Thread: White Squirrel Festival

Default White Squirrel Festival

Planning on attending Memorial Day weekend in Brevard.Anyone else going?

Default Re: White Squirrel Festival

I am not going but I wish I was going....that looks awesome and Brevard is a fantastic place. My boys go to camp in brevard as we will be there 3 of the next 4 weekends. I love the vibe of Brevard! I am jealous! Have some Oskar Blues for me!

Hmm..........White Squirrel Festival? I am sure it isn't what 1st came to my mind! Have fun anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
    I am not going but I wish I was going....that looks awesome and Brevard is a fantastic place. My boys go to camp in brevard as we will be there 3 of the next 4 weekends. I love the vibe of Brevard! I am jealous! Have some Oskar Blues for me!
    Have you ever done any hiking in Panthertown Valley?Do you have any favorite hikes/excursions in that area?

Quote Originally Posted by zappa View Post
    Have you ever done any hiking in Panthertown Valley?Do you have any favorite hikes/excursions in that area?
    will you be with older/younger people? One of the most cool things to do in that area is to go by sliding rock (maybe 4-5 miles from downtown). It is great assuming that the weather is warm.

If you don't mind a drive, you could do the zen tubing up closer to the WNC airport. It is a ton of fun!

There area a lot of falls there in the Pisgah that are fun to hike to and wade/swim. Looking glass and Triple Falls are some good ones but not really all the much of a hike to get to them.

Panthertown is an awesome area with tons of trails to lots of waterfalls. There is another fun place to hike that I just can't remember the name but it is up on the Blue Ridge Parkway right out from Brevard.

My son swears by a place called Looking Glass Rock...I have not been there but he has done it each summer at camp. Apparently it is pretty awesome views from the top. That is another day hike to look into...

If you are into Mountain biking, there are tons of trails and rental places. Oskar Blues even has a track at their brewery I believe that they allow the boys camp to use from time to time. Dale, the guy who owns Oskar Blues is a big time cycling enthusiast and even owns a bike company called REEB (beer spelled backwards). He is a hell of a nice guy and you would never know who he was if you met him!

And finally if you have time and have not already done so, grab a meal at Sierra Nevada brewing and be sure to go upstairs for the high gravity beers as well. The beer is pretty good but the food and ambiance are great IMO

Thanks.We’ve used the tubing outfit near Rosman several times and have done Pisgah,from Brevard to the parkway,to death.I’m looking forward to going back to Ecusta Brewing.We also found a place last summer,Peaks and Creeks,But I hear they closed.During the last hurricane we found a place in Etowah,Sideways Farm brewery,with some cool stuff,particularly a smoky sage farm style ale.Have you done any of the zipline deals?Is it worth the $?

Thanks.We’ve used the tubing outfit near Rosman several times and have done Pisgah,from Brevard to the parkway,to death.I’m looking forward to going back to Ecusta Brewing.We also found a place last summer,Peaks and Creeks,But I hear they closed.During the last hurricane we found a place in Etowah,Sideways Farm brewery,with some cool stuff,particularly a smoky sage farm style ale.Have you done any of the zipline deals?Is it worth the $?
    I have done ziplines but more on my side of Asheville closer to like Mars Hill/Banardsville Area and I think that they are ok...but IMO once you have done one in the area it feels like you have done them all.

I will look up that brewery...I know exactly where Etowah is located so thanks for the Tip! I am pretty bad when it comes to breweries...when in Asheville I hit up Burial and if I have time for the trip I love Fonta Flora over near Morganton

We do quite a bit of tubing on the lower French Broad through Downtown Asheville. We take our own tubes and park at French Broad outfitters and UBER up to the drop off point and we can pay like $5/tube to have them blown up and then float back to our car...makes it much cheaper and no wait lol (I am lazy and cheap)

If you ever get a chance,float from Carolina Hemlock State park,near Mt.Mitchell,down past the swing bridge to the next bridge.You’ll need two vehicles but it’s a great time.We’ve done a few in Saluda too.I would live on an inner tube if my wife would let me.

If you ever get a chance,float from Carolina Hemlock State park,near Mt.Mitchell,down past the swing bridge to the next bridge.You’ll need two vehicles but it’s a great time.We’ve done a few in Saluda too.I would live on an inner tube if my wife would let me.

speaking of Mt Mitchell, you ever played golf at Mt Mitchell Golf Club? It is must be close to where you are talking about as it is also on Highway 80 out from Micaville! We do a guys golf trip over there every August and as we have gotten older, we can't quite make it 36 in a day so this tubing idea would be awesome! Thanks so much! If you ever want a cabin over that way let me know and I will send you the contact info for the one we use. On that golf course, there are several holes where right off the tees you will see rainbows well over a foot long...it is amazing. The course is all bent grass so it is wet as hell but the back nine is worth the price of admission!

The area around Mt Mitchell,Micaville,Burnsville,etc is on my short list to live when I retire.Also seriously considering Johnson City.And Carolina Hemlock,no shit,is a driver and a 3 wood from that golf course.

With apologies to the Beastie Boys...

"I'd rather have to say whoa than giddy-up" - Coach Will Muschamp

I’m going to be up there camping that weekend. Think we’re going into town for the festival. Not sure what to expect.

Zappa, take a look at Headwaters Outfitters if you like being on the river: https://www.headwatersoutfitters.com/. I've never tubed with them, but have kayaked multiple times through them down the French Broad. They're a good outfit, and worth the look if you want some river time.
    Bison

We stumbled across it last year. We’ll be back this year.

Quote Originally Posted by FurmanCock View Post
    Zappa, take a look at Headwaters Outfitters if you like being on the river: https://www.headwatersoutfitters.com/. I've never tubed with them, but have kayaked multiple times through them down the French Broad. They're a good outfit, and worth the look if you want some river time.
    Thanks.We’re gonna kayak with them Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
    We stumbled across it last year. We’ll be back this year.
    I’ll be coming back through Anderson Sunday.Where’s a good place for lunch?

The Smokiní Pig in Pendleton has some great bbq.