Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linda Ronstadt talks about The Eagles

Default Linda Ronstadt talks about The Eagles

Default Re: Linda Ronstadt talks about The Eagles

The best female vocalist of all time. So sad to see her today fighting Parkinson's and still has an
    extremely positive outlook on her life and for her future. I know a songbird like her is still dying
    to sing, but sad to know that her voice has been silenced.

Don and Glenn have spoken very highly of Linda through their whole career and after they decided to
    go out on their own and form the Eagles, Linda still contributed to their early start and supported them
    until present day. Linda along with Jackson Browne, and John David Souther were major factors in the
    rise and booming career of The Eagles.

Linda Ronstadt was a remarkable singer! But Pat Benatar was better!

Quote Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
    The best female vocalist of all time. So sad to see her today fighting Parkinson's and still has an
    extremely positive outlook on her life and for her future. I know a songbird like her is still dying
    to sing, but sad to know that her voice has been silenced.

Don and Glenn have spoken very highly of Linda through their whole career and after they decided to
    go out on their own and form the Eagles, Linda still contributed to their early start and supported them
    until present day. Linda along with Jackson Browne, and John David Souther were major factors in the
    rise and booming career of The Eagles.
    She has a great voice,no doubt.I'd put her at 1B,with Emmylou Harris at 1A.

Quote Originally Posted by zappa View Post
    She has a great voice,no doubt.I'd put her at 1B,with Emmylou Harris at 1A.
    I forgot Emmylou! But still give me Pat Benatar! Amazing wind pipes!

All a matter of personal opinion and one's genre of choice.
    I think Ronstadt's work in several different genres over her career and her ability to perform
    and record masterpiece works in all of them show her range of vocal skills and her talent.
    She started out singing and performing in a Folk Music trio with her brother and a friend and got
    very well known locally. She formed and Joined a Rock band ( Stone Poneys ) that charted a
    couple of singles while with them. After going solo, her music expanded to the Country Rock craze
    that had started in several spots in the Country, but mainly on the West Coast ( L.A. area primarily ).
    That's where she got most of her national attention and famous connections. Rock Stations played
    her music as Rock n Roll, while she was charting singles on Country Music charts. She decided after
    a while to try to expand her art and vocal skills and got into recording Soul and Blues with several
    different artists, and then went on a two/three year tour with a Gospel Choir and then started doing
    a few tours with a Mariachi band. She had also performed in Opera and Classical Orchestras as well.

For my personal opinion and flavor of Music, there is not a close second to her being the best female
    vocalist. If I had to pick a list of five in my lifetime:

1. Linda Ronstadt
    2. Stevie Nicks
    3. Enya
    4. Alison Krauss
    5. Sarah McLachlan

Spurt, you forgot her award winning albums with Nelson Riddle doing songs from the era called "The Great American Songbook" which covered roughly anything from the 1920s - to the early 1950s.

Agree she probably had the best voice of all and covered a wider genre of music, but I would put her just a shade behind the two best recording artists of the last century:

Ella Fitzgerald for the overall style of inflections and interpretation and Judy Garland for her overall presentation and performance in which it felt like she was living the lyrics and she put everything she had into it to where it seemed she was both singing to everyone within earshot and/or just to you.

I also believe if Patsy Cline had not died when she did and crossed over more into mainstream music, no telling the heights she would have reached. Another epic voice.
    "When I was young I looked like Al Capone, but I lacked his compassion." - Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by brat View Post
    Spurt, you forgot her award winning albums with Nelson Riddle doing songs from the era called "The Great American Songbook" which covered roughly anything from the 1920s - to the early 1950s.

Agree she probably had the best voice of all and covered a wider genre of music, but I would put her just a shade behind the two best recording artists of the last century:

Ella Fitzgerald for the overall style of inflections and interpretation and Judy Garland for her overall presentation and performance in which it felt like she was living the lyrics and she put everything she had into it to where it seemed she was both singing to everyone within earshot and/or just to you.

I also believe if Patsy Cline had not died when she did and crossed over more into mainstream music, no telling the heights she would have reached. Another epic voice.
    She was to vocal styles, what Eric Clapton was to Guitar Music. Clapton was steeped in Blues, but the guy continuously
    dabbled into other genres and melted that into his Rock / Blues foundation. Country, Reggae, Folk, Gospel etc... Clapton
    was a talented musician that did not rest on, or got locked into a style. Like Ronstadt though, every area he "Dabbled" in
    was blessed with some major contributions from those artists.
    Last edited by Spurticus; 05-31-2019 at 05:27 AM.

Her Early Rock side. ... getting her legs under her career

Breaking out as a Country/Rock artist.
    ( my favorite song by her )

That good looking lady could Rock her Ass Off !

She could do about anything she wanted to do

2nd Team All-SEC Senior Rooster's Avatar

THANKS SPURT!!!!!
    I SO ENJOYED THOSE.
    ONE OF THE GREATEST!!!!!1

OORAH!!!!!!!

What a voice, what a cutie...and she rally cared/cares about her craft.

🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓

1A-Emmylou
    1B-Linda
    3-Nina Simone
    4-Gladys Knight
    5-Dionne Warwick

Ronstadt was remarkable! During her career she worked with some of the best songwriters and producers in history! Benatar a superior singing talent was undermined and pigeonholed by her boyfriend/jimmy's overbearing ego! The best producers ever begged to work with her and change the course of her career.

1. Aretha Franklin
    2. Peggy Lee
    3. Chaka khan
    4. Pat Benatar
    5. Linda Ronstad t
    6. Eva Cassidy
    7. Whitney Houston
    8. EmmyLou Harris
    9. Dionne Warwick
    0. Karen Carpenter

Quote Originally Posted by AmonRa777 View Post
    Ronstadt was remarkable! During her career she worked with some of the best songwriters and producers in history! Benatar a superior singing talent was undermined and pigeonholed by her boyfriend/jimmy's overbearing ego! The best producers ever begged to work with her and change the course of her career.

1. Aretha Franklin
    2. Peggy Lee
    3. Chaka khan
    4. Pat Benatar
    5. Linda Ronstad t
    6. Eva Cassidy
    7. Whitney Houston
    8. EmmyLou Harris
    9. Dionne Warwick
    0. Karen Carpenter
    Karen Carpenter was a very good singer.Rainy Days and Mondays,We've only just begun,Close to you,Let me be the one,and several more beautifully sung,well produced tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonRa777 View Post
    Linda Ronstadt was a remarkable singer! But Pat Benatar was better!

I will have to disagree with you on this subject. I dearly loved Pat Benatar - but Linda Ronstadt had such a great voice and could sing just about anything thing out there from Rock & Roll to Country Rock - even some Hispanic songs. Linda Ronstadt cover of "Blue Bayou" was better than the original and on top of all that - she was a dam good looking woman until time and sickness caught up with her. She was also known for having a huge impact on the Eagles getting together and helping them in any way that she could. I hate to see her going through what she is having to endure these days, but this young woman was the "The Total Package" when she was in her prime .

Could you imagine the lineup in a band if Linda Ronstadt could have gotten through her friendship and playing with most of them the following lineup for the Eagles.

Glen Frey - Rhythm Guitar - Vocals
    Randy Meisner - Bass Guitar - Vocals
    Don Henley - Drums - Vocals
    J.D. Souther - Guitar - Vocals
    Don Felder - Guitar
    Joe Walsh - Guitar - Vocals
    Jackson Browne - Piano - Vocals

Yes, this would have been a large band, but look at the song writing potential and musical talent these guys would have played and sung together. The piano of Jackson Browne and along with the creative genius for writing songs to help compliment what Don Henley and Glen Frey were writing - this would have been the "Super Group Of All Time"!!!! J.D. Souther did write several hit records for the Eagles during their recording years and would have fit in well. This collection of future super stars would have been mind blowing to the rest of the musical world once they heard them play. Yes, they would have had as many member as Chicago did in it's early days, but they were also great.

Quote Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
    Could you imagine the lineup in a band if Linda Ronstadt could have gotten through her friendship and playing with most of them the following lineup for the Eagles.

Glen Frey - Rhythm Guitar - Vocals
    Randy Meisner - Bass Guitar - Vocals
    Don Henley - Drums - Vocals
    J.D. Souther - Guitar - Vocals
    Don Felder - Guitar
    Joe Walsh - Guitar - Vocals
    Jackson Browne - Piano - Vocals

Yes, this would have been a large band, but look at the song writing potential and musical talent these guys would have played and sung together. The piano of Jackson Browne and along with the creative genius for writing songs to help compliment what Don Henley and Glen Frey were writing - this would have been the "Super Group Of All Time"!!!! J.D. Souther did write several hit records for the Eagles during their recording years and would have fit in well. This collection of future super stars would have been mind blowing to the rest of the musical world once they heard them play. Yes, they would have had as many member as Chicago did in it's early days, but they were also great.
    There was some videos that were posted on YouTube of the Eagles back in 1974 when they appeared
    on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. I remember watching that show when it originally aired. One of (if not
    THE) best DKRC shows that he ever produced. They did a a couple of their hits but they did several of
    their songs as well as other numbers with some other top acts who they "hung" with at that time. The show
    had a rare video of them doing Midnight Flyer live, and Linda Ronstadt doing a couple of songs with them
    including Take it Easy and Silver Threads and Golden Needles. They also did Bright Baby Blues with Jackson
    Browne.
    YouTube has since pulled down all those videos because a company decided to reproduce the entire show
    and remaster it, and put it out for sale. The only video you can still find on Youtube is them and Jackson
    Brown doing Bright Baby Blues. That was a hell of a show.

2nd Team All-SEC Senior Rooster's Avatar

I will have to disagree with you on this subject. I dearly loved Pat Benatar - but Linda Ronstadt had such a great voice and could sing just about anything thing out there from Rock & Roll to Country Rock - even some Hispanic songs. Linda Ronstadt cover of "Blue Bayou" was better than the original and on top of all that - she was a dam good looking woman until time and sickness caught up with her. She was also known for having a huge impact on the Eagles getting together and helping them in any way that she could. I hate to see her going through what she is having to endure these days, but this young woman was the "The Total Package" when she was in her prime .

Succinct but so true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OORAH!!!!!!!

You make great points. I enjoyed more Ronstadt songs than most female vocalist! The point I'm trying to make is Pat Benatar was wasted on poor song writers and producers! But Pat had one of the greatest gifts ever! She even sang great opera. Several top producers pleaded with her to change her approach! She was loyal to the musicians she started with to a fault! No question Linda had the superior career! But very few vocalists had pipes like Pat Benatar!

Quote Originally Posted by zappa View Post
    Karen Carpenter was a very good singer.Rainy Days and Mondays,We've only just begun,Close to you,Let me be the one,and several more beautifully sung,well produced tracks.
    I liked Karen carpenter but her voice was kind of thin.
    under a coconut tree!