Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else feel this way?

If C2 doesn't trust you.. CoverTwo's Avatar

Default Does anyone else feel this way?

I've noticed over the past 6 months that I really don't care about this upcoming season or at least I'm not really looking forward to anything. I watched the 100 Day hype video released the other day and it didn't do anything for me. It's not just Gamecock Football either. It's College Football in general. I find myself watching less and less of other teams play than ever before. I used to be a College Football JUNKIE. I could tell you random stats and facts about other schools/players etc etc but now not so much. I'd block off my entire Saturday to watch games. Sure, life is a big part of it now that I have kids but I just don't really care about what is upcoming this Fall other than playing lots of Golf. I'm going to watch our games and probably go do something else. Kind of sucks.

This really isn't a shot a Muschamp and the program. I really like the guy and I like what he is building but something is missing that isn't X's and O's related. I think its due to him having complete control over EVERYTHING that comes out of the program (which he should) and its just making off-season stale. I'll probably get the rush back the week of UNC but right now its just ... Bleh.
    Follow me on Twitter! @Ch4ncey

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan

Default Re: Does anyone else feel this way?

Quote Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
    I've noticed over the past 6 months that I really don't care about this upcoming season or at least I'm not really looking forward to anything. I watched the 100 Day hype video released the other day and it didn't do anything for me. It's not just Gamecock Football either. It's College Football in general. I find myself watching less and less of other teams play than ever before. I used to be a College Football JUNKIE. I could tell you random stats and facts about other schools/players etc etc but now not so much. I'd block off my entire Saturday to watch games. Sure, life is a big part of it now that I have kids but I just don't really care about what is upcoming this Fall other than playing lots of Golf. I'm going to watch our games and probably go do something else. Kind of sucks.

This really isn't a shot a Muschamp and the program. I really like the guy and I like what he is building but something is missing that isn't X's and O's related. I think its due to him having complete control over EVERYTHING that comes out of the program (which he should) and its just making off-season stale. I'll probably get the rush back the week of UNC but right now its just ... Bleh.
    I mean, it's May 24. There's a long way to go until football season. It's probably that and the fact that when you play bad your last game, it leaves a sour taste. Love college football too, but it's hard to get really amped up this early.
    University of South Carolina '19

Quote Originally Posted by Gamecocks0197 View Post
    I mean, it's May 24. There's a long way to go until football season. It's probably that and the fact that when you play bad your last game, it leaves a sour taste.
    Well even before the bowl game (I was there so maybe you are right) I was starting to feel this way. It really hit me when we lost the Florida game.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan

I have to make a job change in the very near future and that is driving my priorities right now.

I like the culture we have now, but we just need to more competitive across the board.

That's up to the coaches and players at this point.

Even if we don't win all the time, I have always liked to watch good athletes play the game.

I have also let some projects go at the house while I have been watching us play the last few years on the weekends, so I am going to get caught up on those and see what FB season brings in the fall.

Beating UGA early in the season will stimulate interest again if we can make that happen.

If we get competitive again, people will become interested again very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
    If we get competitive again, people will become interested again very quickly.
    Very true statement. I'm not saying we need to blow out UNC but .. we need to blow out UNC AND avoid the injury bug vs Charleston Southern. I imagine Columbia will be hosting ESPN Game Day for Alabama if that happens.

Well even before the bowl game (I was there so maybe you are right) I was starting to feel this way. It really hit me when we lost the Florida game.
    That was my point of dejection as well. If we lose another game in that fashion I'm officially off the Muschamp train. Cockytalk going down and baseball being subpar hasn't helped keep me in the groove either. Easier to focus on what I can control and be productive in areas that matter in life. Also the upcoming schedule is brutal af, so I don't know how we'll fare and regardless of outcomes, there will be those calling for changes at the end of the year.

All that said, I'll be engaged once the season starts but there's zero buzz surrounding the program. CFB overall is getting stale with the same top 3-4 teams every year & that won't be changing anytime soon w/ the way recruiting has evolved. Until players can be compensated legally or the dirty laundry is aired in CFB like it was in CBB, I think our ceiling for success is stuck where it always has been.

EDIT: first time posting since the site was brought back and wow it sucks. Reported errors when replying and even when I edit posts there's no sign that it's saved or went through.
    Last edited by nin_usc_freak92; 05-24-2019 at 12:08 PM.

I wonder if it's a kind of Clemson-related football depression. I certainly don't have it, though I'm not pleased with the ease with which they are recruiting. This, too, shall pass.

This is amazing to me. I literally was coming to post almost exactly the same thing. I have absolutely found myself having a feeling of meh about the upcoming season. I can't help but wonder if it's because pretty much every thing is hush-hush when it comes to practices, and it seems like we, as fans, are becoming less connected to the team as things move forward.

I used to come to CT all the freaking time to read about updates, but even that urge has died down.

I think its just hard to be a Gamecock fan these days. We will get through it, but, thanks to the Taters, winter is here . . .
    -this message has been sent via my cock messenger

Between the Bowl game and the NC game, I'm with C2.

Gamecock nation could use some good vibes.
    "I'd rather have to say whoa than giddy-up" - Coach Will Muschamp

Been following USC since 1969 and this, for me, is the lowest ebb in that period. Part of it is for the various reasons others have given, plus one other major thing that bothers me to no end.

College sports have essentially become a lesser pro league beyond "a free minor league" for the NFL, NBA, etc. I detest the recruiting of kids, their treatment by the coaching staffs, fans, media, "handlers", AAU, shoe companies, and others. With this new ruling being mulled over how they may make money via their names or likeness through various means, does anyone not believe they will be spending more and more time promoting themselves and acting weird to get attention in hopes of generating more press and thus, more money? Basically becoming carbon copies of so called sports heroes we see now? All of this in lieu of spending more time honing their skills, or God, forbid, being real students.

I have never liked prima donnas or people filled with the feeling of self importance. I have barely watched pro sports for the last 25 -30 years and my college sports viewing is also rapidly declining. The crooked NCAA has opened Pandora's Box too many times. The only way I think I will ever like college sports, again, is if it goes back to its supposed ideals of what a true "student-athlete" is suppose to represent. If a kid doesn't think the benefits of an education and room and board is not a fair trade, plus wide travel, world class healthcare, solid coaching and training, name recognition (locally or statewide, at least) which could help in landing a job that others would not have, for a chance to make a pro career that few get to achieve is not enough, then let the kids and their families pay out of their own pockets the expenses for them to try and find a way to turn pro and skip school.

Of course, that not happen. I imagine that at this rate in two or three years I will stop following all college sports, too, and won't miss it.
    "When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant

1st Team All-American gamecockphan's Avatar

Used to watch tons of college ball but now it generally sucks and isn’t near as fun to watch as the NFL.

I watcj about bout half of our games and that’s about it. On Saturday’s I’m now either at one of kids sporting events or doing something with friends.

Sundays are all about NFL for me. I split a PSL for the panthers and go to half the home games. I hate watch our South rivals and watch the Redzone channel.

I have the same feelings about this season. I was a season ticket holder for 12 years, but decided to go with the three game pack this year. Like Cover 2, I'm not knocking CWM, but I'm not excited about our future. Hoping, but I don't see much changing with our style of play. Solid fundemental play will at best get you 8-4 with a lot of luck because so many teams are good, with a few great ones sprinkled in. My biggest gripe is with our AD. He has followed the plan that was in place before he was hired, but I don't see a plan for the future. The 10 year facility upgrade completes in 2020. I have not heard anything about fundraising for new projects beyond what has been proposed by the previous AD. We are about to drive back into the same rut in the road I fear. Yes, I do hope I'm WRONG and both AD and HC make me eat crow.

I would completely agree. I think it's a lot of factors for me. Team is mediocre right now. Just not as excited about the team although I hope they do well. Doesn't help with Clemson doing what they are doing. And it definitely has to do with kids and phase of life that I am in. I just don't have the time for football that I used to and I've lost a little bit of interest due to my own life.

I feel the same way. I think it is multifactorial
    -lack of parity
    -Clemson winning
    -Lack of current gamecock star power or explosiveness
    -the over-hype train and then Jake Bentley mediocrity

I really hope these underclassmen show the promise their potential hints at so that the excitement can return

Not only do a lot of general college football fans feel this way but some Gamecock Fans do too. I think its called "AGE" and it is a bitch.
    I Scream
    You Scream
    The Police Come
    Its Awkward

I think you are hungover from last year. Last season was one of the worst seasons I remember as a fan. I had reasonable expectations and I thought everything fell flat. A blowout loss that wasn't competitive against Georgia for a fourth straight loss. Beat by Kentucky handily. Another loss to Texas AM when we had a chance to win. Close, ugly wins against mediocre Mizzou, Tenn, and Miss. The one chance for a positive season blown in the Florida game. I guess we were competitive vs Clemson but the game was never in doubt. The D sucked all year and the offense was frustrating to watch.

I think you will find this coming season better. I actually have high hopes for the D and think the offense can improve and become more consistent. I would really like to see Tavian Feaster join the team. Lots of tough games but lots of opportunities for big wins.

I really like the guy and I like what he is building but something is missing that isn't X's and O's related.
    Just stating the obvious: Will has yet to exorcise his failed UF tenure. Some of us are tentatively waiting to see if a similar fate awaits here. 28-0 did not boost confidence or hope. Winning some games that we shouldn't win, would go a long way.
    Quote Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
    Used to watch tons of college ball but now it generally sucks and isnít near as fun to watch as the NFL.
    Is it me, or does the NFL manage the commercials better than ESPN?

1st Team All-American Blitzkrieg's Avatar

I wasn't against the Muschamp hire but wasn't all that fired up about it either. After the first 2 seasons I was on board. The Belk Bowl knocked me back to square 1. I'm kind of meh about the upcoming season as well. I can take losing to good teams if we put up a decent fight for 3 quarters or so. If we lose to UNC things are going to get ugly quick.
    Veterans: All gave some, some gave all.

2nd Team All-SEC Senior Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
    I wasn't against the Muschamp hire but wasn't all that fired up about it either. After the first 2 seasons I was on board. The Belk Bowl knocked me back to square 1. I'm kind of meh about the upcoming season as well. I can take losing to good teams if we put up a decent fight for 3 quarters or so. If we lose to UNC things are going to get ugly quick.
    It is NOT just the BelK Bowl, before that the pitiful second half vs Akron. Not to mention the inexplicable folds in key games like FLA. How ARE you supposed to be energized for the coming season?

OORAH!!!!!!!