Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: *** #23 USC WBB (9-4, 1-0 SEC) vs Alabama (9-5, 1-0 SEC) ***

Default Re: *** #23 USC WBB (9-4, 1-0 SEC) vs Alabama (9-5, 1-0 SEC) ***

Quote Originally Posted by AmonRa777 View Post
    What are you watching? We are not a two big post team at all! KiKi is facing the basket. She steps out and creates space for Te'a and Cuevas to penetrate most of the time. When she gets the at the key she does look to dump it in the post if it's there. This is not the Coates/Wilson nor Wilson/Jennings two post attack
    I meant in general, not now.

Throttle back, Sparky.

Quote Originally Posted by VBCock View Post
    It seems to me that either Boston or Amihere is likely to start in the post. Probably Boston.

Other than that, I'd guess Beal has the best chance at starting on the wing, but I would bet against it.

Harris
    Cooper
    Jackson
    Herbert-Harrigan
    Boston

that's my early guess. I don't think this recruiting class will necessarily come in and make USC a dominant team immediately.

I can see Boston for sure, and Amihere if Tea leaves. If she stays (I hope she does - not ready for the W at all) only Boston will start.

Henderson
    Harris
    Tea
    Boston
    Kiki

There are three primary issues on offense. Ty Harris our floor leader seems to have a phobia about shooting. She has to score for us. She can do it. She just doesn't want to shoot. Alexis Jennings is out of shape and slower than last season. Finally Bianca Jackson has to decide she wants to help this team win games.

I not too big on a point guard having 20-30+ points a game. You're the floor leader distribute the ball, but also score. But, single digits will just not cut it. Staley said that Jennings transferred here because she wanted to be the go to post inside. This was supposed to be her break out yr with Wilson's absence. But, alas, she does look winded half the time. But, I think its more injuries. I don't know what the hell is wrong with BJ. Last yr she was still coming off her high school high. Now she's stuck.
    ~Silence is Golden and duct tape is Silver~

I don't believe Cooke will start any games next year.

Having watched Amihere a bit on the Canadian team, i think she's more suited to the post and will likely come off the bench to start. But I could see here challenging Boston -- I just see Boston as more physically ready for that spot. I could definitely see Amihere eventually beating out H-H, Grissett, and Saxton, but my guess is Kiki will remain the starter.

I don't see her as a very good fit on the wing at this point, though our wing players have not covered themselves in distinction. I'd lean more towards Beal if a freshman starts there.

In general, USC will have a very crowded post situation next season.
    You need to watch more of Amihere! Without a junior year injury she prolly would have been the top player in 2019 class. She consistently knocks down the midrange jumper and can hit the 3. Laeticia would be the best 3 on our team right now and would start. After A'ja she is the best athlete Dawn has recruited. No way she is coming off the bench. Coach Staley might make her a few weeks as with Destanni. But she will start before Christmas. Boston will start day one because she is a true center with a lot of game and toughness.

If Dawn wants to start a small lineup, you could see Cooke, Harris, Destanni,Beal and Amihere. That would be some serious speed on the floor. Plus if Ty or Henderson are under the weather or roll an ankle, Zia could start and not look back. All of the freshman will see major minutes. I wouldn't be surprised to see Beal start at three. But Amihere and Boston are too good to be on am ones bench. They both know that and so does Dawn.

Coach said this weekend she is rolling with Destanni for the long haul because she is too good to sit. That rule will apply to the incoming phenom s

Quote Originally Posted by Milks26 View Post
    I can see Boston for sure, and Amihere if Tea leaves. If she stays (I hope she does - not ready for the W at all) only Boston will start.

Henderson
    Harris
    Tea
    Boston
    Kiki

I not too big on a point guard having 20-30+ points a game. You're the floor leader distribute the ball, but also score. But, single digits will just not cut it. Staley said that Jennings transferred here because she wanted to be the go to post inside. This was supposed to be her break out yr with Wilson's absence. But, alas, she does look winded half the time. But, I think its more injuries. I don't know what the hell is wrong with BJ. Last yr she was still coming off her high school high. Now she's stuck.
    Agreed. Other than being a floor general ty is doing little for our offense. She has the skill set to give us 10-15 per game. She has to take 12-15 shots. She simply refuses to do it. Even when Harris is open for an 18' she plays hot potato with the ball. With Destanni and Cooper on the floor she doesn't have to distribute all the time.

You need to watch more of Amihere! Without a junior year injury she prolly would have been the top player in 2019 class. She consistently knocks down the midrange jumper and can hit the 3. Laeticia would be the best 3 on our team right now and would start. After A'ja she is the best athlete Dawn has recruited. No way she is coming off the bench. Coach Staley might make her a few weeks as with Destanni. But she will start before Christmas. Boston will start day one because she is a true center with a lot of game and toughness.

If Dawn wants to start a small lineup, you could see Cooke, Harris, Destanni,Beal and Amihere. That would be some serious speed on the floor. Plus if Ty or Henderson are under the weather or roll an ankle, Zia could start and not look back. All of the freshman will see major minutes. I wouldn't be surprised to see Beal start at three. But Amihere and Boston are too good to be on am ones bench. They both know that and so does Dawn.

Coach said this weekend she is rolling with Destanni for the long haul because she is too good to sit. That rule will apply to the incoming phenom s

I have watched almost all of Amihere's PT with Canadian National Team at the world championships. International play tends to give you a better gauge than anything else, I think, because it starts to approximate the athleticism of a college game.

I think Amihere's pretty clearly a 4/5 at this point in her career. She does like to drive the ball and face up, but those are "4" things too. I'm not sure her drive will translate fantastically to start and her perimeter shot is shaky.

She's a lot like A'Ja at the same point on their careers, though A'Ja was better, I think. But I suspect she will get the same news from Coach that A'Ja got. You are staying near the basket.

A'Ja came off the bench her entire freshman season, I think Amihere can handle coming off the bench as well. She certainly figures to get minutes.

But Kiki and LeLe are a lot less proven and established players than Muffin was during Wilson's freshman year. Perhaps Kiki is going to keep putting on a show. Or maybe she moves outside.

Agreed. Other than being a floor general ty is doing little for our offense. She has the skill set to give us 10-15 per game. She has to take 12-15 shots. She simply refuses to do it. Even when Harris is open for an 18' she plays hot potato with the ball. With Destanni and Cooper on the floor she doesn't have to distribute all the time.

Harris is slipping into disappointment territory for me.

I don't mind a point guard who just distributes the ball when she is surrounded by scorers, but Harris needs to do more.

I thought she had a scorer in her and she's flat not risen to the occasion this season.

With that said, she might be a great fit at PG for what will be a more talented and capable scoring squad next season, most likely.

I don't mind a point guard who just distributes the ball when she is surrounded by scorers, but Harris needs to do more.

I thought she had a scorer in her and she's flat not risen to the occasion this season.

With that said, she might be a great fit at PG for what will be a more talented and capable scoring squad next season, most likely.
    Exactly right. She was more assertive on offense last season when we had the Aircraft carrier in the middle. It's hard to understand. Maybe there is an injury we don't know about. She obviously doesn't want to shoot!

I have watched almost all of Amihere's PT with Canadian National Team at the world championships. International play tends to give you a better gauge than anything else, I think, because it starts to approximate the athleticism of a college game.

I think Amihere's pretty clearly a 4/5 at this point in her career. She does like to drive the ball and face up, but those are "4" things too. I'm not sure her drive will translate fantastically to start and her perimeter shot is shaky.

She's a lot like A'Ja at the same point on their careers, though A'Ja was better, I think. But I suspect she will get the same news from Coach that A'Ja got. You are staying near the basket.

A'Ja came off the bench her entire freshman season, I think Amihere can handle coming off the bench as well. She certainly figures to get minutes.

But Kiki and LeLe are a lot less proven and established players than Muffin was during Wilson's freshman year. Perhaps Kiki is going to keep putting on a show. Or maybe she moves outside.

Let's agree to disagree. We simply do not have roster talent to keep Amihere on the bench. Our 3s are so bad Dawn is using Cooper a guard there. Kiki is a baller and will start. Let's hope Lele makes a junior year leap like KiKi did.

Finally, you haven't seen Laeticia play international ball since she was a sophomore. She is light years advanced skill wise now. She is knocking down mid range jumpers like clockwork since she came back from her injury.

Exactly right. She was more assertive on offense last season when we had the Aircraft carrier in the middle. It's hard to understand. Maybe there is an injury we don't know about. She obviously doesn't want to shoot!

I don't know. Dawn keeps saying that they're healthy than they've been all yr, and I've never told my players not to shot to the ball. So, who knows what's up with the kid. Maybe she's being self conscious having the 2018 #1 PG on the squad and thinking about what's coming next yr.

And what the hell is wrong with Nelly Perry? I know she had a shoulder injury at Clemson but wasn't she a baller over there? Her points were always double digits. Now she's in the cock barely recorded points.

Let's agree to disagree. We simply do not have roster talent to keep Amihere on the bench. Our 3s are so bad Dawn is using Cooper a guard there. Kiki is a baller and will start. Let's hope Lele makes a junior year leap like KiKi did.

Finally, you haven't seen Laeticia play international ball since she was a sophomore. She is light years advanced skill wise now. She is knocking down mid range jumpers like clockwork since she came back from her injury.

Wilson came off the bench on a team that started Asia Dozier.

It's very probably this ends up happening for Amihere, IMO. But maybe Dawn will play a post and two big forwards. She didn't then, but perhaps that is the best option now. She has kind of a logjam next season at the four with H-Harrigan, Grissett, and Saxton and now Amihere.

I assume we'll see two forwards without a center a fair amount next season though I have to admit I was somewhat encouraged by L. Williams vs TAMU. She looked much more capable than in the past and seems to be developing.

If you have a link to a recent full game of Amihere, I would actually love to see it.

Also Beal, as that is the only one who I have watched a full game. I'm just guessing on what Beal can do at this point.

I don't know. Dawn keeps saying that they're healthy than they've been all yr, and I've never told my players not to shot to the ball. So, who knows what's up with the kid. Maybe she's being self conscious having the 2018 #1 PG on the squad and thinking about what's coming next yr.

And what the hell is wrong with Nelly Perry? I know she had a shoulder injury at Clemson but wasn't she a baller over there? Her points were always double digits. Now she's in the cock barely recorded points.

I expected her to eventually win that wing spot, but evidently that's not the way it is going to play out.

I suppose she was the best player on a really bad team and didn't put up huge numbers so perhaps it was predictable that she wouldn't be great. But I expected a little more scoring confidence. A senior that could score when the ball found her.

Perry obviously has talent. I just think she needs to feel she belongs and assert herself. Right now she plays like a tater.

It's very probably this ends up happening for Amihere, IMO. But maybe Dawn will play a post and two big forwards. She didn't then, but perhaps that is the best option now. She has kind of a logjam next season at the four with H-Harrigan, Grissett, and Saxton and now Amihere.

I assume we'll see two forwards without a center a fair amount next season though I have to admit I was somewhat encouraged by L. Williams vs TAMU. She looked much more capable than in the past and seems to be developing.

If you have a link to a recent full game of Amihere, I would actually love to see it.

Also Beal, as that is the only one who I have watched a full game. I'm just guessing on what Beal can do at this point.
    Beal is a straight up baller. She will play tons as a freshman. My thinking is Amihere an athletic phenom, has to be on the floor. Beal will see a lot of time at shooting guard and small forward. It's tough to start 3 freshmen. I see KiKi at 4 and Amihere at 3 most of the time. No question Boston starts at 5.

Ya’ll forget about Cooke; she doesn’t strike me as the type of player to ride the bench........just saying.

I don't see any of the newbies starting until conference play at the earliest next season. The only exception would be Boston or maybe Amihere playing some of the 5 position. But there's too much experience/talent at 1-4. Although Beal could have an outside as a wing if Jackson doesn't get it together before next season.

The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar

Dozier didn't keep Wilson on the bench. Welch did: Coates and Wilson subbed in 2014-15 for Elem Ibiam and Welch. Dozier was a 3, and Coach Staley never wanted to play Wilson as a 3, despite what Wilson liked to describe herself when she first came to USC. There were a few fantasy moments in a few games where they had Wilson, Coates, and White on the same floor, or Ibiam/Coates, Wilson, and Welch moved to the 3 spot, but that was a rare occurance...

The important thing is, we'll have great depth of talent to compete against each other, and whoever ends up performing better will get the minutes. It'll hopefully help players who go through motions too much re-think their approach to preparation for the season....

The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar

USC moved up in the polls to 21st in the AP Poll, and into the top 25 in the Coach's Poll, at #25, this week....

Quote Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
    USC moved up in the polls to 21st in the AP Poll, and into the top 25 in the Coach's Poll, at #25, this week....

Yes, I saw that. Alas, I don't think we'll stay there too long. We got Miss St, LSU, Mizzou and Kentucky coming up.

Hopefully, Perry and Ty wake up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
    Dozier didn't keep Wilson on the bench. Welch did: Coates and Wilson subbed in 2014-15 for Elem Ibiam and Welch. Dozier was a 3, and Coach Staley never wanted to play Wilson as a 3, despite what Wilson liked to describe herself when she first came to USC. There were a few fantasy moments in a few games where they had Wilson, Coates, and White on the same floor, or Ibiam/Coates, Wilson, and Welch moved to the 3 spot, but that was a rare occurance...

The important thing is, we'll have great depth of talent to compete against each other, and whoever ends up performing better will get the minutes. It'll hopefully help players who go through motions too much re-think their approach to preparation for the season....

I'm aware of Welch.

I think Amihere and Wilson have similar profiles.

Coach Staley did not choose to go big and play either Welch or Wilson on the wing when the alternative was Asia Dozier in the starting lineup.

I don't think she will play it any differently next year. Particularly when she has expressed more openness to shooting based, position less basketball.

I'm aware of Welch.

I think Amihere and Wilson have similar profiles.

Coach Staley did not choose to go big and play either Welch or Wilson on the wing when the alternative was Asia Dozier in the starting lineup.

I don't think she will play it any differently next year. Particularly when she has expressed more openness to shooting based, position less basketball.
    I have to agree with VB on this. Amihere is not a wing. Just like some said Kiki would develop into a “3”. Well, she’s not, she’s a shot blocking stretch 4. So is Amihere. She can also play 5. She will get bigger and stronger just like Aja did.

Here’s my take on a starting 5 and the next 5 for next season. Obviously, I believe Cooper needs another year. She is still too inconsistent, turnover prone and can be a ball stopper on offense. Another year would get her playing at a consistently high level and make her a much higher WNBA Draft pick. Should she choose to leave following this season, Henderson probably slides into that starting spot. I have both Beal and Boston in the lineup. I know that seems unlikely, but I will say that there is nobody on the roster currently that has the skill set of Beal. She is a 6’1 wing that can really shoot and rebound from the wing. That makes her unique. As for Boston, again, nobody has her size and strength. I could see Dawn easing her in and going with a post tandem of Lele and Kiki to start the early season

Ty Harris
    Te’a Cooper
    Brea Beal
    Kiki Herbert-Harrigan
    Aliyah Boston

Destanni Henderson
    Zia Cooke
    Bianca Jackson
    Lele Grissett or Victoria Saxton
    Laeticia Amihere