Thread: Prime Rib - How Do You Like To Grill/Cook It

Default Prime Rib - How Do You Like To Grill/Cook It

I am thinking about doing some Prime Rib on my RECTEC 700 - Bull - Pellet Smoker. I have not done one before, but I have heard that they are great according to people who have followed recipes that RECTEC has online for you.

I was just wondering how many of you out there cook your Prime Rib and how it comes out?

Love to grill - Love to smoke it too!!!

Challenge accepted. etowngangsta's Avatar

Default Re: Prime Rib - How Do You Like To Grill/Cook It

I smoke a few every year. Coat it with salt the night before you smoke it at minimum and put in fridge. 24 hrs before is better. Need to take it out a few hrs before smoking and bring to room temp. Dry it off then cut some slits in about 10 spots all over. Make them about 2 or 3 in deep and half in wide. Take fresh garlic and cut 5 cloves in half and stuff em in the slits. Mince a few more cloves and spread on top of meat. I put a heavy dose of Montreal steak all over it and fresh cracked black pepper. Cover top with rosemary and thyme. I think it's 45 min per lb.. 130 or 135° in center.

I usually use a mix of pecan and hickory wood that I soak in apple juice overnight. Make sure to warn people about garlic inside lol.

Amount of garlic depends on how many lbs of meat* use best judgement. I usually do 5 lbs minimum no bones

1st Team All-American gamecockphan's Avatar

I reverse sear mine in the oven. Of course you can reverse sear on a smoker or grill too.

Smoking a Prime Rib is a waste of a fine cut of beef. I'm sure The Yancey would back me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex123 View Post
    Smoking a Prime Rib is a waste of a fine cut of beef. I'm sure The Yancey would back me.
    Pretty much. A deep dry brined and slow roasted prime rib with a great herbed crust is hard to beat. I've smoked some from time to time but find that I prefer the traditional oven to it. The exception is when I plan to cut said roast into steaks to finish on the grill. There I smoke the rare roasted steaks over very low heat for just a half hour or so and then move to a hot grill or pan to sear. When I do this I am shooting for a sublime marriage of the best parts of both the roast and the steak.

Lets throw a whole nuther angle into this though: sous vide. This is particularly useful with doing a prime rib that isn't quite prime grade. I do the same dry brining followed by a long SV @ around 129 to insure tenderization. Then dry it well, re rub and pop it in a very hot oven to set the crust. An intervening short period of cold smoking with something like whiskey barrel oak can add another level of complexity.

I like to serve mine with a variety of accompaniments including au jus, horseradish cream, Béarnaise, chimichurri, etc. A pour over with a sizzling garlic butter makes a nice presentation as does a bourbon flambe.

All of this is rather academic with me now though as first daughterling and now Marie have decreed themselves to be vegetarians. FML. A whole prime rib is not something typically cooked for the solo diner. My only option is to cut, vacuum bag, and sous vide single portions. They will be pasteurized and will keep for a month+. I can take one out, dry & sear and have a reasonable meal for one.
    Order Of The Spur

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Quote Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
    Pretty much. A deep dry brined and slow roasted prime rib with a great herbed crust is hard to beat. I've smoked some from time to time but find that I prefer the traditional oven to it. The exception is when I plan to cut said roast into steaks to finish on the grill. There I smoke the rare roasted steaks over very low heat for just a half hour or so and then move to a hot grill or pan to sear. When I do this I am shooting for a sublime marriage of the best parts of both the roast and the steak.

Lets throw a whole nuther angle into this though: sous vide. This is particularly useful with doing a prime rib that isn't quite prime grade. I do the same dry brining followed by a long SV @ around 129 to insure tenderization. Then dry it well, re rub and pop it in a very hot oven to set the crust. An intervening short period of cold smoking with something like whiskey barrel oak can add another level of complexity.

I like to serve mine with a variety of accompaniments including au jus, horseradish cream, Béarnaise, chimichurri, etc. A pour over with a sizzling garlic butter makes a nice presentation as does a bourbon flambe.

All of this is rather academic with me now though as first daughterling and now Marie have decreed themselves to be vegetarians. FML. A whole prime rib is not something typically cooked for the solo diner. My only option is to cut, vacuum bag, and sous vide single portions. They will be pasteurized and will keep for a month+. I can take one out, dry & sear and have a reasonable meal for one.
    My condolences.
    GOD
    USA
    SEC

1st Team All-American gamecockphan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rex123 View Post
    No doubt.

Now you could still reverse sear it low and slow on a Green Egg to just under rare and then sear the exterior and bring it to mid rare temp. I just depends if you want all that smoke taste on your prime rib.

Sous vide for 24 hours then sear on cast iron.

This our annual Christmas dinner tradition.

I order the roast (2 people per rib) and have the butcher cut of the bones. But I keep the bones to serve as a rack for the roast.

I wash and dry. I then slit every couple of inches or so and stuff with as much fresh garlic as I can add - whole cloves. The last roast was 13# and I used probably 50 cloves of garlic. I then rub it down generously with a mixture of ground dried sage and black pepper (1:1 ratio). I do not add garlic to the bottom of the roast - but I do add some loose garlic between the roast and bone rack. I tie the roast to the rack using butcher's twine, wrap in saran wrap and refrigerate overnight.

I roast in the oven on convection for 30 minutes at 375 degrees for the first 30 minutes and then at 350 degrees for the remainder - until the thermometer reads 130 - 135 degrees for rare. I cook on a broiler pan - so air circulates around the roast. I cook uncovered until the crust is good and brown - then cover loosely with aluminum foil.

The sage is rich but the crust is amazing. There are never any complaints and unfortunately never any left overs.

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckCPA View Post
    This our annual Christmas dinner tradition.

I order the roast (2 people per rib) and have the butcher cut of the bones. But I keep the bones to serve as a rack for the roast.

I wash and dry. I then slit every couple of inches or so and stuff with as much fresh garlic as I can add - whole cloves. The last roast was 13# and I used probably 50 cloves of garlic. I then rub it down generously with a mixture of ground dried sage and black pepper (1:1 ratio). I do not add garlic to the bottom of the roast - but I do add some loose garlic between the roast and bone rack. I tie the roast to the rack using butcher's twine, wrap in saran wrap and refrigerate overnight.

I roast in the oven on convection for 30 minutes at 375 degrees for the first 30 minutes and then at 350 degrees for the remainder - until the thermometer reads 130 - 135 degrees for rare. I cook on a broiler pan - so air circulates around the roast. I cook uncovered until the crust is good and brown - then cover loosely with aluminum foil.

The sage is rich but the crust is amazing. There are never any complaints and unfortunately never any left overs.
    What's the garlic come out looking like? I'm just curious if it's a paste like when you roast a clove of garlic.

That sounds damn delicious.
    GOD
    USA
    SEC

Quote Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post

Hmm can you not cut it down a lb at a time and freeze the rest? Wholly cow on the vegetarians, just tell them if they want something to let you know. Most vegetarians I know will eat meat once in a while. My friends wife use to be vegan, she has opened up more meat options, no land meats, but she does eat seafood.

Gonna try a Prime Rib on my RECTEC SMOKER today. I spoke with Chef Greg over at the Augusta, GA store and he has about 3 different ways to cook it and I think I am going to do his "Smoked Prime Rib" recipe this evening. Will let everyone know how it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamecock Rob View Post
    Sous vide for 24 hours then sear on cast iron.
    Yea I want to try this

Did the "Smoked Prime Rib Recipe" by Chef Greg of RECTEC Pellet Smokers and it was a "Home Run"!!!! I did a 4.25 lb prime rib and cooked it as Chef Greg said in his video recipe and it was fabulous!!!

These things ain't cheap when you buy them - so as this was the first one I had done on my RECTEC Smoker - I got to say I was a little worried about the outcome, but it was awesome and is the best one I have ever eaten - anywhere!!!

For all of you lovers of "Great Prime Rib", I have done this about 3 times on my RECTEC RT 700 Bull and it will "knock your socks off" as it is that good!! Makes me want to go and tell "Myron Mixon" to sit his little short ass down and eat him some dam good prime rib!!!!