Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020 MBB roster

Default Re: 2019-2020 MBB roster

The only locks to start in my opinion are Lawson, Minaya and Kotsar(yeah I mean it). I don't see Frank putting true Freshman in the post when he has already experience there. I do expect Wilden and McCreary to see about 10 minutes a game as the season progress. It wouldn't surprise me if Frink gets a start with a strong offseason. It will be interesting to see who Frank goes with considering there's a lot of players like Bolden, Couisnard and Moss who have a year of practice and conditioning with Frank but we don't know how effective they will be next season.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

My guess for starters would be
    PG - Bolden
    G/F - Lawson
    G/F - Minaya
    F - Bryant
    F/C - Kotsar

Certain matchups might be hard for Bryant at the 4, but with as dynamic as he is, you find a way to play him. I think Hannibal could be starting by conference play, but I think Frank will go with more experience to start the season.

Hasse opens up another slot. Like Cudd this is not a big loss. I look for Frank to bring in another player. He wants a full roster or either fill this SS with the announced walk-on.

Look for Frink to figure strongly in PT. He was not healthy all season and missed weeks of practice time. He can be a force for us on the boards and also scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur20001 View Post
    Look for Frink to figure strongly in PT. He was not healthy all season and missed weeks of practice time. He can be a force for us on the boards and also scoring.
    Agree with that. Frink rebounds better than most anyone else we have coming back. His defense was a liability but should improve in the off-season if he stays healthy. He's not a replacement for Silva but he and Kotsar should be able to manage the inside game until Leveque and McCreary get some experience. I see Minaya playing inside some too even at 6'5". But that only leaves 2 spots and doesn't include Lawson and Bryant. I can't see either one of them sitting. So maybe Frink doesn't start and Bryant and Minaya share some PT in the post. (although Bryant is more effective on the wing opposite Lawson) Then you've got to figure out who plays PG. Bolden will get a shot at it but it would not surprise me to see Hannibal start the first game.

As the bad taste from last season slowly disappears I find myself looking forward to basketball season.

Frank Martin needs to offer Kerry Blackshear of Va Tech whatever he wants! Just get him here!

Frink has the athletic ability to be a very successful college player. I'm waiting for the game to slow down for him. You can tell he looked lost or like he was thinking too hard on the court.
    My Gamecock Record: (25-17)

1st Team All-American Cockhornleghorn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by USCMM View Post
    Frink has the athletic ability to be a very successful college player. I'm waiting for the game to slow down for him. You can tell he looked lost or like he was thinking too hard on the court.
    I think the only problem with Frink was lack of practice and playing time due to injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
    I think the only problem with Frink was lack of practice and playing time due to injuries.
    Agree. If healthy I think he will impress many people and he will rebound much better than most 6'6 players.

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

McCreary is not an inside player. He is a Point Forward/Wing. His 6'6"/6'7" and slender, and his strength is ballhandling and shooting.

Kotsar and Levegue will play Center, Frink and Bryant will be the Power Forwards. Frank will find a sleeper big man or transfer to provide a little more inside help.

Need a guy at least 6'8 that can contribute immediately next year no projects..

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
    McCreary is not an inside player. He is a Point Forward/Wing. His 6'6"/6'7" and slender, and his strength is ballhandling and shooting.

Kotsar and Levegue will play Center, Frink and Bryant will be the Power Forwards. Frank will find a sleeper big man or transfer to provide a little more inside help.
    At 265, Frink is an inside player (post) but Bryant (at 190) is not. He will only occasionally post up smaller guards. He can provide some help with rebounding but putting him the post will limit his effectiveness from the perimeter. McCreary is listed as a power forward. (210) He is athletic, but he is not nearly as mobile as Bryant. He is better suited to play inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    At 265, Frink is an inside player (post) but Bryant (at 190) is not. He will only occasionally post up smaller guards. He can provide some help with rebounding but putting him the post will limit his effectiveness from the perimeter. McCreary is listed as a power forward. (210) He is athletic, but he is not nearly as mobile as Bryant. He is better suited to play inside.
    Frink will be lighter - he was never fully got into shape this season due to his preseason injury - and Bryant will be stronger an therefore a little heavier. At 6'7" and with quickness and leaping ability, Bryant can play PF. The trend is towards quicker, more athletic PFs and Bryant fits the mold. He just needs more consistency with his outside shot - if he can hit at a higher rate to open up the drives to the basket, he is indefensible.

I looked at McCreary's Senior tape - it looks like he grew a little from his Junior year and got stronger. Still, he is a PF like Bryant is a PF - similar size and very mobile, with the ability to put the ball on the floor and get to the basket.

Our wings will be our strength - Lawson, Minaya, Couisnard, Hannibal, Anderson. We need Bryant to help inside.

I just don't want to ruin Keyshawn's athleticism by making him gain weight and excessive muscle. I still remember when Bill Foster's staff ruined Harold Martin that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
    I just don't want to ruin Keyshawn's athleticism by making him gain weight and excessive muscle. I still remember when Bill Foster's staff ruined Harold Martin that way.
    ^^Points.

I am not advocating a massive weight gain program - I am talking about the natural progression that comes as a player get older, eats the right foods and hits the weight room. Bryant will put on 10-20 pounds easily, and will be even more athletic if it is good weight.

A few pounds would make him better able to defend and rebound inside, and he will be one of the tougher match-ups for opposing PFs with his explosion and quickness. Add a better outside shot and he won't be stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
    I am not advocating a massive weight gain program - I am talking about the natural progression that comes as a player get older, eats the right foods and hits the weight room. Bryant will put on 10-20 pounds easily, and will be even more athletic if it is good weight.

A few pounds would make him better able to defend and rebound inside, and he will be one of the tougher match-ups for opposing PFs with his explosion and quickness. Add a better outside shot and he won't be stopped.
    Ace please stop it! Keyshawn Bryant is not and cannot be a power forward! Now we might play 4 out and 1_ in most of the time. But Bryant is not a 4!

Quote Originally Posted by AmonRa777 View Post
    Ace please stop it! Keyshawn Bryant is not and cannot be a power forward! Now we might play 4 out and 1_ in most of the time. But Bryant is not a 4!
    I am not saying he is a tall, heavy guy that will pound inside. I am saying that he is - or can be with a little weight room work - strong enough, and he also has the height and leaping ability.

The game is changing, and big men - Centers and PFs - have to be more mobile. They have to be able to switch off on Guards and defend the perimeter. Shooting the 3 is a plus as well.

Bottom line, Bryant would be an improvement on the traditional PF. Again, he is similar in size and skill set to Okeke and McLemore, who played PF and Center for Auburn. Aubie enjoyed a match-up nightmare with those two - they may very well have won the national championship if Okeke had not got hurt.

pg - bolden (cuisnard, Hannibal, moss)
    sg - lawson (minaya, nelson)
    sf - bryant (mcleary, anderson
    pf - henry (leveque, frink
    c - kotsar

Minaya will start in place of Bryant. Frank wants Justin on the floor. It is *possible* Justin could start at the 4 and Keyshawn at the 3, though I expect Maik at the 5, Alanzo at the 4, Minaya at the 3, Lawson at the 2 and Moss at the 1. Some of the freshmen could shake things up at some point.