Thread: USC FOOTBALL COACHES

Default USC FOOTBALL COACHES

Since Coach Muschamp has updated his staff and hired a couple of new guys and moved one coach around to a different position, what does the Gamecock Nation think about the hiring of these new coaches and the move by Coach Bentley to Tight Ends Coach?

Personally, I think it is an upgrade to all positions and also for Coach Bentley. Our running backs were/are still kind of behind the rest of the division and hopefully Coach Brown will improve this situation. Coach Scott has got to be an improvement for our D-Lineman as Coach Thompson wanted out and our D-Line were suffering for it. I also think that Coach Bentley is the type of coach that can pretty much coach wherever you put him or wherever the team needs him.

What say you?

Default Re: USC FOOTBALL COACHES

I think hiring Brown as a RB coach and moving B. Bently over to TE Coach was a good move. The
    jury is still out on how much that will improve the team / offense until after several games have
    been played this season. Can't tell how successful it will be based on the Spring game alone.
    Me personally, I'm not thrilled about Scott as the new D/Line Coach. The guy has a below average
    track record every where he's coached and didn't stay at one certain program long enough to
    "mesh" with the teams. I could be 100% wrong about my opinion on Scott. I was way too skeptical
    of the move to put McClendon in the OC job instead of going out and hiring a known commodity
    with a proven record of success. Mac has turned out to be a solid hire there with what he's had
    to work with. I hope I can say the same thing about Scott a couple of years from now. .. I'm
    not feeling that hire at all though.
    Last edited by Spurticus; 04-29-2019 at 07:15 AM.

They seem like decent moves, but who knows. I think there are questions with Scott, but maybe his past stops just weren't good fits for him? He seems knowledgeable, so hopefully it all translates to more wins. I agree that Bentley is a guy that could coach just about anything. I'm glad he is willing to do so as well.

Ask me in November. People get too excited about these "hype" videos the marketing department puts out, and the sample size right now is too small.
    I'm only here for the reputation points.

IMO, moving Bentley to TE coach is the easiest way for him to transition out of the program (see JB graduating) and it not have lasting impacts. I think that was a smart and calculated move made for the future. Brown will be an improvement. Scott as D-Line coach is a toss up, hard to love it or hate it.
    "The ACC: it just means .... less."

-GeoCocky66

1st Team All-American Cockypantherfan's Avatar

Need coach Brown to reel in some studs at RB.

Heisman Candidate carolina_corpsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
    Ask me in November. People get too excited about these "hype" videos the marketing department puts out, and the sample size right now is too small.
    That video of Coach Brown mic'ed up at practice had me wanting to put on the pads and hit somebody!

Quote Originally Posted by Nureye View Post

Yeah they do. Of course it works the other way too. One loss or squeaking by a clearly inferior team, and this place goes into a complete meltdown.
    ----------------------------------------------

Hope the new coaches make a difference, but until the cause for the 28-0 debacle is addresses, who knows?

I listened to Tony Barnhart - filling in for Paul Finebaum yesterday and Tony had a guest named Mark Schloab (ESPN COLLEGE FOOTBALL GUY - MISSPELLED HIS NAME) and Mark stated that Coach Muschamp has done a good job of fixing things at USC, but he also stated that we have got beaten to death on both sides of the football and this year should show improvement in that area. Nether one spoke about all the injuries on our defense last year - like they do with other teams, but that's OK as we need to earn some respect on the field to garner the same press that other SEC Teams get for injuries. Hopefully our D-Line and O-Line will both be much improved and the injury bug will move to Athens, GA and live next season there???

Quote Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
    Hope the new coaches make a difference, but until the cause for the 28-0 debacle is addresses, who knows?
    The cause?

Half of the the team was out injured. The guys who were playing were dinged up and/or inexperienced.

No sense in trying to read too much into it.

Quote Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
    The cause?

Half of the the team was out injured. The guys who were playing were dinged up and/or inexperienced.

Sounds like you're comfortable with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
    Sounds like you're comfortable with that.
    Well, I am...because it’s true.

Along with several true Freshmen playing in the DBackfield we had a RB playing DB.

Our LB depth was decimated to the point we had a guy play in the Bowl who actually should’ve skipped it to preserve his redshirt.

Our DLine was down several guys due to injury.

We had injuries limiting our depth at RB.

Our best playmaker on offense made the correct decision to sit out the game.

Our OL wasn’t healthy.

What answers are you looking for? It’s all right in front of you.

Well, I am...because itís true.

Along with several true Freshmen playing in the DBackfield we had a RB playing DB.

Our LB depth was decimated to the point we had a guy play in the Bowl who actually shouldíve skipped it to preserve his redshirt.

Our DLine was down several guys due to injury.

We had injuries limiting our depth at RB.

Our best playmaker on offense made the correct decision to sit out the game.

Our OL wasnít healthy.

What answers are you looking for? Itís all right in front of you.

I think our O-Line Coach Wolford is an outstanding coach and recruiter.

I also like Coach T-Rob and thinks he gets better each year.

I think our two new coaches are going to be solid picks as both of them are great teachers and motivators. I also hope that they can recruit well in their assigned areas.

The bottom line is that it all stars with Coach Will Muschamp and I think that this is going to be his best team yet at USC. We might not show it in the win/losses column - but our schedule is very tough and our team could actually be better and not win as many games as our fan base wants us too. If injuries moved to another campus this year, I think we will be the surprise team in the East Div of the SEC.

The cause?

i know I’m in the minority, because everyone feels practice should be played like games. But I do think there’s a reason the injury bug has followed muschamp everywhere he’s been. Body can only take so much before it starts to show up. I don’t think it’s just freak injuries. It’s cumulative. I’ve noticed he always underestimated many j juries as well and just says “he shouldn’t be out long, just a this or a that. Minor setback” and maybe that’s a way to protect a players draft stock or keep their spirits up I don’t know, but it’s clear that either Zack bailey wasn’t as good as advertised or his injury was worse than it was led to believe. That or scouts just completely missed on him.

also just made me think. Remember how spurrier use to beat muschamp at Florida? Mobile QBs and or running the ball down their throat. Sounds familiar to now.. I believe we once beat Florida when Shaw had like 7 total attempts lol. See Kentucky/Virginia for the mobile QBs and UGA/Florida for the run it down our throats examples. The other losses were clemson and a&m, but 4 of the 6 losses were lost in the same fashion muschamp always loses games. When do you progres? Maybe that’s just strategic football to play off a coaches weaknesses. He’s losing games the same way, except he was losing with better players before. It appears the same things follow wherever he goes,

but one thing is for certain.. defense, mobile QB and a run game will win you a lot of ball game and this team has 0/3. Instead it’s no defense, who throws more than they run the ball, and can’t stay healthy. I feel sometimes like we take the Ole Miss approach to winning. A high octane RPO offense that looks futuristic but can’t run the ball or assert their will against an opposing d line, and worry about defense when you get good athletes..
    Last edited by SC Gamecock; 04-29-2019 at 05:41 AM.

It’s bullshit to act like the injury bug is anything more than coincidence.

if you want an example of a coach who actually carries the injury bug with him wherever he goes, look no further than Urban Meyer. If you want an example of a coach who recruits players with terrible behavioral problems and in trouble with the law, look no further than Urban Meyer. The guy is notorious for pushing his players to the point of their muscles literally exploding, bones breaking, decimating limbs. Not only that but he recruits thugs and serial killers.

Will Muschamp is the type of coach who forms true bonds with his players. He really cares for his players health and prospects on life over anything else. Jeff Dillman is in the same vein. They’re hard working guys who take great care of their players.

muschamp had a single extremely unlucky season at Florida in which he lost 16 players on the three deep. He had an even unluckier season last year losing 19 players on the three deep, yet he still pulled out a winning season. But at the end of the day, it’s coincidence. Kids were hurt getting landed on funny in game or getting stepped on by the other team. Muschamp can’t control that.
    Do ya thing