Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Finalist named for President Pastides replacement

Default Re: Finalist named for President Pastides replacement

Quote Originally Posted by thekob View Post
    Post & Courier floated Darla Moore's name as someone who might be considered behind closed doors with no name annouced to the public.
    It would be interesting to see what all of the anti-Caslen people would do if that came about considering that the no PHD and no experience running a normal university complaints that they "had" about Caslen would also apply to Moore.

University of South Carolina '19

Has anyone asked Pastides to reconsider?

🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioCock View Post
    Has anyone asked Pastides to reconsider?
    From my understand he was forced out

Quote Originally Posted by SheckWes View Post
    From my understand he was forced out
    That's an interesting idea that has been floated around by faculty over beer and coffee. Administrative friends of mine who are close friends with the Pastides say there's nothing to it and that he simply was ready to retire after a very long run as President. If this was the case, though, very few people would really know.

That said, there was dissatisfaction in the BOT and state government with our administration in recent years. I know that runs counter to what some on here want to believe about Pastides and Gabel, but that comes from very reliable sources and predates much of this mess. As I've said before, there wasn't a large amount of effort to retain the latter, who won't be missed. It was also clear that Harris kind of ran out of steam a couple years ago. So, it's plausible.

Post & Courier floated Darla Moore's name as someone who might be considered behind closed doors with no name annouced to the public.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamecock303 View Post
    It would be interesting to see what all of the anti-Caslen people would do if that came about considering that the no PHD and no experience running a normal university complaints that they "had" about Caslen would also apply to Moore.
    I distinctly remember reading a quote from her in The State several years after she donated the money that she compared donating the money to "pissing down a rat hole" because she wasn't seeing a tangible return on her investment. I found it incredibly insulting at the time and remember thinking to myself, "I wonder if she ever asked the rats how they felt about that."

I am pretty sure the coarseness of the super-rich would not jive with the school's values.

But thanks for the money anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
    I distinctly remember reading a quote from her in The State several years after she donated the money that she compared donating the money to "pissing down a rat hole" because she wasn't seeing a tangible return on her investment. I found it incredibly insulting at the time and remember thinking to myself, "I wonder if she ever asked the rats how they felt about that."

I am pretty sure the coarseness of the super-rich would not jive with the school's values.

In the business school, there's huge portrait of her when you walk in from the Coliseum side.

But she probably said that because that building, while the nicest on campus, is horribly designed.
    University of South Carolina '19

Quote Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post

She was very critical of the university's other colleges and schools and how they don't prepare students with technology. She was also very much on the student's side when it came to student loans, etc.

Seems like the students would like her, and she'd roil a few people that are too set in their ways for their own good. It would be interesting to say the least.

It doesn't sound like the "rat hole" comment was about USC, but about the South Carolina education system in general.

"
    In a drawly monotone, she was pointed and pithy. And, yes, she matter-of-factly uttered her “rat hole” confession to 300 community leaders gathered to raise money for Trident Tech and celebrate the Greater Charleston tourism industry’s honors as the world’s top tourism destination. Moore explained that it was after she and her husband committed $25 million in 1998 to the University of South Carolina business school that she began to understand the state’s education mediocre performance realities. It was then, she said, “I felt like I’d pretty much pissed $25 million down a rat hole.”

https://www.postandcourier.com/opini...3dc560e4d.html
    GOD
    USA
    SEC

Official Baseball Chick USCBatgirl21's Avatar

If only Condi Rice was interested in the job. We could check off the qualified, experienced, and diversity boxes.
    What can I say...
    I swear like a sailor & use please and thank you like a saint...
    I'm complicated

Quote Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
    If only Condi Rice was interested in the job. We could check off the qualified, experienced, and diversity boxes.
    Oh, that'd be a good one. Maybe....she'd get to go to Augusta National a lot more often!
    GOD
    USA
    SEC

Oh, that'd be a good one. Maybe....she'd get to go to Augusta National a lot more often!
    She is my dream candidate. However, she seems to really enjoy living in Palo Alto.
    What can I say...
    I'm complicated

And of course the taters wasted no time before jumping in with their tasteless and borderline libelous rhetoric.

“The looney left students and faculty are in charge at USC”

“They protest a US Army General being their president and the board backs down. That’s just the tip of the iceberg. USC is now firmly established as a Chapel Hill, Austin, Berkeley style bastion of anti-American counter culture.”
    Name:  god-country-clemson-768x768.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  95.8 KB

https://www.facebook.com/GodCountryClemson/
    ----------------------------------------------

We need to ditch everything and start over fresh. Stop trying to do this ourselves and hire a high level search firm that specializes in such positions.
    Order Of The Spur

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Quote Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
    We need to ditch everything and start over fresh. Stop trying to do this ourselves and hire a high level search firm that specializes in such positions.
    Supposedly that is what we did, and they are the ones who presented the original 4 finalists.
    What can I say...
    I'm complicated

I really blame Ray Tanner for this one too

Quote Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
    Supposedly that is what we did, and they are the ones who presented the original 4 finalists.
    You're correct about us hiring a professional search firm (Parker) to develop the applicant pool and coordinate the search, but it was the search committee who gave us the finalists, not the firm. Lest we forget, 8 BOT members were either on the committee (6) or served as special advisors (2).

Pompous Ass Hillbilly GregoryHouse's Avatar

Darla Moore wants president vote stopped and search reopened

https://www.postandcourier.com/polit...3768834f9.html

OLUMBIA — The University of South Carolina’s largest donor has asked the school to stop a vote for a new president Friday and reopen the search for a new leader.“Not one constituency of the university is in favor of the current process, including the donors who are the lifeblood of the university’s future,” Lake City financier Darla Moore wrote in an email sent Thursday to board chairman John von Lehe. “The process should be started over to find a qualified candidate without the current controversy. To do otherwise is to do irremediable damage to the university.”
    Moore, who has donated more than $75 million to her alma mater, said the university was caving in to political influence to hire retired Army Gen. Robert Caslen, a former superintendent at West Point who was among presidential finalists passed over by the USC board this spring.
    I don't worry about falling skies as much as I worry about low ceilings.

Let’s hope today isn’t a total embarrassment...if it isn’t already.

Back at the beginning of this circus, some of us found it odd that the powers that be released the names of "finalists". I can't say I follow the appointment of university presidents very closely, but I cannot recall any time where this was done in the past here at USC. It begs the question then that if that had not happened, would there still be such a controversy over the supposed favorite in the list, the lack of diversity, or any of the other objections I've seen?

I think that right now, whoever is selected, is in a no win situation. If it's Caslen, then the university risks losing support of faculty, students, Darla Moore, and face possible sanctions from the accrediting agencies all because the governor wanted to swing his dick around. If it's somebody else, then you have another large portion of the population who'll say he/she is an EEO hire or something else derogatory.
    ----------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by spurfan93 View Post
    Let’s hope today isn’t a total embarrassment...if it isn’t already.
    The situation bypassed that some time ago. Now it's just a matter of whether we can pull ourselves out of the hole we dug, fill it in, and start over and do this thing correctly.
    What can I say...
    I'm complicated