Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 62

Thread: Felipe Hasse Transferring

  1. #41
    Hoops Fanatic doublea1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    530

    Default Re: Felipe Hasse Transferring

    Quote Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
    One thing no one has mentioned is that Frank is potentially on the hot seat next season.

    A transfer might sit out next year and then be playing for a different HC the year after that, for better or worse.

    I tend to believe Frank will get everything roped back in next year, but there's always a chance that he won't.

    Who knows?
    The only people who believe that Frank is on the hot seat are the fans. I can assure you that Ray Tanner is NOT going to fire Frank after this season. Frank may choose to leave on his own, but it will NOT be because of the USC Athletics Director that Frank goes, IF he goes after the 2019-20 season.
    “What draws people to be friends is that they see the same truth. They share it.”
    ― C.S. Lewis

  2. #42
    Buckle up, BOOM Comin' SCohioBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    4,164

    Default Re: Felipe Hasse Transferring

    If what you say is the case and we miss the post season again and no change is made, that is truly sad.
    "We played the State Championship in a place called Death Valley," he said. "I looked up in the fourth quarter and the only ones still alive were the Gamecocks."--SOS

  3. #43
    Hoops Fanatic doublea1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    530

    Default Re: Felipe Hasse Transferring

    Quote Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
    If what you say is the case and we miss the post season again and no change is made, that is truly sad.
    I'm assuming you're responding to me. If so, please help me understand why that is sad. Frank Martin has produced 3 of the 6 winning seasons in SEC conference play that South Carolina has had since we entered the league in 1992 (The others were Eddie Fogler with one in 1996-97 and another in 1997-98, and he who shall not be named had one in 2008-09). Frank Martin has taken us to the NIT once and to the NCAA Final Four once (something no other coach has done at USC). He's put players in the NBA (in PJ Dozier and in Sindarius Thornwell), and has recruited top 150 players on four occasions now (PJ Dozier, Chris Silva, Sedee Keita, and AJ Lawson). We're in a position to grab some prime recruits both in-state and out of state in 2020 and 2021. And we've finished in the top 4 of the SEC in 3 of the last 4 of Frank Martin's seasons at Carolina (#3 in 2016,#4 in 2017, and #4 in 2019). I see that as being pretty successful as a HC so far. In fact, he's been the most successful, other than Eddie Fogler, since the OTHER Frank was a HC at USC. Am I missing something? Why would our AD fire Coach Martin at this point?
    “What draws people to be friends is that they see the same truth. They share it.”
    ― C.S. Lewis

  4. #44
    Starter Spur20001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Greenwood, South Carolina
    Posts
    1,298

    Default Re: Felipe Hasse Transferring

    Quote Originally Posted by doublea1971 View Post
    The only people who believe that Frank is on the hot seat are the fans. I can assure you that Ray Tanner is NOT going to fire Frank after this season. Frank may choose to leave on his own, but it will NOT be because of the USC Athletics Director that Frank goes, IF he goes after the 2019-20 season.
    Also the few fans who think Frank is on the hot seat are clearly in the minority as are the loud few who attack him in this forum. Many schools would love to have Frank as their coach. This was proved again this year as his name popped up with schools looking to hire a coach.

  5. #45
    Buckle up, BOOM Comin' SCohioBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    4,164

    Default Re: Felipe Hasse Transferring

    Quote Originally Posted by Spur20001 View Post
    Also the few fans who think Frank is on the hot seat are clearly in the minority as are the loud few who attack him in this forum. Many schools would love to have Frank as their coach. This was proved again this year as his name popped up with schools looking to hire a coach.

    Yeah the schools who came after him are mid majors who couldn’t afford to match his overpayment.
    "We played the State Championship in a place called Death Valley," he said. "I looked up in the fourth quarter and the only ones still alive were the Gamecocks."--SOS

  6. #46
    Buckle up, BOOM Comin' SCohioBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    4,164

    Default Re: Felipe Hasse Transferring

    I
    Quote Originally Posted by doublea1971 View Post
    I'm assuming you're responding to me. If so, please help me understand why that is sad. Frank Martin has produced 3 of the 6 winning seasons in SEC conference play that South Carolina has had since we entered the league in 1992 (The others were Eddie Fogler with one in 1996-97 and another in 1997-98, and he who shall not be named had one in 2008-09). Frank Martin has taken us to the NIT once and to the NCAA Final Four once (something no other coach has done at USC). He's put players in the NBA (in PJ Dozier and in Sindarius Thornwell), and has recruited top 150 players on four occasions now (PJ Dozier, Chris Silva, Sedee Keita, and AJ Lawson). We're in a position to grab some prime recruits both in-state and out of state in 2020 and 2021. And we've finished in the top 4 of the SEC in 3 of the last 4 of Frank Martin's seasons at Carolina (#3 in 2016,#4 in 2017, and #4 in 2019). I see that as being pretty successful as a HC so far. In fact, he's been the most successful, other than Eddie Fogler, since the OTHER Frank was a HC at USC. Am I missing something? Why would our AD fire Coach Martin at this point?

    So for $3M a year you are ok with 1 NCAA in 8 years??
    "We played the State Championship in a place called Death Valley," he said. "I looked up in the fourth quarter and the only ones still alive were the Gamecocks."--SOS

  7. #47
    Two Deep 21-in-Right's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    1,165

    Default Re: Felipe Hasse Transferring

    Quote Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
    I


    So for $3M a year you are ok with 1 NCAA in 8 years??


    You can’t reason with entrenched Frank Martin supporters. Don’t try.


    "The secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are undecided."
    -
    Casey Stengel

  8. #48
    Hoops Fanatic doublea1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    530

    Default Re: Felipe Hasse Transferring

    Quote Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
    I


    So for $3M a year you are ok with 1 NCAA in 8 years??
    Sure am.
    “What draws people to be friends is that they see the same truth. They share it.”
    ― C.S. Lewis

  9. #49
    Buckle up, BOOM Comin' SCohioBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    4,164

    Default Re: Felipe Hasse Transferring

    Quote Originally Posted by doublea1971 View Post
    Sure am.

    Thats sad. Any other program in the power 5 wouldn’t be. 15th highest paid coach, has more transfers than graduates and you are happy? Only reason we are over .500 is because of a win over a D2 school, and your happy...no wonder why we have a horrible history.
    "We played the State Championship in a place called Death Valley," he said. "I looked up in the fourth quarter and the only ones still alive were the Gamecocks."--SOS

  10. #50
    Blue Chip GAMEKEM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Myrtle Beach
    Posts
    833

    Default Re: Felipe Hasse Transferring

    I don't think Frank is on the hot seat just yet. Now if we finish the season with single digit wins, then he'll be gone but if we finish around .500 and no post season again then he will definitely be on the hot seat for the 2020-2021 season. That's why I think it's important he wins now and we should focus on using that last scholarship on someone hopefully a big that can have an immediate impact.

  11. #51
    1st Team All-SEC Wisercock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    4,404

    Default Re: Felipe Hasse Transferring

    Without an experienced big man in the post we will struggle some next year, but I think we will win 18-20 games which will make Frank's job secure for the time being.

  12. #52
    Two Deep 21-in-Right's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    1,165

    Default Re: Felipe Hasse Transferring

    How many seasons after the Final Four do we get the Final Four bump?


    "The secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are undecided."
    -
    Casey Stengel

  13. #53
    Household Name kingofnerf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Straight Outta CLA
    Posts
    6,587

    Default Re: Felipe Hasse Transferring

    Quote Originally Posted by doublea1971 View Post
    The only people who believe that Frank is on the hot seat are the fans. I can assure you that Ray Tanner is NOT going to fire Frank after this season. Frank may choose to leave on his own, but it will NOT be because of the USC Athletics Director that Frank goes, IF he goes after the 2019-20 season.
    I generally agree with you that Ray will not fire Frank if he feels Frank is doing all he can do to have a successful season.

    However, that's not the way it goes at a lot of other schools and these recruits and transfers have a fair amount of influencers hanging around them.

    TAMU cut Billy Kennedy loose this year after 8 seasons. Same with Avery Johnson after 4 years at Bama.

    Most potential recruits and transfers WILL take Frank's situation here into account here when deciding to come here or not.

    I also think Frank is savvy enough to overcome that issue, but we'll see what happens.

  14. #54
    Hoops Fanatic doublea1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    530

    Default Re: Felipe Hasse Transferring

    Quote Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
    Thats sad. Any other program in the power 5 wouldn’t be. 15th highest paid coach, has more transfers than graduates and you are happy? Only reason we are over .500 is because of a win over a D2 school, and your happy...no wonder why we have a horrible history.
    Like I said before... You're fully entitled to your feelings and to your position on this. I explained above why I stand behind Frank Martin. You disagree. That's fine. But to say that it is sad because I support a coach who has done more with the program in the last 7 years than any coach in recent history, and when only Eddie Fogler and Frank McGuire have done comparably or better. I'm not 100% certain why you feel it appropriate or necessary to call my thoughts and opinions sad. I've not attacked you in any way, have I? Nor have I attacked anything you have offered as YOUR opinion, have I? To say that we have a horrible history as a program because I, personally, support Frank Martin? Really? Anyway... moving on.
    “What draws people to be friends is that they see the same truth. They share it.”
    ― C.S. Lewis

  15. #55
    Buckle up, BOOM Comin' SCohioBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    4,164

    Default Re: Felipe Hasse Transferring

    The mindset is sad. We should just be happy that he has had one good season because we have “never done better in the past”? My comment wasn’t an attack on you, just stating that the mindset is what has kept us from doing well.

    Name me another power 5 coach in the last 8 years that still has their job after only making in the NCAAs once in that time frame?
    "We played the State Championship in a place called Death Valley," he said. "I looked up in the fourth quarter and the only ones still alive were the Gamecocks."--SOS

  16. #56
    Hoops Fanatic doublea1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    530

    Default Re: Felipe Hasse Transferring

    Quote Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
    The mindset is sad. We should just be happy that he has had one good season because we have “never done better in the past”? My comment wasn’t an attack on you, just stating that the mindset is what has kept us from doing well.

    Name me another power 5 coach in the last 8 years that still has their job after only making in the NCAAs once in that time frame?
    Look... I'm seriously NOT trying to argue with you. But since you asked the question, how about Pat Chambers at Penn State (Big 10). He's been coach there since 2011, and has not been to the NCAA Tournament at all during his time at Penn State. He DID win the NIT championship in 2017-18. There's also Ben Howland (Miss. St.), who has not completed an 8 year cycle, but he's only been to the NCAA Tourney once since he took over the program in 2015-16 (they exited in 2018-19 in the round of 64). There's also Brad Brownell at Clemson. He started in 2010-11. He made the tournament in his first season, but in the subsequent seasons has only made it back in 2017-18. Josh Pastner at Georgia Tech has not made the NCAA Tournament yet, and he's been coaching at GA Tech since 2016 (so hasn't completed the 8 year cycle you mentioned). Jerrod Haase is another one (at Stanford) who has not yet taken his team to the NCAAs. He's been there since 2016 as well. Jim Christian at Boston College is another one who hasn't taken his team to the NCAAs (began at BC in 2014-15). Danny Manning has only had one appearance at Wake Forest since 2014-15.

    So there are a number of coaches who have held their jobs less than 8 years, but have only been one time. But there IS another coach who has retained his position despite not making the NCAA Tournament.
    “What draws people to be friends is that they see the same truth. They share it.”
    ― C.S. Lewis

  17. #57
    Buckle up, BOOM Comin' SCohioBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    4,164

    Default Re: Felipe Hasse Transferring

    First asking a question is not an argument.

    So basically one coach, but we won the NIT. Look if Frank doesn’t get this team to the NCAAs it time to cut bait. The coach should not be bigger than the program, sadly for many fans here, frank has done that.
    "We played the State Championship in a place called Death Valley," he said. "I looked up in the fourth quarter and the only ones still alive were the Gamecocks."--SOS

  18. #58
    1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mt. Pleasant
    Posts
    12,122

    Default Re: Felipe Hasse Transferring

    Quote Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
    I


    So for $3M a year you are ok with 1 NCAA in 8 years??
    Even Frank supporters (like me) are not happy with that. But....

    He has only been here 7 years.
    He essentially started from scratch, thanks to his predecessor, and had to scramble his first year just to find a few recruits. So he deserves a pass for the first few years.
    The 2015-2016 team had the record (but not the pedigree) to make the tournament.
    The 2016-2017 team made the Final Four - and might have done even better if Sin had not gotten sick before the semifinal.
    The 2017-2018 team had the talent to make it - if we had a viable option at PG. That is ultimately Frank's fault, but he had three good options that dissipated due to injury, suspension, and early NBA entry.
    The 2018-2019 team had the talent to make it - except for an excessive number of injuries and ineligible players.
    He has put together some of our best seasons in the SEC and we have been more than competitive, year in and year out.

    I expect to make the tournament this year - we have too much talent and no major holes. Center is a little worrisome, but we are still okay and I expect Frank will look at some grad transfers to shore it up. Making the NCAA will eliminate the main complaint - every other metric with Frank's record here is Aces.

  19. #59
    Starter SheckWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Buckhead
    Posts
    1,329

    Default Re: Felipe Hasse Transferring

    I don’t think we make the tourney next year but hope I’m wrong
    GeoCocky was right, GSW did not beat the Bucks in 5 in the finals

  20. #60
    Starter Spur20001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Greenwood, South Carolina
    Posts
    1,298

    Default Re: Felipe Hasse Transferring

    In addition to making our only Final Four and doing well in the SEC over the past few years (yes, he definitly gets a pass for his 1st three years and for very good reason) he has tied and set the school record for most wins in a season. This past season we would have been going to the playoffs if not for having so few players as we averaged having only 7 or 8 healthy bodies per game. Don't forget how much this also hurt us in practice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •