Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 58

Thread: Unanimous

  1. #21
    Bowl MVP dreammachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clearwater, S.C.
    Posts
    2,129

    Default Re: Unanimous

    Quote Originally Posted by AmonRa777 View Post
    Barry Bonds should have been the first unanimous pick. Better player than Rivera.









    Two different position players - one was the most dominating closer in the modern era of baseball and the other was a great position player - who decided to cheat and elevate his game by using PED's. Mo Rivera was a great team player also and did his best with the GOD given talent he had. B. Bonds could have made it on his own natural talent - but instead cheated and wanted it all and what did it get him?



    If you allow Bonds into the HOF - then Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson and a few others should be considered too.

  2. #22
    Bowl MVP dreammachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clearwater, S.C.
    Posts
    2,129

    Default Re: Unanimous

    Quote Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post
    527 batters faced in the postseason. 11 earned runs. 2 home runs.

    Let that sink in.

    No other player in the history of baseball has been that dominant at their position in the postseason. Not even close.





    Just the "Best" in the modern era. Great pitcher and Great Yankee!!!



  3. #23
    Bowl MVP dreammachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clearwater, S.C.
    Posts
    2,129

    Default Re: Unanimous

    Quote Originally Posted by GregoryHouse View Post
    exactly but hopefully now the voters have gotten past the silly notion of no one deserving of unanimous HoF just because Babe wasn't.

    I guess someone had to eventually break the seal.





    A much different mindset among the early voters in the HOF. Some of the guys that they left out back then would surely make it in today's modern era.

  4. #24
    Starter SheckWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Buckhead
    Posts
    1,329

    Default Re: Unanimous

    One thing I don’t get about the steroid users is.
    Ivan Rodriguez and Jeff Bagwell were recently elected to the hall.

    Now Bonds technically never tested positive but neither did these guys.
    But these players names had been on the same reports Bonds was on, right?
    GeoCocky was right, GSW did not beat the Bucks in 5 in the finals

  5. #25
    2nd Team All-SEC CockNJersey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Jersey USA
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: Unanimous

    Quote Originally Posted by SheckWes View Post
    I agree completely actually
    I think Mo was the only deserving honestly
    I think Halladay got a push because he recently died.
    Mussina was good but was there any year in his career where you said he was the best pitcher in baseball?
    I think the issue was that the steroid guys lost so many votes that other voters felt obliged to vote for something.

    Halladay was great at times but overall his career numbers arenít HOF worthy IMO
    The argument Iíve mostly seen for Moose is that he was so consistent. Donít get me wrong, I loved the guy in NY but is consistency all it takes now?

  6. #26
    Starter SheckWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Buckhead
    Posts
    1,329

    Default Re: Unanimous

    Quote Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post
    The argument Iíve mostly seen for Moose is that he was so consistent. Donít get me wrong, I loved the guy in NY but is consistency all it takes now?
    Consistent but not one CY Young award.
    I mean the only thing I will say he was the greatest at his position was , that in his time he was probably the best fielding pitcher in his league.
    GeoCocky was right, GSW did not beat the Bucks in 5 in the finals

  7. #27
    Household Name uscjeremynca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    7,020

    Default Re: Unanimous

    I agree that Rivera was a lock for the HOF. I disagree he should have been the first unanimous. That isn't his fault though. Others should have been unanimous before him. A guy that pitches one or two innings every other day shouldn't be the first unanimous pick for the HOF.

  8. #28
    Starter SheckWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Buckhead
    Posts
    1,329

    Default Re: Unanimous

    Quote Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
    I agree that Rivera was a lock for the HOF. I disagree he should have been the first unanimous. That isn't his fault though. Others should have been unanimous before him. A guy that pitches one or two innings every other day shouldn't be the first unanimous pick for the HOF.
    I know voting has changed but I just donít understand how guys like Willie Mays, Ted Williams, Hank Aaron, Stan Musial, George Brett, Greg Maddux , Tom Seaver, Nolan Ryan etc etc arenít unanimous and why people just donít vote them in
    GeoCocky was right, GSW did not beat the Bucks in 5 in the finals

  9. #29
    Official Baseball Chick USCBatgirl21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sec 4, Row 1, Seat 16 - Carolina Stadium
    Posts
    13,540

    Default Re: Unanimous

    The Captain better be the next unanimous selection. We'll find out in a year.
    What can I say...
    I swear like a sailor & use please and thank you like a saint...
    I'm complicated

  10. #30
    ONE NINE 3 cack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    27,208

    Default Re: Unanimous

    Quote Originally Posted by SheckWes View Post
    One thing I donít get about the steroid users is.
    Ivan Rodriguez and Jeff Bagwell were recently elected to the hall.

    Now Bonds technically never tested positive but neither did these guys.
    But these players names had been on the same reports Bonds was on, right?
    The reason Bonds and McGwire won't make it is because they broke records while juicing. If they just put up HOF numbers with no positive tests, then you could argue. Each of them broke the most coveted records in all of sports because of drugs, and I believe that's why they're being held out.

    Now, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the final year that Bonds is eligible he gets the nod.
    Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ


    Quote Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
    I agree with Cack.

  11. #31
    Starter SheckWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Buckhead
    Posts
    1,329

    Default Re: Unanimous

    Quote Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
    The Captain better be the next unanimous selection. We'll find out in a year.
    I donít think he will be.
    There are still many vocal people out there that wonít make him unanimous. And like to throw around the overrated card.
    Probably Boston sports writers
    GeoCocky was right, GSW did not beat the Bucks in 5 in the finals

  12. #32
    Starter SheckWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Buckhead
    Posts
    1,329

    Default Re: Unanimous

    Quote Originally Posted by cack View Post
    The reason Bonds and McGwire won't make it is because they broke records while juicing. If they just put up HOF numbers with no positive tests, then you could argue. Each of them broke the most coveted records in all of sports because of drugs, and I believe that's why they're being held out.

    Now, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the final year that Bonds is eligible he gets the nod.
    McGwire admitted to using roids.
    Heís not in because of that.
    GeoCocky was right, GSW did not beat the Bucks in 5 in the finals

  13. #33
    Household Name uscjeremynca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    7,020

    Default Re: Unanimous

    Quote Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
    The Captain better be the next unanimous selection. We'll find out in a year.
    Absolutely not. HOF, yes. Unanimous, no. There are far better players than Derek Jeter who deserved to be unanimous.

  14. #34
    5* Recruit NJGCfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    861

    Default Re: Unanimous

    Quote Originally Posted by SheckWes View Post
    I agree completely actually
    I think Mo was the only deserving honestly
    I think Halladay got a push because he recently died.
    Mussina was good but was there any year in his career where you said he was the best pitcher in baseball?
    I think the issue was that the steroid guys lost so many votes that other voters felt obliged to vote for something.

    Halladay was great at times but overall his career numbers arenít HOF worthy IMO
    83.0 career bWAR is gonna get you into the HoF for sure. Or at least it should

  15. #35
    Starter SheckWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Buckhead
    Posts
    1,329

    Default Re: Unanimous

    Quote Originally Posted by NJGCfan View Post
    83.0 career bWAR is gonna get you into the HoF for sure. Or at least it should
    You know what, looking at that comparing to others.
    I agree

    Now Halladay? 65.5 in 2 less years than Mussina

    Do you agree with that one?
    GeoCocky was right, GSW did not beat the Bucks in 5 in the finals

  16. #36
    . acejrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    7,847

    Default Re: Unanimous

    Quote Originally Posted by uscbrasco View Post
    Cal Ripken Jr should have been 1st unanimous.
    He was simply a compiler.
    .

  17. #37
    . acejrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    7,847

    Default Re: Unanimous

    Quote Originally Posted by cack View Post
    The reason Bonds and McGwire won't make it is because they broke records while juicing. If they just put up HOF numbers with no positive tests, then you could argue. Each of them broke the most coveted records in all of sports because of drugs, and I believe that's why they're being held out.

    Now, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the final year that Bonds is eligible he gets the nod.
    How do we know the previous record holders didn't use PEDs?
    Obviously technology and science knowledge changed a lot between eras, but we have no way to know they didn't use the PED or their days.
    .

  18. #38
    The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Conway, SC
    Posts
    17,459

    Default Re: Unanimous

    Quote Originally Posted by acejrock View Post
    How do we know the previous record holders didn't use PEDs?
    Obviously technology and science knowledge changed a lot between eras, but we have no way to know they didn't use the PED or their days.
    What PEDs were in their day, by the way?? Caffeine??

  19. #39
    Lock Down Corner SterlingBrooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Mauldin
    Posts
    5,941

    Default Re: Unanimous

    To think Rivera did it with just one pitch for the most part. Luckily is was pretty much unhittable

  20. #40
    Starter SheckWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Buckhead
    Posts
    1,329

    Default Re: Unanimous

    Quote Originally Posted by acejrock View Post
    How do we know the previous record holders didn't use PEDs?
    Obviously technology and science knowledge changed a lot between eras, but we have no way to know they didn't use the PED or their days.
    Tim Raines admitted to doing cocaine and greenies.
    Would you count those?
    GeoCocky was right, GSW did not beat the Bucks in 5 in the finals

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •