Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Players That Must Step UP

Default Players That Must Step UP

In order for USC to have a really good season we will have to have players on both sides of the ball step up and have fantastic years - maybe above and beyond what everyone is thinking about them now.

For me on offense it has to be Jake Bentley at QB. Jake has got to go above what he has shown us in the past. I don't blame him for everything as a lot of it is out of his control. It all starts with Jake and hopefully he will answer the call for his senior year and become the QB that we know he can be.

Bryan Edward at WR. He has to take over and dominate the game like some of our previous WR's have done in the past. He has the talent to do it.

RB's? Someone needs to emerge from this group and be the "man" that we need to be the type of RB that all the other SEC Schools have on their depth chart now. I think we have the talent there to make it happen, we just need someone to step out from the group and take ownership of the position.

O-Line. They all need to step up their game and dominate and get those tough few yards that we have been denied in past seasons. We have the size and depth now to do this, along with a very good O-Line Coach. We need these guys to step up big time in order to have a great year.

D-Line. We need this very talented group to also step up and dominate the other team's offense and get off the field in a hurry (3 & out). We have quality depth, we have very good defensive minded coaches to help them get there and hopefully this will be the year that this group shines out and shuts down the other team for the majority of the game.

LB's? This is another group that really needs to pick up their talent level and get to the next level and help our D-Line get off the field. I hope with the improved D-Line that we have in place now that these LB's will be a lot better at getting to the ball carrier and making the hard stops that we have been missing in the past seasons. Brunson is a quality LB, but he needs help and others to step up their game and help him out.

DB's. I think the talent is here for whatever style defense we play at times, I honestly think we have improved at this position (all DB's & Safeties). Horn, I.M., are solid and I think Cook is going to be a very good player for us. Young talent here that really needs to step up their game to help the core group that we have in place now. I like this group.

Special Teams. Field goals and extra points will be very good as Parker White is getting better each year. Punting was very good last year and I think we will be fine there. Kick-offs, I hope we can put all of them in the end zone to avoid a run back. Special team players. I know our coaching staff tries to put the best players available to them out there, so that being said, I hope we can get someone to do kick-off returns and punt returns that is not one of our best WR's this season. I also hope that our special teams can tackle a good bit better this season and hold down returns of any kind.

2nd Team All-SEC Senior Rooster's Avatar

Default Re: Players That Must Step UP

Quote Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
    In order for USC to have a really good season we will have to have players on both sides of the ball step up and have fantastic years - maybe above and beyond what everyone is thinking about them now.

For me on offense it has to be Jake Bentley at QB. Jake has got to go above what he has shown us in the past. I don't blame him for everything as a lot of it is out of his control. It all starts with Jake and hopefully he will answer the call for his senior year and become the QB that we know he can be.

Bryan Edward at WR. He has to take over and dominate the game like some of our previous WR's have done in the past. He has the talent to do it.

RB's? Someone needs to emerge from this group and be the "man" that we need to be the type of RB that all the other SEC Schools have on their depth chart now. I think we have the talent there to make it happen, we just need someone to step out from the group and take ownership of the position.

O-Line. They all need to step up their game and dominate and get those tough few yards that we have been denied in past seasons. We have the size and depth now to do this, along with a very good O-Line Coach. We need these guys to step up big time in order to have a great year.

D-Line. We need this very talented group to also step up and dominate the other team's offense and get off the field in a hurry (3 & out). We have quality depth, we have very good defensive minded coaches to help them get there and hopefully this will be the year that this group shines out and shuts down the other team for the majority of the game.

LB's? This is another group that really needs to pick up their talent level and get to the next level and help our D-Line get off the field. I hope with the improved D-Line that we have in place now that these LB's will be a lot better at getting to the ball carrier and making the hard stops that we have been missing in the past seasons. Brunson is a quality LB, but he needs help and others to step up their game and help him out.

DB's. I think the talent is here for whatever style defense we play at times, I honestly think we have improved at this position (all DB's & Safeties). Horn, I.M., are solid and I think Cook is going to be a very good player for us. Young talent here that really needs to step up their game to help the core group that we have in place now. I like this group.

Special Teams. Field goals and extra points will be very good as Parker White is getting better each year. Punting was very good last year and I think we will be fine there. Kick-offs, I hope we can put all of them in the end zone to avoid a run back. Special team players. I know our coaching staff tries to put the best players available to them out there, so that being said, I hope we can get someone to do kick-off returns and punt returns that is not one of our best WR's this season. I also hope that our special teams can tackle a good bit better this season and hold down returns of any kind.
    RB would have to be Valentine, Fenwick or Harris. The others are not cutting it. That includes Denson, he may rip off one run, then gets stuffed.

OORAH!!!!!!!

All of them.
    ----------------------------------------------

Heisman Candidate carolina_corpsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cocky0 View Post
    All of them.
    Pretty much.

Just to get specific without bashing any players, Sherrod Greene would head my list. He has a lot of promise, but I didn't see it on the field. I think he will get a lot of corrective coaching before the season starts. Number 2 would be Jake Bentley. He needs to show consistency that matches his skills and talent. He's a very good leader. I hope Rendrecous Davis fixes his catching woes and becomes a solid contributor. A couple of tight ends (not Pollard) will be needed to pick it up to complement what he contributes.
    Outside that, most of my list involves coming back strong from injury or avoiding nagging injuries.

1st Team All-American Cockypantherfan's Avatar

So in short... every position group.

I would agree Sherrod Greene needs to step up and fill the role more than anyone else on the defense. We need another leader at the linebacker position besides Brunson.
    Do ya thing

The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar

I agree with every position as a whole. We have a lot of veteran experience on the team now, and depth has never been better. Also, as with Greene, he wasn't consistent last season, but that can describe pretty much everyone. It was his first season as a main starter, and he finished 2nd on defense in total tackles. That's not too shabby....

Primary ones IMO are Bentley (has the most experience of anyone on the roster), Not just Edwards, but Shi as well, the entire RB group as a unit, and the entire DL in terms of penetration of opposing backfields, as well as run defense, but that also involves the LBs, so perhaps the entire front 7 as a unit....

Quote Originally Posted by cocky0 View Post
    All of them.
    Word.

I agree about Bentley. He's the difference maker.

But I think McClendon needs to show he learned from last year and improve on his game prep and playcalling.

I apologize....double post

I agree that Bentley is key. But, if you look at the clemsux game, Bentley was at his best. We lost because the defense was not able to play at its best. Long story-short, the team needs to step up and we have to avoid the injury jinx.

Heisman Candidate carolina_corpsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seamus View Post
    I agree that Bentley is key. But, if you look at the clemsux game, Bentley was at his best. We lost because the defense was not able to play at its best. Long story-short, the team needs to step up and we have to avoid the injury jinx.
    It felt like we very rarely if ever last season had a complete game where both the O and D were clicking. FLA was looking like it was going to all come together and then for whatever reason, I think the coaches got conservative, the team just fell back apart.

1st Team All-American Blitzkrieg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    I agree about Bentley. He's the difference maker.

But I think McClendon needs to show he learned from last year and improve on his game prep and playcalling.
    The entire coaching staff needs to step up IMHO.
    Veterans: All gave some, some gave all.

2nd Team All-SEC Senior Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
    The entire coaching staff needs to step up IMHO.

DITTO!!!!!!

OORAH!!!!!!!

Too bad "Talking Season" can't win football games....I am ready to see it happen on the field

​GO Cocks

Bentley needs to be more consistent and need an established running game. We still have a good shot at Feaster and we have an upgrade at RB coach. I think the defensive side of the ball will be much improved this year - should be the first time since Muschamp has been here that we see a defense that can compete. Not 2012 caliber, but enough to bail out the offense when they get stymied. Like for every team, the key is staying healthy.

I know everyone is down because of the bowl game, but the team as a whole should be improved. A full year in the new BMac system, more veteran players and have some talented freshman coming in. Don't let the Belk Bowl performance get in the way of that. Georgia and Clemson will be what they have been of late, but 7 or 8 regular season wins is very attainable.
    University of South Carolina '19

I think it all comes down to LB's and RB's. I expect the depth, talent upgrade and fresh faces to make a very big impact in all of the other units. But RB and LB is where the term "step up" really applies. It would be nice is Rico could stay healthy for an entire season. The always getting injured thing has worn thin. I'm very excited about Harris. This kid is strong as an ox, and runs like one. He actually looks for contact. I hope he gets plenty of chances. I'm glad Turner is back with RB's, as I think that is his best position. Sure he can step in at corner if needed, but with all the young talent coming in, I doubt he's actually needed there. Valentine is a wildcard. I have no idea what to expect out of him. But here's to hoping he's a pleasant surprise.
    The lb's are a different thing all together. Brunson was awesome when he played next to Moore. But he was horrible last year. I can't even count the number of tackles he flat out missed. And he was out of position constantly. Now, that being said, the HOPE is that he was doing all of that to make up for the shortcomings of dl and other lbs. But I'm not completely convinced this is the case much of the time. We will see this season for sure, as he will be surrounded with much better talent. Greene in my opinion is a disaster. He was completely lost most of last season. He also missed soooooo many tackles, that it amazes me he was second on the team in tackles. But the same thing can be said about Brunson. So what does that say about the rest of last years defense? Anyway, I really hope they teach the lb's better this season, and the added depth and talent around them will truly help them to become a more consistent part of this defense. If the rbs and lbs step up in a big way this season, we might all be really amazed at how well we handle this murderous schedule.

Tact is for those who are not witty enough for Sarcasm...

I'd like to see which WR besides Edwards and the Smiths can become a key part of the offense. We won't have Edwards or Dawkins and possibly Shi, or Davis after this year, so getting our future #1 and #2 WRs ready should be something we do in 2019.
    How many kids are going to listen to Dabo say "aw shucks, if yew join ush, I'll promise yuh a natty ring and a fifty grayund, hyuk hyuk..." - 2k15