Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: STATE OF OUR PROGRAM

Default STATE OF OUR PROGRAM

We have not had a very good season to date. Our BA is last in the SEC, we don't draw many walks, we strike out too much, we don't throw out many runners, we issue too many walks, we are only 4 - 11 in SEC play. Having said all this, I like our young pitchers very much and think we have a great future in pitching. I also like the way we are quick to pull pitchers if they are not doing well.

In short I think we hired the right man in Mark. We were down 3 pitchers before the season started and have had at least 3 more injured since. Next season we should have one of the best pitching staffs in America. We also need to schedule more acc teams as we are 4 - 1 against the acc. I also look for a better hitting team in the future.

Thoughts?

The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar

Default Re: STATE OF OUR PROGRAM

Is it South Carolina?

2 years otj and we are about where we can be ; given the info shared by spur 20001. many very good clubs in the SEC . we will be better with pitching when some arms heal, batting , strikeouts are signs of aggression, walks are hurting overall . we will be ok .
    No Fruit Sucks like the BIG ORANGE

At the risk of being banned, I have to disagree totally. I don't really blame Mark. I blame Tanner. Mark is doing the best to his ability. But as with a lot of Tanner's hires, he is a victim of the PETER'S PRINCIPLE. In fact the more I think of it, Ray himself is a classic example of the PETER'S PRINCIPLE. If you look at each of their careers , I a sure the pattern will emerge. JMHO

Our offensive approach is abysmal and the numbers back it up

I’m not really surprised where we are as a team right now. Going in, I thought it would take a while to figure things out and eventually we would do enough to sneak into the field of 64. I really didn’t expect a national seed or to even host. You’re really seeing how much the draft just gutted this team. The batting average is certainly disappointing, but imo they’re still scoring enough runs to win a majority of the time. You’re just not going to win series in this conference with one quality weekend starter. Imagine if we even had two..our conference record would be imo 2-3 games better and we would have a much better shot to make the postseason. The bullpen is being stretched too thin and we don’t really have a closer.

The good news news is this team is still fighting and maybe Carmen can come back and be a decent starter and maybe help us to win some series. Also, we have the best JUCO pitcher, shortstop and catcher committed so that should help. The next year or two looks to be pretty promising.

Very good post. Great point in the bullpen being overworked. I do like this program going forward.

I like the line-up we used in the UNC game: Perez at 3b, Olson in RF and Eyster as DH. Perez looks good on defense and I think he is a much better hitter than he has shown to date.
    Last edited by Spur20001; 04-19-2019 at 04:56 PM.

People don't like transition periods in programs with new coaches. Kingston is still newly on the job and figuring out how to staff the team to be good enough. If we're still struggling like we are in two years, then we might be in trouble. Until then, it is what it is and no one should have any expectations whatsoever - just enjoy the successes when they come and shrug off the losses.

BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER GamecockUltimate's Avatar

Whomever pitched vs UNC needs to pitch on Fridays.

I admit that's crappy for me to say whomever, but im being lazy. He pitched well though and Friday has been a bad night for us.

I think we will be fine in a few years, but I just don't think its meant to be this year. Its awesome to see them battle though, win some top 10 games, and compete hard. The record surely isn't good, but its not for lack of effort. Clean up the fielding (one bad inning a game), hit a little better with men on, and be a tad more consistent on pitching and we will be successful.

I will say that Skylar Meade has to do a lot to prove to me he is a good pitching coach.

Quote Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
    Whomever pitched vs UNC needs to pitch on Fridays.

I admit that's crappy for me to say whomever, but im being lazy. He pitched well though and Friday has been a bad night for us.

I think we will be fine in a few years, but I just don't think its meant to be this year. Its awesome to see them battle though, win some top 10 games, and compete hard. The record surely isn't good, but its not for lack of effort. Clean up the fielding (one bad inning a game), hit a little better with men on, and be a tad more consistent on pitching and we will be successful.

I will say that Skylar Meade has to do a lot to prove to me he is a good pitching coach.
    I stated prior to the season I did not think we would do well this year. Mark needs time to get his recruits here. I do like the young pitchers we have and think they will do well going forward. I am with you on Meade. He may turn out well but is yet to show it.

You dont get out of this MESS with slow developmental players...Kingston is going to find a way to bring in some studs...we dont have the guys on this team right now to turn this around and dont have time to just wait until it clicks for them.....look at all the juco guys here and in the next class ..I know ray would get some jucos but were going to be full of them next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur20001 View Post
    I like the line-up we used in the UNC game: Perez at 3b, Olson in RF and Eyster as DH. Perez looks good on defense and I think he is a much better hitter than he has shown to date.
    He cant be much worse

If we just Get off of Kingstons nuts we'll be back. Dude is about to have an Aneurism already.

Nick Neville should never see the batters box.... Some of the coaching decisions baffle me. He's like 1-40 or some shit. STOP PLAYING HIM

Hope they's a big crowd at NorthAugusta tues night, first chance for something like this. It's only an hour down the road - yall come on down, a good strong Carolina base here.

We are getting ready to have the worst year we have ever had in the SEC. I'm sorry, that is not suppose to happen with a program such as ours. I don't know the answer but it seems to me our talent is nowhere where it needs to be.

When 3 of your better position players are seniors, your program is not going to be in the top third of the conference. If these players were "top of the line" they would have been drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by cockybusiness2 View Post
    At the risk of being banned, I have to disagree totally. I don't really blame Mark. I blame Tanner. Mark is doing the best to his ability. But as with a lot of Tanner's hires, he is a victim of the PETER'S PRINCIPLE. In fact the more I think of it, Ray himself is a classic example of the PETER'S PRINCIPLE. If you look at each of their careers , I a sure the pattern will emerge. JMHO
    Maybe my recollection fails me! But who was our AD when we reached the super regional last summer? Every fan knew this year was a rebuild with very little experience pitching!

The squad should be hitting better! But I fail to how that's Tanners fault!

To the poster saying the guy who pitched against UNC should start, I believe that was Dylan Harley. The thing is, he was in the rotation at the start of the year. Like most on that pitching roster, he’s a freshman that has good stuff, but just not consistent throwing strikes. He was demoted to the bullpen just before conference play and I think if I’m not mistaken that was his first start since then.

Just wanted to point out...look at baseball across the state this year. There’s a possibility that the state of SC won’t get a team in the postseason. Coastal was preseason top 15 and has fallen off the rails. Clemson was preseason top 20 and they’ve lost seven in a row now sitting at 25-15.