Thread: Bryant Has an X Factor

Default Bryant Has an X Factor

I know this is my second thread today, so please forgive me. I normally don't post threads here.

One of the most impressive things about the W against Auburn yesterday (aside from Silva's dominating performance) was how Keyshawn Bryant was able to turn it around and provide a spark to our offense.

You don't see many college players, especially freshmen, who start off having an awful night, only to turn it around and find footing by changing up their game. Bryant did just that, missing FT's and jump shots all first half, only to turn it around in the second and be physical to the rim.

We've been seeing this from Bryant all year, but last night was the most exaggerated example of it. Over the course of any given game he recognizes what is and isn't working for him, and he shapes how he plays around that. He's got a great adaptive nature about him.

As he gets stronger, bigger, and his jump shot develops a bit more, he can be the next superstar for South Carolina. He can be deadly from anywhere on the court.
    Do ya thing

The "other" M. Lattimore ucan'tlickourcocks's Avatar

Default Re: Bryant Has an X Factor

Needs to develop mid range jumper, take it to the hole UNTIL it develops!

1st Team All-American crowcutta's Avatar

i dont think its an x-factor as much as he has nba athleticism, and he's skilled at driving to the bucket. like you said though you gotta love when something isnt working he doesnt become passive, he adjusts. you can say that in respect to the ft shooting too, he's still attacking the basket even though he knows right now hes struggling at the line.

his handle needs work as well, but he can be crafty when attacking the basket which helps him get to the hole. i think he broke out his eurostep twice in the 2nd half last night leading to buckets. he may not be far along enough to work in the post, but by next season i hope we're able get him touches there like we did with thornwell. hes shooting terrible from 3, but i like that hes willing to take some and i dont have the percentages but he seems to shoot well enough from midrange. sometimes you have to take shots to open the rest of the floor for yourself and your teammates plus you never know when and where the ball will find you.

he leads the team in 2 pt shots made this year, and only silva and frink are shooting better from inside the arc.

I like Bryant. His jump shot will improve with time. I would love to see his FT shooting improve NOW! He was shooting FT much better earlier in the year. Seems to have lost his confidence there. The team badly needs him to be able to make FT.

Quote Originally Posted by 2k15 View Post
    I know this is my second thread today, so please forgive me. I normally don't post threads here.

One of the most impressive things about the W against Auburn yesterday (aside from Silva's dominating performance) was how Keyshawn Bryant was able to turn it around and provide a spark to our offense.

You don't see many college players, especially freshmen, who start off having an awful night, only to turn it around and find footing by changing up their game. Bryant did just that, missing FT's and jump shots all first half, only to turn it around in the second and be physical to the rim.

We've been seeing this from Bryant all year, but last night was the most exaggerated example of it. Over the course of any given game he recognizes what is and isn't working for him, and he shapes how he plays around that. He's got a great adaptive nature about him.

As he gets stronger, bigger, and his jump shot develops a bit more, he can be the next superstar for South Carolina. He can be deadly from anywhere on the court.
    He's as much fun to watch (Lawson is too - but he's not as free to use his athleticism) as it was watching Sin during his senior season. I credit Frank for having the wisdom to start both freshmen at the same time. They give defenses a fit.

Quote Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
    I like Bryant. His jump shot will improve with time. I would love to see his FT shooting improve NOW! He was shooting FT much better earlier in the year. Seems to have lost his confidence there. The team badly needs him to be able to make FT.
    He'll improve that. Could be nerves a little standing at the FT line. He is quick to the rim with the ball in his hands. Just needs a little more muscle.

As far as the FT's go, I think after the Vandy game where he missed those 4 critical shots at the line (with only minutes to go in the game), that made him lose his confidence moving forward.

After almost costing your team a W because of those misses, all the sudden there's a lot of pressure to make them whenever he's up at the line. I'm sure he gets the idea in his head that if he misses he may cost the team a win again, and all that mental buildup makes his shot shaky.

It's freshmen nerves. Had he been a sophomore or older he would understand how to not let it get to his head when he screws up. But as it is he feels pressure every time now. He'll figure it out
    Do ya thing

He's got the Eurostep down

KB is only going to get better.

His athleticism and execution in the paint is way better than the usual Pass-Pass-Brick the last few years.

Same for AJ.

I think Bryant has amazing potential. He's like a more polished guard-oriented version of Silva. He's shown glimpses of range and ability to draw fouls. He just needs some experience and guidance to tweak some things. I wouldn't be surprised if he's considered for All-SEC honors before he graduates/leaves the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker View Post
    He's got the Eurostep down
    Can someone explain that to me. I've heard the expression eurostep before but I don't know what it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    Can someone explain that to me. I've heard the expression eurostep before but I don't know what it means.
    Eurostep is a crafty way of using the 2 steps a player has after he stops dribbling. A lot of the time it borders on travelling and I would bet refs not used to seeing it would call the violation.

It's been common in the European leagues for a long time, but didn't really get known in the US until the mid 2000s. Manu Ginobili is probably the first NBA player to popularize it and players like James Harden and Giannis Antetokoumpo use it with great effectiveness.

Bryant was an excellent find by the coaches. Still trying to figure out how the Florida schools didn't offer him.

I credit Coach Martin for his development and adjusting his offense to utilize Bryant when he's in to make him more successful. I recall a press conference when Frank discussed posting Bryant up after he'd miss a few shots to boost his confidence, it worked (UF game).

Bryant and Coach Martin also talk about how coachable he is. He WANTS and NEEDS to be coached hard and he sees the fruit of his work.

Also awesome when Silva said Bryant tries to dunk on him in every practice... that's some balls right there! LOL

one direction with first step then the other direction with the second step and sometimes has the appearance of a hop during the transition...see every Manu Ginobili layup ever
    If y'all travel a tad south of Heaven
    and a bit north of Hell,
    Y'all find me sippin' tea in Camp Branch
    with a Gamecock story to tell.

Thanks for the explanation of the eurostep. Just watched Russell Westbrook on Youtube. Doing that takes some athleticism.

Quote Originally Posted by USCharleston2 View Post
    Bryant was an excellent find by the coaches. Still trying to figure out how the Florida schools didn't offer him.

I credit Coach Martin for his development and adjusting his offense to utilize Bryant when he's in to make him more successful. I recall a press conference when Frank discussed posting Bryant up after he'd miss a few shots to boost his confidence, it worked (UF game).

Bryant and Coach Martin also talk about how coachable he is. He WANTS and NEEDS to be coached hard and he sees the fruit of his work.

Also awesome when Silva said Bryant tries to dunk on him in every practice... that's some balls right there! LOL
    I'd love to be a fly on the wall in practice to see that.

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

The pause/change of direction is what makes it a Eurostep. It is a great way to avoid charges.

Bryant switched schools twice - he left to go to a Prep for his Junior year to polish his game and work on academics. Then he came back to FLA for his Senior year. Switching schools and the academic issues (the reason he went to prep) are the reasons that schools missed on him - he got qualified late, at the same time that Bowen was ruled ineligible and a scholarship opened up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
    The pause/change of direction is what makes it a Eurostep. It is a great way to avoid charges.

Bryant switched schools twice - he left to go to a Prep for his Junior year to polish his game and work on academics. Then he came back to FLA for his Senior year. Switching schools and the academic issues (the reason he went to prep) are the reasons that schools missed on him - he got qualified late, at the same time that Bowen was ruled ineligible and a scholarship opened up.
    Thank goodness for that. But Frank can't rely on fortuitous recruiting every year.

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

Thank goodness for that. But Frank can't rely on fortuitous recruiting every year.
    He sorta does rely on fortuitous recruiting, but a better description might be creative scouting and utilizing connections. A lot of his guys come from inside information provided by Frank's friends and contacts, many of whom have sailed under the radar.

2019 recruit Trey Anderson is a similar guy - went from Cali to a prep school in Connecticut where he was coached by a guy that knows Martin well through Five-Star Basketball Camp. Tony Bergeron's quote was:

“Frank and I go way, way back,” Bergeron said. “When I get a kid that fits for him, I certainly give him a call and let him know. I’m not one of these high school coaches who calls him every year and says ‘I got a kid, I got a kid.’ So I guess when I call, he listens to me. He needed a shooting guard and this kid’s just special."

It is similar with a lot of our other recruits. The frustrating thing is that his contacts are not in the state yet, which leaves Frank open to criticism. But I believe that he will eventually get a strong in-state network also.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
    He sorta does rely on fortuitous recruiting, but a better description might be creative scouting and utilizing connections. A lot of his guys come from inside information provided by Frank's friends and contacts, many of whom have sailed under the radar.

2019 recruit Trey Anderson is a similar guy - went from Cali to a prep school in Connecticut where he was coached by a guy that knows Martin well through Five-Star Basketball Camp. Tony Bergeron's quote was:

“Frank and I go way, way back,” Bergeron said. “When I get a kid that fits for him, I certainly give him a call and let him know. I’m not one of these high school coaches who calls him every year and says ‘I got a kid, I got a kid.’ So I guess when I call, he listens to me. He needed a shooting guard and this kid’s just special."

It is similar with a lot of our other recruits. The frustrating thing is that his contacts are not in the state yet, which leaves Frank open to criticism. But I believe that he will eventually get a strong in-state network also.
    You mean like James Thompson, Eric Cobb, Jamall Gregory, Marcus Stroman, Raymond Doby, David Beatty, Sedee Keita, and the rest who never enrolled, were dismissed or who transferred and otherwise never contributed.

I don't dispute he is a good coach, but Frank's recruiting and roster management has been poor.

But I'm sure you will spin it into a positive.