Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020 MBB roster

Default Re: 2019-2020 MBB roster

Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    How can we take Seventh Woods? Would he pay his own way while he sits out a year?
    Unless someone else leaves he would have to pay his own way this next school year.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur20001 View Post
    Unless someone else leaves he would have to pay his own way this next school year.
    And it shall be done.

PGs: Bolden, Hannibal, and Moss
    2Gs: Couisnard and Lawson (I think Bolden will end up playing more 2G)
    SG/SF: Bryant, Minaya and Anderson
    PF: Henry, Frink and McCreary
    C: Kotsar, Leveque and Henry

Lots of interchangeable parts here. The only thing that I see is a weakness at the low post. A lot depends on Henry and Leveque there because Kotsar's game deserted him at the end of last year.
    Last edited by Wisercock; 06-10-2019 at 03:51 PM.

And it shall be done.

PGs: Bolden, Hannibal, and Moss
    2Gs: Couisnard and Lawson (I think Bolden will end up playing more 2G)
    SG/SF: Bryant, Minaya and Anderson
    PF: Henry and Frink
    C: Kotsar, Leveque and Henry

Lots of interchangeable parts here. The only thing that I see is a weakness at the low post. A lot depends on Henry and Leveque there because Kotsar's game deserted him at the end of last year.
    You should be booted from the discussion for omitting McCreary!

Quote Originally Posted by AmonRa777 View Post
    You should be booted from the discussion for omitting McCreary!
    Thanks for pointing that out. I almost left out Minaya too, but I went back and edited my post. McCleary will be a good addition to our inside game. He's not exceptionally tall (6'7") but I honestly don't think you have to be 6'10" these days. The game has changed.

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

Thanks for pointing that out. I almost left out Minaya too, but I went back and edited my post. McCleary will be a good addition to our inside game. He's not exceptionally tall (6'7") but I honestly don't think you have to be 6'10" these days. The game has changed.
    I took a look at his Junior year highlights and was quick to point out that he was more of a PF (Point Forward) than a true Power Forward, and he did not look taller than 6' 7" - if that. But I went back and looked at his Senior highlights, and I came back and admitted that I was wrong. He was taller, stronger, and effective inside. He is 6'8 - 6'9", solid in size, and moves very well. I think he will be very good and can definitely help inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
    I took a look at his Junior year highlights and was quick to point out that he was more of a PF (Point Forward) than a true Power Forward, and he did not look taller than 6' 7" - if that. But I went back and looked at his Senior highlights, and I came back and admitted that I was wrong. He was taller, stronger, and effective inside. He is 6'8 - 6'9", solid in size, and moves very well. I think he will be very good and can definitely help inside.
    People close to the program are really impressed with Couisinard and Bolden. Unless injured Bolden will start at point. It's also being said Couisinard can flat light it up. If he plays defense, he will earn a starting spot.

People close to the program are really impressed with Couisinard and Bolden. Unless injured Bolden will start at point. It's also being said Couisinard can flat light it up. If he plays defense, he will earn a starting spot.
    Amon, I agree 100% on Bolden. He is a true PG with good size, assist leader and #2 scorer as a Sophomore at a good mid-major. We manhandled GW last year, but would have had a tougher time if Bolden (top returning scorer) was in their line-up.

Martin is high on Couisnard and has gone as far as comparing him to Sin. Couisnard is more of a perimeter guy than Thornwell - he is an inch shorter - but he is strong, and can shoot from the 3 or drive to the basket and score in traffic. Like Sin.

With Minaya and Lawson, this will be a VERY good team on the perimeter. And do not lose sight of Hannibal - he is an explosive, athletic scorer. I just do not know if he is a true PG or more of a #2 that can bring instant offense. We will find out soon enough.

Amon, I agree 100% on Bolden. He is a true PG with good size, assist leader and #2 scorer as a Sophomore at a good mid-major. We manhandled GW last year, but would have had a tougher time if Bolden (top returning scorer) was in their line-up.

Martin is high on Couisnard and has gone as far as comparing him to Sin. Couisnard is more of a perimeter guy than Thornwell - he is an inch shorter - but he is strong, and can shoot from the 3 or drive to the basket and score in traffic. Like Sin.

With Minaya and Lawson, this will be a VERY good team on the perimeter. And do not lose sight of Hannibal - he is an explosive, athletic scorer. I just do not know if he is a true PG or more of a #2 that can bring instant offense. We will find out soon enough.
    There are 4 guys that I definitely want to check out next season that I have not seen play in a game for SC: Hannibal, Couisnard, Bolden and Henry. A healthy TJ Moss and Alonzo Frink will give us even more depth and flexibility.

I don't want to get ahead of things here because this team will have some weaknesses. The key will be whether we can exploit our strengths and minimize the weaknesses. It may be that Kotsar has a great senior season or that Henry, Leveque, Frink and McCreary can handle the post.

It will be fun to watch all this develop next year.

I don't think we will see any losses to the likes of Stoney Brook or Wyoming next season.

Post play is my concern. If we play well in the post we are in very good shape.

Great point. Most of us a very concerned about quality post play. Henry should be a big help. But there are a lot of questions. How many minutes can Leveque give us? How much will Frink improve? How big and physical can McCreary play? Will Kotsar finally man up and bring it every night?

Great point. Most of us a very concerned about quality post play. Henry should be a big help. But there are a lot of questions. How many minutes can Leveque give us? How much will Frink improve? How big and physical can McCreary play? Will Kotsar finally man up and bring it every night?
    The good thing is weíre long though, we donít have many post players who can play back to the basket but we have a ton of guys who can drive into the paint. Iím not worried about rebounding more or less post defense and free throw shooting from Kotsar, Bryant and Henry. I think our team will be similar to Avery Johnsonís Bama teams where multiple players can play and guard multiple positions. I am very excited about this team especially if Kotsar and Henry can elevate their game.

I wouldn’t trust Frank’s early evaluations on all the freshman though, Frank really liked David Beatty and he was just too slow and couldn’t shoot

Quote Originally Posted by AndersonCock View Post
    I wouldn’t trust Frank’s early evaluations on all the freshman though, Frank really liked David Beatty and he was just too slow and couldn’t shoot
    Beatty was highly rated and was not slow - he actually was athletic, although a little shorter than advertised. His issue was lack of work ethic - technique makes a difference in shooting, but most of shooting is simply spending the time in the gym. Beatty did not make the effort, which is why he was encouraged to look elsewhere.

Frank actually got on Couisnard about his shooting, which I took as a good thing. Couisnard was not working as hard as he should, maybe because of frustration over not getting cleared, so Frank lit him up.

The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndersonCock View Post
    I wouldnít trust Frankís early evaluations on all the freshman though, Frank really liked David Beatty and he was just too slow and couldnít shoot
    I dunno - Beatty started 12 games last season for La Salle, averaging around 8 ppg. Probably his best college game yet was against a ranked Villanova, where he had 12 pts, 7 rebounds, and 6 assists. Also scored 15 pts against Duquesne and St. Joseph's (shot 4 for 4 from the 3 in that one). He will be one of their better players next season, with a full season under his belt.....

Quote Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
    I dunno - Beatty started 12 games last season for La Salle, averaging around 8 ppg. Probably his best college game yet was against a ranked Villanova, where he had 12 pts, 7 rebounds, and 6 assists. Also scored 15 pts against Duquesne and St. Joseph's (shot 4 for 4 from the 3 in that one). He will be one of their better players next season, with a full season under his belt.....
    Agreed, I thought Beatty was a good player who just needed more time to adapt to the college game. Unfortunately he was just too impatient to trust the process here.

Outside of the uncertainty of our post play, I think one our biggest issues next season is how well everyone takes having possible limited minutes. There's so many guards that it's unlikely everyone gets to play decent minutes and someone like Bryant could find themselves with much less minutes than this past season.

Quote Originally Posted by GAMEKEM View Post
    Outside of the uncertainty of our post play, I think one our biggest issues next season is how well everyone takes having possible limited minutes. There's so many guards that it's unlikely everyone gets to play decent minutes and someone like Bryant could find themselves with much less minutes than this past season.
    I see just the opposite! We won't have guys playing too many minutes. They won't get worn down as the season progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by GAMEKEM View Post
    That is why I see us playing a smaller line-up with Bryant and McCreary as Power Forwards. Use your strength and create more PT got the Guards and Wings, sorta like Auburn last year. We might give up something inside, but other teams will be at a disadvantage with our quickness and depth.

That is what I wanted the Ladies to do more last year - use their depth and quickness to press, go uptempo and wear down their opponents. Relying on the inside game against teams like UCONN and Mississippi State was a non-starter.

I agree. We lost a 4 year guy who is probably the best big man to play at SC in 30 years. We can make up for it to some extent on offense with our perimeter play and driving to the basket, but in the end we have to have someone to rebound and play defense in the paint.

That is why I see us playing a smaller line-up with Bryant and McCreary as Power Forwards. Use your strength and create more PT got the Guards and Wings, sorta like Auburn last year. We might give up something inside, but other teams will be at a disadvantage with our quickness and depth.

That is what I wanted the Ladies to do more last year - use their depth and quickness to press, go uptempo and wear down their opponents. Relying on the inside game against teams like UCONN and Mississippi State was a non-starter.
    I can see a spread/weave offense to take advantage of matchups, but I say NO to Bryant playing the post unless he is posting up a smaller guard or forward.