Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ROCK N ROLL LOVERS DISCUSSION: ( Read the OP carefully before posting )

Default ROCK N ROLL LOVERS DISCUSSION: ( Read the OP carefully before posting )

Over the next several weeks / months, I'd like to see what you guys consider your personal
    favorite musical Bands / Artists in your lifetime. Not just the artists that came along
    during the time you've been alive and got into listening to their music, but those artists you've heard
    who were around before you were born and you learned to appreciate them through the music they left
    the world. I want to start out ( as the title says ) posting and discussing your favorite
    ROCK N ROLL Artists. I want to see your favorites and your true favorites ONLY !. To help with
    your choices, I want to break these choices into eras as well. Over the next several weeks, I'd
    like to do this same kind of thing with Country, and Soul / R&B Music as well.
    For the sake of this discussion, Rock n Roll can include Pop, Disco, Blues, Metal ....anything
    along that line. ..... PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY:

On this and all other threads that go up after this one, please list your top 5 artists and post your
    personal favorite song by that particular artist / group. I'd like to see a reason why you selected
    that artist in that order and why you like that particular song by that artist as well, but that part is
    optional. ..LIST ONLY YOUR TOP 5 ARTISTS / BANDS FOR THESE THREADS !!! And, Only the
    one personal favorite song of yours by that artist.
    Any thread where more than five are listed, or any post where someone list "Honorable Mention" or
    "My Second Favorite Five" etc... Will have those artists and songs edited out of the thread.
    Once a thread is started, I'll stick it at the top and we'll leave it there for about a week, before
    unsticking it, and moving on to the next thread.

Default Re: ROCK N ROLL LOVERS DISCUSSION: ( Read the OP carefully before posting )

STARTING THIS ONE OFF WITH YOUR FAVORITE ROCK ARTISTS / BANDS OF
    THE 1950s AND THE 1960s

This will be artists that were the originators of what was coined as ROCK N ROLL
    in the early and mid 50s up until the year 1969. Meaning any band or artist that
    produced their first charting single, OR their first Album within these years above.

List your top 5 ( IN ORDER ) as well as your favorite song by that artist.

Default Re: ROCK N ROLL LOVERS DISCUSSION: ( Read the OP carefully before posting )

My List of this Era:

1. THE BYRDS:
    Over the early years of listening to all kinds of music, I personally gravitated to Rock n Roll
    and to the more R&B side of Rock. This choice however still puzzles me to this day. While
    I was more into the Bluesy, and Heavier sound of Rock, this was a band I enjoyed listening
    to even at the early age of 10/11 years old. I think now it was just that I seem to always like
    originality and unique sound. While most of the early Rock was "Dos Wop" of the 50s and
    Dance oriented "POP" music of the 60s, and then into the mid 60s with the explosion of
    British Rock that was heavily saturated with America Blues and Swing, The Byrds main
    influence was Folk and Country music and their music was steeped in the songs of Bob
    Dylan, and Woody Guthrie. While practicing and honing their act, they incorporated the
    use of a 12 String Electric Guitar as a lead, and brought all that together to form a very
    unique and original sound that was way ahead of that era in Rock n Roll. I love listening
    to their music even today.

Always was one my favorite Rock Songs of all time. Definitely my favorite song by
    The Byrds ~ I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better

2. CHUCK BERRY:
    The Mac Daddy of Guitar Rock ! During any discussion in music, it is often mention who
    that particular artist was influenced by, but in the case of Charles Edward Anderson Berry
    there was no one who you could point to as an Influence since he was THE ORIGINATOR
    of Early Hard Rock, yet there's not enough fingers on every person's hand in the State
    of Texas to count the number of Artists and Bands that were influenced by his Music and
    Style. There was none like him before his time, and there has never been another Guitar
    master who stood the music industry on it's ear like Chuck Berry has.

There were so many songs of his that I could choose as my favorite, but of all of them
    this is the one that listened to and enjoyed more than the rest
    Chuck Berry ~ Promised Land

3. THE BEATLES:
    WOW ... What can you say that hasn't been said over and over. I was not a really crazy fan
    of the Beatles when they first charted songs in the U.S. even though over the course of time
    each of their songs that made the Top 40 was drilled into one's head because it was played
    over and over and over and over until it was etched into your soul. I wasn't as rollin' on the
    ground screamin' crazy or couldn't wait to hear them again on the radio since the last time I
    heard them 3 minutes ago crazy like most older teens were in that day, but basically because
    I was only 9 years old when I first heard "Love Me Do" and "She Loves You" (yeah, yeah, yeah).
    But as I grew into an older teen and The Beatles grew more innovative in their sound and
    popularity, I began to realize what I was growing up in the middle of, and was awe struck by the
    overwhelming influence they had on Rock Music. Not only of that time, but for the years that
    followed up until present day. It was a force like no other in any industry, and words can not
    justify the lasting influence they were on Rock music and the artists and bands that followed
    them.

Not really sure why this was my favorite song by the Beatles, other than I just liked it
    when I first heard it, and like it just as much now after having heard it for decades.

The Beatles ~ In My Life

4. THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND:
    Hit the music world just before the 1970s era rolled around. Of all the different avenues that Rock
    Music was taking around this time, The Allman Brothers chose to go the way of The Blues, and did
    it in a way to give it a Darker and more Rhythmic Sound to it. Southern Rock was getting off the
    Ground about the time these guys were first heard across the Country, and they got that early lable
    of being one of the originators of Southern Rock, but it was clear to anyone who heard them
    early on, that this was not a Country / Western Foundational Kind of music, but was a band that gave
    Blues a new way to be enjoyed. They were Southern Born and Bred, but there was nothing resembling
    Redneck Party Music when you put one of their albums on to listen to it. Great Musicians, and
    really unique style of Blues Rock that made an impression on the world.

I love this song !
    The Allman Brothers ~ Ain't Wastin' Time No More

5. LED ZEPPELIN:
    Another band that was coming into their own at the close of the 60s. They took Blues Rock to an even
    Darker and Heavier place than The Allman Brothers did. They did it with a screaming heavy metal "type"
    of guitarist in Jimmy Page and original Vocal style of Robert Plant. This was a kind of Rock Music that
    was hard to describe at the time, and is still hard to categorize among critics of Rock Music today. It wasn't
    Heavy Metal, but it was close to it. It wasn't Blues Rock even though it was heavily coated with Blues
    and even covers of Robert Johnson Originals, done with a different spin. It wasn't Acid Rock because the
    Lyrics was understandable and had definition. It was just a harder and originally different way to Rock the
    Blues on the way to becoming known as one of the Top 4-5 Rock n Roll Bands of All Time.

This was always my favorite LZ Song from the moment I heard it the first time
    Led Zeppelin ~ Kashmir
    Last edited by Spurticus; 05-20-2019 at 07:37 PM.

1. The Beatles: When the Beatles first came out I was still in Grammar School, but everything about them was different and completely cool. Their music style, hair, and the blending of their voices from what they had learned from American Soul was just taking it to another level, plus all the girls were crazy about them too. They went on to really show their personal genius and show the entire world just how talented these "Lads From Liverpool Were"!!! My favorite song - and this is hard would be "If I Fell".

2. The Beachboys: Same thing about them as I stated about the Beatles, except the Beatles were able to outdo the Beachboys because of the great song writing duo Lennon/McCartney. Brian Wilson for the most part had to do his own thing with a little help from Mike Love who seem to be forever stuck in the same musical mindset as the Beachboys were in their early days and never evolved into a team like Lennon/McCartney. That being said the Beachboys had the greatest vocal harmonies of just about anyone who has ever step up to a microphone. If you go back and listen to some of the songs from the 60's - when they did not have the technology to fix and or correct things like they do today - these guys were "light years ahead of just about everyone else". Best song for me by the Beachboys would have to be "Good Vibrations" - even though did many great songs.

3. Paul Revere & The Raiders - Growing up and watching Dick Clark spread out his enormous talent for finding talent and giving it exposure during the 60's - Dick Clark created several "spin-off rock & roll shows" and one of the groups that always were a headliner for him were Paul Revere & The Raiders. Yes they did dress up for the show and look like they could fit into any Revolutionary Patriot Movie - but these guys could play and sing with the best of them and produced a lot of hits for many years. Sadly, they and many others got the name of being "bubble gum" when the 70's and the drug culture took over a lot of the music at the time, but putting all of that aside - these guys were great and many of us that were teenagers loved their music back in the day and Mark Lindsey (Lead Singer) was not only a great voice, but he was also an outstanding front man. Just a great band for a great time.

4. The Hollies - Another great British Invasion Band - that could really harmonize and play some outstanding music if you go back and listen to some of their early stuff. They were loaded with talent in their early years by not only having one of the best lead vocalist in music at that time (Allan Clarke), but also Graham Nash - who went on to form his own super group "Crosby - Stills & Nash". These guys sold more records in the British Empire - trailing only the Beatles and The Rolling Stones. Their music spans the decades and still sounds great today as it did back then. The drummer and lead guitar player for the Hollies don't get enough credit as both were as good as anyone who played during their day.

5. Four Seasons - This was a hard pick, but having grown up in a house with an older sister that loved the Four Seasons - it kind of grows on you after a little while. Their vocal do-wap from Jersey, their showmanship and the great song writing ability of a couple of the guys in the band - plus maybe one of the Top Five Singers Of All Time - Frankie Valli, what more could a group ask for. These guys hung in there along with the Beachboys as the only two American Groups that could still break into the Top Ten when the Beatles were at their "high water mark". Just a super group and they don't get the due justice coming to them that they should. Favorite song; "Oh, What A Night'!!!

Sorry for not reading the post more clearly and understanding the rules better.
    Last edited by dreammachine; 05-21-2019 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Misread Directions

Quote Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
    1. The Beatles: When the Beatles first came out I was still in Grammar School, but everything about them was different and completely cool. Their music style, hair, and the blending of their voices from what they had learned from American Soul was just taking it to another level, plus all the girls were crazy about them too. They went on to really show their personal genius and show the entire world just how talented these "Lads From Liverpool Were"!!! My favorite song - and this is hard would be "If I Fell".

2. The Beachboys: Same thing about them as I stated about the Beatles, except the Beatles were able to outdo the Beachboys because of the great song writing duo Lennon/McCartney. Brian Wilson for the most part had to do his own thing with a little help from Mike Love who seem to be forever stuck in the same musical mindset as the Beachboys were in their early days and never evolved into a team like Lennon/McCartney. That being said the Beachboys had the greatest vocal harmonies of just about anyone who has ever step up to a microphone. If you go back and listen to some of the songs from the 60's - when they did not have the technology to fix and or correct things like they do today - these guys were "light years ahead of just about everyone else". Best song for me by the Beachboys would have to be "Good Vibrations" - even though did many great songs.

3. Eagles - Just the greatest American Rock & Roll Band Ever Put Together. The talent these guys had could rival the Beatles/Beachboys in many, many areas. Their vocals, their lead guitar parts, inter-changing of core group members and they still sounded great. Just the best all round rock band. Favorite Song - Hotel California

4. Bon Jovi - I did not like them in their early years, but have gotten to the point of going back and listening to more and more of their stuff. Great vocals, great songs, great showmanship and these guys hung in there and made it work. Favorite song; Wanted - Dead Or Alive

5. Four Seasons - This was a hard pick, but having grown up in a house with an older sister that loved the Four Seasons - it kind of grows on you after a little while. Their vocal do-wap from Jersey, their showmanship and the great song writing ability of a couple of the guys in the band - plus maybe one of the Top Five Singers Of All Time - Frankie Valli, what more could a group ask for. These guys hung in there along with the Beachboys as the only two American Groups that could still break into the Top Ten when the Beatles were at their "high water mark". Just a super group and they don't get the due justice coming to them that they should. Favorite song; "Oh, What A Night'!!!
    I went back and forth about adding Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons on my list in place of The Allman Brothers, but
    decided to go with the ABB due to their almost immediate success once they recorded and hit the road. The Four Seasons
    were a remarkably Talented band that was a medium between Rock and Roll (60s style) and the "Doo Wop" style of the
    50s. Great Vocals and Solid song writing. Excellent Choice !

The Beach Boys was a hard band to leave off of my list as well. Very original band, and fantastic Harmony
    Very influential band for years afterwards as well.

Hate to break it to you Dream, but Bon Jovi and The Eagles were artists that came along after the 60s.
    The eagles were Early 70s and I think BJ was Early 80s.

In no particular order, and for no other reason than I like their music:

The Beatles

The Beach Boys

Elvis Presley

The Rolling Stones

Creedence Clearwater Revival
    ----------------------------------------------

Been caught moddin' Spur's Addiction's Avatar

Going to have to think about this one for a bit.

This is a fun idea. I like seeing others' picks and possibly finding something I didn't know or have exposure to.

A lot of my knowledge of 50s and 60s rock music is because of my dad. Before I really got into the current music of my generation (90s alternative), I pretty much listened to whatever my parents exposed to me, and my dad listened to rock mainly from the 60s and 70s. He'd always keep the radio tuned to the oldies station, which played more 50s and 60s though. Some of my picks span the 60s and 70s, but they all got their start in the 60s. That said my favorites, in order are:

1. The Who - It's not a big secret that my favorite band is Pearl Jam. The Who was a big influence on them, especially Eddie Vedder. Also, my dad was a big Who fan, so I was already familiar with their music before looking up PJ's influences.
    Favorite song: My Generation (1965)

2. Led Zeppelin - Including them here now based on discussion from 70s/80s thread. One of the biggest bands of all time and can't deny their influence and staying power, nearly 40 years after ending.
    Favorite song: Black Dog (1971)

3. Jimi Hendrix- Another artist that had a big influence on Pearl Jam, this time with guitarist Mike McCready. At the live shows, you can really hear this influence during McCready's solos. My dad liked Hendrix, but it wasn't until I started looking up his music that I started to like it.
    Favorite song: The Wind Cries Mary (1967)

4. Chuck Berry - As I stated in my intro, I was first introduced rock music of any kind because of my parents. Berry's music was one of the staples on the oldies station and I always enjoyed it when his music came on. He was also the first artist that I saved my money to buy an album, which was a greatest hits compilation on cassette tape.
    Favorite song: Johnny B Goode (1958)

5. The Doors - This one has my dad's influence all over it as he was a big Doors fan. I can remember being 7 or 8 and us listening to the Doors and singing, badly off-key, songs like Riders on the Storm and Light My Fire.
    Favorite song: Light My Fire (1967)
    Last edited by markymark550; 05-29-2019 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Based on other thread, removed Elvis and added Led Zeppelin.

This one is tough because a number of bands who started in the 60's produced my favorite music from them in the 70's...The Who, Rolling Stones, etc...but here goes:

Link Wray
    - Released the absolute game changing 'Rumble' in 1958 and then followed that up with a series of absolute swagger bombs throughout the 60's. His music was so 'dangerous' that it was almost instantly banned all over the world. He invented the power chord and inspired countless guitarist to rock out with their cock out moving forward. Both Jimmy Page and Pete Townshend say Wray was the reason they picked up a guitar and more importantly play the way they did. Wray should be in the Rock n Roll HOF and is possibly the most underated rock guitarist to ever live from an influence standpoint alone.

MC5 -KICK OUT THE JAMS MOTHER****ERS!!! This, along with Iggy Pop and the Stooges...Its a Detroit thing...are the start of what would become punk, grunge, garage, etc. Again, the influence that would evolve from there is hard to put into words. It was real and dangerous and violent and everything else that is great about Rock n Roll!

Won't let me post more than 1 video - Kick Out The Jams

Led Zepplin - LZ I and II are two of the most transformative first two albums ever released by anyone...and they came out the same year. Communication Breakdown, Dazed and Confused, Whole Lotta Love, Living Loving Maid, Heartbreaker, Moby Dick and...my favorite LZ song OAT...Ramble On...etc...were ALL released in 1969...even if you're tired of hearing it now you can not deny the impact it had then!

Won't let me post more than 1 video - Ramble On

The Beatles - Released...among other things...Abbey Road, Sgt. Peppers and the White Album during the 60's...not really one of my favorites but its hard to argue with that kind of production.

Won't let me post more than 1 video - Helter Skelter

Dusty Springfield - This may not be 'rock' but the Blue eyed soul of Dusty in Memphis and her 'Son of a Preacher Man' has made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside since I was kid...and any music that can still do that ends up on my list!

Won't let me post more than 1 video - Son of a Preacher Man
    Last edited by LBC; 05-21-2019 at 02:55 PM.

Chuck Berry-Well,he pretty much invented the genre.My favorite Berry song is "No Money Down."The riff could be on a Muddy,Bo,or Willie Dixon record.Wait,it is.
    Buddy Holly-I think that most modern Americana artists owe this guy a tremendous debt of gratitude.And,he wrote many of his best tunes."Rock around with Ollie Vee" is a great song.
    The Rolling Stones-“Stray Cat Blues” from Beggar’s Banquet rocks pretty hard.
    Captain Beefheart-“Sho nuff and yes I do” from Safe as Milk.Weirdness But in a good way.
    Love Sculpture-Friggin’ Dave Edmunds.The song is “3 o’clock blues”

I’ll pay closer attention next time,folks.Getting old is a mofo.
    Last edited by zappa; 05-21-2019 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zappa View Post
    Chuck Berry-Well,he pretty much invented the genre.My favorite Berry song is "No Money Down."The riff could be on a Muddy,Bo,or Willie Dixon record.Wait,it is.
    Buddy Holly-I think that most modern Americana artists owe this guy a tremendous debt of gratitude.And,he wrote many of his best tunes."Rock around with Ollie Vee" is a great song.
    The Rolling Stones-Exile on Main Street.Probably the greatest Rock album ever made.But my favorite Stones track is "Respectable" from Some Girls.
    Neil Young and Crazy Horse-Will leave you blistered.Hard to pick a favorite,so i'll go with "Cortez the Killer."
    Lynyrd Skynyrd-RVZ doesn't get enough credit.He could be the best American lyricist/front man ever.Street Survivors hinted at how truly great they could have bee.What a damn shame.My favorite skynyrd song is "I know a little."
    I haven’t gotten into this because we aren't in the 70’s yet but I’m with you on Exile...only I include Sticky Fingers in the mix of that particular period of the Stones. Songs like Sway and Can You Hear Me Knocking are ****ing brilliant.

I also agree about RVZ...He simply does not get enough credit for how actual bad ass and truly great he was as a song writer and front man. I don’t think Gaines gets enough credit either for what he was bringing to the whole deal.
    Last edited by LBC; 05-21-2019 at 01:30 PM.

This is what I was hoping for. Not really looking for a string of choices of the same 5, 6, 7
    bands, but getting a look at what each ones personal favorite artists / music were. Obviously
    there are going to be a few bands that are in A LOT of people's picks, but if you start at a
    certain point where you think it actually started and select a fixed era limit, there were so
    many artists within that time frame of every era of rock where picking your personal top
    5 are tough. You probably know who your favorite one or two are, but after you get down
    past that, you start thinking of all these bands that had an ever lasting impression on the
    era they started and for many years following that with some bands.

Some really good choices here already and a lot of others that haven't been mentioned yet.
    Thanks for posting so far and hope to see a lot of other guys getting in on this before we move
    on to the next couple of decades

Quote Originally Posted by LBC View Post
    This one is tough because a number of bands who started in the 60's produced my favorite music from them in the 70's...The Who, Rolling Stones, etc...but here goes:

Link Wray
    - Released the absolute game changing 'Rumble' in 1958 and then followed that up with a series of absolute swagger bombs throughout the 60's. His music was so 'dangerous' that it was almost instantly banned all over the world. He invented the power chord and inspired countless guitarist to rock out with their cock out moving forward. Both Jimmy Page and Pete Townshend say Wray was the reason they picked up a guitar and more importantly play the way they did. Wray should be in the Rock n Roll HOF and is possibly the most underated rock guitarist to ever live from an influence standpoint alone.
    NICE PICK !

Dusty Springfield - This may not be 'rock' but the Blue eyed soul of Dusty in Memphis and her 'Son of a Preacher Man' has made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside since I was kid...and any music that can still do that ends up on my list!
    Definitely Rock n Roll to me. Dusty was all over the AM Rock stations across the U.S. in her prime.
    Rock n Roll comes in a lot of different packaging.

Good pick there as well

The Rolling Stones-“Stray Cat Blues” from Beggar’s Banquet rocks pretty hard.
    Captain Beefheart-“Sho nuff and yes I do” from Safe as Milk.Weirdness But in a good way.
    Love Sculpture-Friggin’ Dave Edmunds.The song is “3 o’clock blues”

I’ll pay closer attention next time,folks.Getting old is a mofo.
    Hard to believe I made a list and left Buddy Holly off of it for best of the
    50s and 60s !!! We lost him before the 60s came around, but he was so much
    an influence on Rock Music in the 60s and 70s. Rock Music losing him then was
    the equivalent to the industry losing Stevie Ray Vaughn in the 90s and Tom Petty
    Recently.

There are a lot of artists from the 50s that I left off. Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, The Platters, etc. Even when you have a span of only two decades, it's tough to narrow things down to just a few.
    ----------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by cocky0 View Post
    There are a lot of artists from the 50s that I left off. Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, The Platters, etc. Even when you have a span of only two decades, it's tough to narrow things down to just a few.
    Yeah,it was hard to leave Little Richard off of my list.If Spurticus does 70's soul,we may have to go up to 50.

Quote Originally Posted by LBC View Post

Link Wray

The Velvet Underground - Songs like Waiting on the Man or Heroin were so gritty and street and filled with drug use and prostitution and real life they were more like a Scorsese film than 'songs'. There something about it that was light years ahead of anything that come before and so radically different than any of their peers I had forgotten it this was released in the mid 60's

Led Zepplin - LZ I and II are two of the most transformative first two albums ever released by anyone...and they came out the same year. Communication Breakdown, Dazed and Confused, Whole Lotta Love, Living Loving Maid, Heartbreaker, Moby Dick and...my favorite LZ song OAT...Ramble On...etc...were ALL released in 1969...even if you're tired of hearing it now you can not deny the impact it had then!

Won't let me post more than 1 video - Ramble On

The Beatles - Released...among other things...Abbey Road, Sgt. Peppers and the White Album during the 60's...not really one of my favorites but its hard to argue with that kind of production.

Won't let me post more than 1 video - Helter Skelter

Won't let me post more than 1 video - Son of a Preacher Man
    Link Wray and Robert Gordon do a pretty smokin version of Red Hot

Link Wray and Robert Gordon do a pretty smokin version of Red Hot
    They sure do.

I know I mentioned it before but think about this...Link Wray was born a dirt poor Shawnee Native American in 1929 in Dunn NC and has people like Pete Towshend, Jimmmy Page, Jeff Beck, Iggy Pop, Neil Young, etc. all claim he was a huge...if the THE...influence on them musically...who in 1958 wrote a guitar tune that to this day still has the distinction of being the only INSTRUMENTAL song ever banned from radio play in the entierty of the United States of America because it was so...menancing...that people were literally afraid of what would happen when you heard it. There were no words and you couldn't see him perform it and it was still banned because of the effect it had on everyone who simply heard it...it really is pretty bad ass.

Hey everyone, not dead yet.

In no particular order:

Jerry Lee Lewis

Chuck Berry

The Beatles

Beach Boys

The Kinks
    Always remember... stay Feisty.

Quote Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
    Hey everyone, not dead yet.
    Hey James!