Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else feel this way?

Default Re: Does anyone else feel this way?

The Marshawn Lloyd commitment has sparked a little life back into me.
    "I'd rather have to say whoa than giddy-up" - Coach Will Muschamp

its called life. cant spend all day in front of the TV watching college football anymore.

But honestly, what would get anyone excited about the prospect of another 7-6 season???

also this site is not the same honestly, and takes a bit out of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    The Marshawn Lloyd commitment has sparked a little life back into me.
    I am with you there. all i remember is getting dismantled by a decent uva team. i hear lots of crap up here in va about that.

of course, we had like 8 guys out of that game. we all know if samuel, kinlaw, brunson etc were at full go that game wouldve been different.

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

If we did not get wiped out on D by injuries, we win the FLA game, maybe even Clemson, and certainly would have played much better against UVA. If that happened, then this thread would not exist.

A similar spate of injuries occurred when Boom was at Florida and lead to his dismissal. Many of us, myself included, have said that Boom was the right hire and Florida pulled the plug too early. This year should show if we are right - or if Florida made the right decision after all. Answering that question alone will make the season fun to watch.

I am sure they are all coached about what to see in public, but one can assume the players and coaches have also had to deal with the same emotional ups and downs as well.

Peeps gotta vent.

I got plenty of home and work projects to keep me busy until FB season and it will be here before we know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
    If we did not get wiped out on D by injuries, we win the FLA game, maybe even Clemson, and certainly would have played much better against UVA. If that happened, then this thread would not exist.

A similar spate of injuries occurred when Boom was at Florida and lead to his dismissal. Many of us, myself included, have said that Boom was the right hire and Florida pulled the plug too early. This year should show if we are right - or if Florida made the right decision after all. Answering that question alone will make the season fun to watch.
    That's a good point, but I think we have to see how the next 2 seasons turn out. We could be a lot better this year and still only win 5 games. I want to see some carry over and a breakout in 2020. Of course, a breakout 2019 would be even better. The schedule is just brutal this year ... really brutal so I don't expect 9 wins. An upset win would be nice though.

obscurum per obscurius GoldenSpur7's Avatar

Just stay hydrated, is the important thing.

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    That's a good point, but I think we have to see how the next 2 seasons turn out. We could be a lot better this year and still only win 5 games. I want to see some carry over and a breakout in 2020. Of course, a breakout 2019 would be even better. The schedule is just brutal this year ... really brutal so I don't expect 9 wins. An upset win would be nice though.
    To me, the "tough schedule" excuse is just that - an excuse. We have a Senior QB surrounded by lots of weapons, and we will have a much more talented/experienced/deeper Defense. Five wins and no bowl is unacceptable.

We play a tough schedule every year. The only real difference from last year is that we replace Ole Miss with Alabama. So we should have two fewer wins because of one game? When last year's Defense was wiped out by season's end, costing us at least one win and possibly as many as three?

Resident Meteorologist Superadiabatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
    If we get competitive again, people will become interested again very quickly.
    That's what it's going to take to get me excited.

Sure, I support Muschamp, his staff and our players. And I hope next season turns out like '84 and we shock the world. But after last season, especially the bowl game, it's very hard for me to be excited, especially when I look at our competition, and I don't think I'll be all that excited come the last week of August, either. But I hope to be proven wrong. I hope we're 4-1 after the Kentucky game with a decent showing against Bama. That's what I hope for. But I don't expect it.
    Last edited by Superadiabatic; 05-29-2019 at 10:09 PM. Reason: season is a much better word
    Let there be football, and let it be good.

I’m not too excited either. I attribute a lot to my age. I’ve learned that sports are great entertainment and that’s where they belong. Maybe I’m desensitized, but no longer does a big L against UK ruin my day. And seeing big game after game show me where the gamecocks are in the pecking order doesn’t help. And that is not even taking into account Clemson’s success and utter depression that can happen when you realize there was a period of time not long ago both teams were on the same trajectory. And yet, less than a decade later, we get shut out at the Belk bowl and they now have more national championships than I can ever hope to see usc win in my lifetime.

Maybe it’s as simple as we aren’t good. Maybe I’m just as excited as I should be hoping that we can get bowl eligible and beat Kentucky? A win against one of the big three would probably change my mind, but right now I feel very similar to how’s I felt in 2000-2001. Hope to be decent and surprised when we are good. And that’s sad.

To me, the "tough schedule" excuse is just that - an excuse. We have a Senior QB surrounded by lots of weapons, and we will have a much more talented/experienced/deeper Defense. Five wins and no bowl is unacceptable.

We play a tough schedule every year. The only real difference from last year is that we replace Ole Miss with Alabama. So we should have two fewer wins because of one game? When last year's Defense was wiped out by season's end, costing us at least one win and possibly as many as three?
    It's not an excuse because it is has not happened yet. Some of those teams could end up like some of our basketball opponents in 2015-2016 - they could tank. Or, we could turn out to be a very good team and beat some very good teams.

It is, however, a fact that our schedule is rated (on paper) as one of the toughest of the up coming 2019 season.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...or-2019#slide9

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticl...5/#126756315_9 (same as BR about, but read the comments by 247)

http://www.southernpigskin.com/sec/2...dule-rankings/

Muschamp won't be fired after next season even if we win only 3 or 4. But it will double the pressure for the following season. If he wins 7 or more the expectations will be greater (as they were were this season following 9 wins in 2017) but he will get a few more years.

To me, his career hinges on 2020 simply because I don't expect that much next year.

I renewed my season tickets and donation level but that UVA game was just a major kick in the gut. I can't seem to shake the awful feeling and the lingering anger. That has really made me less enthusiastic going into this year.

Of course we had injuries but that doesn't excuse the attitude and lack of focus in that bowl game. I put that loss directly on Muschamp. He downplayed the importance of the game by not holding the allowable number of practices, sending the absolute wrong message. Also I didn't agree with the way he handled the Deebo situation after he blew off the bowl game. I get Deebo's reasons for doing it, but there is no way around it, he quit on a team that needed him. Coach should have hugged him, wished him well, then sent him packing. Deebo should not have participated in all the bowl activities or been on the sidelines. The team got the message that the game wasn't a big deal and they absolutely played like it. They were half-assing plays and were not focused. UVA on the other hand was well prepared and clearly wanted it more.

That bowl game was the low point of Muschamp's time here and Gamecock fans need to see some asses getting into gear early in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Sandlapper View Post
    I renewed my season tickets and donation level but that UVA game was just a major kick in the gut. I can't seem to shake the awful feeling and the lingering anger. That has really made me less enthusiastic going into this year.

Of course we had injuries but that doesn't excuse the attitude and lack of focus in that bowl game. I put that loss directly on Muschamp. He downplayed the importance of the game by not holding the allowable number of practices, sending the absolute wrong message. Also I didn't agree with the way he handled the Deebo situation after he blew off the bowl game. I get Deebo's reasons for doing it, but there is no way around it, he quit on a team that needed him. Coach should have hugged him, wished him well, then sent him packing. Deebo should not have participated in all the bowl activities or been on the sidelines. The team got the message that the game wasn't a big deal and they absolutely played like it. They were half-assing plays and were not focused. UVA on the other hand was well prepared and clearly wanted it more.

That bowl game was the low point of Muschamp's time here and Gamecock fans need to see some asses getting into gear early in 2019.
    You're right, and I would put it as a worse performance than Clemson 2016. But I'm going to play the devil's advocate... While I'm not supporting the team's mindset, we were kinda hosed by the SEC. Ray and Will wanted the Gator Bowl and the Gator Bowl wanted us. But the SEC stepped in and sent us to Charlotte, citing ticket sales. We should have had a better mindset about it, but I can partially understand why it was harder to get hyped up for a bowl game an hour away in a city/venue that we play in every other year. Even with that, it shouldn't have been a 28-0 game, but putting fandom aside, it is a little easy to see why the energy wasn't there. Add that to injuries, and it was just a dark day. Because of all that, as frustrating as it is, I'm not putting too much stock into that game in regards to the state of the program or the future of Muschamp.
    University of South Carolina '19

2nd Team All-SEC Senior Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gamecocks0197 View Post
    You're right, and I would put it as a worse performance than Clemson 2016. But I'm going to play the devil's advocate... While I'm not supporting the team's mindset, we were kinda hosed by the SEC. Ray and Will wanted the Gator Bowl and the Gator Bowl wanted us. But the SEC stepped in and sent us to Charlotte, citing ticket sales. We should have had a better mindset about it, but I can partially understand why it was harder to get hyped up for a bowl game an hour away in a city/venue that we play in every other year. Even with that, it shouldn't have been a 28-0 game, but putting fandom aside, it is a little easy to see why the energy wasn't there. Add that to injuries, and it was just a dark day. Because of all that, as frustrating as it is, I'm not putting too much stock into that game in regards to the state of the program or the future of Muschamp.
    Hope you are right (state of program).

OORAH!!!!!!!

1st Team All-American Blitzkrieg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SC Sandlapper View Post

Right on target. We were told, All Gas, No Brakes. That's not what we got in the Belk Bowl. It was inexcusable.
    Veterans: All gave some, some gave all.

Recruiting appears to be on an upward trajectory. If that continues, the 20's could be roaring for us. It might take until midway through the 2020 season, but I hope we'll be feeling pretty good about things by then. Hope, the eternal burning fuel that powers every long-time Gamecock fan.

2nd Team All-SEC Senior Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gAmkok View Post
    Recruiting appears to be on an upward trajectory. If that continues, the 20's could be roaring for us. It might take until midway through the 2020 season, but I hope we'll be feeling pretty good about things by then. Hope, the eternal burning fuel that powers every long-time Gamecock fan.
    DITTO!!!!

OORAH!!!!!!!

Unfortunately I think itll be more of the same. You cant run theae guys into the dirt all week treating oractice like games and expect to have a healthy team in November. I know everyone will say “wel thats what Saban does” and he has talent and depth to overcome it, and im sorry but when you do have that talent they get less of the load in practice, thas how it is for your best players, because tou need them come game day. I dont think its shown to make us anymore of a physical team. Spurriers teams were physical everywhere he went and they were breezing thru and not dismantling each other all season.

if another rash of injuries happens again this season, you got to stop saying its bad luck and start looking at preventative measures towards fixing it, and i know they are; muschamp doesnt want to sacrifice what he thinks will better physicality, but you need your team in November:

This year should show if we are right - or if Florida made the right decision after all.
    No it won't. People will still be making excuses. The only way Will overcomes his UF rep, is to actually outcoach someone and not the other way around (28-0).

So what’s you’re prediction?
    what do you think our record will be?
    what if we have a season like last year?