Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else feel this way?

Default Re: Does anyone else feel this way?

Yea, thats how I feel. When the team performs poorly I get less passionate about Gamecock and college football in general.
    In 2016 I braced myself because I figured the next 5 or so years was going to be rough. Rebuilding and all........ that takes time.
    Last edited by PalmettoG27; 05-24-2019 at 08:40 PM.

1st Team All-American Blitzkrieg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Senior Rooster View Post
    It is NOT just the BelK Bowl, before that the pitiful second half vs Akron. Not to mention the inexplicable folds in key games like FLA. How ARE you supposed to be energized for the coming season?
    Good points about Akron and UF.
    Veterans: All gave some, some gave all.

For me there are several things that have all added up to near apathy:

- After the massive hype of last Summer, 7 wins and the manner of losses was terribly underwhelming.
    - Kentucky is a better program than we are right now (or they were - we'll see this year) and that's ridiculously depressing.
    - We can't touch Clemson with a 20 ft pole lately with no end to the nightmare in sight.
    - We shat our pants in the Belk Bowl.
    - The 2019 schedule doesn't provide much of a chance for more than 6 or 7 wins (and everyone knows it).
    - We see the University catering heavily to the "premium" fans, but doing near zero for us average Joe guys.
    - When I'm not excited about my team, I'm not excited about any team.

I'd say I'm excited to see Hilinski play, but I don't know that he will (it's likely he won't, given recent decisions with our QBs).
    Recruiting is going well, from appearances, so I'm willing to wait and see. But I'm certainly not going to be excited about a sealed box that could contain a diamond or a turd. Seen too many of the latter lately.

That's where I am.

There was not a whole lot to be happy about last year. We had some very poor luck with injuries, played poorly at times, and the Belk Bowl Loss still sticks in many Gamecock Fans throat even today. All of that being said, I think if Coach Muschamp can get these players coming out of the gate and finally start to beat and hold our own against Georgia, Kentucky, and others, it will cure what does affect many Gamecock Fans now. Winning is contagious and will bring back all of the doubters and fair weather fans. I think this is going to be a very pivotal year for Coach Muschamp and his coaching staff. We may not have the best talent in the SEC at every position, but we got enough now to beat just about anyone on the schedule if we play quality football for 4 quarters. I do wish that we could hear and learn more from what is going on with our players and moving them around. That being said, it is time for our football coaching staff to make great strides this upcoming season when the odds are stack high against them. Another bad year, fans might not be as understanding as past years.

1st Team All-American gamecockphan's Avatar

The whole system of big time college athletics (football and basketball) is dumb if you think about it. It rewards teams that best exploit a corrupt system. Why should we celebrate teams that are the best at cheating and paying “amateurs”. Subverting the rules to build stacked rosters isn’t interesting. The playing field isn’t level which IMO means it isn't really sports. I’ll stick to watching the NFL where at least the salary cap and draft make the season and games way more interesting.

NOT AT ALL!!!!!! I'm more hype for this season, because of how difficult the schedule is, and how talented this team is going to be. If the new coaching hires prove to be great hires, then this season could become extremely interesting. This has a chance to be a HUGE statement for this program. I understand we prob will only win approx 6-7 games. That is extremely likely. BUT, there is the chance of winning big against the hardest schedule in the nation. And I feel like there's a better chance for this than most of the experts think. We will see in 98 more days...

Tact is for those who are not witty enough for Sarcasm...

Quote Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
    I've noticed over the past 6 months that I really don't care about this upcoming season or at least I'm not really looking forward to anything. I watched the 100 Day hype video released the other day and it didn't do anything for me. It's not just Gamecock Football either. It's College Football in general. I find myself watching less and less of other teams play than ever before. I used to be a College Football JUNKIE. I could tell you random stats and facts about other schools/players etc etc but now not so much. I'd block off my entire Saturday to watch games. Sure, life is a big part of it now that I have kids but I just don't really care about what is upcoming this Fall other than playing lots of Golf. I'm going to watch our games and probably go do something else. Kind of sucks.

This really isn't a shot a Muschamp and the program. I really like the guy and I like what he is building but something is missing that isn't X's and O's related. I think its due to him having complete control over EVERYTHING that comes out of the program (which he should) and its just making off-season stale. I'll probably get the rush back the week of UNC but right now its just ... Bleh.
    Itís because Clemson and Georgia are elite and weíre middle of the pack, for me at least. I agree Muschampís doing all he can and the only way he couldíve made us elite is by cheating his ass off. Many people forget it took Dabo eight years to get them to the national title game, in a basketball conference. We just need to find some freaks like Tebow, Watson, Percy Harvin who can just take over a game. I think I was over invested in college football, the only bright side to Clemson being great is itís allowed me to do other things rather than be obsessed with the Gamecocks.

I have heard that our season ticket sales have increased by 17% though from this season to last. Iím glad to see that people still want to come regardless of how tough the schedule is.

1st Team All-American Blitzkrieg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndersonCock View Post
    I have heard that our season ticket sales have increased by 17% though from this season to last. I’m glad to see that people still want to come regardless of how tough the schedule is.
    That likely is the reason they are buying tickets.
    Veterans: All gave some, some gave all.

Certainly doesn't help that Clemson is winning (read: cheating) at a high level. The Belk Bowl was depressing, but I'm over it. At the end of the day, a bowl game of that tier doesn't really mean a whole lot, win or lose. I think most rational fans realize that while things aren't all sunshine and rainbows right now, this was kinda expected. We definitely got too much hype last summer, but that happens when you exceed expectations. I think if we are 8-5 or better this year, then people will feel better given the schedule and what we have coming. 7-6 or worse and then the seat will get really hot.
    University of South Carolina '19

Spurrier couldn’t get thru talking season without talking, which made things entertaining. I feel the same way but would feel different had the bowl game gone differently. As each year passes it feels more and more like you k ow what you’re going to get from certain players and coaches, but I look forward to being surprised. Hard to get excited for a season where 8 wins is considered a great accomplishment instead of the norm.

inwould he more excited if I knew there was a great runningback on roster, and that the offensive and defensive lines were at SEC caliber to be able to compete in knockout dragout SEC games like UGA and Florida. Running the ball and stopping the run still has to happen for this team to be somewhat enjoyable to watch.

Heisman Candidate carolina_corpsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndersonCock View Post
    I have heard that our season ticket sales have increased by 17% though from this season to last. I’m glad to see that people still want to come regardless of how tough the schedule is.
    I would guess the tough schedule is why they are increasing sales. Alabama, Florida, and Clemson means at least 3 ranked teams coming to WB, plus playing Kentucky at home makes for at least 4 exciting matchups, not a bad value for season ticket holders. Hopefully a few of those are night games and the fan's show up in force.

Felt this way since the Georgia game. Really lost interest after that disaster.

This is the saddest most fatalistic bunch of whining I’ve seen in some time. On a positive note...it’s clear many of our fans need more life in their lives...coming to terms with that is a good thing!
    Last edited by LBC; 05-26-2019 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LBC View Post
    This is the saddest most fatalistic bunch of whining Iíve seen in some time. On a positive note...itís clear many of our fans need more life in their lives...coming to terms that is a good thing!
    I have come to terms. Terms with the fact that our AD has let us slip so far below our two biggest rivals, that we cannot even touch them.
    Terms with the fact that the University keeps raising prices but the quality of the product continues to drop.
    Terms with the fact that my GARNET GLASSES are forever broken.

obscurum per obscurius GoldenSpur7's Avatar

I don’t have any expectations about the upcoming season. Not juiced, but will definitely watch every game, as always. I do think you have to look at some potentially deflating trends:
    (1) the inability of the defense to get off the field the latter half of the last few seasons. It’s frustrating to watch, and the complete injury-fueled collapse at the end of last season made me question whether it was worth the time.
    (2) the failure to win key games. UK, Uga, still haven’t beaten aTm, the UF debacle of 2018, Clempsun, UVA, etc. And it’s especially demoralizing when it’s a home game with a huge crowd and the team falls flat. Zup?
    (3) inconsistency on O and the QB position.
    (4) not a fan of the increasing numbers of noon games. Lot of other productive things to be doing in that time slot.

The team just hasn’t been that enjoyable to watch, a lot of the time.

As to CFB, I’ve just come to prefer the NFL. Panther fan, but find other games more watchable too (than college).

Heisman Candidate carolina_corpsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSpur7 View Post
    I don’t have any expectations about the upcoming season. Not juiced, but will definitely watch every game, as always. I do think you have to look at some potentially deflating trends:
    (1) the inability of the defense to get off the field the latter half of the last few seasons. It’s frustrating to watch, and the complete injury-fueled collapse at the end of last season made me question whether it was worth the time.
    (2) the failure to win key games. UK, Uga, still haven’t beaten aTm, the UF debacle of 2018, Clempsun, UVA, etc. And it’s especially demoralizing when it’s a home game with a huge crowd and the team falls flat. Zup?
    (3) inconsistency on O and the QB position.
    (4) not a fan of the increasing numbers of noon games. Lot of other productive things to be doing in that time slot.

The team just hasn’t been that enjoyable to watch, a lot of the time.

As to CFB, I’ve just come to prefer the NFL. Panther fan, but find other games more watchable too (than college).
    So many solid points. I have watched every game but I have also gotten to the point to where I have no problem leaving the game early, or just turning it off early when it's just too bad to watch. Choking games and losing to Kentucky haven't helped. I used to prefer college ball because of the pageantry and "kids playing for school pride" but given the lack of parity and the NCAA turning a blind eye to obvious cheating, at this point, the draft and salary caps make the NFL seem "more fair".

I'll still watch each game but I won't feel bad turning it off and being productive and I don't think I'll attend a game in person.

Not at all
    im pumped
    GeoCocky was right, GSW did not beat the Bucks in 5 in the finals

I feel the same way, but I know it's because we just moved to Charleston not long ago and I'm more into getting out and exploring my new hometown. It's to the point that I don't even watch tv much anymore.

I definitely feel your pain, and was borderline apathetic myself at the end of last season. For me, it is Clemson's success period. They have accomplished so much, and there is no perceivable end in sight. We also have a much tougher road to the playoff, insomuch that I pretty much have accepted its improbability. Maybe if the playoff is expanded I will regain hope.

However, Muschamp and Co. are starting to recruit elite talent. He has done a good job in that area, even with the success that Clemson and Georgia are having. I also believe that we will have a good enough defense this year to compete with anyone. My concern is the offense. I saw what happened when Deebo was out for the bowl game. Will that be what I should expect to see in August?

Overall though, this year's schedule gives us a chance to see if we are progressing. I think we need to see a big win or two this year though. Just to give the fan base hope. Worst case scenario is 4-8 in my opinion. I'm not sure Muschamp would survive that. Even with the brutal schedule. On the flip side, I think it's possible for this team to win 9 games with an upset.