Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Refreshing posts on Cockytalk

Default Refreshing posts on Cockytalk

Shortly after the NC game last night, I signed-on to Cockytalk expecting an explosion of anger, resentment, and vitriol. What I saw was a good deal of mature perspective, straightforward and thoughtful pronouncement, and reality-based thought. Where did these people come from? Sure, there will be some explosive, over-the-top emotional ranting and swearing to never buy another ticket, but I think we've got some real fans here.

Default Re: Refreshing posts on Cockytalk

Hopefully level heads will continue to prevail in the coming years.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
    Shortly after the NC game last night, I signed-on to Cockytalk expecting an explosion of anger, resentment, and vitriol. What I saw was a good deal of mature perspective, straightforward and thoughtful pronouncement, and reality-based thought. Where did these people come from? Sure, there will be some explosive, over-the-top emotional ranting and swearing to never buy another ticket, but I think we've got some real fans here.
    Large quantities of Alcohol combined with a major loss of sleep has a way of putting things in
    perspective for a lot of people.

My take away is we played better against Clemson than Bama did. It shows the disparity in college football is not as great as sometimes perceived.

When you've lost hope, it's easy to sound rational.

Seriously, though, it becomes easier for me to stomach when I realize it isn't a blip and Dabo has really built something. I was convinced that Watson was the reason, but I was wrong. It's a plug and play kind of system now and shows little signs of falling off. And I'm actually better with that than the hit gold once frustration I was feeling. Maybe I think Dabo deserves it at this point? Maybe it's that I've come to terms with the absolute mess Spurrier left us? Maybe the past 5 years have left me dead inside? Who knows? All I know is after the first recent Clemson championship I was fuming pissed, after this one, I think you have to tip your cap to a coach and program that was your equal about 6 years ago and has since blown your f***ing doors off.

1st Team All-American gamecockphan's Avatar

College football is basically trash. The QB play in most cases is very bad and the product isn't very watchable. The coaching is also very suspect. Even the supposedly good coaches that are making lots on money do the dumbest stuff. It's just an overall inferior product.

Only 4 or 5 teams ever have a chance to win it all. There is no salary cap in place and schools give out extra benefits or cash to players w/o the NCAA doing anything about it. The NCAA has no interest in parity so lots of games are just mismatches.

I didn't watch a snap of the bowl games this year or the playoffs and barely watch college during the regular season. The NFL is way more entertaining.

Once you figure out that a bunch of 18-22 year olds doesn't matter that much then there really is nothing to get too upset about.

I'm waaaay more annoyed/pissed about the Panther's season than I am about the Cocks poor showing or CU winning a title.

Quote Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
    College football is basically trash. The QB play in most cases is very bad and the product isn't very watchable. The coaching is also very suspect. Even the supposedly good coaches that are making lots on money do the dumbest stuff. It's just an overall inferior product.

Only 4 or 5 teams ever have a chance to win it all. There is no salary cap in place and schools give out extra benefits or cash to players w/o the NCAA doing anything about it. The NCAA has no interest in parity so lots of games are just mismatches.

I didn't watch a snap of the bowl games this year or the playoffs and barely watch college during the regular season. The NFL is way more entertaining.

Once you figure out that a bunch of 18-22 year olds doesn't matter that much then there really is nothing to get too upset about.

I'm waaaay more annoyed/pissed about the Panther's season than I am about the Cocks poor showing or CU winning a title.
    To each his own! I care nothing about the NFL until the Superbowl. I guess it's more important to you, since you're from Charlotte. College football is by far the best sport in my book! Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post

Amen...and it is getting worse in college football at least...I agree this was the first year in that I did not watch hardly another bowl game other than ours...IMO since the advent of the 4 team playoff the bowls have jumped the shark

Pompous Ass Hillbilly GregoryHouse's Avatar

since 1992, how many teams have one their FIRST national title?
    I don't worry about falling skies as much as I worry about low ceilings.

1st Team All-American Roosterboy's Avatar

Hard to bash.
    Lawrence threw some beautiful balls, and their D was opportunistic.

Tua's 2 picks just killed Bama, and once Clemson got up by three scores Bama was thrown off their game...coupled with an OC who is on his way out.

Clemson's D could not stop the Bama run game...but Bama could not stop the Clemson pass game. Big plays, opportunistic D and a top-flight QB make a big difference.

Also, staff continuity....helps in recruiting big time, and right now, everything is hitting on all cylinders.

I would expect some coaches to go for HC jobs...but with what they are paying them, they have to be big paydays.
    Venables ain't leaving unless it is for at least $2 mil a year, and Elliott/Scott likely won't leave for anything less than about the same.

They are ahead of the curve right now. Hate to admit it, but it is the truth and the past few years prove it.
    The only job I see Dabo leaving for would be Bama, but he has arguably built his own Bama, so why leave and live the shadow of two legends when he has arguably passed Clemson's biggest legend in Danny Ford?
    Baseball
    SEC Champs: 2000, 2002, 2011
    CWS Appearances:
    1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
    Two-time National Champs

Quote Originally Posted by GregoryHouse View Post
    FSU and UF
    🍇🍇🍇🍇🍇🍇🍇🍇🍇

Quote Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post

Also, staff continuity....helps in recruiting big time, and right now, everything is hitting on all cylinders.

I would expect some coaches to go for HC jobs...but with what they are paying them, they have to be big paydays.
    Venables ain't leaving unless it is for at least $2 mil a year, and Elliott/Scott likely won't leave for anything less than about the same.
    Staff continuity is huge but Bama is having the same success and they have a new OC ever year, so it can be done either way. Clemson knows the formula, pay big to keep the best.

But venables is already making $2M a year....so to your point, he probably isn't going anywhere.
    "The ACC: it just means .... less."

-GeoCocky66

Quote Originally Posted by 86 GradCock View Post
    My take away is we played better against Clemson than Bama did. It shows the disparity in college football is not as great as sometimes perceived.
    lol, thats not true..clemson wasnt ramped for our game. they had that game in hand. if they played us like they played last night we wouldnt have scored.

Quote Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
    lol, thats not true..clemson wasnt ramped for our game. they had that game in hand. if they played us like they played last night we wouldnt have scored.
    Yeah, but on the flip side, Clemson didn't take a knee vs us at the end like they did vs Bama. They had run it in one more time....
    "I'd rather have to say whoa than giddy-up" - Coach Will Muschamp

When wins and losses are decided by enthusiasm, that means anything can happen, and that's what is great about CFB.
    GOD
    USA
    SEC

Quote Originally Posted by GregoryHouse View Post

<<<<< scratches head>>>>>

I agree that some of the posts I saw last night helped get me down off the ledge too. I still really don't like a lot of what I see going on with our athletic department and football team but I'm not going to rant about it today. Going to try hard and be less obsessed for a while.

Gatorade Poster of d Year 75CarolinaFan's Avatar

It's the first step to apathy. I wonder how level-headed Clemson was after 5 in a row and the decision to up their game paying recruits, using Ostarine, and locking in successful coordinators?

At Carolina being a real fan means accepting defeat/inferiority? Our new motto, "It just means less."???

2nd Team All-SEC Senior Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Yeah, but on the flip side, Clemson didn't take a knee vs us at the end like they did vs Bama. They had run it in one more time....
    Which shows they were ramped up for us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OORAH!!!!!!!