Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 86

Thread: 2019-2020 MBB roster

  1. #1
    1st Team All-SEC AmonRa777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    greenwood sc
    Posts
    4,412

    Default 2019-2020 MBB roster

    I know we are at 13 now. Will there be more attrition after Jason Cudd? If so does Coach Frank bring in a solid post player? Are we on trouble if he doesn't?

  2. #2
    The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Conway, SC
    Posts
    17,625

    Default Re: 2019-2020 MBB roster

    Quote Originally Posted by AmonRa777 View Post
    I know we are at 13 now. Will there be more attrition after Jason Cudd? If so does Coach Frank bring in a solid post player? Are we on trouble if he doesn't?
    We are at 13 now. I don't know if there is any more attrition: only Cudd was unable to get consistent minutes throughout the season, although a part of that was due to injury. We haven't seen much from Moss, and have seen nothing at all from Couisnard, but I doubt as to Moss that he should be expected to leave, as he was earning more minutes and even a start or two (I believe) before getting injured himself. Couisnard I know nothing about, much like anyone else not directly associated with the program. Coach Martin was very high on him coming into this past season, comparing him very much to Thornwell.

    I think we are set now on the roster for this coming season. Any more attrition will come from the player's end, and the staff probably won't anticipate it, so if it happens I doubt we'll have a back-up plan for filling the spot ready to go....

  3. #3
    1st Team All-SEC Wisercock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    4,530

    Default Re: 2019-2020 MBB roster

    I don't think anyone else will leave unless grades are an issue at the end of the semester. Frank has said Couisnard will play next year as a RS freshman. Moss looked good before he was injured. We will have to find a rim protector to replace Silva.

  4. #4
    1st Team All-SEC AmonRa777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    greenwood sc
    Posts
    4,412

    Default Re: 2019-2020 MBB roster

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    I don't think anyone else will leave unless grades are an issue at the end of the semester. Frank has said Couisnard will play next year as a RS freshman. Moss looked good before he was injured. We will have to find a rim protector to replace Silva.
    Absolutely! Everyone is excited about that e talent returning next season. But the best way s perimeter talent. Kotsar and Haase are not rim protector s. Frink is 6'6" while Leveque is a true freshman ! Unless Wildens is a phenom we're in trouble at the rim!

  5. #5
    1st Team All-SEC markymark550's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Irmo, SC
    Posts
    4,968

    Default Re: 2019-2020 MBB roster

    It may be coachspeak, but Frank has said that Leveque is more advanced defensively than Silva was before his freshman year. Part of that is because Silva was still relatively new to basketball. From the limited tape I've seen, Leveque looks to be pretty athletic and keeps the motor going, the same traits that Silva had. If he can adjust to college quickly, I think he can earn some playing time. It may take him some time to get there on offense, but I'd take rim protection and rebounding with any offense as an added bonus. I think we'll have enough guard play to not necessarily have to rely on post scoring.

    I don't know much about McCreary, but I think both he and Leveque have opportunities to play early. If Kotsar is the same player as last year, we're going to need someone to step up when it looks like he's lost all confidence.

  6. #6
    1st Team All-SEC Wisercock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    4,530

    Default Re: 2019-2020 MBB roster

    Quote Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
    It may be coachspeak, but Frank has said that Leveque is more advanced defensively than Silva was before his freshman year. Part of that is because Silva was still relatively new to basketball. From the limited tape I've seen, Leveque looks to be pretty athletic and keeps the motor going, the same traits that Silva had. If he can adjust to college quickly, I think he can earn some playing time. It may take him some time to get there on offense, but I'd take rim protection and rebounding with any offense as an added bonus. I think we'll have enough guard play to not necessarily have to rely on post scoring.

    I don't know much about McCreary, but I think both he and Leveque have opportunities to play early. If Kotsar is the same player as last year, we're going to need someone to step up when it looks like he's lost all confidence.
    I think it is a bad idea to place too much on a kid straight out of high school. But if he can get 10-12 minutes a game by next January that would be great.

  7. #7
    1st Team All-SEC Wisercock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    4,530

    Default Re: 2019-2020 MBB roster

    We have to avoid injuries next year. We had 3 players out a significant amount of time with injuries this year and 2 were hurt for a short time. We also had 1 not eligible this year. With only 13 scholarship players that meant we were playing with 8 guys a lot of the season.

    (Injuries: Cudd, Frink (early in the season), Minaya, Moss, Lawson (late in the season) and Couisnard not eligible.)

  8. #8
    1st Team All-SEC markymark550's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Irmo, SC
    Posts
    4,968

    Default Re: 2019-2020 MBB roster

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    I think it is a bad idea to place too much on a kid straight out of high school. But if he can get 10-12 minutes a game by next January that would be great.
    I'm not saying to run the offense through or have him anchor the defense. I just think that he and McCreary will have a great opportunity to earn minutes early in their career.

  9. #9
    2nd Team All-SEC GeoCocky66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Irmo
    Posts
    2,521

    Default Re: 2019-2020 MBB roster

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    We have to avoid injuries next year. We had 3 players out a significant amount of time with injuries this year and 2 were hurt for a short time. We also had 1 not eligible this year. With only 13 scholarship players that meant we were playing with 8 guys a lot of the season.

    (Injuries: Cudd, Frink (early in the season), Minaya, Moss, Lawson (late in the season) and Couisnard not eligible.)
    Actually, there were 2 ineligible, with Bolden sitting after transferring.

  10. #10
    1st Team All-SEC Wisercock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    4,530

    Default Re: 2019-2020 MBB roster

    Quote Originally Posted by GeoCocky66 View Post
    Actually, there were 2 ineligible, with Bolden sitting after transferring.
    Bolden was never counted on so his ineligibility was not a loss to the team.

  11. #11
    2nd Team All-SEC GeoCocky66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Irmo
    Posts
    2,521

    Default Re: 2019-2020 MBB roster

    Quote Originally Posted by GeoCocky66 View Post
    Actually, there were 2 ineligible, with Bolden sitting after transferring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    Bolden was never counted on so his ineligibility was not a loss to the team.
    Regardless, he occupied a scholarship line and thus affected the number of people that we had available, which was (I thought) the point of your post.
    Last edited by GeoCocky66; 04-08-2019 at 08:53 AM.

  12. #12
    Starter Spur20001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Greenwood, South Carolina
    Posts
    1,335

    Default Re: 2019-2020 MBB roster

    Quote Originally Posted by GeoCocky66 View Post
    Regardless, he occupied a scholarship line and thus affected the number of people that we had available, which was (I thought) the point of your post.
    Right you are. Being short 2 scholarship players all season plus all the injuries we had was a real killer.

  13. #13
    1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mt. Pleasant
    Posts
    12,363

    Default Re: 2019-2020 MBB roster

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    We have to avoid injuries next year. We had 3 players out a significant amount of time with injuries this year and 2 were hurt for a short time. We also had 1 not eligible this year. With only 13 scholarship players that meant we were playing with 8 guys a lot of the season.

    (Injuries: Cudd, Frink (early in the season), Minaya, Moss, Lawson (late in the season) and Couisnard not eligible.)
    Also, Silva missed time in preseason (shoulder, I think) that contributed to his slow start, plus Campbell missed the entire preseason. The last injury to Lawson knocked us out of the NIT and a longshot possibility for the NCAA - we would have need one more win for the NIT, three more for the NCAA.

    McCreary is a definite PF - as in Point Forward, not Power. Closer to 6' 6" than 6' 8", not a physical banger like Frink or a high riser like Bryant. But he handles it well, can shoot the 3 and get to the rim. The wings will be the strength of the team.

    I think the starting 5 will be Bolden, Lawson, Minaya, Bryant and Kotsar. I think that we will be pleasantly surprised with Couisnard, Hannibal, and Leveque -much deeper team than last year.

  14. #14
    Starter Spur20001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Greenwood, South Carolina
    Posts
    1,335

    Default Re: 2019-2020 MBB roster

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
    Also, Silva missed time in preseason (shoulder, I think) that contributed to his slow start, plus Campbell missed the entire preseason. The last injury to Lawson knocked us out of the NIT and a longshot possibility for the NCAA - we would have need one more win for the NIT, three more for the NCAA.

    McCreary is a definite PF - as in Point Forward, not Power. Closer to 6' 6" than 6' 8", not a physical banger like Frink or a high riser like Bryant. But he handles it well, can shoot the 3 and get to the rim. The wings will be the strength of the team.

    I think the starting 5 will be Bolden, Lawson, Minaya, Bryant and Kotsar. I think that we will be pleasantly surprised with Couisnard, Hannibal, and Leveque -much deeper team than last year.
    Frank said Leveque had better rebounding stats than Silva did in high school. I think he will give us some much needed help on the boards. Frank also said Frink was not healthy all season. Although he is only 6'6 I think he and Minaya will help us on the boards along with Bryant.

  15. #15
    1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mt. Pleasant
    Posts
    12,363

    Default Re: 2019-2020 MBB roster

    Quote Originally Posted by Spur20001 View Post
    Frank said Leveque had better rebounding stats than Silva did in high school. I think he will give us some much needed help on the boards. Frank also said Frink was not healthy all season. Although he is only 6'6 I think he and Minaya will help us on the boards along with Bryant.
    Frank said Leveque was further along defensively than Silva at the same stage. If we can get D and rebounds from him, we have others who can score. I agree on Frink - he is already a big guy, he just needs to get in better shape and get a little quicker

    I see Bryant playing Power Forward - a little undersized, but also quicker than guys that he will match up with. I expect him to be a much better shooter next year, FTs and mid range jumper. He hit a few threes last year and will take/make more next year. He will be a nightmare match-up - a guy that can put it on the floor and drive for the jam, or take the open three or mid-range shot. Impossible to defend a guy with his athleticism if he can improve his shot.

  16. #16
    1st Team All-SEC Wisercock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    4,530

    Default Re: 2019-2020 MBB roster

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
    Frank said Leveque was further along defensively than Silva at the same stage. If we can get D and rebounds from him, we have others who can score. I agree on Frink - he is already a big guy, he just needs to get in better shape and get a little quicker

    I see Bryant playing Power Forward - a little undersized, but also quicker than guys that he will match up with. I expect him to be a much better shooter next year, FTs and mid range jumper. He hit a few threes last year and will take/make more next year. He will be a nightmare match-up - a guy that can put it on the floor and drive for the jam, or take the open three or mid-range shot. Impossible to defend a guy with his athleticism if he can improve his shot.
    Bryant is NOT a power forward. He can post up smaller players but unless he puts on a lot of muscle his future is on the wing.

  17. #17
    1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mt. Pleasant
    Posts
    12,363

    Default Re: 2019-2020 MBB roster

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    Bryant is NOT a power forward. He can post up smaller players but unless he puts on a lot of muscle his future is on the wing.
    Bryant does not fit the mold of a traditional PF in terms of height/weight, but he absolutely can play the position, and play it well.

    He is a better rebounder and defender than Haase, who would be the other option. Haase is a better shooter from the perimeter, Bryant is the better scorer inside. Which one sounds like the wing and which one sounds like the PF?

    We may lose a little with Bryant defending really big PFs, but how are they going to defend Bryant, with his quickness and explosion? Heaven help opponents if he gets more consistent with his outside shot.

  18. #18
    The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Conway, SC
    Posts
    17,625

    Default Re: 2019-2020 MBB roster

    Unless Bryant develops into a consistent perimeter jump-shooter, then he'll forever be out-matched as a PF. Consider the Michael Carrera situation: Carrera was not a PF, but at least he had the world's longest wing-span and was a quick jumper, and could battle for rebounds. But he was definitely out of position his first 2 years at USC. Once he developed his jump shot ability, he was able to be more effective, but then also Kacinas developed more as a PF. Carrera's best years were at the end as a Wing or 3-spot.

    But IMO Bryant doesn't have as good of a physique or native skill-set to play the role of a rebounding PF. And I doubt he will physically develop into one - he's more of a SF than a PF. Frink is a better example of a PF-type player: he's around Bryant's height, but is some 70 lbs heavier. Frink probably would do to lose a little weight, but Bryant isn't going to put on weight like that, and probably should transfer out of the program if the staff asks him to.

    Otherwise, unless Bryant develops an outside perimeter jump-shot, he'll forever be driving to the basket against much bigger, taller players guarding him (because it's the only way he could score points), and having to defend against much bigger, taller players trying to score on him. He'll forever be out of position....

  19. #19
    1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mt. Pleasant
    Posts
    12,363

    Default Re: 2019-2020 MBB roster

    I know that Bryant does not have bulk, but don't confuse that with strength - he is wiry and will get stronger.

    Also, the trend is away from slower, bulkier players - look at Auburn as an example. They have a highly-rated true Center in 6' 11" Austin Wiley, but start 6' 8" Chuma Okeke (and may have won the title if he had not gotten hurt). Their PF is 6' 7" Anfernee McLemore, who is a virtual clone of Bryant in terms of size and skill set.

    Rather than go with a traditional PF, use a mobile guy that can play inside or out (like Okeke and McLemore) and give the other team a match-up nightmare.

    Conway, you mentioned Kacinas - he was 6'7", same height as Bryant, and not much bulkier - and not close in terms of elevation or wingspan. Bryant has wingspan like Carrera, but taller and with better hops.

    Put Bryant at PF - we have no one better for the position - leave the middle open and let him and Kotsar drive to the basket. And I believe you will see both improve their jump shots in the off-season.

  20. #20
    1st Team All-SEC Wisercock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    4,530

    Default Re: 2019-2020 MBB roster

    With so many players coming back I am having a hard time figuring out who will start. Seems like Lawson and Bryant have to start but where do you put Minaya? Kotsar disappeared last year at the end. He and Haase may end up as subs. Then there's Hannibal, Leveque, McCreary, Couisnard and Moss.

    There's potential there if they can rebound and find a rim protector.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •