other post players. That’s why you leave her at the 4. Amihere is not guarding college wing players either. Could coach play some zone with 3 bigs? Yes. She’s done it before, but Dawn Staley loves man to man defense. And she’s not taking her best shot blocker and putting her on the wing...even just for offense.

I guess you want to post up Bianca Jackson on offense so Kiki can play in the wing? Maybe Ty Harris or Te’a? What a plan!

So who play 3 on defense? Do you expect 3 post players to start so Kiki can just be a 3 on offense? It’s clear you’ve never coached a game. Can she stretch the floor? Of course. She can be a mismatch against other post players. That’s why you leave her at the 4. Amihere is not guarding college wing players either. Could coach play some zone with 3 bigs? Yes. She’s done it before, but Dawn Staley loves man to man defense. And she’s not taking her best shot blocker and putting her on the wing...even just for offense.

I guess you want to post up Bianca Jackson on offense so Kiki can play in the wing? Maybe Ty Harris or Te’a? What a plan!
    Have you ever seen Amihere run? She is faster and more explosive than any three in the SEC. Laeticia can guard some of the twos in our league. She is a phenom similar to A'ja but faster. With her quickness and length she will have little trouble guarding threes. This young lady is talented enough to play for the Canadian National team as a sophomore! Guess where she played, 3 & 4! Her movement is unreal. Without the injury she would have been the first or second ranked player in 2019. Just because she is 6'3" doesn't mean she is slow. Now obviously she can't shoot the jumper like KiKi. Few can!

Te'a Cooper is guarding SEC threes @ 5'9" . Doing a great job I might add. Sometimes it's not about size. It's about quickness and toughness. Cunningham couldn't do squat when Cooper was on her.

I have to agree with VB on this. Amihere is not a wing. Just like some said Kiki would develop into a “3”. Well, she’s not, she’s a shot blocking stretch 4. So is Amihere. She can also play 5. She will get bigger and stronger just like Aja did.

Here’s my take on a starting 5 and the next 5 for next season. Obviously, I believe Cooper needs another year. She is still too inconsistent, turnover prone and can be a ball stopper on offense. Another year would get her playing at a consistently high level and make her a much higher WNBA Draft pick. Should she choose to leave following this season, Henderson probably slides into that starting spot. I have both Beal and Boston in the lineup. I know that seems unlikely, but I will say that there is nobody on the roster currently that has the skill set of Beal. She is a 6’1 wing that can really shoot and rebound from the wing. That makes her unique. As for Boston, again, nobody has her size and strength. I could see Dawn easing her in and going with a post tandem of Lele and Kiki to start the early season

Ty Harris
    Te’a Cooper
    Brea Beal
    Kiki Herbert-Harrigan
    Aliyah Boston

Destanni Henderson
    Zia Cooke
    Bianca Jackson
    Lele Grissett or Victoria Saxton
    Laeticia Amihere

I agree on four.

I could see the fifth being Henderson, Jackson or Beal. I would like for Beal to be the long term answer.

*I suppose with H-H's emergence it's a little more possible you could play her on the wing, but I think it would still be a stretch (no pun intended) to say the least and it seems clearly out of position for Amihere to man the wing offensively. I'm not sure I quite understand the exuberance for Amihere's wing ability generally. I think she's going to come in pretty raw, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonRa777 View Post
    Have you ever seen Amihere run? She is faster and more explosive than any three in the SEC. Laeticia can guard some of the twos in our league. She is a phenom similar to A'ja but faster. With her quickness and length she will have little trouble guarding threes. This young lady is talented enough to play for the Canadian National team as a sophomore! Guess where she played, 3 & 4! Her movement is unreal. Without the injury she would have been the first or second ranked player in 2019. Just because she is 6'3" doesn't mean she is slow. Now obviously she can't shoot the jumper like KiKi. Few can!
    Yes. I have seen her run. She is a great athlete. Playing 3 for Canada and playing 3 in the SEC and guarding SEC wings is a completely different deal. I love Laeticia’s game. She handles the ball really well and is fluid, but it’s just a different level. Also she’s going to get bigger physically in the weight program. She’s also likely to grow a little bit more. She just turned 17.

I’m not saying she can’t eventually do it a little...I just can’t project her to do it. I think her skill set long term compliments Boston. Amihere as a stretch 4 and Boston as a 5.

That’s all I’m saying. With her skill set she’s a mis-match at 4. Back off, she shoots it over you. Get up on her too far away from the bask t and she drives it and dunks on you. I’d rather have Beal guarding someone like Haley Jones or Evinas Westbrook, not Amihere or Kiki.

And yes...Cooper can guard threes because she’s a strong defender...not a string bean

I could also see a high level transfer joining the program in late spring or summer.

I could also see a high level transfer joining the program in late spring or summer.
    I really hope so, especially a grad transfer at the 5, preferably 6'4+. We have a lot depth in all our positions except the 5. I like Boston but it's unfair to put all that pressure on her as a Freshman.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Yes. I have seen her run. She is a great athlete. Playing 3 for Canada and playing 3 in the SEC and guarding SEC wings is a completely different deal. I love Laeticia’s game. She handles the ball really well and is fluid, but it’s just a different level. Also she’s going to get bigger physically in the weight program. She’s also likely to grow a little bit more. She just turned 17.

I’m not saying she can’t eventually do it a little...I just can’t project her to do it. I think her skill set long term compliments Boston. Amihere as a stretch 4 and Boston as a 5.

That’s all I’m saying. With her skill set she’s a mis-match at 4. Back off, she shoots it over you. Get up on her too far away from the bask t and she drives it and dunks on you. I’d rather have Beal guarding someone like Haley Jones or Evinas Westbrook, not Amihere or Kiki.

And yes...Cooper can guard threes because she’s a strong defender...not a string bean
    The best 3 in the SEC is Sophie Cunningham. Westbrook is a point guard for the Vols. Haley Jones will be wing for Stanford and couldn't move as fast and quick as Amihere to save her life..

Right now on offense we are 4 out with KiKi on the wing as a stretch four. Next season with Amihere, Boston and KiKi we would still be 4 out. KiKi would be the wing. Amihere would be high,foul line extended where she can knock down a 12 footer or slash to the basket. Great coaches adapt to get their best players on the floor. Defensively we might have to more 2-3 or 3-2 matchup zone.

I would love to see Te'a Cooper return. But I don't expect it. The back court would be Ty and Destanni backed up by Beal and Cooke. Surely there will be times of Beal at 3 and Amihere at 5 to go with a very speedy lineup.

1st Team All-American Cockhornleghorn's Avatar

These are wonderful problems to have; an embarrassment of riches next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
    I dunno - Amihere and Beal may be too good to ever see the bench. And I do not think that Henderson will be in the starting line-up with Ty and Te'a - that is three PGs. Jackson, maybe - if she starts shooting the ball with a little confidence.

My guess:

Ty
    Te'a
    Beal
    Kiki
    Boston

Amihere is first off the bench at the #4 and #5 spots, then Lele and Victaria. Destanni and Zia are the back-ups at the two Guard spots, giving us two PGs in the game at all times. Jackson backs up Beal.

Wesolek, Daz and Olivia Thompson are deep reserves - unless someone gets hurt or Te'a does not come back.
    Destanni had started 2 or 3 games this season with Ty and Te'a. Actually we are basically running 3 point guards now with Cuevas, Ty and Te'a.

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shiverz View Post
    Destanni had started 2 or 3 games this season with Ty and Te'a. Actually we are basically running 3 point guards now with Cuevas, Ty and Te'a.
    We are running three PGs because we have a lot of talent there, and Te'a has just enough height to defend opposing #3s. We could still go that route, especially if Te'a returns - it would just be Zia as the 4th PG, taking Bianca's place as either a starter or back-up.

But we have too much talent elsewhere to start three PGs, plus I think that Te'a moves on. That would put Breanna into the starting line-up at Wing backed up by Jackson, with Ty and either Zia or Destanni at the Guard slots.

The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar

If Te'a stays:

1: Harris/Henderson/Cooke/Thompson
    2: Cooper/Cooke/Henderson/Thompson
    3: Jackson/Cooke/Beale/Wesolek
    4: Herbert-Harrigan/Grissett/Saxton/Amihere
    5: Boston/Williams/ Herbert-Harrigan/Grissett/Saxton/Amihere

If Te'a leaves:

1: Harris/Henderson/Cooke/Thompson
    2: Cooke/Henderson/Thompson
    3: Jackson/Beale/Wesolek