Thread: Hey Pit Masters & Great Chefs - What Y'all Been Cooking?

Cool Hey Pit Masters & Great Chefs - What Y'all Been Cooking?

Since our board has been down for awhile now and we have not had a chance to express or tell about all the great things we have been cooking, I was just wondering what everyone has been up to on the grill/smoker/stove since our site went down?

I have been doing just about everything but a Brisket on my new RECTEC Pellet Smoker. Still use my Black Egg for steaks/hamburgers, but the RT-700 Bull is the "REAL DEAL" and everything that I have made has turned out great. What say the Gamecock Grilling/Cooking Nation?

Default Re: Hey Pit Masters & Great Chefs - What Y'all Been Cooking?

Pork belly from Costco is habit forming

Yancey has been on a diet????

Not a whole hell of a lot. I had to store my smoker away before leaving for Kuwait in 2017. Before I stored it away, I noticed it was depositing soot all over my food. I made a note to look into it once I returned. I finally got around to digging that sucker out of storage a few weeks ago and cleaning it. After taking apart the bottom piece where the burner was, I discovered a little spider web up in one of the tubes. I managed to get most of it out with a brush. The flame is certainly looking a lot better now. I'll probably take it apart again to make sure it's completely debris free before firing it back up.

Once I am up and running, I want to test a new method for wings. In the past I have tried double frying them. That process involves frying the wings at a low temperature until the meat is fully cooked, removing the wings, then tossing them back into a much hotter oil for crisping the skins. They turned out to be some of the best wings I've ever had. So next I want to try smoking the wings first and then tossing them into my air fryer to crisp the skin.
    ----------------------------------------------

Until I got me the RECTEC Bull - I was not a big fan of smoked wings. Now, after making them a few times this way on the Bull - I will have to say that I love them. Still like to go to Rock Hill, SC and visit the Wing King or Wing Bonz over by Winthrop University as they have some great fried wings and you can get them in about 25 different flavors.

Good luck with your smoker and "Thanks For Your Service".

I did two briskets a month ago and some baby backs last week, along with a little salmon. Next up for me will be a couple of pork butts, probably in two weeks. My salmon test came out so good that I'm going to do a smoker session just with salmon instead of combining it with another cook.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Pork belly from Costco is habit forming
    On my to-do list!

Been caught moddin' Spur's Addiction's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SC Sandlapper View Post
    I did two briskets a month ago and some baby backs last week, along with a little salmon. Next up for me will be a couple of pork butts, probably in two weeks. My salmon test came out so good that I'm going to do a smoker session just with salmon instead of combining it with another cook.
    How do you do the Salmon on the smoker? I would like to try that soon.