Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preview 2019: South Carolina. 5 Things You Need To Know, Season Prediction

Default Preview 2019: South Carolina. 5 Things You Need To Know, Season Prediction

Another way to early know it all.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019...n-players-2019

5 pages of pretty good stuff

Best South Carolina Offensive Player

QB Jake Bentley, Sr.

Best South Carolina Defensive Player

LB TJ Brunson, Sr.
    I Scream
    You Scream
    The Police Come
    Its Awkward

Default Re: Preview 2019: South Carolina. 5 Things You Need To Know, Season Prediction

We are going to be extraordinarily average.
    I'm only here for the reputation points.

Default Re: Preview 2019: South Carolina. 5 Things You Need To Know, Season Prediction

We'll be the best 7-5 team in college football, which is the most South Carolina phrase ever.

I would be very happy with 7-5 + a bowl win to be 8-5, given the schedule.
    University of South Carolina '19

Whut?!!!
    Edwards is the best offensive player. Hilinski hasn't even taken a snap. Stanley and Wonnum will be among the top 5 offensive players.
    Wonnum and Brunson are the 2 top defenders if I made a list. Kinlaw would be in contention as well. Inagbare will be ahead of any of the linebackers except Brunson. Unless Greene steps up his game, he will be fighting for playing time.

1st Team All-American crowcutta's Avatar

id prefer special teams wasnt included in offense or defense rankings, but regardless those rankings are off. edwards at this point is definitely the best offensive player. id round it out with bentley, shi, stanley and wonnum in no order. defense wonnum, kinlaw, brunson, horn, the 5 spot is where it can be tricky. it could be any number of guys, ideally we reach the point this year that we're arguing over if its inagbare, a designated pass rusher whether thats a de or dt, whoever is our 2nd starting dt, the lb starting next to brunson, at least one safety and roderick. we get to the point where we have that kind of quality top end play and noone dragging the unit completely down then we should have really good defense.

Quote Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
    id prefer special teams wasnt included in offense or defense rankings, but regardless those rankings are off. edwards at this point is definitely the best offensive player. id round it out with bentley, shi, stanley and wonnum in no order. defense wonnum, kinlaw, brunson, horn, the 5 spot is where it can be tricky. it could be any number of guys, ideally we reach the point this year that we're arguing over if its inagbare, a designated pass rusher whether thats a de or dt, whoever is our 2nd starting dt, the lb starting next to brunson, at least one safety and roderick. we get to the point where we have that kind of quality top end play and noone dragging the unit completely down then we should have really good defense.
    I left Roderick and Horn off my top five D list, though I intended to include them. Thanks.
    I suspect we may see Mukuamu and Cook develop nicely. Would be nice to see a boss secondary and strong DL sandwiching the LB group and hopefully making the whole D a force..

I read it all, seems fairly spot on, except I label Kentucky the key to a successful season. We've lost to those hicks 5 years in a row and there's no excuse for that. No team should ever lose to Kentucky in football for five consecutive years. We need to beat them, if we do, that signals improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
    I suspect we may see Mukuamu and Cook develop nicely.
    Im a bit concerned about Cook.

Champ mentioned a few times this Spring comments along the line of that Cook wasn’t applying himself 100%, wasn’t focusing at times, and wasn’t doing everything that was asked of him at times.

Hope the guy steps it up....

Quote Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
    Whut?!!!
    Edwards is the best offensive player. Hilinski hasn't even taken a snap. Stanley and Wonnum will be among the top 5 offensive players.
    ...and not a single RB on anyone's list.

Heisman Candidate carolina_corpsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ra742002 View Post
    I read it all, seems fairly spot on, except I label Kentucky the key to a successful season. We've lost to those hicks 5 years in a row and there's no excuse for that. No team should ever lose to Kentucky in football for five consecutive years. We need to beat them, if we do, that signals improvement.
    We need to get that particular monkey off our back this season.

Quote Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
    We need to get that particular monkey off our back this season.
    It's been said multiple times, but can't be stated enough: if you want to compete in the SEC, you can't be losing to Kentucky consistently. Every blind squirrel finds a nut, but five in a row is ridiculous. That being said, they lose a lot this year and they come to Columbia. We should be able to pull it off with the talent we're supposed to have this year. Assuming we beat UNC, CSU and Missouri, starting 4-1 heading into Athens would be huge. October is when murder's row starts.

Seems pretty high on the defense. Barrett Sallee of CBS Sports was writing about how our defense may be the most surprising unit in the conference (in a good way). I do think the added depth on the defensive line should allow more pressure and gives T-Rob and Muschamp the ability to play more press man in the secondary to force turnovers. The linebackers do need a bounce back year, specifically Greene.

To me, this season is all about establishing yourself in the top three of the SEC East. To do that, they need to beat Kentucky, Missouri and Tennessee. Those will probably be close games but they would go along way in holding steady in the division and something Muschamp can show the fan base that they’re improving. It’s time to end the streak against UK and winning in Knoxville, beating UT for the 4th time in a row, would be huge. I think fans would be fairly happy with that.

It's time for a big win.

Quote Originally Posted by wincocks84 View Post
    It's time for a big win.
    Kentucky at home?
    I'm only here for the reputation points.

Heisman Candidate carolina_corpsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
    Kentucky at home?

The fact that beating Kensucky at home could be called a big win is a sad statement on the state of the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
    Kentucky at home?
    Yeah. I think we will get them this year. I believe we can sneak one away from Bama, UGA, or Clemson. I think we can split UF and A&M, and probably drop one to Mizzou or UT.

Quote Originally Posted by wincocks84 View Post
    Yeah. I think we will get them this year. I believe we can sneak one away from Bama, UGA, or Clemson. I think we can split UF and A&M, and probably drop one to Mizzou or UT.
    I would take a loss to Missouri if it meant beating Clemson/UGA/Bama and Florida.

Our schedule is rated the toughest in the country. It's hard to imagine us winning more than 6-7 games. I like some of the talent on the team, it's definitely SEC quality but we need more turnovers on D. Our offense looked great up until the Toledo game and obviously the bowl game. We did put up 35 on Clemson, with a chance at two other scores. It would go a long way in beating UNC in Charlotte. We have to get UK at home and Mizzou on the road.
    Last edited by treyno2722; 05-11-2019 at 06:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spurfan93 View Post
    Seems pretty high on the defense. Barrett Sallee of CBS Sports was writing about how our defense may be the most surprising unit in the conference (in a good way). I do think the added depth on the defensive line should allow more pressure and gives T-Rob and Muschamp the ability to play more press man in the secondary to force turnovers. The linebackers do need a bounce back year, specifically Greene.

To me, this season is all about establishing yourself in the top three of the SEC East. To do that, they need to beat Kentucky, Missouri and Tennessee. Those will probably be close games but they would go along way in holding steady in the division and something Muschamp can show the fan base that they’re improving. It’s time to end the streak against UK and winning in Knoxville, beating UT for the 4th time in a row, would be huge. I think fans would be fairly happy with that.
    I'm looking forward to seeing a Muschamp defense that can control a game. I know it takes time (and we were at the bottom when he got here) but this is year #4. If this defense doesn't show big improvement this year the chances it ever will are slim.

I feel like the offense has some weapons and can score some points. But the running game has to improve so the passing game can force defenses out of zone coverage.

So the keys for me will be (1) a fierce defense which forces opponents into TOs or 3 and outs, and (2) an improved running game to help the passing game.

I think with all the drama surrounding Florida, that game could become a little bit easier. However, best case is still 8-4, worst case 6-6.