Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Frank Martin has grad transfer Post player on campus

Default Re: Frank Martin has grad transfer Post player on campus

Quote Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
    He fits what is missing from the team though. We don't have a rim protector.

We aren't going to be asking the guy to score. He just needs to be an enforcer on defense and rebound which he is clearly capable of doing.
    what are you basing your analysis on? Have you watched him play much?

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
    The Ohio Valley is a mid-major, not low major, conference.

The OVC got two teams in the NCAA last year (low majors get the one automatic bid) and had a strong case for a 3rd team. They went 2-2 in the tournament. One of their teams had a better player from SC than we did - Murray State with future high NBA pick Ja Morant.

We pick up some bulk, shot-blocking ability, experience - and 5 fouls to give. Solid pick-up even if he can't beat out Kotsar/Leveque for the starting job. The FT percentage is a concern but he shoots well over 50% from the floor and is a good offensive rebounder.
    I think he will likely start alongside Kotsar in the early season. If Leveque can learn fast enough then Henry will play more of a substitute role later in the season. The key for us is to avoid injuries. FT shooting by our big men is also a concern. Kotsar and Henry should be practicing FTs like DJ practices putting. (2 hours every day)

I forgot about McCreary and Frink. They can both play inside. Bryant can too in a pinch - though that limits the use of his athleticism. I do NOT want to see Martin try to make him into a post player. That's not where his (Bryant) future lies.

1st Team All-American crowcutta's Avatar

with more of a glut of wings and smaller guards i think you will see us try and run a 4 small lineup like we did at times with thornwell. we're not gonna turn bryant into a pure post player, but i would like to see him get some post touches if theres a favorable matchup.

no idea how effective henry will be in the low post, but to echo earlier comments the most important thing he can provide for us is defense, rebounding, and hopefully an ability to finish around the rim. thats not to say we wont be able to drop the ball into him in the post, but its not likely he'd be our no.1 option.

When he was HC at Stephen F. Austin, Brad Underwood had a 6'4' player named Thomas Walkup that he used as a G/F due to injuries to bigs in the 2015-16 season.

SFA was 28-6 that year and fell 76-75 in the Second Round of the NCAAT to Notre Dame.

I tend to believe Frank will try something like Underwood did at SFA with our players in 2019-20 because the static bigs just haven't worked out that well.

It will probably be a more mobile system than what we have seen in the past with Frank's teams. Brad made it work at SFA.

Quote Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
    with more of a glut of wings and smaller guards i think you will see us try and run a 4 small lineup like we did at times with thornwell. we're not gonna turn bryant into a pure post player, but i would like to see him get some post touches if theres a favorable matchup.

no idea how effective henry will be in the low post, but to echo earlier comments the most important thing he can provide for us is defense, rebounding, and hopefully an ability to finish around the rim. thats not to say we wont be able to drop the ball into him in the post, but its not likely he'd be our no.1 option.
    I watched some Youtube videos of his games last year against Michigan State and UNC. Granted, those are two very good teams, but one-on-one, Nick Ward absolutely owned Henry in that game. Ward is listed at 6'9" and 245 so they are about the same size, but he plays bigger and stronger than Henry. Against UNC Henry was a little more effective. (and I didn't watch the whole game - just parts of both)

That's the kind of competition Henry will face in almost every game for us next season. My expectations are someone muted. I think, as you said above, if he can help with rebounding and defense it will give us a better post presence than with just Kotsar and a true freshman.

Henry was #2 in blocked shots and #5 in FG% in the OVC. He is not a superstar but a player who fills a much needed void.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur20001 View Post
    Henry was #2 in blocked shots and #5 in FG% in the OVC. He is not a superstar but a player who fills a much needed void.
    I hope so.

His team scored 33 points against MSU in November 2018. He had 6 points (leading scorer), 2 rebounds and 1 blocked shot.

Against UNC he had 20 points and 5 rebounds.

1st Team All-American Cockhornleghorn's Avatar

With more talent around him, who knows what he can do?

2nd Team All-SEC Senior Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
    With more talent around him, who knows what he can do?
    DITTO!!!!

OORAH!!!!!!!