Thread: Carolina Class Ring

Default Carolina Class Ring

Unfortunately we had an armed home invasion here at our house in Costa Rica in March. Among the items taken was my Carolina Class Ring. Of course I can buy a new one, but a new ring won't look right on my old hand. My ring had 40 years of work scars on it and was kind of looking for an older used one. Does anyone have any thoughts?

After all that time I feel like there is something missing from me. It was always on my finger.

My father's Wofford class ring was stolen in a burglary years ago. I wished I had given it to the college so someone could use it rather than sitting in a jewelry box at our home in Lauderdale.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Carolina Class Ring

that sucks...maybe check ebay and see if you can get lucky and find one on there.

I seem to remember seeing something in the paper work when I got mine about being able to replace lost or stolen rings for "free" I believe. Although I never really read the fine print or anything (I think it is still in the box the ring came in where ever I have that at) and I got mine about 30 years after you so I don't know how things may have changed over that period.

If you do end up getting a new one just figure out whatever the hell I did to mine a few weeks after getting it and you will have a nice very visible nick right on the top of it that will make it feel a little more like the old one.

Thanks Gamecock303. I guess I could move gravel with my bare hands to break in a new ring.

There are to many questions to ask about this, but is moving back to the US feasible?

I had to replace my 37 year old Jostens ring because I could no longer wear it, and the extra hard metal it's made from can't be resized. And given the only supplier of the ring now is Balfour, you're stuck with the traditional signet ring.
    Last edited by SwampFox; 05-28-2019 at 06:42 AM.

I have always worn mine "feet out" since graduation and was "feet in" in my senior year. Anybody else uses this tradition or have I misunderstood something since 1975?
    OP - sorry for your loss. hope this resolves well for you
    under a coconut tree!

Been caught moddin' Spur's Addiction's Avatar

ebay?

Thank you Swampfox for the ring info.

No moving back is not something we want to do. We have roots here now and this is our home. This event was not about the where, rather it was about the why, and who. A long story, but they got the wrong house. Crime here seems to be targeted (Home invasions everywhere definitely are) not random as you see in the states and much less violence here. The house they were looking for is intentionally opulent, the bad guys thought it was a hotel. Showing how wealthy you are doesn't attract the envy and admiration that is does in the states. Not to say you cannot have a nice house or nice things, but as an example is a Rolex necessary to tell time? Is that what it's for?

Quote Originally Posted by Nassau Gamecock View Post
    I have always worn mine "feet out" since graduation and was "feet in" in my senior year. Anybody else uses this tradition or have I misunderstood something since 1975?
    I assume you are talking about the seal facing out? If so yes I did the same, but didn't get my ring until after I graduated.

Official Baseball Chick USCBatgirl21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nassau Gamecock View Post
    You have it right. The Seal faces you until you graduate. Then the Seal faces out so that when you give someone your hand, they can view the Seal properly.
    What can I say...
    I swear like a sailor & use please and thank you like a saint...
    I'm complicated

I understand about not wanting to move. I had to leave Florida where I had lived for 20 years recently, and I'm not happy about that. Here is the link to the page to order a new ring. As I mentioned before, only the signet ring is available now. Gold rings start at $800 for a men's 10K. Good luck with this one, and hope you have a hidden safe for irreplaceable items.

https://www.balfour.com/shop/univers...ure&smi=131548

Quote Originally Posted by SwampFox View Post
    I understand about not wanting to move. I had to leave Florida where I had lived for 20 years recently, and I'm not happy about that. Here is the link to the page to order a new ring. As I mentioned before, only the signet ring is available now. Gold rings start at $800 for a men's 10K. Good luck with this one, and hope you have a hidden safe for irreplaceable items.

https://www.balfour.com/shop/univers...ure&smi=131548
    Thanks so much Swamp Fox. It will be on my hand as the other one was for 40 years. Actually they didn't take my cross as I told them it was my mothers, or my wedding band which won't come off my finger. The actually gave my wife back her wedding ring, when she started crying. I guess I could have tried to sell them on letting me keep my class ring, but face down, hands zip tied behind my back and a gun to my head, I didn't think I should press my luck. They really wanted the cash which is what their "information" was. All we had was around $100 US. It wouldn't buy them a part of a new uniform. They looked and behaved like a SWAT team. They were professionals.
    You from Columbia originally? What year were you at Carolina?

Quote Originally Posted by lauderdalecock View Post
    Thanks so much Swamp Fox. It will be on my hand as the other one was for 40 years. Actually they didn't take my cross as I told them it was my mothers, or my wedding band which won't come off my finger. The actually gave my wife back her wedding ring, when she started crying. I guess I could have tried to sell them on letting me keep my class ring, but face down, hands zip tied behind my back and a gun to my head, I didn't think I should press my luck. They really wanted the cash which is what their "information" was. All we had was around $100 US. It wouldn't buy them a part of a new uniform. They looked and behaved like a SWAT team. They were professionals.
    Holy crap! That's like something you only see on TV or in the movies.

Glad you and your family survived it.

Organized crime.

It sounds like they would have wasted both of you if you had actually been their intended target, though.

Myrtle Beach is my hometown. Dad was stationed there at the base when he met my mom when they both worked at a local pharmacy. Mom worked at the soda fountain while dad had a part time job there after regular duty hours. I graduated from Columbia High in '76 and Carolina in '81 (switched majors).

Quote Originally Posted by SwampFox View Post
    Myrtle Beach is my hometown. Dad was stationed there at the base when he met my mom when they both worked at a local pharmacy. Mom worked at the soda fountain while dad had a part time job there after regular duty hours. I graduated from Columbia High in '76 and Carolina in '81 (switched majors).
    I grew up in Greenville, Wade Hampton '74 Carolina '79. Lived most of my adult life in Miami/Fr. Lauderdale, retired here 7 years ago. Lived 3 floor Preston, back when it was "real"

I grew up in Greenville, Wade Hampton '74 Carolina '79. Lived most of my adult life in Miami/Fr. Lauderdale, retired here 7 years ago. Lived 3 floor Preston, back when it was "real"
    I lived in Preston my Sophomore year in the early 80's. It was real alright. Real dang hot because there was no air conditioning if I remember correctly.

But it was still much better than the Towers.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
    I lived in Preston my Sophomore year in the early 80's. It was real alright. Real dang hot because there was no air conditioning if I remember correctly.

But it was still much better than the Towers.
    YES it was hot, but I think the high ceilings and the window over the door helped. Also lots of roaches! Ha!

YES it was hot, but I think the high ceilings and the window over the door helped. Also lots of roaches! Ha!
    Yeah, my roommate liked to eat cookies with the chocolate icing; always had to keep them in the mini-fridge. LOL