Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Defensive Depth Chart

Default Re: Defensive Depth Chart

Quote Originally Posted by 2k15 View Post
    Jam is our most versatile DB. He will start at nickel, but will be able to make the shift to corner or safety if we have injuries. Cam Smith should also be good as well, reports say. I feel as though there's a solid 2-deep at corner. But in general, yes, Horn and Mukuamu are our veteran leaders at that position.
    Jam has UNDERWHELMED thus far. I do not think he is nearly as talented as most of the newcomer db's. Until he shows me that he can actually play, I have no reason to believe he will be anything other than a spare part.
    As for CWM saying that Turner is the third best cb on the roster, that's because the newcomers haven't gotten there yet. Come August, I guarantee Turner is no longer the third best cb option...

Tact is for those who are not witty enough for Sarcasm...

The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
    Muschamp has said the next guy on the depth chart right now (behind Horn and Mukuamu) is AJ Turner. That's very telling.
    When Coach Muschamp said that, to Heath Cline on his radio show on April 8th, he said "A.J. Turner is our third corner and right now he’s also playing running back for us. His primary position is going to be running back, but he’s going to play corner for us this year.”

Others have added "best" to what Muschamp said, for their own subjective reasons that we can only guess at. But when CWM made that statement, we had three (3) players ready to go that could play corner for us: Horn, Mukuama, and AJ, as our....um, third CB. We do also have walk-on CB Jordan Villafane, but he only walked onto the team this spring, and certainly was not ready to go...

We need Smith and Dixon to come in and quickly gain ground in the system, because they will play heavily this season if healthy. Experienced depth at CB will be an issue, and if either Horn or Mukuamu sustain any substantial injury, we're right back to last year, in terms of the position (safety may be in better shape). And also "right now" AJ along with Denson represents our two best players at RB, so unless Rico can have a healthy year, or the other younger backs can step up this season, we may need Turner on offense as much if not more than we'll need him for depth on defense....

1st Team All-American crowcutta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
    Jam has UNDERWHELMED thus far. I do not think he is nearly as talented as most of the newcomer db's. Until he shows me that he can actually play, I have no reason to believe he will be anything other than a spare part.
    would you rather have montac back? i think he'll start if he's healthy because of his coverage versatility. i thought he looked alright at safety last year though its not like ive charted his snaps. he is willing to put his body on the line, but thats also a concern with his lack of size.

Quote Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
    would you rather have montac back? i think he'll start if he's healthy because of his coverage versatility. i thought he looked alright at safety last year though its not like ive charted his snaps. he is willing to put his body on the line, but thats also a concern with his lack of size.
    I thought Montac was a great Gamecock. 2 star player that nobody wanted coming into college, and a defensive veteran and leader his last couple years here. He was a smart player.
    Do ya thing

Our DL is going to be legit this year. We finally have the depth to go toe to toe for all four quarters.

Quote Originally Posted by wincocks84 View Post
    Our DL is going to be legit this year. We finally have the depth to go toe to toe for all four quarters.
    They've got potential. They are probably our best recruited position but it's still all potential. I'm personally not making any statements with as much certainty until I see them play an SEC foe.
    My Gamecock Record: (25-17)

outside of Kinlaw I don't think we have the size or explosiveness to scare anyone up front unless these underclassmen take major steps forward

Quote Originally Posted by Harris7x View Post
    outside of Kinlaw I don't think we have the size or explosiveness to scare anyone up front unless these underclassmen take major steps forward
    I think the opposite is true. I'm pretty sure we have a front 3 deep that can wear down most opponents we face. If the second level picks it up significantly, our young secondary can grow into a force. I think we may need to use Fennell at LB, and Let the other 2 upperclassmen bucks handle that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Harris7x View Post
    nope. we are stacked. Best position on the entire team.
    Do ya thing