Thread: JUST SO I CAN BRAG

Default JUST SO I CAN BRAG

This past weekend they had the State Qualifying Track Meet at Spring Valley
    High School. I have a granddaughter who runs long distance events for South
    Florence HS and participated in this meet. She and her two sisters (besides
    my wife) are the most important things in my life. She (Kiley), being the oldest
    has always been close to me and my wife, and her and I have a definite
    bond since the day I first saw her after her birth. As she's gotten into her
    Teen years she has called and talked to me to get advice and just to get stuff
    off her chest when she wants an outside opinion other than mom or dad. She's
    been through a rough few years with the split of her mom and dad and without
    going into the details, she's going through some rough times due to that split.
    One of the ways she's dealt with it is that she got into running back in the
    fifth grade with a teacher who ran with her and a small ground of kids after
    school. She also runs Cross Country and it helps her deal with life.

She's done extremely well this entire year for her first time running as a freshman
    and it's something she plans on sticking with through the rest of her HS years.
    She just missed out making the qualifying time on the team event she ran that
    morning ( 4 X 3200 relay) and she did not make the cut on the two mile ( 3200 meters)
    the following Monday ( due to storms delaying the full event on Saturday), but regardless
    she did my wife and I proud by finishing up a very successful (Personal) season and
    for her outlook on the events she's having to deal with. She is focused on getting
    better at running,and for getting to college through sports or through academics. She is
    very strong in her will and her drive to make a good life for herself as she becomes
    a young woman. She did me proud (once again) this weekend.
    Last edited by Spurticus; 05-10-2019 at 05:35 AM.

Default Re: JUST SO I CAN BRAG

Sounds like a good kid, Spurt. Hope all the best for her in the future. Stay proud!!

2nd Team All-SEC Senior Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CockyCody View Post
    Sounds like a good kid, Spurt. Hope all the best for her in the future. Stay proud!!
    DITTO!!!

OORAH!!!!!!!

Good for her to have high goals and working towards them. I have a cousin that goes to the same school and Rhee girls tennis team.

Quote Originally Posted by CockyCody View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Senior Rooster View Post
    DITTO!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gocockswyn View Post
    Good for her to have high goals and working towards them. I have a cousin that goes to the same school and Rhee girls tennis team.
    Thanks guys appreciate the comments / well wishes.

This past weekend made me realize how much I admire Kiley for what she is doing now and what
    she's going through and still doing well in school and with her athletic pursuits. Last Saturday was
    one of the hottest spring days on recent record here in Columbia, and the humidity was in the upper
    90s. They were expecting bad weather to move in in the afternoon so they moved the schedule up
    an hour. My wife and I got at SV HS at 8:00 that morning and by 10:AM I was already starting to
    burn and feel like an Ice Cream cone that had been dropped on a hot asphalt road.
    We watched Kiley run the relay at 9:15 and her mom told us she didn't run the 3200 until 5:15 that
    afternoon. .. but I stayed in the sun and humidity to talk to her and keep encouraging her to just
    do her best.
    The storms moved in at 3:PM and they cleared the stadium and we had about a 2 1/2 hour delay
    there. We got back in and looked like it was going to run into early evening before Kiley ran her
    other event. Just before her group took the track, they held up the start and said there was more
    bad weather coming in and it was almost on top of us. ... two minutes later the heaven's opened up
    and the rest of the meet was cancelled until Monday at 6: PM. .... I was wet, sunburned and aching
    from waist to ankles, but I left work a half hour early Monday to get to SV and finish watching my
    Granddaughter complete her season. .. She didn't make it to the state meet, but I was no less proud
    of her than if she had gotten to run one more big event this year. She was worth every second of that
    weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by gocockswyn View Post
    Cool. If you see her again, ask her if she knows Kiley Meadows. If she doesn't know her personaly
    I'm sure she's seen Kiley there. She's hard to miss. Kiley is almost 6 ft. tall and still growing.

You should be proud! I believe you brought the granddaughters to one of the spring practices. Hard to believe they are in high school!

Quote Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
    You should be proud! I believe you brought the granddaughters to one of the spring practices. Hard to believe they are in high school!
    We did. All of them are Gamecock fans, but Kiley (the oldest) says she wants to go to school here. She's hoping
    for a track scholarship, but if not she wants to attend the university either out right, or through starting out at
    a Tech school, Junior college or satellite campus, then transferring to USC to finish and graduate here. I've told
    her that regardless if she gets to attend here or not, to just stay focused on getting into college and continuing
    her education after HS.