Thread: PRO FOOTBALL HAS LOST ONE OF ITS LEGENDS: Bart Starr has died at the age of 85

Default PRO FOOTBALL HAS LOST ONE OF ITS LEGENDS: Bart Starr has died at the age of 85

Bart Starr, the first quarterback to ever win five NFL championships,
    died Sunday in Birmingham, Alabama, the Packers said. He was 85.
    “We are saddened to note the passing of our husband, father, grandfather, and friend,
    Bart Starr,” his family said in a statement. “He battled with courage and determination
    to transcend the serious stroke he suffered in September 2014, but his most recent illness
    was too much to overcome.”
    https://people.com/sports/bart-starr-dies-at-85/

I've been a Packers fan as long as I've been a Gamecock Fan, and this would be the
    equivalent to hearing about the death of Tommy Suggs, or Jeff Grantz. Bart Starr was
    my first ever sports "idol". I was blessed with the privilege of seeing him play with the
    Packers in the prime of his career. As a Packer fan, it was well known that Bart was near
    the end of life's journey for several years. His family were called in to his hospital bedside
    on two occasions over the past 4-5 years, but as he did during his pro career, he fought
    off death to pull out victories over the Reaper, and prove he was still hard to beat. But as
    in sports, there are going to be losses in life, in spite of ones best efforts.

Rest In Peace now Bart. God bless his family as they morn his passing.

Default Re: PRO FOOTBALL HAS LOST ONE OF ITS LEGENDS: Bart Starr has died at the age of 85

Quote Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
    https://people.com/sports/bart-starr-dies-at-85/

I've been a Packers fan as long as I've been a Gamecock Fan, and this would be the
    equivalent to hearing about the death of Tommy Suggs, or Jeff Grantz. Bart Starr was
    my first ever sports "idol". I was blessed with the privilege of seeing him play with the
    Packers in the prime of his career. As a Packer fan, it was well known that Bart was near
    the end of life's journey for several years. His family were called in to his hospital bedside
    on two occasions over the past 4-5 years, but as he did during his pro career, he fought
    off death to pull out victories over the Reaper, and prove he was still hard to beat. But as
    in sports, there are going to be losses in spite of ones best efforts.

Rest In Peace now Bart. God bless his family as they morn his passing.
    Spurt, as noted in past threads, our age is very close, so I am not surprised by your post as I agree with it, fully.
    Starr was my first football idol, a pro version of Connor Shaw in that he was a superb field general and maxed out his fairly average talent.

What I miss is back in those days the QB's called their own plays and few were better in that regard. I recall many times, in big games, if it were third or fourth and a yard or less, he would have everyone bunched at the LOS and fake the expected run up the middle of the line only to throw a bomb to the only WR for a long gain or a TD.

Those were the days. I feel sorry for those who missed the Golden Age of sports. A more simple and enjoyable time, in all sports.

Here is a short clip of the famous Ice Bowl and of the last drive. Watching the game on TV, as a kid, I knew somehow, someway, Starr would get GB into the end zone to win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhNn7ENixBY
    Last edited by brat; 05-26-2019 at 07:09 PM.
    "When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant