View Poll Results: Gamecocks Men Make NCAAT in 2018-19 Season

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 35.71%
  • No

45 64.29%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gamecocks Road to the NCAAT in 2018-19 Season.

Default Re: Gamecocks Road to the NCAAT in 2018-19 Season.

Quote Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
    Just making the tournament? That we had a really good team and all those early loses were on missing Sin. We should've made the tourney the year before so I entered that year fully expecting to make the cut.

If you're asking did I think we'd make the Final 4, the answer is no. And I bet not a single Gamecock fan would've made that bet on selection day either.
    So there is the chance that we can do it this year if your thoughts are still no! That's all I wanted lol I was in Greenville and that night there was many believers it was magical!
    Gamecock born, Gamecock bred
    When I die I'll be Gamecock dead...
    Currently raising more Gamecocks to carry the torch!

Quote Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
    So there is the chance that we can do it this year if your thoughts are still no! That's all I wanted lol I was in Greenville and that night there was many believers it was magical!

There's a chance we'll go undefeated and win it all. There's a chance that Dabo quits today. There's a chance that next year we will beat Bama, Clemson, and UGA.

Just because there's a chance, it doesn't mean there's a high probability.

So...no. I don't believe those things I mentioned will happen even if there's a chance, and I still think there's too much we're asking from a young team in a stronger conference to do to get us into the tourney.

Hit me up after the road stretch and Auburn and maybe I'll change my mid.

Pompous Ass Hillbilly GregoryHouse's Avatar

If the Gamecocks continue their current streak and win most of their SEC games, I see little reason they cannot make the tournament.

if they start to slump and lose some games, my confidence in their ability to make the tournament will decrease.

As of today the Gamecocks are 8-7 on the season and 3-0 in the SEC.
    I don't worry about falling skies as much as I worry about low ceilings.

They should be walking distance from the tournament this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
    They should be walking distance from the tournament this year.
    Seriously? We would play at CLA?

I would think the committee would send us to East Lansing or Santa Clara. (or some other place equally far away)

Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    Seriously? We would play at CLA?

I would think the committee would send us to East Lansing or Santa Clara. (or some other place equally far away)
    Teams in the tournament can't play on their home court if that city is hosting. So we can't play in Columbia for the first two rounds. Whenever the tournament is in Raleigh, NC State can't play there. And so forth.
    University of South Carolina '19

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gamecocks0197 View Post
    Teams in the tournament can't play on their home court if that city is hosting. So we can't play in Columbia for the first two rounds. Whenever the tournament is in Raleigh, NC State can't play there. And so forth.
    Having the NCAA games in Columbia is causing repercussions for the Ladies, since they are trending towards Tournament host status. I personally would love to see the return of the House that Frank Built for a last hurrah and that would work (I do not think they play on the same days as the Men, so parking would not be an issue). But Ido not know if the seating will work since the Coliseum has been re-purposed.

Other options would be travel to G-ville or Chucktown, but I read where both NorthChuck Coliseum and Bon Secours had conflicting events. Maybe Charlotte or a smaller venue in Charleston?

Of course, TinyLoo Coliseum near Clemson should be wide open once the NCAA Tournament starts....

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
    Having the NCAA games in Columbia is causing repercussions for the Ladies, since they are trending towards Tournament host status. I personally would love to see the return of the House that Frank Built for a last hurrah and that would work (I do not think they play on the same days as the Men, so parking would not be an issue). But Ido not know if the seating will work since the Coliseum has been re-purposed.

Other options would be travel to G-ville or Chucktown, but I read where both NorthChuck Coliseum and Bon Secours had conflicting events. Maybe Charlotte or a smaller venue in Charleston?

Of course, TinyLoo Coliseum near Clemson should be wide open once the NCAA Tournament starts....
    Coliseum would not work. It's a practice facility now so many of the seats have been torn out. Off topic, but eventually that building will become a student union.

If Greenville and Charleston are not open, probably will go to Clemson. I can't think of another location. Doubt they put it in Charlotte.
    University of South Carolina '19

Just remember that we are 4-0 against teams who have a combined SEC record of 2-12. We have a chance Saturday to defeat a team with a winning SEC record. That would be big.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerooster View Post
    Just remember that we are 4-0 against teams who have a combined SEC record of 2-12. We have a chance Saturday to defeat a team with a winning SEC record. That would be big.
    True dat. Plus we would be up three service breaks (road wins), and the consensus is that we need to finish 12-6 (at least) in the SEC.

LSU is a good team. I do not think they are better than, say, Mississippi State, but we got to play MSU at home. I am not sure that they are better than Florida either, but we kinda snuck up on the Gators. So this will be our toughest game to date.

Look for the Roselle Catholic players in this one - two Southern teams relying heavily on Jersey talent. Silva needs to do a better job that he did at Vandy, where he lost the battle with Freshman Shittu. Fellow Roselle Catholic alum Naz Reid will be a handful for Silva - 52% from 2 and 39% from 3 as a Freshman. Maybe Sideshow Zo can give some scouting pointers on how to handle him?

We have 14 SEC regular season games left. If we can win 7 out of those 14, that will make us 11-7 in the SEC. I think that would (might) be enough to get us in the NCAAT. That record would put is in the top 5 or 6 in the SEC, which should be good enough to get us in.

Buckle up, BOOM Comin' SCohioBoy's Avatar

Those early season losses still hurt, need to win one vs Auburn and Tenn to offset those.
    "We played the State Championship in a place called Death Valley," he said. "I looked up in the fourth quarter and the only ones still alive were the Gamecocks."--SOS

I voted no, I still feel no, but I don't think we're as lost of a cause as it looked. We still didn't look great against Vandy, and if we wouldn't have gone on a very uncharacteristic run to end the game with 14 straight free throws, we probably don't.
    Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
    I agree with Cack.

Quote Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
    Those early season losses still hurt, need to win one vs Auburn and Tenn to offset those.
    We play Tenn twice. Iíll be happy splitting those but our SEC schedule has been easy compared to the rest of the season.

My thoughts are that 11 wins in the remaining 15 regular season games + the SEC tourney should get us in. 12 more is a lock. 10 more makes it unlikely but possible depending on who we beat.

11 wins gets us to 19. Last year, an 18-13 Oklahoma and a 19-15 Alabama made it in. In 2017, 4 19 win teams got at-large bids, and 3 more in 2016. With the strength of this year's SEC, we should get the same treatment as these previous 19 win teams.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinSC8 View Post
    My thoughts are that 11 wins in the remaining 15 regular season games + the SEC tourney should get us in. 12 more is a lock. 10 more makes it unlikely but possible depending on who we beat.

11 wins gets us to 19. Last year, an 18-13 Oklahoma and a 19-15 Alabama made it in. In 2017, 4 19 win teams got at-large bids, and 3 more in 2016. With the strength of this year's SEC, we should get the same treatment as these previous 19 win teams.
    That looks reasonable, but they are using a different measure this year. There is discussion about it above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerooster View Post
    Yep. The road gets more narrow and steep from here on out.

That looks reasonable, but they are using a different measure this year. There is discussion about it above.
    I posted in another thread - after years of being done in by the RPI, the NCAA is using NET now. Per the NET, we are a distant 14th in a 14 team league. Not that the RPI would be a lot better - I saw one where we are 10th in the league and ranked 98th. We need to not only continue with the wins, but we will need to beat some of the big dogs (Auburn Tennessee, Kentucky).

The good news is that LSU is one of the higher SEC teams in NET, and you get consideration for winning on the road. So we could move up nicely with a win Saturday. Git dat Real Death Valley Tiger!

That net graphic is total horse hockey!

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
    I posted in another thread - after years of being done in by the RPI, the NCAA is using NET now. Per the NET, we are a distant 14th in a 14 team league. Not that the RPI would be a lot better - I saw one where we are 10th in the league and ranked 98th. We need to not only continue with the wins, but we will need to beat some of the big dogs (Auburn Tennessee, Kentucky).

The good news is that LSU is one of the higher SEC teams in NET, and you get consideration for winning on the road. So we could move up nicely with a win Saturday. Git dat Real Death Valley Tiger!
    The net rating is total horse crap! It has us ranked as the worst team in the SEC even though we have defeated 4 teams ranked ahead of us in the same graphic and have yet o lose to anyone in the graphic. We are not the worst team in the conference so far this season that graphic or not or whatever is total garbage! So now doing well in your conference means nothing. This is the first time ever it used to be most everything.