Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Felipe Hasse Transferring

Default Re: Felipe Hasse Transferring

I agree with the ones who don't want Woods. He would have to sit out a year, might use that year for Frank to develop him and then go pro without ever playing a game for USC. Had he come here as a freshman I think he would have developed much quicker than at UNC. He had his chance. Hopefully he won't be given a second chance at USC.

We need a good grad transfer who would not eat up a SS and leave us short handed as we were this season or a good freshman or JC player.

I might have been wrong on Woods having to sit out a year. Is he a grad transfer? Either way I hope we don't take him. He got what he deserved when he chose UNC, so did Felton who did not even last one season.
    Last edited by Spur20001; 04-27-2019 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonRa777 View Post
    If Frank is trying to give that scholarship to Kerry Blackshear of Va Tech it's coaching malpractice!
    6'10" 250 lbs. That's the size we need. But I read that UK has already contacted him. I don't know if he got an offer from them. (or from us for that matter)

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

No on Seventh Woods - we have too may Guards on the roster who wanted to come here. He could have been a hero in his hometown instead of a zero - or close to it - at UNC. I believe he would have been a star here with the additional PT that he would have gotten, but oh well....

Blackshear would be a good get. If Blackshear has sense, he will not make Woods; mistake by going to UK. UK has a lot of Freshman bigs coming in that need their minutes - Calipari's system demands that Freshmen get PT so they can get drafted high after one year. Otherwise, the pipeline stops. Blackshear would be better off here.

Blackshear is one of the top recruits in the portal. It would be one our best recruiting gets if we somehow pulled it off. Our best shot is that Frank's close relationship with Buzz Williams has some impact on Blackshear's decision. But you can't blame him from going to a traditional basketball instead of us.

1st Team All-American Cockhornleghorn's Avatar

^That's why I'm hopeful for Blackshear. Hopefully, he will ask Buzz for advice.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonRa777 View Post
    If Frank is trying to give that scholarship to Kerry Blackshear of Va Tech it's coaching malpractice!
    Coaching malpractice to get one of the best players available... Really?!

BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER GamecockUltimate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
    Hey if Kentucky can use it every year, why can't we??
    welp you got me there. They are fighting for national championships though, we are fighting for the NIT...and happy with the guy in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by GAMEKEM View Post
    Blackshear is one of the top recruits in the portal. It would be one our best recruiting gets if we somehow pulled it off. Our best shot is that Frank's close relationship with Buzz Williams has some impact on Blackshear's decision. But you can't blame him from going to a traditional basketball instead of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
    ^That's why I'm hopeful for Blackshear. Hopefully, he will ask Buzz for advice.
    I just don't see why Buzz Williams to advocate Blackshear to transfer here. I sure wouldn't be doing anything to help another school in my conference, even if I was pals with the other coach. Plus, assuming he has the scholarship available, why wouldn't he recruit Blackshear to A&M? If the kid is leaving because Buzz left, makes sense for him to follow.

I completely agree with everything you said. I'm just poiting an outlier of a reason why he would even consider us. If for whatever reason he feels like his career has run it's course with Buzz Williams and yet he still values his judgement on a different coach he can trust to help push him, then that's the only scenario as farfetched as it sounds in which I can see him picking USC over the likes of UNC or Tennessee.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ35 View Post
    Coaching malpractice to get one of the best players available... Really?!
    Obvious typo! It was intended to say "If Frank isn't trying to get Kerry Blackshear"! Everyone figured that out but you!

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

Blackshear is from Orlando, so TAMU would be pretty far from home. I saw an article that said Flawduh would make a lot of sense. He could also do a big name school to enhance his NBA chances - UK or KU.

He may also want to stay in the ACC, which would open up schools like FSU and UNC.

Let me toss this out there with regard to Seventh Woods...

Here's the thing that I think most of the fans don't see right now... the Gamecocks are NOT a rebounding oriented team next year. We've got Kotsar and Frink right now as known quantities (though the incoming freshmen may help there... we'll have to wait and see). We are NOT the Sliva-led team, and we ARE going to look quite different both offensively AND defensively.

I believe we will be a guard-heavy offense, and can see us playing 3 guards at a time for good sections of the game. We will likely be a very Frank Martin-centric defensive team. Without Silva, we go back to having to press the advantage on the OUTSIDE, rather than primarily defending at the rim. It's what we were so good at when we made our final four run.

Why do I point all this out? Seventh Woods is absolutely an elite point guard. He's got crazy good skills, and has for quite some time. Did he lose some of his swagger because of the UNC experience? Sure. Has that changed how he plays ball and handles the ball and shoots the ball? NOT ONE BIT.

Frank Martin knows that next year's team will be that fast-paced team. He also knows that the team the following year will likely lose someone like AJ Lawson, and then he REALLY is in a pickle with experience moving forward. We literally have ONE member of the Senior class the year that Seventh Woods will be playing if he sits out next year. Minaya. That's IT. Everyone else will be Juniors and Sophomores.

Frank's system is built around having guys who have played ball for 4 years leading the team forward - SENIORS. It's why we had such a rough start to the year this year. Beyond Gravett and Silva, we had a grad transfer who had to learn the system and then a bunch of Freshmen who had to learn to play on the fly (plus Kotsar and Haase, who is no longer with us).

Seventh Woods gives you a guy, much like Brian Bowen, who can IMMEDIATELY impact the game, and in a very positive way.

Everyone seems to say, "What did he do at UNC?" He played for Roy Williams and played with LOT of talented guys and picked up valuable experience FROM those guys (and his head coach). So he brings a mind for the game that he would not have had for a few years playing at Carolina. Seventh Woods MATTERS deeply to us in two years. He REALLY, REALLY matters.

I personally feel strongly that we grab Seventh Woods if we have the chance to do so. I think he would prove to be more of a team backbone that everyone realizes he will be. And he'll take the load off of a TJ Moss or Cousinard or Lawson (if Lawson is still around) and give us a playmaker and a shooter. And he's got great defensive skills. So I think there's a lot more upside than everyone else realizes.
    “What draws people to be friends is that they see the same truth. They share it.”
    ― C.S. Lewis

1st Team All-American Cockhornleghorn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
    I just don't see why Buzz Williams to advocate Blackshear to transfer here. I sure wouldn't be doing anything to help another school in my conference, even if I was pals with the other coach. Plus, assuming he has the scholarship available, why wouldn't he recruit Blackshear to A&M? If the kid is leaving because Buzz left, makes sense for him to follow.
    It's kind of unethical to do that.

Seventh just spent 3 years in the UNC program.
    id gladly take that on our roster
    GeoCocky was right, GSW did not beat the Bucks in 5 in the finals

How in the world do you describe Seventh Woods as an "elite PG" at this point in his career. Geez.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
    It's kind of unethical to do that.
    Ethics lol. With all the shit going on in college athletics, ethics are an afterthought.

Personally, I don't see anything unethical about it and it's not like it's unprecedented for a transfer to follow a coach.

1st Team All-American crowcutta's Avatar

doublea1971 i agree with the overall idea of taking woods. i would be more into it if he was immediately eligible, but then again assuming he has to sit if aj lawson is gone by that time we're likely going to be playing guard heavy lineups anyway. id go this route if we cant find a big that will improve our team anymore than haase would have.

Quote Originally Posted by VBCock View Post
    How in the world do you describe Seventh Woods as an "elite PG" at this point in his career. Geez.

Here's how I describe him that way. I read what others actually say, rather than solely basing things on my own opinion. If one actually takes the time to read what the people in this article, which includes teammates, say about him I would think most would agree that he brings more to the table than most think.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticl...ion-131512743/

Particularly telling are these statements late in the article...

1.) "Veteran leadership doesn't grow on trees and after a mass exodus of talent to the NBA Draft, it's an element North Carolina will sorely miss next season. He missed 17 games as a sophomore with a foot injury and missed time in November of his junior campaign after suffering a concussion. Perhaps a new start elsewhere will be just what Woods needs."
    2.) "Woods was an important asset to the Heels this season, providing reliable minutes off the bench. Seventh has been playing well,” Williams said in November. “He's been playing better defense. His assist-to-error ratio has been great. (Against Saint Francis) Coby made two or three good plays, I took him out, put in Seventh and he had a five-minute stretch that was just sensational. So, we would've liked to have had him in there for every phase of the games.”
    3.) "Those who follow North Carolina's program closely all seem to have the same opinion of Woods, a player who put program first and himself second. With one more year of eligibility remaining, he's looking to be impactful with more minutes as a contributor or potential starter and you can't blame him."

You're entitled to feel otherwise, and I don't fault you for doing so, but my thoughts are based on what I've seen. (And I expressed them as MY thoughts previously). I've watched Seventh Woods play, in High School and at the Collegiate level. He's VERY talented, and has a veteran's mindset, which brings all the things that Frank Martin needs. He's a great defender and did you notice when healthy this year that he's had some pretty amazing games? He scored 14 points in 17 minutes vs. Gonzaga, for instance. He does ALL of the things a coach asks of a player, and I think he's a pretty darned good grab if we can get him for 2020-21.
    “What draws people to be friends is that they see the same truth. They share it.”
    ― C.S. Lewis

One thing no one has mentioned is that Frank is potentially on the hot seat next season.

A transfer might sit out next year and then be playing for a different HC the year after that, for better or worse.

I tend to believe Frank will get everything roped back in next year, but there's always a chance that he won't.

Who knows?