Thread: Defensive Depth Chart

Default Defensive Depth Chart

I was wondering what insight people had on our defensive depth this year. We were quite thin last year, and when the injuries started to plague us, our defense quickly turned into a bunch of true freshmen trying to keep up on the field.

While that wasn't much fun to watch last season, the good news is that our starters are all back, we have a wealth of young players with game experience from last year, and we didn't lose anyone particularly significant to graduation (besides BAW). So, hopefully, this should translate to a competitive defense that has quality depth for this season.

Taking a look:

Defensive Line:

DE: D. Wonnum (B. Johnson, K. Enagbare)
    DT: J. Kinlaw (K. Smith, J. Sorrells)
    DT: R. Sandidge (Z. Pickens)
    DE: K. Thomas (A. Sterling, J. Anderson)

Linebackers:

OLB: D. Fennell (D. Boykins)
    MLB: T. Brunson (E. Jones)
    ILB: S. Greene (R. Louis)

Defensive Backs:

CB: J. Horn (C. Smith)
    CB: I. Mukuamu (A. Turner, J. Dixon)
    N: J. Williams (J. Robinson)
    SS: J. Ibe (J. Williams, J. Robinson)
    FS: R. Roderick (J. Dickerson, J. Cook)

Overall, it's solid. Defensive Line is likely our best position, depth-wise. A lot of experience, talent, and size to go around. The defensive backs have a talented and experienced starting 5, but there's not much competition behind them. I will say I believe that the injuries from last year ended up benefitting our linebackers the most. All six of those guys mentioned above got significant playing time, and we got to see who showed up on the field as a potential option moving forward. I have a lot of faith in Ernest Jones, and Boykins looked pretty good as well last season. Greene and Brunson are definitely the leaders of the pack. We also have a lot of young talent at cornerback. We will likely see Cam Smith in a significant amount this season. It was also good that Jaylin Dickerson was able to play a few games at the end of the season last year, as he's showed solid and steady progression. He should be a competent backup at safety.
    Do ya thing

Default Re: Defensive Depth Chart

Depth looks way better in 2019.. I expect Cook to play a ton in the secondary... hes a baller.

Pretty good picks. I'd add Eldridge Thompson into the LB mix at the WILL, too, assuming he's fully recovered. He wasn't great 2 years ago, but he's got speed and some experience.

Nm

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

Don't forget Devontae Davis, Jabari Ellis and Tyreek Johnson. Ellis and Davis both have good size and you do not bring in JUCOs to sit - Ellis RSed last year and Davis came in early and practiced for the Belk Bowl, so they should be ready.

Tyreek grayshirted and then had a knee injury during Fall practice - I expect he is ready to show what he can do. In addition to the two JUCO DL, Eldridge Thompson should play a good bit as a 6th year Senior.

Depth is a LOT better.

Let's see how the injury situation plays out. All of the above could change if people are not healthy or we have fresh injuries.

I guess I'm in show me mode after the way last season ended.

Heisman Candidate carolina_corpsman's Avatar

It seems like the last few years we have had to rely on freshmen and true freshmen for production on both sides of the ball. While it is at times hard to watch, this year and even more so 2020/2021 is going to have a lot of players with a lot of SEC experiance.

1st Team All-American crowcutta's Avatar

id switch roderick and jamyest based on where they lined up in the spring and how the coaches want to get more physical at the nickel position. if cook can do what the coaches ask and limit the coverage busts he seems like a real threat to win either safety spot. it may change based on opponent but in general i hope its a enagbare/thomas battle at de and they try to make sterling more of a designated pass rusher. if we can stay relatively healthy we have a lot more options for a potential rabbits package.

I watched a video of CWM last night talking about our D and he was saying how deep we are with lots of quality. I agree that we look much better than 2 years ago. We will need our offense to pick it up if we are going to have a good season, just based on our tough schedule.

JD

I have not heard much about Gipson at all and I thought they were pretty high on him when he came in also I think by the end of this season the starters at linebacker will look different. If he makes some steps I think Boykins is in that lineup as a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by longhaul View Post
    I have not heard much about Gipson at all and I thought they were pretty high on him when he came in also I think by the end of this season the starters at linebacker will look different. If he makes some steps I think Boykins is in that lineup as a starter.
    They were very high on Gipson. He injured his shoulder and took a redshirt although he did play in a few games due to the new rules. It was hard to make a good analysis of his play but if he is healthy I would expect him to provide some quality depth

Another name I don't see above - Damani Staley. Any thoughts on him. I think he's at LB.

I think Cam will have the majority of snaps at Nickel by the end of the season. Don't really see Jam playing too much outside of our dime packages given Roderick's, Jackson's, and Cook's upside.

Really excited to see the different looks CWM will give us on the front 7 since we have a good bit of players that can play inside and out.
    How many kids are going to listen to Dabo say "aw shucks, if yew join ush, I'll promise yuh a natty ring and a fifty grayund, hyuk hyuk..." - 2k15

We need Horn and Mukuamu to stay healthy. CB is thin.

LBs need to be able to stop the run.. if they can we will be set

Quote Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
    Jam is our most versatile DB. He will start at nickel, but will be able to make the shift to corner or safety if we have injuries. Cam Smith should also be good as well, reports say. I feel as though there's a solid 2-deep at corner. But in general, yes, Horn and Mukuamu are our veteran leaders at that position.
    Do ya thing

If we can add Feaster then I hope AJ Turner can give lots of quality snaps at cb

Quote Originally Posted by 2k15 View Post
    Jam is our most versatile DB. He will start at nickel, but will be able to make the shift to corner or safety if we have injuries. Cam Smith should also be good as well, reports say. I feel as though there's a solid 2-deep at corner. But in general, yes, Horn and Mukuamu are our veteran leaders at that position.
    Muschamp has said the next guy on the depth chart right now (behind Horn and Mukuamu) is AJ Turner. That's very telling.

Muschamp has said the next guy on the depth chart right now (behind Horn and Mukuamu) is AJ Turner. That's very telling.
    Agreed, however itís either we are weak there or AJ has taken well to the position. He has the speed, size, and most importantly smarts. Iím not saying itís the case, but I do think AJ is a good athlete and a leader on the team who I hope to see contribute in a big way.