Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ROCK MUSIC LOVERS: Favorite Artists of the 70s and 80s

Default Re: ROCK MUSIC LOVERS: Favorite Artists of the 70s and 80s

Quote Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
    Ok, I yield. Updated my list. 70s get no love from me lol.
    It's cool with me if you wanted to place them on your list of 70s / 80s. It's not a big deal. It's all about
    the discussion of Rock Music, and people's opinions vary. Like I said above, it's cool to see young people
    view a band from their early recollection of rock music when they were "coming of age" and understanding
    their personal favorites. ( artists and styles ). As long as no one starts listing 8 or 9 bands and 3 or 4 songs
    to get in their "honorable mentions" on the lists. It's interesting seeing a person list a product of the 60s (or
    other era) as a favorite band / act of theirs from a later decade because that's when they started getting
    into music.
    Funny story on this line.
    I was hooked on Aerosmith when I first heard them being played on WQOK / Greenville one night when I
    was out on a date in 1973. They used to have this segment when they would get a soon to be released Album
    from a new artist, and would play one or two songs off of it, and ask people to call in and give them their
    opinions of the group. Aerosmith was due to release the Album "Aerosmith" within that month and their first
    attempt at a single was Write Me A Letter. They played that and One Way Street. I was blown away with
    those (especially One Way Street ). Went out and bought the Album when it was released and DAMN !!
    The whole record was Gold. Couldn't understand why they didn't release Dream On as the first single.......
    Anyway, fast forward 15 years. I'm a married man for 11 years and I have two sons. My youngest son
    7 years old at the time, and I were talking about music, and I asked him what kind of music he liked.
    He said his favorite right now was by a new band he had watched on MTV called Aerosmith. He LOVED
    the song Angel that had just been released as their new single and new video.
    You should have seen the look on his face when I told him Aerosmith had been around about 11 years
    before he was born !

Last edited by Spurticus; 05-29-2019 at 03:34 PM.

picking only five artists from the 70's and 80's is bananas, but okay. Also, I'm defining it by the decade they were most proficient, not when they first released an album.

1 Pink Floyd

2 David Bowie

3 Steely Dan

4 Led Zepplin

5 Prince
    Always remember... stay Feisty.

I dropped the ball on David Bowie...Ziggy Stardust is possibly among the top five albums ever released...ever.

I'm also refusing to combine the 70's and 80's into some kind of singular group...that's sheer idiocy.

Quote Originally Posted by LBC View Post
    1970's:

UFO - Michael Schenker may be the most underated hard rock guitarist of all time...even though he is one of the most influencial and higly regarded guitarist in hard rock history. Dimebag Darrel used to warm up every night by playing Schenker solos. Kirk Hammiit from Metallica famously knows every UFO song start to finish. Mike McCready from Pearl Jam plays an annual benefit show as a member of a UFO cover band. Dave Mustain, Slash, Randy Rhoades, Adrian Smith of Iron Maiden...it goes on and on. Songs like 'Rock Bottom' 'Doctor Doctor', 'Light Outs', 'Love to Love', 'High Flyer', 'Natural Thing' etc. are as good as the genre has ever produced. Their live album 'Strangers in the Night' is one of the best live albums of all time. Schenker's guitar work here is absolutely jaw-dropping. Phil Mogg on vocals, Pete Way on bass and Andy Parker on drums simply do not get the credit they deserve for helping create and shape the entire genre moving forward and very few...if any...ever did it as well.

Thin Lizzy - Everybody knows 'Jailbreak' and 'The Boys are Back in Town' but there are literally dozens of terrific songs mostly written by the late great Phil Lynott. They were stories being told by an Irish poet. They were like a street gang singing about fighting and drinking and dope and war and girls...life. They had some of the best hard rock guitarists ever in the band at one time or another...Brian Robertson, Scott Gorham, Gary Moore, John Sykes...but it was Phil Lynott as bass player, singer, songwriter, frontman, leader of the gang that made them so special. 'Bad Reputation', 'Cowboy Song', 'Got to Give it Up', 'Johnny', 'The Emerald', 'Cold Sweat'...it goes on and on...a better live band than studio...their masterpiece 'Live and Dangerous' is truly one of the all time greats!!

The Rolling Stones - Yes they started in the 60's but their 'Exile on Main Street' and 'Sticky Fingers' with Mick Taylor on guitar is truly what makes the Stones one of the greatest rock n roll bands to ever exist. Those albums ARE sex, drugs and rock n roll!!!

The Who
    - Again started in the 60's but released 'Who's Next', 'Quadrophinia', 'Live at Leeds', 'The Kids Are Alright', 'Who Are You', etc. all in the 70's. 'Won't Get Fooled Again', 'Baba O'Riley', 'The Real Me', 'Behind Blue Eyes', '5:15'...at this point in their career I believe Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey, Keith Moon and the greatest bass player of all time...John Entwistle...are possibly the greatest rock band of all time.

The Clash - With the release of 'The Clash' and then the all-time great 'London Calling'...with songs like 'Clash City Rockers' and my favorite Clash song of all time '(White Man) At Hammersmith Palais' released between the two...the Clash changed EVERYTHING....overnight. There was nothing even close before and there hasn't been anyone like them since. It was political and urgent and diverse and historic. They really did change everything and became 'The only band that matters' for that handful of years when they were at their peak.
    i had Force It on 8 track.Shoot Shoot is a great song.A girl I was dating turned me on to Thin Lizzy.I know I've heard Johnny the Fox 1000 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
    In no particular order.

Tom Petty - One of the best songwriters of the era. Pumping out hits for decades. Always liked his music. Hard to pick a favorite song. I alwayslike this one.

Van Halen - Growing up this was one of my favorite bands. Both the DLR version and the Van Hagar version. Still listen to them regularly. Fair Warning is my favorite album form them. Less commercial and a bit darker then a lot of their stuff.

Widespread Panic - Not everyone is into jam bands. But this is my favorite jam band. They started in the late 80's with Space Wrangler. An album filled with a ton of chill tunes. This one is my favorite. Michael Houser's guitar just melts into this song like butter.

Jane's Addiction - Most people think of them as a 90's band. But their 1988 release of "Nothing's Shocking" was groundbreaking in the era of hair bands.

Queen - Not much to say about Queen. One of the original glam bands. Too many classic song to choose from. This one was one of their last ones, written and sung with Freddy mercury more or less on his death bed.
    If you like Widespread,check out Jupiter Coyote,especially the Wade album.

Quote Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
    It's cool with me if you wanted to place them on your list of 70s / 80s. It's not a big deal. It's all about
    the discussion of Rock Music, and people's opinions vary. Like I said above, it's cool to see young people
    view a band from their early recollection of rock music when they were "coming of age" and understanding
    their personal favorites. ( artists and styles ). As long as no one starts listing 8 or 9 bands and 3 or 4 songs
    to get in their "honorable mentions" on the lists. It's interesting seeing a person list a product of the 60s (or
    other era) as a favorite band / act of theirs from a later decade because that's when they started getting
    into music.
    Funny story on this line.
    I was hooked on Aerosmith when I first heard them being played on WQOK / Greenville one night when I
    was out on a date in 1973. They used to have this segment when they would get a soon to be released Album
    from a new artist, and would play one or two songs off of it, and ask people to call in and give them their
    opinions of the group. Aerosmith was due to release the Album "Aerosmith" within that month and their first
    attempt at a single was Write Me A Letter. They played that and One Way Street. I was blown away with
    those (especially One Way Street ). Went out and bought the Album when it was released and DAMN !!
    The whole record was Gold. Couldn't understand why they didn't release Dream On as the first single.......
    Anyway, fast forward 15 years. I'm a married man for 11 years and I have two sons. My youngest son
    7 years old at the time, and I were talking about music, and I asked him what kind of music he liked.
    He said his favorite right now was by a new band he had watched on MTV called Aerosmith. He LOVED
    the song Angle that had just been released as their new single and new video.
    You should have seen the look on his face when I told him Aerosmith had been around about 11 years
    before he was born !

Wait.

You're an Aerosmith fan?
    ----------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
    I just went back and read my response above, and did in fact overlook Def Leppard as an 80s band that is still going pretty
    strong today. I just saw a recent concert of theirs on Axis TV and was really surprised that they still play with the energy
    and "Power" that they do. So many bands that were really good when they started out faded a lot as a live act when the
    years got behind them. REO Speedwagon, and Cheap Trick are bands that were fantastic live shows when they first started
    their careers, but to see them now is really hard to imagine why they still want to tour and play. At points it's hard to watch
    them try draw crowds even at small venues. Heart was another band that i'd like to have put on my list of five, but they were
    "JUST" outside the bubble of talent level of those I did chose. They still do decent job on stage now, but definitely not the
    strong force they were in the best years of their career.
    Other bands /acts though have shown a brilliance at holding on to the chemistry and energy that made them good when
    they were selling out arenas in the 70s and 80s. Bad Company is still a really good live act, and Bob Segar can still put on
    a good show. If they still "Go It" I'm glad to see 'em still Flaunting it, with some others though, it's time to let your
    resume prove your worth to the music. Some of 'em want to hang on way too long.
    What makes Def Leppard stand apart from other 80s bands are a few things. They still work REALLY hard. They just don't go out and play to rekindle the memories. They still see themselves as a relevant band today and still put out albums. Secondly, they keep themselves in decent shape. Phil Collen is the the most fit guitarist of any band member from an 80s band. He's more fit than a lot of guys today. They are all in decent shape. Finally, their vocals are better than pretty much any band out there. Yes, they still play with energy but as a group they probably sing better than any other group.

There's a song they did recently called "We Belong" where every member of the band sings a verse. They all do backing vocals really well but you get to hear how well all of them sing individually. They've always stated how hard they work on vocals and it's very evident here. My favorite is the opening line of the second verse. Rick Allen is well known for his one arm drumming and he often is quiet and doesn't like the attention. However, I love hearing him step up and sing.

Not only did I drop the ball on Bowie but I think I need to put The Faces in my top 5 of the 70's
    Last edited by LBC; 05-31-2019 at 09:35 PM.

My Five Favorite Picks Are:

1. Eagles - Greatest all round band to ever come out of the USA. The guitars rifts between Walsh and Don Felder were just amazing. The vocal talents of these guys/song writing talent/knowing when to allow different lead vocals - even with the changing members from time to time always seem to make them better - except when Don Henley and Glen Frey fired Don Felder. The Eagles lost something with their sound and if you had ever seen them perform with Don Felder and then without him in the lineup - you would quickly see. It was like seeing the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson was not on stage with them. The Eagles were still great, but like many outstanding bands when they lose a vital part of the machine - they tend to drop a little. Still got to rank them as the #1 Band in our nation.
    2. Lynard Skynard - These boys from Bama (for the most part) could rock the world with their own special style of "Southern Rock & Roll" and we lost a great band when they went down in the plane. Granted another version of them continue on with a pretty impressive lineup - but the original group was the one all of us "Southern Boys" would hang our hats on - especially when they answered Neil Young for his gutless song about the Southern Men.
    3. Marshall Tucker Band - Yes, you really had to love their version of Southern Rock - but these guys - with a little help from Charlie Daniels were pioneers in the Southern Rock Sound that is clearly now the main line of Country Music. "Can't You See" - how many of us have had a beer to that song - feeling bad or upset with our woman at that time??? Just kind of went with the moment.
    4. B.T.O. These guys came out at the right time with their own version of high energy rock & roll and for a while in the 70's were consider the Super Group by many of their peers. "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet - Taking Care Of Business" and many more. Just love these guys and their style of music.
    5. Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band - Yes he did start out in the 60's, but really became successful in the 70's. Great singer and writer of songs. Fire Lake - Turn The Page & Help Co-Write "There's Going To Be A Heartache Tonight" - Sung by the Eagles. He was the personal mentor of Glen Frey of the Eagles and taught Glen Frey the tricks of the trade. I think that is why Glen Frey came out looking like such an ass during the documentary as he knew how to run the business side and also how to run the recording studio from Bob Seger.

1980's:

1. Husker Du - Makes No Sense At All...I was obsessed with Husker Du for about a year and a half
    2. Motorhead - Bomber...technically came out in 79 but Ace of Spades dropped in 80 so BOOM!!
    3. Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell...I believe the 80's/Dio fronted H&H...and most of Mob Rules...is the best thing Sabbath ever did...hate away!!
    4. The Replacements - Alex Chilton/Bastards of Young
    5. The Cure - Boys Don't Cry/Just Like Heaven...Robert Smith is a pop song writing genius
    Last edited by LBC; 06-09-2019 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
    In no particular order.

Tom Petty - One of the best songwriters of the era. Pumping out hits for decades. Always liked his music. Hard to pick a favorite song. I alwayslike this one.
    It's amazing how much you can like a band / artist when they first break out and make an impression, yet not really understand
    the depth of that impact until years later. Sometimes even decades. I took an immediate like to Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
    in the late 70s, and went out and bought their first album based upon hearing Breakdown a couple of weeks before the release of
    the album. Once the album came out and I listened to it, I knew they were a good band. American Girl was a fun song to listen
    to, and was released as a single several weeks later. I thought Mystery Man was the best song on that album. It was not straight
    out Rock n Roll like the majority of the tracks, but it was a slide guitar blues song that sounded like it was heavily influenced by
    Van Morrison's vocal style and down home southern blues music flavor.
    Over the years I grew to like this guy and his band more and more. I always told people he was an R&B version of Bob Dylan.
    He had the same kind of vocal style. Songwriting though was just all over the place. Petty had a multitude of influences that
    he let out in his music and songs. Early on you could feel Gene Clark and Roger Mcguinn (The Byrds) in so many of his early
    hits. Some of his other stuff sounded a lot like the early 70s Rolling Stones and the Beatles. Didn't matter who it sounded
    like or reminded you of, It was DAMN GOOD ROCK AND ROLL !
    Petty's already impressive resume of songs was elevated to a whole new level of high when he brought Jeff Lynn into his
    inner circle to help produce and write songs for some of his later albums. You could hear that influence on most of his
    work after he started doing solo albums and it was there I think he stopped being influenced by other artists and started being
    a force in the world and started influencing younger up and coming artists.
    As much as I like his music throughout his career, it wasn't until after his death a couple of years ago that I started to study this
    mans work and his life, and his attitude toward his music and his own life. The guy was a genius at mixing his words (poetry) with
    the music that turned it into a song. He knew the direction he wanted it to go, and conveyed that to the musicians that would help
    him bring it to life. The man is gone, but what a life and career he had, and he made sure with the music he made through 5 decades
    that he would Never be forgotten.