Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ROCK MUSIC LOVERS: Favorite Artists of the 70s and 80s

Default ROCK MUSIC LOVERS: Favorite Artists of the 70s and 80s

RULES OF THE THREAD:

Over the next several weeks / months, I'd like to see what you guys consider your personal
    favorite musical Bands / Artists in your lifetime. Not just the artists that came along
    during the time you've been alive and got into listening to their music, but those artists you've heard
    who were around before you were born and you learned to appreciate them through the music they left
    the world. I want to start out ( as the title says ) posting and discussing your favorite
    ROCK N ROLL Artists. I want to see your favorites and your true favorites ONLY !. To help with
    your choices, I want to break these choices into eras as well. Over the next several weeks, I'd
    like to do this same kind of thing with Country, and Soul / R&B Music as well.
    For the sake of this discussion, Rock n Roll can include Pop, Disco, Blues, Metal ....anything
    along that line. ..... PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY:

On this and all other threads that go up after this one, please list your top 5 artists and post your
    personal favorite song by that particular artist / group. I'd like to see a reason why you selected
    that artist in that order and why you like that particular song by that artist as well, but that part is
    optional. ..LIST ONLY YOUR TOP 5 ARTISTS / BANDS FOR THESE THREADS !!! And, Only the
    one personal favorite song of yours by that artist.
    Any thread where more than five are listed, or any post where someone list "Honorable Mention" or
    "My Second Favorite Five" etc... Will have those artists and songs edited out of the thread.
    Once a thread is started, I'll stick it at the top and we'll leave it there for about a week, before
    unsticking it, and moving on to the next thread.

Default Re: ROCK MUSIC LOVERS: Favorite Artists of the 70s and 80s

Same as per last week:

This thread will be for posting your top 5 bands or artists that had their first single or album
    released at any point starting in 1970 and before Dec. 31st 1989. List your 5 favorite artist
    and then your favorite song by each artist

This is when it gets really tough to nail down only 5. But here we go, in no particular order and no reason other than I like the songs.

Queen

Aerosmith

Journey

AC/DC

The Eagles

----------------------------------------------

This gets even tougher. There were so many damn good rock bands / solo artists within these
    two decades that it makes it tough to select your top 5. Like the 50s and 60s, I think everyone
    has a distinct favorite (or two) but selecting the 3-4 and 5 get's tough. You know you are going
    to leave way too many off the list that should be on it. .... but I need your best five only.

My selections for this Era:

1. AEROSMITH

I think anyone who's been a personal friend of mine since 1973 OR if you've spent more than
    one day posting on Cockytalk at any time since it went online, knows that I'm a huge Aeorsmith
    fan since they first hit the airwaves. Over their early career, Aerosmith became my favorite Rock
    Band of all time. Their recent years have not been kind to them, and it doesn't reflect on the
    music they recorded back in the 70s and into the 80s, and then revived an almost dead career
    to become yet another major force in the early 90s. Just a couple of years away from having
    been together for 50 years with the same lineup is an incredible tribute to a group of guys who
    I personal consider the best Rock and Roll band to ever grace a stage with their work.

My favorite Aerosmith song.....No More, No more

2. STEVIE RAY VAUGHN

Name 'em all. The critics over the years have given opinions on who was the greatest guitarist of
    all time: Les Paul, Chuck Berry, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen etc.....
    but there has never been a master of the Blues / Rock guitar like Stevie Ray Vaughn and IMO when
    he died, he took the honor of being the Greatest of All time to his grave Never to be equaled again
    by anyone. Stevie Ray knew the fretboard of guitar like it was his first born child and made some
    of the best Blues and Rock music that has ever been recorded from any guitar he ever picked up and
    played. The music and the style he created over his short but massively successful career will be
    studied and woefully tried to be imitated for decades to come, but it will never ever come close to
    being on the same level that SRV created . It is a level of itself. THE MAN WAS A ROCK AND BLUES GOD
    OF THE GUITAR !

So many songs of his were great, that it is very hard to pick a favorite, but of all his songs I've
    listened to over the years, this one in particular I think I've listened to a lot more than any of
    the others, and I still find it to be one of, if not his best live numbers. .... Life Without You ( R.I.P. Stevie)

3. LYNYRD SKYNYRD

Like the Allman Brothers, this band was one of the first in that rise of what was tagged as "Southern
    Rock" in the early 70s, but then that brand got labeled as being dominated by Country and Western
    influenced Rock music. Bands Like Charlie Daniels, The Marshal Tucker Band, Elvin Bishop, The
    Atlanta Rhythm Section etc... were what people put up for the face of Southern Rock, and heaped
    Lynyrd Skynyrd ( and the Allman Brothers) into that critic labeled genre. Anyone who ever heard
    Lynyrd Skynyrd from the time they released their first album, and followed them up until the end
    of the Original LS Band knows these guys were not saturated with a Country Western style, and like
    the Allman Brothers, proceeded over their short by massive career to define their hard driving, nuclear
    powered Blues and "honky tonk" influenced brand of Rock n Roll on the world. Lynyrd Skynyrd died
    along with Ronnie Van Zant and Steve Gains. The band that reformed and went out on the road as
    Lynyrd Skynard was only a shell of the REAL LS band. IMO, they should have let that original sound
    alone and reformed as a totally different band, because there was not another group that could equal
    that sound and attitude that Ronnie and Steve produced when Lynyrd Skynyrd was in their prime, and
    they were in their prime when it's life was snuffed out.

My favorite Skynyrd Song ..... The Needle and the Spoon

4. TOM PETTY and the HEARTBREAKERS

I was always a big fan of Tom Petty when he was alive and all through his career with the Heartbreakers
    and as a Solo Artist and then as part of the Compilation project know as The Traveling Wilberrys. But
    not until Tom Petty's recent death did I carefully examine this man's contribution to Rock and Roll and
    realize the amazing legacy he left to the world with his works and with his approach to life. Tom was
    a guy who wrote music with Complex Simplicity. Easy / simple chord progressions played by a genius
    songwriter surrounded by Extremely talented musicians that formed The Heartbreakers. It was Rock n
    Roll Music. He had several influences, all of which he displayed in his songs and music. The Byrds, The Stones,
    Bob Dylan, The Beatles etc... It was played the way Rock Music should be played. Loud and with an energy
    that got it's feed from the crowds that come to see him perform live. Petty was a guy who recorded music
    to have an excuse to go out on tour, and get on stage and play. His hits were many, but the guy did all
    kinds of music that is now coming out and little known at the time it was originally done, It shows the
    diversity of styles and most all his influences that he eventually wrote into his songs. He was the last of a
    dying breed and there aren't too many others left that can wear the brand of True Rock Artist. The man passed
    away while out on the road playing and just before the end of yet another tour, and planning another for the
    future. ....... R.I.P. Mr. Petty. You Were A Hell Of an Act

Could pick several of his songs as My favorite, but this one would probably be
    my choice for favorite if I was nailed down to naming Just one. ..... The Waiting
    ** I saw this when it came out first time on Sat. Night Live. One of my favorite
    Memories of him doing any of his songs over his career

5. THE EAGLES

Very unique career, and one of the bands that started out quietly under the radar and who many thought
    would be a short footnote in the history of Rock n Roll once they released their first couple of Albums. They
    had a two early hits and followed it up with a "good" album that a lot of critics and fans labeled as "Odd"
    and confusing. However, they did gather an early following who made them relevant to the industry. It wasn't
    until their third album was released (On The Border) when their finished product got the recognition they
    were looking for and shortly after that release, The Eagles became a worldwide Brand and eventually rose to
    the top of the charts as one of the best American Rock Bands of All time. Due to internal strife and personal
    issues among the members, the band slowly declined to be the force it was in the mid to late 70s, but the
    talent among the members that were brought in to "restock" the missing members was good enough to still
    produce classic hits and sellout venues even to this day. I personally liked those fist couple of Albums and
    the music and members that started the Eagles. I hated when Bernie and Randy departed, but still continued
    to follow their careers up until the death of Glenn Frye a few years ago. IMO, that ended "The Eagles" and even
    though the remaining members continue to try and "Keep The Faith" .... It's only a shell of the career that
    was The Eagles.

Always considered this to be my favorite Eagles song. ...... Wasted Time
    Last edited by Spurticus; 05-26-2019 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cocky0 View Post
    This is when it gets really tough to nail down only 5. But here we go, in no particular order and no reason other than I like the songs.

Queen

Aerosmith

Journey

AC/DC

The Eagles

I knew who my #1 band was, but I've tried to pick these choices in the first two threads "In Order". It was tough after posting
    Aerosmith. I had an Idea of who 2 through 4 was going to be, but didn't know the exact priority. #5 was going to be a toughie
    though. There's a large pool of bands I could have picked other than The Eagles, but when I started naming a few and then
    doing a side by side comparison, The body of work from start to finish and the longevity of their careers, it was hard to
    deselect The Eagles as my final choice. Journey was one of those bands that I thought about. I had not remembered
    Queen at the time I posted this list, and now that I saw your selections, that may have been one of bands doing a head to head
    comparison that would have been my pick for #5.
    There were a few bands that came along in the 80s that I liked a lot, but most of those that had a "Career" that sprang out of that
    "Glam Rock / Hair Metal" wave that dominated most of the 80s and almost type cast them, even though a few were more than
    that (Like Skynard and The Allman Brothers among the Southern Rock wave in the 70s). Bon Jovi, Cinderella, Van Halen, Def
    Leppard, Dokken ............ several other bands that I consider Damn Good Bands, but other than Van Halen get most of their
    exposure now as part of an 80s tribute tour a few times a year in small to medium size venues. Bon Jovi I think is still doing
    major shows, but just not as many as a few years ago, and mostly as a Reunion kind of show now.
    Also think that Guns and Roses could have been on my list as well, but the length of the career was way too short to drop
    someone like Tom Petty or the Eagles off and replace it with GNR.... The Police was another band that came out of the
    80s that was unique in sound and style, that could have replaced The Eagles as my fifth choice had their careers
    lasted a few more years as a band.

Quote Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
    I knew who my #1 band was, but I've tried to pick these choices in the first two threads "In Order". It was tough after posting
    Aerosmith. I had an Idea of who 2 through 4 was going to be, but didn't know the exact priority. #5 was going to be a toughie
    though. There's a large pool of bands I could have picked other than The Eagles, but when I started naming a few and then
    doing a side by side comparison, The body of work from start to finish and the longevity of their careers, it was hard to
    deselect The Eagles as my final choice. Journey was one of those bands that I thought about. I had not remembered
    Queen at the time I posted this list, and now that I saw your selections, that may have been one of bands doing a head to head
    There were a few bands that came along in the 80s that I liked a lot, but most of those that had a "Career" that sprang out of that
    "Glam Rock / Hair Metal" wave that dominated most of the 80s and almost type cast them, even though a few were more than
    that (Like Skynard and The Allman Brothers among the Southern Rock wave in the 70s). Bon Jovi, Cinderella, Van Halen, Def
    Leppard, Dokken ............ several other bands that I consider Damn Good Bands, but other than Van Halen get most of their
    exposure now as part of an 80s tribute tour a few times a year in small to medium size venues. Bon Jovi I think is still doing
    major shows, but just not as many as a few years ago, and mostly as a Reunion kind of show now.
    Also think that Guns and Roses could have been on my list as well, but the length of the career was way too short to drop
    someone like Tom Petty or the Eagles off and replace it with GNR.... The Police was another band that came out of the
    80s that was unique in sound and style, that could have replaced The Eagles as my fifth choice had their careers

Well the good thing about Guns N' Roses is that they stretched into the 90s with November Rain (and probably a lot of people's favorite tune of theirs). While I love 80s music, and hair bands in particular, I recognize that there are a lot of bands and singers from that decade who had a couple of good songs and not much else. The same could be said about a lot of the artists from the 50s for that matter.

Def Leppard is still doing major shows and releasing music. They just released their full anthology spanning their career. Their last tour with Journey sold over 1 million tickets and nearly $100 million. And I can say as someone who went to a concert, that Def Leppard was vastly superior to Journey and it wasn't even close. They are now set for a Vegas residency in August and September. By comparison, Bon Jovi's latest tour started in 2017 and continues through October 2019. They've sold nearly 500K tickets and made around $43 million. Def Leppard may not be as popular as Bon Jovi now but they are still very relevant and doing well.

1.Neil Young and Crazy Horse-Nobody has done it longer or weirder than Neil.My favorite songwriter of the 60's and 70's.A criminally underrated guitar player."Cortez the Killer" from Zuma is NY&CH at their best.
    2.Lynyrd Skynyrd-Hardly a dud on their first 5 studio albums.Ronnie Van Zant was perhaps the greatest American songwriter/frontman in rock history.My favorite Skynyrd song is "I know a little."
    3.Patti Smith-Her three album run of Horses,Radio Ethiopia, and Easter are amazing.Lenny Kaye always plays the right note/riff/lead.Privilege(Set me free) from Easter sends chills up my spine to this day.
    4.Elton John-Even though everything he did after Capt.Fantastic was shit(well,a few songs on the album he made with Leon Russell don't suck),he had a great run of great songs from 1970-1975ish.The title track "Madman across the water" is stunning.
    5.Foghat-Hey,they're f@#cking fun.Ain't that the point?"Drivin' Wheel" from Night shift is my personal favorite

Quote Originally Posted by uscjeremynca View Post
    Def Leppard is still doing major shows and releasing music. They just released their full anthology spanning their career. Their last tour with Journey sold over 1 million tickets and nearly $100 million. And I can say as someone who went to a concert, that Def Leppard was vastly superior to Journey and it wasn't even close. They are now set for a Vegas residency in August and September. By comparison, Bon Jovi's latest tour started in 2017 and continues through October 2019. They've sold nearly 500K tickets and made around $43 million. Def Leppard may not be as popular as Bon Jovi now but they are still very relevant and doing well.
    I just went back and read my response above, and did in fact overlook Def Leppard as an 80s band that is still going pretty
    strong today. I just saw a recent concert of theirs on Axis TV and was really surprised that they still play with the energy
    and "Power" that they do. So many bands that were really good when they started out faded a lot as a live act when the
    years got behind them. REO Speedwagon, and Cheap Trick are bands that were fantastic live shows when they first started
    their careers, but to see them now is really hard to imagine why they still want to tour and play. At points it's hard to watch
    them try draw crowds even at small venues. Heart was another band that i'd like to have put on my list of five, but they were
    "JUST" outside the bubble of talent level of those I did chose. They still do decent job on stage now, but definitely not the
    strong force they were in the best years of their career.
    Other bands /acts though have shown a brilliance at holding on to the chemistry and energy that made them good when
    they were selling out arenas in the 70s and 80s. Bad Company is still a really good live act, and Bob Segar can still put on
    a good show. If they still "Go It" I'm glad to see 'em still Flaunting it, with some others though, it's time to let your
    resume prove your worth to the music. Some of 'em want to hang on way too long.

Quote Originally Posted by zappa View Post
    1.Neil Young and Crazy Horse-Nobody has done it longer or weirder than Neil.My favorite songwriter of the 60's and 70's.A criminally underrated guitar player."Cortez the Killer" from Zuma is NY&CH at their best.
    2.Lynyrd Skynyrd-Hardly a dud on their first 5 studio albums.Ronnie Van Zant was perhaps the greatest American songwriter/frontman in rock history.My favorite Skynyrd song is "I know a little."
    3.Patti Smith-Her three album run of Horses,Radio Ethiopia, and Easter are amazing.Lenny Kaye always plays the right note/riff/lead.Privilege(Set me free) from Easter sends chills up my spine to this day.
    4.Elton John-Even though everything he did after Capt.Fantastic was shit(well,a few songs on the album he made with Leon Russell don't suck),he had a great run of great songs from 1970-1975ish.The title track "Madman across the water" is stunning.
    5.Foghat-Hey,they're f@#cking fun.Ain't that the point?"Drivin' Wheel" from Night shift is my personal favorite
    Strong list of names there !
    Neil Young and Patti Smith were incredible acts especially early in their careers. Young
    was a major influence on a lot of bands that came out of the 70s. Rock and Grung bands
    that rose to the top in the 90s and early 2000s mention his name and music as major
    reasons that got into the business. Like most of the artists I like, I consider his early stuff
    to be his best works. It was steeped in Folk Music and Rebellious and anti-establishment
    lyrics.

Nice list

I do love me some Def Leppard as well as some of the other bands listed here like Heart as well as ones I'm surprised haven't made a list yet like Talking Heads and ZZ-Top or Duran Duran or maybe Depeche Mode. It's one of those things where you can recognize the talent, but you can only choose 5, so you go with your gut. If I had to choose a # 6 or swap one of my top 5, it would probably go to Talking Heads with Psycho Killer.

Quote Originally Posted by zappa View Post
    Points for Foghat because no one else has ever put Foghat in the top 5 of the 70's on any list but their 'favorite bands' list and that is all that matters. Being popular or selling albums is how you get NSYNC and The Backstreet Boys...not 'The Magician of Slide'...Rod MFing Price!

My picks for the 70s all got their start in the 60s, but when I hear their names I always associate them with the 70s. My picks, in order

1. Mudhoney - I am a huge "grunge" fan and Mudhoney imo is one of the bands I would say really embodied that sound. I would say they are probably my second favorite band and I listen to them regularly, old songs and new. My favorite song of theirs is actually from 2006, but I'll list my favorite of theirs from the 80s.
    Favorite song: Sweet Young Thing Ain't Sweet No More (1988)

2. Nirvana - They were really the launching pad for 90s alternative and grunge to take over the mainstream in the 90s. I would probably rate Nirvana as my third favorite band. Love them or hate them, they had a huge impact on rock music.
    Favorite song: Heart-Shaped Box (1993)

3. Sonic Youth - I'm a big Sonic Youth can and really dig their experimental sound and "noise" rock. I think that Goo is one of the best and underrated alternative rock albums.
    Favorite song: Teen Age Riot (1988)

4. Soundgarden - While I love Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder, Chris Cornell was probably the best frontman of the grunge bands. All 3 of their albums from the 90s remain staples of what I listen to.
    Favorite song: Outshined (1991)

5. Mother Love Bone - Another Seattle band that was Pearl Jam before Pearl Jam. Andy Wood was a charismatic front man and seemed to be destined for stardom. Thankfully for me, Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament decided to continue their musical relationship after Wood's death.
    Favorite song: Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns (1989)

As an aside, it's kind of funny that I list Mudhoney and Mother Love Bone, but not Green River. While Green River is generally considered to be the first grunge band, I much prefer the two bands started after Green River's breakup.

I know I've left off some great bands and artists, especially from the 70s now that I've updated this list (damn this was hard), but these are my favorites. I feel like both decades could have had its own thread and 5 selections still wouldn't be enough lol.
    Last edited by markymark550; 05-29-2019 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Updated based on discussion in thread

Quote Originally Posted by cocky0 View Post
    Well the good thing about Guns N' Roses is that they stretched into the 90s with November Rain (and probably a lot of people's favorite tune of theirs). While I love 80s music, and hair bands in particular, I recognize that there are a lot of bands and singers from that decade who had a couple of good songs and not much else. The same could be said about a lot of the artists from the 50s for that matter.
    That's what I didn't like about the majority of the 80s. There were several bands from the late 60 and the
    70s that changed their entire stage persona in order to gain popularity that was being showcased by MTV
    and Video Music. It did "revive" a lot of careers from bands that were stalling out ( KISS, Heart, Rod Stewart,
    J. Geils Band ..........), but IMO they actually lowered their standard ( so-to-speak) in order to get the
    recognition). Other bands actually did revive and thrive during that decade with the help of MTV though.
    John Mellencamp, Journey, Styx and even Aerosmith used music videos and MTV News to get back to the
    top of the music world after having gone through some rough patches in recordings and tours. The known acts
    though were OK to hear more about ( for fans of my age), but the rest of the 80s was really "BIZARRE" if you
    were a person who loved and followed Rock n Roll through the late 50s, or 60s and 70s .... It was a huge wave
    of Techno Rock, Dance Oriented CRAP, and bands trying to Out Artsy the latest New Artist that just made it
    to the top of the Music Video playlist. I hate to use the term because it sounds prejudice, but I called that
    decade of music the "Gay Music Explosion". I know now after having gone through it, it was just another
    era in music that was generated and catapulted to prominence, For / and by younger music fans coming into
    their own, and those older Rock Bands were just caught up in it. They either used it and progress (Like Aerosmith)
    or they tried to use and failed miserably and died forever ( * See Jefferson Airplane / Jefferson Starship / Starship's career).
    The majority of the music of the 80s however was overrun by the "Disco of the 80s" called (whatever you want to
    classify it as) either Glam Rock, Hair Metal, Glitter Rock etc.... That started with bands like Quiet Riot, Motley Crue,
    Ratt ...... and ended up as One hit wonders or short term experiments before crashing and burning.
    There were a few band though that came out of the wave that I really liked. Dokken, Cinderella, Queensryche, Tesla
    and I think the Kings of that wave of music were Van Halen, Def Leppard and Guns and Roses.
    Even in all that Odd Decade, there were some bands that had just formed in the late 70s and made it to the top
    at the turn of the Decade. Def Leppard and Van Halen being mentioned already. The Cars and Cheap Trick as
    well. .. but acts that actually formed and started during the 80s had a few spots of brillance and some songs that
    you just liked for one reason or other. As a whole, IT SUCKED but there were a lot of Big ass Diamonds among
    the Dung heap.

Quote Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
    My picks for the 70s all got their start in the 60s, but when I hear their names I always associate them with the 70s. My picks, in order

1. Mudhoney - I am a huge "grunge" fan and Mudhoney imo is one of the bands I would say really embodied that sound. I would say they are probably my second favorite band and I listen to them regularly, old songs and new. My favorite song of theirs is actually from 2006, but I'll list my favorite of theirs from the 80s.
    Favorite song: Sweet Young Thing Ain't Sweet No More (1988)

2. Sonic Youth - I'm a big Sonic Youth can and really dig their experimental sound and "noise" rock. I think that Goo is one of the best and underrated alternative rock albums.
    Favorite song: Teen Age Riot (1988)

3. Mother Love Bone - Another Seattle band that was Pearl Jam before Pearl Jam. Andy Wood was a charismatic front man and seemed to be destined for stardom. Thankfully for me, Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament decided to continue their musical relationship after Wood's death.
    Favorite song: Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns (1989)

4. Led Zeppelin - I've always considered them the biggest band of the 70s, even though they started in the 60s. IV (Zoso) is a classic album that I can listen to over and over.
    Favorite song: Black Dog (1971) and rumor has it that there is a photo of me using a tennis racket as a guitar and jamming out with this song lol

5. Neil Young - The "Godfather of Grunge" so I couldn't leave him out. Big influence on 90s grunge and alt-rock bands that I love.
    Favorite song: Heart of Gold (1972)

As an aside, it's kind of funny that I list Mudhoney and Mother Love Bone, but not Green River. While Green River is generally considered to be the first grunge band, I much prefer the two bands started after Green River's breakup.

I know I've left off some great bands and artists and have had to edit my list (damn this was hard), but these are my favorites. I feel like both decades could have had its own thread and 5 selections still wouldn't be enough lol.
    Good list of bands, but Zeppelin and Neil Young were around and started their careers before 1970. Zep's
    first album was released in 1968 and Neil Young and Crazy Horses also released their first album in 1968.
    Young had been around since the very early 60s with Buffalo Springfield. I'd consider these artist acts of
    the 50s and 60s era of Rock.

Good list of bands, but Zeppelin and Neil Young were around and started their careers before 1970. Zep's
    first album was released in 1968 and Neil Young and Crazy Horses also released their first album in 1968.
    Young had been around since the very early 60s with Buffalo Springfield. I'd consider these artist acts of
    the 50s and 60s era of Rock.
    Agree to disagree on that. I don't think starting in one decade means they have to be placed there, especially if they gained more notoriety in a later decade. Technically, Nirvana would be an 80s band, but to not include them in the 90s is ludicrous.

Been caught moddin' Spur's Addiction's Avatar

In no particular order.

Tom Petty - One of the best songwriters of the era. Pumping out hits for decades. Always liked his music. Hard to pick a favorite song. I alwayslike this one.

Van Halen - Growing up this was one of my favorite bands. Both the DLR version and the Van Hagar version. Still listen to them regularly. Fair Warning is my favorite album form them. Less commercial and a bit darker then a lot of their stuff.

Widespread Panic - Not everyone is into jam bands. But this is my favorite jam band. They started in the late 80's with Space Wrangler. An album filled with a ton of chill tunes. This one is my favorite. Michael Houser's guitar just melts into this song like butter.

Jane's Addiction - Most people think of them as a 90's band. But their 1988 release of "Nothing's Shocking" was groundbreaking in the era of hair bands.

Queen - Not much to say about Queen. One of the original glam bands. Too many classic song to choose from. This one was one of their last ones, written and sung with Freddy mercury more or less on his death bed.

Quote Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
    Agree to disagree on that. I don't think starting in one decade means they have to be placed there, especially if they gained more notoriety in a later decade. Technically, Nirvana would be an 80s band, but to not include them in the 90s is ludicrous.
    That would be like saying that Fleetwood Mac was definitely a band of the 70s and 80s when they
    were a solid band that came out of the 60s having first produced three albums prior to 1970. They didn't
    get world wide "fame" or notoriety until having gone through several lineup changes and lead guitarist
    and finally bringing Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks on board in the mid 70s. The guidelines was simply
    to find out what were your favorite bands / artists that got their start in a defined era. Not when they
    became the most popular among fans. If you used that rule of thumb you'd get responses saying that The
    Rolling Stones were a band of the 70s and 80s as well. OR you could get opinions that Aerosmith was a
    product of the 80s / 90s and beyond.
    One of the reasons for doing this kind of discussion thread is to get an idea of Music interest based on age
    and kinds of music styles. If you were a teenager in the early 60s you'd understand well why The Beatles
    were Hotter than train smoke when they first came to America in 1963, but if you were like me, I was 9
    years old when they appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show that year. I saw it, I saw and heard the "aftermath"
    of it on the news, in the papers and heard it constantly on the radio and at that age I didn't understand
    what all the yelling, crying and fainting was all about. .... I realized it about 4-5 years later when they were
    nearing the end of their career that they changed Rock n Roll during those years and are basically the
    founders of what it is still today. Yet if you were only 7-8 or 9 when they finally called it quits in the early
    70s, you form an entirely different opinion of their massive influence on the music because all you have to
    go by is what you saw or heard or read about.

Ok, I yield. Updated my list in both threads. 70s get no love from me lol.

1970's:

UFO - Michael Schenker may be the most underated hard rock guitarist of all time...even though he is one of the most influencial and higly regarded guitarist in hard rock history. Dimebag Darrel used to warm up every night by playing Schenker solos. Kirk Hammiit from Metallica famously knows every UFO song start to finish. Mike McCready from Pearl Jam plays an annual benefit show as a member of a UFO cover band. Dave Mustain, Slash, Randy Rhoades, Adrian Smith of Iron Maiden...it goes on and on. Songs like 'Rock Bottom' 'Doctor Doctor', 'Light Outs', 'Love to Love', 'High Flyer', 'Natural Thing' etc. are as good as the genre has ever produced. Their live album 'Strangers in the Night' is one of the best live albums of all time. Schenker's guitar work here is absolutely jaw-dropping. Phil Mogg on vocals, Pete Way on bass and Andy Parker on drums simply do not get the credit they deserve for helping create and shape the entire genre moving forward and very few...if any...ever did it as well.

Thin Lizzy - Everybody knows 'Jailbreak' and 'The Boys are Back in Town' but there are literally dozens of terrific songs mostly written by the late great Phil Lynott. They were stories being told by an Irish poet. They were like a street gang singing about fighting and drinking and dope and war and girls...life. They had some of the best hard rock guitarists ever in the band at one time or another...Brian Robertson, Scott Gorham, Gary Moore, John Sykes...but it was Phil Lynott as bass player, singer, songwriter, frontman, leader of the gang that made them so special. 'Bad Reputation', 'Cowboy Song', 'Got to Give it Up', 'Johnny', 'The Emerald', 'Cold Sweat'...it goes on and on...a better live band than studio...their masterpiece 'Live and Dangerous' is truly one of the all time greats!!

The Rolling Stones - Yes they started in the 60's but their 'Exile on Main Street' and 'Sticky Fingers' with Mick Taylor on guitar is truly what makes the Stones one of the greatest rock n roll bands to ever exist. Those albums ARE sex, drugs and rock n roll!!!

The Who
    - Again started in the 60's but released 'Who's Next', 'Quadrophinia', 'Live at Leeds', 'The Kids Are Alright', 'Who Are You', etc. all in the 70's. 'Won't Get Fooled Again', 'Baba O'Riley', 'The Real Me', 'Behind Blue Eyes', '5:15'...at this point in their career I believe Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey, Keith Moon and the greatest bass player of all time...John Entwistle...are possibly the greatest rock band of all time.

The Clash - With the release of 'The Clash' and then the all-time great 'London Calling'...with songs like 'Clash City Rockers' and my favorite Clash song of all time '(White Man) At Hammersmith Palais' released between the two...the Clash changed EVERYTHING....overnight. There was nothing even close before and there hasn't been anyone like them since. It was political and urgent and diverse and historic. They really did change everything and became 'The only band that matters' for that handful of years when they were at their peak.
    Last edited by LBC; 05-29-2019 at 10:36 AM.