Thread: *** Gamecocks @ Missouri Game 3 Thread ***

The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar

Default *** Gamecocks @ Missouri Game 3 Thread ***

The Gamecocks try to salvage a win in the series and avoid the sweep.
    Game is at 3:00 PM ET (2:00 CT) on SECN+, with radio on the Gamecocks Sports Network with Derek and Tommy on the call.

South Carolina TBA
    MIssouri TBA

Television http://www.espn.com/watch/_/id/34998...na-vs-missouri
    Radio
    https://tunein.com/radio/South-Carol...2019-p1219559/
    Stats https://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=249993

I can't find any discussion on either official twitters who the starters for this game will be. Will update once someone spills the beans.....

Default Re: *** Gamecocks @ Missouri Game 3 Thread ***

5-4 Gamecocks, bottom 4th. TJ Shook started the game, but only pitched 0.2 of an inning before coming out with an undisclosed injury. Brett Kerry has pitched since, and he's thrown a LOT of pitches, but is still on the mound....

7-7, bottom 7th.....

You know, Missouri is supposed to have a solid pitching team this season. Their offense isn't really that great this season, coming into the series hitting around .250 as a team. But against our pitching, they are hitting over .400 for the series. We just cannot stop them at all......

We were up 7-6, but then Bridges comes in, and first batter triples, and next thing you know, it's tied.

bottom 7th, lead-off batter singles off Sawyer, next guy homers. now 9-7 Tigers. Eight batters faced, 5 hits, 3 runs.....

Game is called due to weather, and Missouri wins it 9-7 in 7 innings, and takes the sweep of our Gamecocks.....

Welp, we are taking it on the chin this year but I believe Kingston will get it figured out. Let's put it this way if I'm a season ticket holder and if I lived in Cola town, I'm still at the ballpark erry day! #GOCOCKS

We went 0-3 against Missouri - that's all 3 games where we were in them for substantial portions of the games, only to fall apart in late innings when our bullpen struggled to contain the Tigers. In Game #1, it was tied 2-2 in the bottom 6th, but Mizzou takes a 1-run lead, and then adds 2 more in the bottom 7th, to win going away 5-2.

In Game #2, it looks like we were totally dominated, and in truth we were, in a 11-0 white-wash, but it was actually 1-0 Mizzou in the bottom 7th, until we totally imploded giving up 8 runs to kill any chances.

Now today, we actually have the lead this time, but are unable to hold it before giving up 3 quick runs ahead of the weather. IMO, we just need to use the rest of this season as scrimmaging practice, and coach, coach, coach the players to learn how to hit and pitch, because they surely do not know how against SEC competition. We don't really have much left of the season to salvage, anyways. Start building for a more competitive team for next season....

Official Baseball Chick USCBatgirl21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
    only to fall apart in late innings when our bullpen struggled to contain the...
    My father and I were talking Saturday during Little Man's birthday dinner. We have at least 10-12 more wins on our record if the bullpen doesn't blow it late.
    What can I say...
    I swear like a sailor & use please and thank you like a saint...
    I'm complicated

Kingston is only 15 players away from being successful. Can’t rely on coaching or training.

Quote Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord View Post
    Welp, we are taking it on the chin this year but I believe Kingston will get it figured out. Let's put it this way if I'm a season ticket holder and if I lived in Cola town, I'm still at the ballpark erry day! #GOCOCKS
    What makes you think Kingston will figure it out? Not being confrontational, just curious. He looks just as lost as his players, to me.

I was pretty excited about our season before SEC play and then work got real busy for me once SEC play started.

I thought I would catch an occasional game when I could, but we never pulled out of the skid. So I haven't watched many of the SEC games. Most of my understanding comes from the opinions of others.

I have always been the proverbial sunshine-pumper, but, damn, this just blows chunks.

Exactly what did everyone expect when we are using situational pitchers as weekend starters?

Official Baseball Chick USCBatgirl21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
    Exactly what did everyone expect when we are using situational pitchers as weekend starters?
    This.
    What can I say...
    I swear like a sailor & use please and thank you like a saint...
    I'm complicated

I know our pitching staff has had injuries but I do wonder if Skylar Meade is in over his head. I almost can’t imagine putting together a pitching staff this bad
    Q:Why did the Rooster cross the road?
    A:To kick a Tiger's Ass

Quote Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
    I know our pitching staff has had injuries but I do wonder if Skylar Meade is in over his head. I almost can’t imagine putting together a pitching staff this bad
    We are asking guys, that were supposed to be one or 2 inning pitchers, to not only go 6 to 7 innings but also go head to head against pitchers from arguably the toughest baseball confrence in the land. No pitching coach can overcome that.

Quote Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
    We are asking guys, that were supposed to be one or 2 inning pitchers, to not only go 6 to 7 innings but also go head to head against pitchers from arguably the toughest baseball confrence in the land. No pitching coach can overcome that.
    Injuries certainly play a part but we were 10th in ERA in 2018 and 12th this year. Neither of those are good enough to win consistently. Someone has to take some responsibility for putting a staff together that has so few real starters and so little bull pin. Really need to turn this staff around.

On a side note, We lead the league in HRs by a wide margin but are dead last in the league in average, runs scored, and strike outs. Eek
    Q:Why did the Rooster cross the road?
    A:To kick a Tiger's Ass

Quote Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
    Injuries certainly play a part but we were 10th in ERA in 2018 and 12th this year. Neither of those are good enough to win consistently. Someone has to take some responsibility for putting a staff together that has so few real starters and so little bull pin. Really need to turn this staff around.

On a side note, We lead the league in HRs by a wide margin but are dead last in the league in average, runs scored, and strike outs. Eek
    Didn't we finish in the final 16 in 2008? Not shabby if your pitching is capable of helping a team get to the super regional.