Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnatti targets Frank Martin

1st Team All-American Blitzkrieg's Avatar

Default Cincinnatti targets Frank Martin

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...in/3441931002/

All of you anti Frank fans may get your wish.
    Veterans: All gave some, some gave all.

If C2 doesn't trust you.. CoverTwo's Avatar

Default Re: Cincinnatti targets Frank Martin

He would have to take a pay cut and Tanner would have to be flexible on the buyout. I can’t see this happening. Cincy could’ve kept Cronin with the money they would pay to get Frank.
    Follow me on Twitter! @Ch4ncey

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan

Too high of a buyout

I don't think Martin left Kansas State to come to South Carolina and build his program here, just to leave for Cincinatti.

Buckle up, BOOM Comin' SCohioBoy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
    He would have to take a pay cut and Tanner would have to be flexible on the buyout. I can’t see this happening. Cincy could’ve kept Cronin with the money they would pay to get Frank.
    Cincinnati was ready to move on from Cronin. They just offered him an extension with a pay cut.
    "We played the State Championship in a place called Death Valley," he said. "I looked up in the fourth quarter and the only ones still alive were the Gamecocks."--SOS

If C2 doesn't trust you.. CoverTwo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flips View Post
    I don't think Martin left Kansas State to come to South Carolina and build his program here, just to leave for Cincinatti.
    TBS had an interesting article not too long about about that. Martin actually came to USC thinking he wasn't going to stay here very long. Just grew fond of Columbia which is why he has stayed.
    Follow me on Twitter! @Ch4ncey

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan

There’s another category of fans when it comes to Frank, and I think it’s a sizable majority: the indifferent.

"The secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are undecided."
    -
    Casey Stengel

Buckle up, BOOM Comin' SCohioBoy's Avatar

Frank just released a statement saying he is staying
    "We played the State Championship in a place called Death Valley," he said. "I looked up in the fourth quarter and the only ones still alive were the Gamecocks."--SOS

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
    Frank just released a statement saying he is staying
    I may be in the minority, but that makes me very happy. He has a wonderful talent influx between the four Freshmen and getting four other players eligible/injury-free (Couisnard, Bolden, Moss, Minaya). I understand the complaints about recruiting in-state talent, but Frank's coaching has never been in question, and now he has a lot more talent to work with.

Should be fun for the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
    I may be in the minority, but that makes me very happy. He has a wonderful talent influx between the four Freshmen and getting four other players eligible/injury-free (Couisnard, Bolden, Moss, Minaya). I understand the complaints about recruiting in-state talent, but Frank's coaching has never been in question, and now he has a lot more talent to work with.

Should be fun for the next few years.
    You can add me to that minority as well, then. Next year's squad should be quite competitive, given what we have returning, and given what is happening with graduations and departures for the NBA for many of the other SEC teams. With the team members we have, I anticipate that we'll be a fast-paced offense. We'll likely have a 3 guard lineup, with strong play from forwards (and/or guards who are tall enough to play at that spot as well) and likely very little input from the bigs we have left.

Unless Kotsar makes a HUGE turnaround in the offseason (which he, honestly, could do if he works at it), his PT will decline in his Senior year. Haase will have to continue to shoot at a really high clip from behind the arc for him to stay in active rotation (his defense simply won't cut muster, with the body of work he's displayed so far). Leveque is a bit of a wild card at this point. I don't anticipate him being Chris Silva immediately into his Freshman campaign, so we'll have to see how much court time he sees.

In essence, Frank Martin has assembled a team that should be VERY fun to watch... a defense-first oriented, but very fast paced offensive squad. If we can get ANYWHERE close to the defensive efforts from Cousinard, Bolden, Moss, Minaya, Lawson, Bryant and Frink that we saw from our guys who took the Gamecocks to the final four (remember, that team had "green" players in Silva, Gravett, and Kotsar, as well as the better known stars of the year), we'll be a team to watch on the national scene.

Don't be surprised to see the "experts" picking us near the bottom of the barrel again, with the loss of Silva. But I think Frank Martin has a top 4 in the SEC squad yet again. As you note... "should be fun for the next few years."

One quick side note, related to a point above, that I didn't get to talk about since Cockytalk was down when we neared the end of the year.... Kotsar's woes, shooting-wise, were because of bad form. I watched him closely in a number of later games and noticed that he was dropping his elbow on his shooting hand as he went into motion from the FT line. It made his shots look more like line-drives at the basket, rather than an arching shot as he had done so well with earlier in the year. THAT change made him lose confidence in his shot all around, and his shooting from from the field started looking bad as well (he was pulling shots to the right when shooting from the right side of the floor). If Frank, or the other coaches work with Kotsar on that issue (watching his elbow, keeping it high while at the FT line, and then keeping it in when shooting from the field), I think he can have a pretty major impact next year. But I'm not holding out high hopes that Kotsar will do what needs to be done to get back in good form, unfortunately.
    “What draws people to be friends is that they see the same truth. They share it.”
    ― C.S. Lewis

The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar

I think that no matter what improvements Kotsar makes in the off-season, that the minute he has a game(s) where he struggles, his confidence will turbo-rocket off a cliff straight down, and it will stay there. He is just too broken at this stage of his career as a player, offensive-wise....

Add me to the minority that is glad he is staying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
    Add me to that list - Glad he is staying and feel he has some good years ahead....

Agree about Kotsar. It happens sometimes with guys that know their playing days are about over. There's no incentive for him to improve except personal pride. Maybe during the off-season he will do some soul-searching.

I would rather give Frank 2 more years to do something with the players he has brought in than bring in a new coach at this stage - so I'm glad he is staying. I'm not as optimistic as some about next year, but we could win 18 - 20 games. It is the year after when things should really come together. If they don't then I think Frank will retire on his own.

We can make up for the loss of Silva by tough perimeter defense. You sometimes give up the easy shot (and no Silva to block the shot) but with 3 or 4 guards in the game including Lawson and Bryant on the wings we could be tough to score against.

It is good to be the "FRANK".
    I Scream
    You Scream
    The Police Come
    Its Awkward

Who would we even try to hire if he left?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
    You can add me to the glad he is staying camp as well. Frank Martin is exactly the man Carolina basketball needs. I hope he retires a Carolina Gamecock.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker View Post
    Who would we even try to hire if he left?
    There are a lot of possible candidates out there, but it is a little late to be looking. Glad the issue is moot. I don't trust Ray Tanner to make that decision.

As I said earlier, I'm glad to have Frank Martin returning. I have always been a fan of his, and continue to be one.

Just for grins, though, here are a few names I would chase after if I was the Athletics Director at USC, and needed to find a replacement for Coach Martin.

1.) Travis Ford (St. Louis University) - 49 years old. Ford is a proven winner with stops at Ok. State, and UMass - both tough places to recruit and to win.
    2.) Richard Pitino (Minnesota) - 36 years old. Pitino, on the other hand, is very young and only has one HC job on his resume. However, he's served under some impressive names, and he's been an assistant Coach at College of Charleston, so he at least knows South Carolina. He's also recruited a great deal in this region of the country. And yes... he has the pedigree of the Pitino name.
    3.) Steve Wojciechowski (Marquette) - 42 years old. Wojo is a guy I REALLY like. He's got the benefit of being a Duke guy, so he knows the Carolinas well. He's done a great job recruiting at Marquette and he's kept them at the top of the heap for a number of years now with two NCAA First Round appearances.
    4.) Matt McMahon (Murray State) - 40 years old. More of an "under the radar" name, but has served under Steve Prohm and Buzz Peterson as an assistant, before taking the HC job at Murray State. Since being at Murray St., he's finished with no less than a .500 conference record, and has taken the team to the NCAAs two years in a row. The guy can recruit and can coach. Oh yeah... he also convinced a kid named Ja Morant to come play for him. That didn't work out very well for him, did it?
    5.) Randy Bennett (St. Mary's) - 56 years old. Randy's age doesn't help him on my list, BUT... he's got the Gaels playing some amazing ball. They are actually competitive every year with Gonzaga, who absolutely dominates the WCC. In the last 12 years, the Gaels have not missed a chance to be in either the NCAAs or the NIT tourney. He's a winner, no question.
    “What draws people to be friends is that they see the same truth. They share it.”
    ― C.S. Lewis

1st Team All-American Blitzkrieg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doublea1971 View Post
    As I said earlier, I'm glad to have Frank Martin returning. I have always been a fan of his, and continue to be one.

Just for grins, though, here are a few names I would chase after if I was the Athletics Director at USC, and needed to find a replacement for Coach Martin.

1.) Travis Ford (St. Louis University) - 49 years old. Ford is a proven winner with stops at Ok. State, and UMass - both tough places to recruit and to win.
    2.) Richard Pitino (Minnesota) - 36 years old. Pitino, on the other hand, is very young and only has one HC job on his resume. However, he's served under some impressive names, and he's been an assistant Coach at College of Charleston, so he at least knows South Carolina. He's also recruited a great deal in this region of the country. And yes... he has the pedigree of the Pitino name.
    3.) Steve Wojciechowski (Marquette) - 42 years old. Wojo is a guy I REALLY like. He's got the benefit of being a Duke guy, so he knows the Carolinas well. He's done a great job recruiting at Marquette and he's kept them at the top of the heap for a number of years now with two NCAA First Round appearances.
    4.) Matt McMahon (Murray State) - 40 years old. More of an "under the radar" name, but has served under Steve Prohm and Buzz Peterson as an assistant, before taking the HC job at Murray State. Since being at Murray St., he's finished with no less than a .500 conference record, and has taken the team to the NCAAs two years in a row. The guy can recruit and can coach. Oh yeah... he also convinced a kid named Ja Morant to come play for him. That didn't work out very well for him, did it?
    5.) Randy Bennett (St. Mary's) - 56 years old. Randy's age doesn't help him on my list, BUT... he's got the Gaels playing some amazing ball. They are actually competitive every year with Gonzaga, who absolutely dominates the WCC. In the last 12 years, the Gaels have not missed a chance to be in either the NCAAs or the NIT tourney. He's a winner, no question.
    That's a good list, well done.
    Veterans: All gave some, some gave all.