View Poll Results: Gamecocks Men Make NCAAT in 2018-19 Season

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    25 35.71%
  • No

    45 64.29%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 116

Thread: Gamecocks Road to the NCAAT in 2018-19 Season.

  1. #1
    Gamecocks R US MGMT CockyLifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The Grand Strand SC
    Posts
    6,102

    Default Gamecocks Road to the NCAAT in 2018-19 Season.

    Now this is a new season for us being undefeated in a very deep SEC this year I would like to know who thinks we can make the NCAAT and what you all think we would need to accomplish record wise for this to happen.



    Me personally I feel if we stay up there at the top of the Conference Standings we would get in even with double digit losses. Our conference gets much more respect because of our final 4 run in 2017 that means stay at or near the top of it and we are in. The finish of your season is more important than the start or so we have all been told over the years. My goal is at least 12 wins in Conference (12-6) would have us at an overall record of 18-13 and inside the bubble due to us closing our season so strong. 2 wins in our conference tournament and that's icing on our cake 20-13 and an 8 seed or better in the NCAA's let's go Cocks!


    Edited forgot about the Ok State game win that then 19-13 I think we are in.




    What do you guys think?
    Last edited by CockyLifer; 01-13-2019 at 05:36 PM.
    Gamecock born, Gamecock bred
    When I die I'll be Gamecock dead...
    Currently raising more Gamecocks to carry the torch!

  2. #2
    Champ KJHillis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    423

    Default Re: Gamecocks Road to the NCAAT in 2018-19 Season.

    That's not really on the radar for me, but I think the selection committee should consider recent performance much more than early non-conference games. A lot of young teams take a while to gel, even more so with Frank Martin teams. The best teams should be in the tournament.

    If the Gamecocks finish 12-6 in the SEC, I think that shows they're good enough to be in the tournament. But that's if they play that well. I think the early season losses will be held against them, and they would have to be one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the SEC to overcome that. Again, it's fun to get excited, but that doesn't seem realistic to me.

  3. #3
    Blue Chip spurfan93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    columbia
    Posts
    833

    Default Re: Gamecocks Road to the NCAAT in 2018-19 Season.

    I do think a 12-6 conference record would be good enough. I just don’t know how long they can keep this up. Seems like Franks teams always find a groove and play well in January but then they kind of fade down the stretch. It’s happened the last three years (the final four team lost four of the last five conference games and then the opening round of the conference tournament). Now you add in all the injuries to the team this year. If they were healthy, I’d like their chances a lot more.

  4. #4
    Hoops Fanatic doublea1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    530

    Default Re: Gamecocks Road to the NCAAT in 2018-19 Season.

    Quote Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
    Now this is a new season for us being undefeated in a very deep SEC this year I would like to know who thinks we can make the NCAAT and what you all think we would need to accomplish record wise for this to happen.



    Me personally I feel if we stay up there at the top of the Conference Standings we would get in even with double digit losses. Our conference gets much more respect because of our final 4 run in 2017 that means stay at or near the top of it and we are in. The finish of your season is more important than the start or so we have all been told over the years. My goal is at least 12 wins in Conference (12-6) would have us at an overall record of 20-13 and inside the bubble due to us closing our season so strong. 2 wins in our conference tournament and that's icing on our cake 22-13 and an 8 seed or better in the NCAA's let's go Cocks!



    What do you guys think?

    It's a little early yet to tell how SEC play will go. I posted in today's game thread that I think 12-6 is entirely possible IF (and that's a big if...) we play really well on the road at Vandy. We've got a juggernaut in Tennessee to face twice. Both of those, barring two significant injuries to Tennessee personnel are losses. Ole Miss is likely two losses (one at least on the road, and the home game will be tough). LSU is a loss. Kentucky, if we play the game we are playing now is a potential W (because they're not shooting well this year), but given that it is in Lexington, we've got a tough one there as well.


    Honestly though... if we show that we can play well on the road, I think we've got a great opportunity to finish SEC regular season play with Frank Martin equaling the 12-6 record from our NCAA season.


    This all, of course, is contingent upon staying healthy for the remainder of the year.
    “What draws people to be friends is that they see the same truth. They share it.”
    ― C.S. Lewis

  5. #5
    Gamecocks R US MGMT CockyLifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The Grand Strand SC
    Posts
    6,102

    Default Re: Gamecocks Road to the NCAAT in 2018-19 Season.

    Quote Originally Posted by doublea1971 View Post
    It's a little early yet to tell how SEC play will go. I posted in today's game thread that I think 12-6 is entirely possible IF (and that's a big if...) we play really well on the road at Vandy. We've got a juggernaut in Tennessee to face twice. Both of those, barring two significant injuries to Tennessee personnel are losses. Ole Miss is likely two losses (one at least on the road, and the home game will be tough). LSU is a loss. Kentucky, if we play the game we are playing now is a potential W (because they're not shooting well this year), but given that it is in Lexington, we've got a tough one there as well.


    Honestly though... if we show that we can play well on the road, I think we've got a great opportunity to finish SEC regular season play with Frank Martin equaling the 12-6 record from our NCAA season.


    This all, of course, is contingent upon staying healthy for the remainder of the year.

    Valid points but I am not yet ready to concede 2 losses to Tennessee. WE were able to beat the Gators by the same margin of victory this season. The Oklahoma State is very winnable Frank plays that conference well would love to beat Uk as well. Personally I think our struggles down the home stretch of the season won't affect our young team as much because they are young and probably still think they can win it all and be NBA guys like they all do right? This team is establishing that spark that it had 2 years ago and I think the fans can carry them further.
    Gamecock born, Gamecock bred
    When I die I'll be Gamecock dead...
    Currently raising more Gamecocks to carry the torch!

  6. #6
    Gamecocks R US MGMT CockyLifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The Grand Strand SC
    Posts
    6,102

    Default Re: Gamecocks Road to the NCAAT in 2018-19 Season.

    Quote Originally Posted by KJHillis View Post
    That's not really on the radar for me, but I think the selection committee should consider recent performance much more than early non-conference games. A lot of young teams take a while to gel, even more so with Frank Martin teams. The best teams should be in the tournament.

    If the Gamecocks finish 12-6 in the SEC, I think that shows they're good enough to be in the tournament. But that's if they play that well. I think the early season losses will be held against them, and they would have to be one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the SEC to overcome that. Again, it's fun to get excited, but that doesn't seem realistic to me.

    In a 3 way tie at the top now we keep that up we're in!
    Gamecock born, Gamecock bred
    When I die I'll be Gamecock dead...
    Currently raising more Gamecocks to carry the torch!

  7. #7
    1st Team All-SEC wincocks84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Summerville
    Posts
    3,832

    Default Re: Gamecocks Road to the NCAAT in 2018-19 Season.

    Gotta stay healthy. I'm just enjoying some positive news related to Gamecock men's sports.

  8. #8
    Hoops Fanatic doublea1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    530

    Default Re: Gamecocks Road to the NCAAT in 2018-19 Season.

    Quote Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
    Valid points but I am not yet ready to concede 2 losses to Tennessee. WE were able to beat the Gators by the same margin of victory this season. The Oklahoma State is very winnable Frank plays that conference well would love to beat Uk as well. Personally I think our struggles down the home stretch of the season won't affect our young team as much because they are young and probably still think they can win it all and be NBA guys like they all do right? This team is establishing that spark that it had 2 years ago and I think the fans can carry them further.
    I do wish I had your optimism there. Right now, for my money, Tennessee is the best basketball team in the nation. They are deeper on the bench than any other team, and statistically they're crushing everyone in our league - they lead in PPG in the SEC, as well as FG%. They have two of the top 5 FT shooters in the league, and Schofield is one of the top 3PT shooters in the league. Oh, and Williams and Schofield are #1 and #2 in scoring per game.


    I would love to steal one from Rick Barnes, simply because of his days in orange up the road. But right now, I'm not seeing it.
    “What draws people to be friends is that they see the same truth. They share it.”
    ― C.S. Lewis

  9. #9
    2nd Team All-SEC Senior Rooster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lexington. SC
    Posts
    2,660

    Default Re: Gamecocks Road to the NCAAT in 2018-19 Season.

    Quote Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
    Valid points but I am not yet ready to concede 2 losses to Tennessee. WE were able to beat the Gators by the same margin of victory this season. The Oklahoma State is very winnable Frank plays that conference well would love to beat Uk as well. Personally I think our struggles down the home stretch of the season won't affect our young team as much because they are young and probably still think they can win it all and be NBA guys like they all do right? This team is establishing that spark that it had 2 years ago and I think the fans can carry them further.



    ON TARGET!!! FIRE FOR EFFECT!!!


    OORAH!!!!!!!

  10. #10
    1st Team All-American Cockhornleghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Columbia
    Posts
    10,185

    Default Re: Gamecocks Road to the NCAAT in 2018-19 Season.

    12-6 plus at least one SECT win gets us in.

  11. #11
    Hoops Fanatic doublea1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    530

    Default Re: Gamecocks Road to the NCAAT in 2018-19 Season.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
    12-6 plus at least one SECT win gets us in.

    12-6 with two in the SEC tourney, as long as we have more than the two SEC tourney wins in a row.
    “What draws people to be friends is that they see the same truth. They share it.”
    ― C.S. Lewis

  12. #12
    Gamecocks R US MGMT CockyLifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The Grand Strand SC
    Posts
    6,102

    Default Re: Gamecocks Road to the NCAAT in 2018-19 Season.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
    12-6 plus at least one SECT win gets us in.

    I think that is certainly doable we only have to go 9-6 the rest of the way! Come on BBALL COCKS bring it home!
    Gamecock born, Gamecock bred
    When I die I'll be Gamecock dead...
    Currently raising more Gamecocks to carry the torch!

  13. #13
    Gamecocks R US MGMT CockyLifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The Grand Strand SC
    Posts
    6,102

    Default Re: Gamecocks Road to the NCAAT in 2018-19 Season.

    Quote Originally Posted by doublea1971 View Post
    12-6 with two in the SEC tourney, as long as we have more than the two SEC tourney wins in a row.

    I concur!
    Gamecock born, Gamecock bred
    When I die I'll be Gamecock dead...
    Currently raising more Gamecocks to carry the torch!

  14. #14
    1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mt. Pleasant
    Posts
    12,123

    Default Re: Gamecocks Road to the NCAAT in 2018-19 Season.

    We can make it with an 11-7 record, but we will also need to beat Okie State and win two tourney games. We are in at 12-6 and either an Okie State or tournament win.

    One encouraging thing is our depth as we get into the grind of the SEC season. Frink gives us another inside banger and Minaya should be ready in the next week or so to give us another perimeter player.

  15. #15
    Git Dat Baw Luke Skycocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    North Augusta
    Posts
    47,362

    Default Re: Gamecocks Road to the NCAAT in 2018-19 Season.

    Not sure why anyone would expect to win any games in the SEC tournament, basketball or baseball. That's a lost cause

  16. #16
    Git Dat Baw Luke Skycocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    North Augusta
    Posts
    47,362

    Default Re: Gamecocks Road to the NCAAT in 2018-19 Season.

    But to do what you guys are saying, you really need to beat Vandy, UGA twice, A&M twice and find 2-3 more. Long odds

  17. #17
    Underestimated SanAntonioCock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    San Antonio,TX
    Posts
    14,810

    Default Re: Gamecocks Road to the NCAAT in 2018-19 Season.

    The other two times we started 3-0 we won the SEC and went to the Final Four.


    🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓

  18. #18
    Gamecocks R US MGMT CockyLifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The Grand Strand SC
    Posts
    6,102

    Default Re: Gamecocks Road to the NCAAT in 2018-19 Season.

    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioCock View Post
    The other two times we started 3-0 we won the SEC and went to the Final Four.

    I'll take both this year!
    Gamecock born, Gamecock bred
    When I die I'll be Gamecock dead...
    Currently raising more Gamecocks to carry the torch!

  19. #19
    1st Team All-SEC Wisercock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    4,415

    Default Re: Gamecocks Road to the NCAAT in 2018-19 Season.

    It is possible, but not very likely. The next 2 games against Vandy and LSwho on the road will be tough ones for these guys. Win one of the two and we're on schedule. Lose them both and we have to make up ground against teams with even more talent.

    Hold a gun to my head and I think we end up winning 6 more. A 9-7 conference record from where we started would be impressive but it won't get us in the NCAA tournament unless we win the SECT.

  20. #20
    Gamecocks R US MGMT CockyLifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The Grand Strand SC
    Posts
    6,102

    Default Re: Gamecocks Road to the NCAAT in 2018-19 Season.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    It is possible, but not very likely. The next 2 games against Vandy and LSwho on the road will be tough ones for these guys. Win one of the two and we're on schedule. Lose them both and we have to make up ground against teams with even more talent.

    Hold a gun to my head and I think we end up winning 6 more. A 9-7 conference record from where we started would be impressive but it won't get us in the NCAA tournament unless we win the SECT.

    We can't go 9-7 that's only 16 Conference games. We play 18 just saying mathematically we are still able to get in the NCAAT at this time.
    Gamecock born, Gamecock bred
    When I die I'll be Gamecock dead...
    Currently raising more Gamecocks to carry the torch!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •