Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer - Tavien Feaster

Default Re: Tavien Feaster

Quote Originally Posted by spurfan93 View Post
    Ah yes, I stand corrected. So that was six recruiting classes ago? I think my point still holds that our running game hasn’t been a threat since 2014. I do agree that it’s been multiple issues, but not having an elite/true SEC caliber RB and enough depth has been the biggest imo.

And since you mentioned David Williams, seems like there’s a similarity to him and Feaster. Three years at a school, graduates and then transfers to finish out at another power 5 school. Turned out pretty well for him as he added depth to Arkansas RB group, statistically had his best year and was drafted.
    After he’d played a few games here my honest opinion was that he would struggle. Not because of athleticism, I just felt he was more of an I-Formation type of back instead of a Zone Read back.

Running the ZR requires great vision and instincts. Zone blocking schemes tend to make holes open late, instead of running to a hole that’s open you’re running to where a hole SHOULD open. You then need the vision and instincts to cut back once the hole starts opening.

Marcus had that God given instinct. Mike Davis did to an extent, but not like Marcus.

Go back and watch many of our games the past few years, even the ones people blamed Roper for. Our RB’s consistently missed open holes or ran into the OL because they didn’t have the vision and instinct to adapt.

OL/DL will make a bad RB/QB look good or a good RB/QB look bad.

Feaster is good, but I would rather have a couple of Clemson's linemen on either side of the ball.

ll
    Quote Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
    Dowdle has more career rushing yards, catches, and receiving yards than Feaster and he has been hurt pretty much his whole career so I disagree with this.
    Feaster has been playing behind 2 guys who'll probably play on sundays

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID14 View Post
    ll

Feaster has been playing behind 2 guys who'll probably play on sundays
    Right, we need a guy who can play on Sundays. Not a guy who will sit on the bench behind them. Feaster is good, but he's Dowdle good, which is to say talented and somewhat consistent, but struggles without gaping holes to run through.

I would personally rather have Sims, who is a 6'3" speedy corner that adds immediate quality depth to our secondary. Our problem this year is our starting 5 DB's are really good players, but past that, we don't have a lot of solid depth that allow our starters to take a breather.

Think of it this way: the RB position, while it doesn't have a clear starter, has a lot of depth. Our secondary, while its starters are great, has little depth. I'd rather take the low risk, high reward option of Sims who can play 3 solid years for us, rather than take the high risk, low probability of high reward option of Feaster, who can only play 1 year and could easily be no better than any other back we've got. Unless Feaster turns into Nick Chubb or Marcus Lattimore overnight, it's a no from me.
    Do ya thing

Could've been a Contender COCKDIESEL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2k15 View Post
    Right, we need a guy who can play on Sundays. Not a guy who will sit on the bench behind them. Feaster is good, but he's Dowdle good, which is to say talented and somewhat consistent, but struggles without gaping holes to run through.

I would personally rather have Sims, who is a 6'3" speedy corner that adds immediate quality depth to our secondary. Our problem this year is our starting 5 DB's are really good players, but past that, we don't have a lot of solid depth that allow our starters to take a breather.

Think of it this way: the RB position, while it doesn't have a clear starter, has a lot of depth. Our secondary, while its starters are great, has little depth. I'd rather take the low risk, high reward option of Sims who can play 3 solid years for us, rather than take the high risk, low probability of high reward option of Feaster, who can only play 1 year and could easily be no better than any other back we've got. Unless Feaster turns into Nick Chubb or Marcus Lattimore overnight, it's a no from me.
    Does Sims have an extenuating circumstance to his transfer? I didn’t think he would be eligible immediately? I thought that was the question, using the scholly on a guy who could play immediately at a position that has been underwhelming or us it the add depth in later years at a position where you can never have too much quality depth.

Heisman Candidate carolina_corpsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL View Post
    Does Sims have an extenuating circumstance to his transfer? I didn’t think he would be eligible immediately? I thought that was the question, using the scholly on a guy who could play immediately at a position that has been underwhelming or us it the add depth in later years at a position where you can never have too much quality depth.
    Are we not using a 2020 scholly for a player who can only play in 2019? I

Quote Originally Posted by 2k15 View Post

Its pretty unfair to say that unless he turns into Marcus Lattimore he’s not worth the scholarship. The man doesn’t need to run for 1,000 yards for both SC and Feaster to profit from this. You and I can agree to disagree about current depth at the RB position.

This is is what it boils down to for me. How many times do we go into a game and say that the key to the game is being able to run the football? We all know the secret formula to winning games in this conference. You don’t have to run for 250 a game, but even running for 125-150 gives you a much greater chance to win. I’m tired of looking back on losses to UK, A&M and others and think gosh if only we had some sort of running game. If only Jake had a running game to take pressure off of him and the passing game. That’s why I’m saying he doesn’t have to run for 1,000 yards. He can provide more depth that can help us in the run game and finally win those close games. You can see the coaching staff is trying to create a long term (Tank Bigsby) and short term solution (Feaster) to the running back problem.

1st Team All-American Cockypantherfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
    Are we not using a 2020 scholly for a player who can only play in 2019? I
    If Feaster plays for us then yes it will use up a 2020 scholarship.

This year our offense rushed for 152.8 yards per game
    https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs

Quote Originally Posted by SheckWes View Post
    This year our offense rushed for 152.8 yards per game
    https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs
    When I said 125-150 I was focusing on the games where we clearly didn’t have a running game. But sure, we averaged 150 a game the entire year. Shoutout to Coastal, Vandy, UT and Chattanooga for making that possible. That put us 91st in the country and 11th in the SEC. If we were to average 200, that would put us in the top half in the conference. If you look at the teams that finished in the top half in rushing, every single one of them won at least 8 games. I don’t think that’s a coincidence.

When I said 125-150 I was focusing on the games where we clearly didn’t have a running game. But sure, we averaged 150 a game the entire year. Shoutout to Coastal, Vandy, UT and Chattanooga for making that possible. That put us 91st in the country and 11th in the SEC. If we were to average 200, that would put us in the top half in the conference. If you look at the teams that finished in the top half in rushing, every single one of them won at least 8 games. I don’t think that’s a coincidence.
    i know, and it’s why our running game needs to average 200 ypg to have a successful team

of course that’s not the only thing but it is one of them

2nd Team All-SEC Senior Rooster's Avatar

Its pretty unfair to say that unless he turns into Marcus Lattimore he’s not worth the scholarship. The man doesn’t need to run for 1,000 yards for both SC and Feaster to profit from this. You and I can agree to disagree about current depth at the RB position.

This is is what it boils down to for me. How many times do we go into a game and say that the key to the game is being able to run the football? We all know the secret formula to winning games in this conference. You don’t have to run for 250 a game, but even running for 125-150 gives you a much greater chance to win. I’m tired of looking back on losses to UK, A&M and others and think gosh if only we had some sort of running game. If only Jake had a running game to take pressure off of him and the passing game. That’s why I’m saying he doesn’t have to run for 1,000 yards. He can provide more depth that can help us in the run game and finally win those close games. You can see the coaching staff is trying to create a long term (Tank Bigsby) and short term solution (Feaster) to the running back problem.
    GREAT POST!!!!!!!!!!

OORAH!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
    If Feaster plays for us then yes it will use up a 2020 scholarship.
    I just don't get the cost vs risk in that scenario.

Even though Feaster counts towards the 2020 25 man limit, would we even be able to offer and sign 25 2020 guys and stay under the 85 limit? I think bringing in Feaster is a good move. We need playmakers on O. I think our RB position may be the least impressive position on O.

Quote Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
    I just don't get the cost vs risk in that scenario.
    If Feaster comes in and kills it then rb recruits willturn an eye towards us.The risk is worth it.

2nd Team All-SEC Senior Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
    Even though Feaster counts towards the 2020 25 man limit, would we even be able to offer and sign 25 2020 guys and stay under the 85 limit? I think bringing in Feaster is a good move. We need playmakers on O. I think our RB position may be the least impressive position on O.
    DITTO!!!

OORAH!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
    If Feaster comes in and kills it then rb recruits willturn an eye towards us.The risk is worth it.
    And if he doesn't then we used a spot in a class he can't even play in. I'm sure the coaches know what they are doing, and will do what they think is best.

Quote Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
    Correct. The recruiting gurus say we probably won’t have a full class. Just looking at the roster I only counted 20 seniors. I think people are making too much of the scholarship situation anyway. If you keep up with college football you know the numbers will always work out.

Anyway, supposedly he’s down to 3 schools but he hasn’t announced who the three are. Brad Crawford of 247 believes SC is one of them and even went as far as to say that he would be surprised if he didn’t end up at SC if the three schools that his source told him are accurate.

Correct. The recruiting gurus say we probably won’t have a full class. Just looking at the roster I only counted 20 seniors. I think people are making too much of the scholarship situation anyway. If you keep up with college football you know the numbers will always work out.

Anyway, supposedly he’s down to 3 schools but he hasn’t announced who the three are. Brad Crawford of 247 believes SC is one of them and even went as far as to say that he would be surprised if he didn’t end up at SC if the three schools that his source told him are accurate.
    Was listening to gamecock central podcast and they thought Feaster ends up here. Sorry if that’s is the same guy. They had good points that even if all the Rico or another play great, Feaster could still make an impact because none can catch as well as him. Also even if it is only 10-12 carries and 3-5 catches for 100 total yards a game, that’s a big addiction in 13-17 touches. I think his big play ability is what makes me most hopeful about getting him.

I think we missed on the other potential transfers but still glad to see there’s a possibility he finally ends up here. We need serious help in the run game and a seasoned guy like that would certainly help.