Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: STATE OF OUR PROGRAM

BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER GamecockUltimate's Avatar

Default Re: STATE OF OUR PROGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by spurfan93 View Post
    To the poster saying the guy who pitched against UNC should start, I believe that was Dylan Harley. The thing is, he was in the rotation at the start of the year. Like most on that pitching roster, he’s a freshman that has good stuff, but just not consistent throwing strikes. He was demoted to the bullpen just before conference play and I think if I’m not mistaken that was his first start since then.

Just wanted to point out...look at baseball across the state this year. There’s a possibility that the state of SC won’t get a team in the postseason. Coastal was preseason top 15 and has fallen off the rails. Clemson was preseason top 20 and they’ve lost seven in a row now sitting at 25-15.
    Thanks for this post. That was me. Its a weird year for me work wise, following them hasn't been easy. Weird season for SC baseball over.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonRa777 View Post
    Maybe my recollection fails me! But who was our AD when we reached the super regional last summer? Every fan knew this year was a rebuild with very little experience pitching!

The squad should be hitting better! But I fail to how that's Tanners fault!
    WOW... we reached the Super Regionals last year. When was the last time we were in Omaha. That should be the minimum for USC Baseball. Ray was a great BASEBALL coach. Then he rose to AD. Classic Peter's Principle.

Quote Originally Posted by cockybusiness2 View Post
    WOW... we reached the Super Regionals last year. When was the last time we were in Omaha. That should be the minimum for USC Baseball. Ray was a great BASEBALL coach. Then he rose to AD. Classic Peter's Principle.
    Talk about unrealistic expectations. I wonder if you were one of the fans (and there were many) that wanted Tanner fired at the 2009 season.

By the way, let's say that Kingston gets a solid team back next year and takes them to Omaha. Is Tanner still the "classic Peter's Principle" or would he redeem himself?

BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER GamecockUltimate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cockybusiness2 View Post
    you realize that a super regional finish is a sweet 16 right? No It isn't national championship but its still very competitive. we then lost several good players off that team. Ray hired a good coach, give him time, if he fails ray will hire a new guy.

I think Ray made a very good hire in Mark. Some people don't seem to realize Mark has not had one complete recruiting class yet. Some of this year's class were actually committed to Chad and Mark honored their commitments. I am very confident Mark will make USC baseball great again. Just give him time to get his players here.

I watch every game and will ccontinue to support our baseball program but it is very painful to watch this season. I think we only have one great defensive IF and that is SS. Our catching is awful and we can't hit. Bad pitching is partly due to so many pitchers being hurt. We are going downhill in about every phase of the game.

We won the Clemson series. I'm ok.
    I'm only here for the reputation points.

Quote Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
    We won the Clemson series. I'm ok.
    Loved beating Clemson and also 2 other acc teams, UNC and NC State. Those have been the highlights of the season.

Things just got worse. Logan Chapman plans to transfer.

hitting is killing us. Who is teaching/coaching this team??? Leading the conference in homers has got us what ??? No series wins thats it. Poor at bat processing ,they need to look at moving runners forward hell the bash brothers had players who hit singles ,doubles that ball had eyes. We have blind coaches who have not as yet seen the long ball or die is killing this year.

Losing to A&T sucked a low point they are currently #186 we are #67 . Their SOS is 232 . I swear beating clemsux might have been the worst thing this team could have done. Hell it was the last good thing they did for sure,. Confusing beat them then forget how to hit the ball it's homer of bust.

In case anyone is wondering, CoC is 28-16/10-5 in Holbrook's second season as HC this year.

They took a series against #27 UConn early in the season and were 1/3 against Arizona.

0/2 vs. Clemson

2/3 vs. NC A&T

Obviously, this is against lower tier opponents than those in the SEC, but I think he will have a lot of success at CoC.

Quote Originally Posted by gsgp View Post
    hitting is killing us. Who is teaching/coaching this team??? Leading the conference in homers has got us what ??? No series wins thats it. Poor at bat processing ,they need to look at moving runners forward hell the bash brothers had players who hit singles ,doubles that ball had eyes. We have blind coaches who have not as yet seen the long ball or die is killing this year.
    I think our worst enemy has been the many HRs we hit early this year. Most of our guys seem to be swinging for the fence on most swings. Just make contact, hit the ball squarely and the HRs will come. Our staff is doing an awful job with our hitters. Make contact, choke up with 2 strikes and hit line drives. Forget swinging for the fence. This will also reduce our many strikeouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur20001 View Post
    Things just got worse. Logan Chapman plans to transfer.
    That certainly doesn’t help things, but I think we’ll be ok with the weekend rotation next year. You figure Reid Morgan will take a spot, along with Farr (top ranked JUCO pitcher). So that leaves a lot of competition for one spot with Carmen, Tringali, Harley and others.

Talk about unrealistic expectations. I wonder if you were one of the fans (and there were many) that wanted Tanner fired at the 2009 season.

By the way, let's say that Kingston gets a solid team back next year and takes them to Omaha. Is Tanner still the "classic Peter's Principle" or would he redeem himself?
    Yes, It would actually prove what I said to be true.

That certainly doesn’t help things, but I think we’ll be ok with the weekend rotation next year. You figure Reid Morgan will take a spot, along with Farr (top ranked JUCO pitcher). So that leaves a lot of competition for one spot with Carmen, Tringali, Harley and others.
    Do you think Farr will come to USC or is he a high ranked pro prospect? If Harley can harness his control and he is doing much better I think he can be a top notch pitcher for us. Carmen was also having control problems before he got hurt. We need some good strike throwers and less free passes. Our pitchers need to trust their stuff and trust our defense to make plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur20001 View Post
    Do you think Farr will come to USC or is he a high ranked pro prospect? If Harley can harness his control and he is doing much better I think he can be a top notch pitcher for us. Carmen was also having control problems before he got hurt. We need some good strike throwers and less free passes. Our pitchers need to trust their stuff and trust our defense to make plays.
    Based on everything Iíve read about him, it makes me believe heís coming to school. He had a minor injury this year so he hasnít pitched much but they say heíll be ready to go. Not sure on the other pitcher (Peters?) thatís ranked right behind him.

2nd Team All-SEC Senior Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
    Is it South Carolina?

LMAO!!!!

OORAH!!!!!!!

Fight, Win, Kick Ass Copperhead's Avatar

Have not won a conference series the entire season and just gave up 22 runs in what will end up another series lose, so I'll say pretty crappy