Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Finalist named for President Pastides replacement

Default Re: Finalist named for President Pastides replacement

Quote Originally Posted by SwampFox View Post
    Then make a copy of the page in my link, and take it up with the school.
    I don't need to take it up with the USMA; they know that they're not a research university. In fact, everyone not named"swampfox" understands that. It's not an insult; that's just not part of their stated mission, which is "to educate, train, and inspire the Corps of Cadets so that each graduate is a commissioned leader of character committed to the values of Duty, Honor, Country and prepared for a career of professional excellence and service to the Nation as an officer in the United States Army."

1st Team All-American Roosterboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
    There are a number of things people take issue with. One, some of the students and faculty don't like him politically, the second, perhaps more valid complaint is his lack of experience running a research university and the fact that he doesn't have a Ph.D. Then there is the whole debacle of naming finalists, then the gov. getting involved etc.

The BOT totally flubbed this one, after releasing a top four, then caving in, no matter who they selected there was going be an unhappy crowd. If they had just kept their mouths shut and announced their next president, I think more people would have been more supportive, regardless of the choice they made.
    This concisely covers it.

And for those saying students don't like him because he isn't liberal.

First off, that is a dense statement. Second, many of those I'm betting have not set foot in a USC classroom.

It is not personal against this guy. To question his creditntisl is valid. To question BOT motives is valid. To question Gov McMasters motives is valid.

You see, USC education teaches you to question things. Something a few on here clearly don't have.
    Baseball
    SEC Champs: 2000, 2002, 2011
    CWS Appearances:
    1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
    Two-time National Champs

Quote Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
    This concisely covers it.

And for those saying students don't like him because he isn't liberal.

First off, that is a dense statement. Second, many of those I'm betting have not set foot in a USC classroom.

It is not personal against this guy. To question his creditntisl is valid. To question BOT motives is valid. To question Gov McMasters motives is valid.

You see, USC education teaches you to question things. Something a few on here clearly don't have.
    Caslan 1 Snowflakes 0

Exactly how long will the snowflakes cry over their loss here?
    The man will run an organized staff that puts 100% effort in to making his decisions a success. Laziness and kissing a** are out.

1st Team All-American Roosterboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
    Caslan 1 Snowflakes 0

The man will run an organized staff that puts 100% effort in to making his decisions a success. Laziness and kissing a** are out.
    That's all fine and good.
    The point remains he is woefully underqualified for this job.

He may get his vision going well, but what is his vision? Those are things any alum should be paying attention to, regardless of who the new president is.
    Baseball
    SEC Champs: 2000, 2002, 2011
    CWS Appearances:
    1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
    Two-time National Champs

Quote Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
    That's all fine and good.
    The point remains he is woefully underqualified for this job.

He may get his vision going well, but what is his vision? Those are things any alum should be paying attention to, regardless of who the new president is.
    Who are you to judge his qualifications for the job? Obviously many people, who have a much better idea of what it takes to be President, do not agree with you. I'll take that over a poster on a fan website . Guess you're still upset that they didn't call and get your opinion.
    Here is the deal the vote is done and we have a new President so either give him your full support or support another school as it is the fans bitching and moaning that are given us a black eye and not Caslen.

Caslan 1 Snowflakes 0

I'm only here for the reputation points.

He could also become one of the best presidents USC has ever appointed.

I completely understand people being suspicious/upset with the process. It sure looked like a debacle. I highly doubt the accreditation talk ever goes anywhere but would prefer it never come up.

That said, does anyone think that similar debacles are more likely to happen with the addition of a veteran general to the discussion table?

I think the idea that Caslan cant run a “research institution” is unfounded and honestly is at odds with my experiences dealing with SC today. As someone in industry whose organization tries to work with McNair, i question whatever level of vision and leadership is currently in place. They approach quotes for work in an insulting fashion. And frankly its going to cost them momey and long term progress because people dont want to bother in spite of the feel good story working with the flagship state university.

As someone in industry with young engineers who are trying to further their education that tell me its easier to work with universities in other parts of the country because SC wont work with realistic professional schedules, in effect turning away established producers, again i question how effectiveness currently in place.

I love SC. I will continue to try to support the university no matter what like a misguided sibling. But the point is i fail to believe my experiences will deteriorate. Like coach, im on board.
    Married to a former UGA cheerleader...no matter what happens I still feel like I get the upper hand...GO COCKS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gocockswyn View Post
    He could also become one of the best presidents USC has ever appointed.
    Or, he could end up like Miss State’s former president. who was a General in the Air Force...

https://www.stripes.com/news/former-...-mount-1.76355

Retired Air Force Gen. Robert “Doc” Foglesong quit as president of Mississippi State University this week amid gripes from students and faculty over everything from the removal of campus daffodils to his micromanaging leadership style.”

Now watch all of the Army and Marines fanatics say that guy failed because he was in the Air Force.

Caslen being successful at USC because he was in the military and at West Point makes as much sense as saying Pastitides would certainly be successful at West Point because he was great at Carolina.
    Last edited by Nureye; 07-21-2019 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanical Cock View Post
    I completely understand people being suspicious/upset with the process. It sure looked like a debacle. I highly doubt the accreditation talk ever goes anywhere but would prefer it never come up.

That said, does anyone think that similar debacles are more likely to happen with the addition of a veteran general to the discussion table?

I think the idea that Caslan cant run a “research institution” is unfounded and honestly is at odds with my experiences dealing with SC today. As someone in industry whose organization tries to work with McNair, i question whatever level of vision and leadership is currently in place. They approach quotes for work in an insulting fashion. And frankly its going to cost them momey and long term progress because people dont want to bother in spite of the feel good story working with the flagship state university.

As someone in industry with young engineers who are trying to further their education that tell me its easier to work with universities in other parts of the country because SC wont work with realistic professional schedules, in effect turning away established producers, again i question how effectiveness currently in place.

I love SC. I will continue to try to support the university no matter what like a misguided sibling. But the point is i fail to believe my experiences will deteriorate. Like coach, im on board.
    Irrespective of how someone feels about Gen. Caslen, almost none of the problems that you're describing have anything to do with the responsibilities of the President, and they're unlikely to change substantively for the better under him. The issues that you describe (and related problems that are rampant across campus) fall under the responsibilities of the Provost, Deans, Directors, and other administrators. My experiences, by the way, have been comparable to yours. Unfortunately, our recent Provost has been a disaster, and some deans (including mine) are incompetent to the point that it is severely affecting our mission to teach, mentor, and train students, and conduct research. You might say that's a reason for a 'strong' president, but I would strongly disagree that further centralizing power in Osborne Hall is going to resolve those issues. Instead, we need leadership that takes a long look at what we want to be as a university, sets goals, and works with the colleges, departments, faculty, and staff to achieve them. That will likely involve assessing the performance of administrators, but again, that will fall heavily on the new Provost, whenever we get one. Because Gen. Caslen did not articulate any vision for the university during his interviews and in fact seemed to know little about USC, it's hard to predict what will happen. I suspect one of his first actions will be to hire consultants to figure those out for him.

I've said earlier (maybe in another thread) that Dr. Pastides' retirement was well timed, or actually a few years too late, because he seemed to run out of gas a few years back. I stand by that. Unfortunately, USC struggles with attracting, developing, and keeping competent and visionary administrative leadership for reasons that I'm going to pass on discussing here. I don't see Gen. Caslen as being able to solve some of the root issues of our problems and in fact, I believe that things will get worse. But, we'll see what happens.

David Cloninger
    @DCPandC
    Following Following
    @DCPandC

More

South Carolina just deliberately:

* Thumbed its nose to at least two of its biggest donors;
    * Divided the student body and faculty;
    * Risked its accreditation.

And you thought the U-of-SC rebranding was a disaster.
    Order Of The Spur

I miss Old Cocky Talk

From the University's Facebook Page:

Quote Originally Posted by SwampFox View Post
    From the University's Facebook Page:

Dr. Pastides with one of the weakest non-endorsements that you'll ever see in a transition like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoCocky66 View Post
    Dr. Pastides with one of the weakest non-endorsements that you'll ever see in a transition like this.
    I would actually call it a very strong non-endorsement.

Quote Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
    Seriously doubt Caslen cares. The snowflakes consistent whining and moaning is making USC look bad. Time for everyone to give the man your 100% support and stop the crying.

Quote Originally Posted by Nureye View Post

Seriously doubt Caslen cares. The snowflakes consistent whining and moaning is making USC look bad. Time for everyone to give the man your 100% support and stop the crying.
    Wow. Triggered much? How is an observation about Dr Pastides' press release (posted by another CT member) whining, moaning, or crying?

Heisman Candidate carolina_corpsman's Avatar

Lot's of sky is falling over might be's. Give the man a chance before assuming he will fail.

Heisman Candidate carolina_corpsman's Avatar

From USC's website:

"Caslen was a popular leader with the cadets at West Point, who nicknamed the superintendent “Supe Daddy” and joined him for early-morning physical training workouts each Wednesday"

"During his time at West Point, the academy was recognized as the nation’s No. 1 public college by U.S. News and World Report and Forbes magazines. "

"Caslen believes in building diverse, inclusive teams as a way to get the best outcomes. His record includes a demonstrated commitment to diversity, and during his tenure at West Point he appointed the first woman to serve as the commandant of cadets, the first woman to serve as a dean at West Point and the first African American female cadet to serve as first captain of the Corps of Cadets."

Seems like his students liked him, he was behind a #1 ranking and has shown he values a diverse staff. I look forward to seeing what he does with the University.

^^^^ Come on now C.C. Let's not cloud our outrage with facts....
    "Don't ask me to cook the dinner, and not let me shop for the groceries." - Will Muschamp