View Poll Results: Gamecocks Men Make NCAAT in 2018-19 Season

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 35.71%
  • No

45 64.29%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gamecocks Road to the NCAAT in 2018-19 Season.

Default Re: Gamecocks Road to the NCAAT in 2018-19 Season.

Hard to figure what the NCAAT committee will do. Depends on our regular season SEC record, our place in the SEC standings. I don't know what our RPI, or whatever they use now would be if we went 11-7 in the SEC regular season, but that record would put us in the top half of the SEC. But the committee might pick a team with a worse SEC record that has a better RPI type rating. We just need to take each game as it comes and try to win it. Worry about what we can control.

Quote Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
    Hard to figure what the NCAAT committee will do. Depends on our regular season SEC record, our place in the SEC standings. I don't know what our RPI, or whatever they use now would be if we went 11-7 in the SEC regular season, but that record would put us in the top half of the SEC. But the committee might pick a team with a worse SEC record that has a better RPI type rating. We just need to take each game as it comes and try to win it. Worry about what we can control.
    Just win every game and it will take care of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker View Post
    But to do what you guys are saying, you really need to beat Vandy, UGA twice, A&M twice and find 2-3 more. Long odds

UGA and A&M twice are doable. Vandy, I'm a little more worried about. We will see exactly where this team is after Wednesday vs. Vandy. An on the road contest vs. a good (good, not great) Vandy squad. Vandy has a poor record so far in the SEC, but they've faced the best of the best already. They beat Arizona State, lost to Kansas State, lost to Ole Miss and lost to Kentucky. ALL of those games were within 11 points, and were closer before the end of the game.

After Vandy, I'll be better able to make an educated assessment of just where the Gamecocks are this season. I'm hoping that the 3-0 start is just the beginning of something really special for the year (though I suspect the LSU game will be chalked up as a loss).
    “What draws people to be friends is that they see the same truth. They share it.”
    ― C.S. Lewis

Highly unlikely at this point. We have 15 league games left. If we win 11 (let's call the OSU game a win) then that puts us at 20 wins with a 14-4 league mark. MAYBE if we did that and won a couple SECT games that would be enough. Just too many ugly early season losses.

Quote Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post
    Highly unlikely at this point. We have 15 league games left. If we win 11 (let's call the OSU game a win) then that puts us at 20 wins with a 14-4 league mark. MAYBE if we did that and won a couple SECT games that would be enough. Just too many ugly early season losses.
    This is just my opinion, but if we get to 20-11 with a 14-4 SEC record the only way we don't get into the NCAA tournament is if the committee only takes 3 SEC teams. They took 6 last year.

That said, I think we will end up 9-7 in conference play. That's 6 more wins. If we beat Ok. State then we will end up 15-16 and go nowhere unless we win the SECT.

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

20 wins and we are at least a #6 seed. We might make it in with 18 wins, probably with 19 wins.

This is not the SEC of the 2015-2016 season, when we won 24 games and were on the outside looking in.

I think they are going to have to win the sect to get in

Quote Originally Posted by doublea1971 View Post
    UGA and A&M twice are doable. Vandy, I'm a little more worried about. We will see exactly where this team is after Wednesday vs. Vandy. An on the road contest vs. a good (good, not great) Vandy squad. Vandy has a poor record so far in the SEC, but they've faced the best of the best already. They beat Arizona State, lost to Kansas State, lost to Ole Miss and lost to Kentucky. ALL of those games were within 11 points, and were closer before the end of the game.

After Vandy, I'll be better able to make an educated assessment of just where the Gamecocks are this season. I'm hoping that the 3-0 start is just the beginning of something really special for the year (though I suspect the LSU game will be chalked up as a loss).
    Looking forward to an educated assessment we have seen what Frank Martin teams can do when they start to believe and nothing about what we saw the first week of SEC play indicates the team doesn't believe.
    Gamecock born, Gamecock bred
    When I die I'll be Gamecock dead...
    Currently raising more Gamecocks to carry the torch!

Quote Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
    I think they are going to have to win the sect to get in
    I would like to win it but I think that is quite extreme imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
    20 wins and we are at least a #6 seed. We might make it in with 18 wins, probably with 19 wins.

This is not the SEC of the 2015-2016 season, when we won 24 games and were on the outside looking in.
    The bigger point is that it would take a 14-4 conference record to get to 20 wins. With our absolutely horrible early season losses, I seriously doubt 18 wins would get us in unless we supplemented with a few SECT wins. When we made the tourney a couple seasons ago we entered league play with 10 wins. This year we had 5. That just put seriously behind the 8 ball. And the committee won’t forget that we got absolutely curb stomped by Wofford and also lost to a very very bad Wyoming.

20 wins and a 14-4 conference record gets us in. Anything less than that and it’s anyone’a guess.

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

The bigger point is that it would take a 14-4 conference record to get to 20 wins. With our absolutely horrible early season losses, I seriously doubt 18 wins would get us in unless we supplemented with a few SECT wins. When we made the tourney a couple seasons ago we entered league play with 10 wins. This year we had 5. That just put seriously behind the 8 ball. And the committee won’t forget that we got absolutely curb stomped by Wofford and also lost to a very very bad Wyoming.

20 wins and a 14-4 conference record gets us in. Anything less than that and it’s anyone’a guess.
    18 wins would mean 13-5 in conference, or 12-6 in conference with a win over Oklahoma State. I agree that we would need at least a tournament win to be safe, but winning 19 and 2/3 of conference games should (there is that word) get us in.

Only five OOC wins hurts but the the NCAA has rewarded teams that play well late as opposed to teams that play well early. That was an argument against our inclusion in 2015-2016. And the inexperience/injuries at the start of the year give us an asterisk that will help us.

Plus, we are two years removed from a Final Four appearance. Not a Duke resume, but unlike 2015-2016, at least we have an NCAA resume.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
    18 wins would mean 13-5 in conference, or 12-6 in conference with a win over Oklahoma State. I agree that we would need at least a tournament win to be safe, but winning 19 and 2/3 of conference games should (there is that word) get us in.

Only five OOC wins hurts but the the NCAA has rewarded teams that play well late as opposed to teams that play well early. That was an argument against our inclusion in 2015-2016. And the inexperience/injuries at the start of the year give us an asterisk that will help us.

Plus, we are two years removed from a Final Four appearance. Not a Duke resume, but unlike 2015-2016, at least we have an NCAA resume.
    True...makes sense.

The Wyoming loss is brutal, but the Wofford and Stony Brook losses don't look nearly as bad with each passing day. Wofford is one of the best mid-majors in the country (32nd in NET - ahead of Miss St. and UF; 40th in Kenpom), and Stony Brook is 15-3 and will be competing with Vermont to win the American East and make the tourney, though the rankings aren't as kind at 132 in the NET 1 spot above us).

The way it looks right now, the SEC + Oklahoma State offers no chances for bad losses, and only chances for good wins. In fact, as things stand today in the NET rankings, our remaining 16 regular season games include 10 quadrant 1 games (the next 7 in a row!), 4 quadrant 2 games, and 2 quadrant 3s (both are very close to being in quad 2).

The way I see it, if the team can get to 18 or 19 wins including the SECt (and excluding North Greenville) it will give the committee a lot to think about. It's extremely difficult for me to see us getting left out with 20+ total wins given what our resume would have to include at that point, and what our SEC record would be.

It's a long road though. Let's just get to 4-0 in conference tomorrow before the schedule gets really tough.

It's amazing how everyone was saying how bad we are not that long ago.. 3 games later we are having a tourney discussion lol

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.

To finish 18-13 (12-6 in the conference) we will most likely have done the following:

Beaten Florida, Vandy, aTm, and UGA on the road; and

Beaten MSU, Mizzo, Auburn, UT, Arkansas, 'Bama, UGA and Ole Miss at home. (and beaten Ok. State on the road)

That would include losses @LSU, @UK, @UT, @MO, @MSU, and @aTm. None of those would be terrible losses.

It is important that we hold serve at home. It is also important that our opponents have strong records. So far, most of them do.

Finally, it will help a lot if we beat the ranked conference opponents at least once and play them close on the road. Hopefully, if we are on the bubble, but have played well since January 1st, the committee may discount the early season losses.

There is very little room for error.

My heart says NCAA, but my head says NIT. I wouldn't be surprised if we are in a play-in game though.
    University of South Carolina '19

At this point, too much has to go right.

Quote Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
    At this point, too much has to go right.
    What were your thoughts when we made the tourney 2 years ago how did you think we would do then?

Quote Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
    It's amazing how everyone was saying how bad we are not that long ago.. 3 games later we are having a tourney discussion lol
    A lot of our early season losses were to very experienced good teams and our young team looks to have grown up from it.

Quote Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
    What were your thoughts when we made the tourney 2 years ago how did you think we would do then?

Just making the tournament? That we had a really good team and all those early loses were on missing Sin. We should've made the tourney the year before so I entered that year fully expecting to make the cut.

If you're asking did I think we'd make the Final 4, the answer is no. And I bet not a single Gamecock fan would've made that bet on selection day either.