Thread: LET MY INNER "STEVE IRWIN" OUT TODAY !

Default LET MY INNER "STEVE IRWIN" OUT TODAY !

Sitting in my office, minding my own business and staying out of everybody's way and our
    Shipping / Receiving guy came in right after lunch time and said that one of the ladies in our
    outside break area told him come and get me to get rid of a snake that had crawled onto
    the patio. ... Turned out to be a young Black Rat snake. He got scared and found a hiding
    place behind one of the steel beams that holds the awning up over the break area. I tried
    to get it out with a rake handle that someone brought out there, but it wasn't working. I told
    them I needed the hook I used to keep in the back of my truck. One of the guys heard me
    and brought a piece of wood that had a nice little bend on the end of it. I was able to get
    a grip on him and pull him out to the open and he started crawling off. I grabbed him by the
    tail and I thought he was going to curl around and bite, but he chilled out pretty quickly and
    let me pick him up without any issues. I didn't realize it until I got him to be still and turned
    around, that I had got a small crowd on the patio to watch. I took one step toward them and
    it cleared the area REAL FAST !!

I took the unwanted guest out to the field away from the building and let him go.

Default Re: LET MY INNER "STEVE IRWIN" OUT TODAY !

A company hero never looked so good!
    I Scream
    You Scream
    The Police Come
    Its Awkward

Quote Originally Posted by uscgmck View Post
    A company hero never looked so good!
    I'm working with this small textile company and the management staff basically has no
    set titles. We just do what needs to done to run the business. They hired me because I had
    worked in an ISO Certified Company on my previous job, and had also done a lot of work
    in that Company's Safety program. The Bulk of my job is in Quality Control, and I also do
    some Lab work, and for the past 4+ years, I also do the bulk of their Purchasing.
    I can now add to that list of "Unofficial Job Titles" ... VP of Pest Control & Relocation

Crikey!

Quote Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
    Sitting in my office, minding my own business and staying out of everybody's way and our
    Shipping / Receiving guy came in right after lunch time and said that one of the ladies in our
    outside break area told him come and get me to get rid of a snake that had crawled onto
    the patio. ... Turned out to be a young Black Rat snake. He got scared and found a hiding
    place behind one of the steel beams that holds the awning up over the break area. I tried
    to get it out with a rake handle that someone brought out there, but it wasn't working. I told
    them I needed the hook I used to keep in the back of my truck. One of the guys heard me
    and brought a piece of wood that had a nice little bend on the end of it. I was able to get
    a grip on him and pull him out to the open and he started crawling off. I grabbed him by the
    tail and I thought he was going to curl around and bite, but he chilled out pretty quickly and
    let me pick him up without any issues. I didn't realize it until I got him to be still and turned
    around, that I had got a small crowd on the patio to watch. I took one step toward them and
    it cleared the area REAL FAST !!

I took the unwanted guest out to the field away from the building and let him go.

"Billy The Exterminator" ain't got nothing on you!!!!

I'm working with this small textile company and the management staff basically has no
    set titles. We just do what needs to done to run the business. They hired me because I had
    worked in an ISO Certified Company on my previous job, and had also done a lot of work
    in that Company's Safety program. The Bulk of my job is in Quality Control, and I also do
    some Lab work, and for the past 4+ years, I also do the bulk of their Purchasing.
    I can now add to that list of "Unofficial Job Titles" ... VP of Pest Control & Relocation

Must be a really good place to work at if you are having to "wear so many different hats". I worked for a company that was sort of like that for about 3-1/2 years and then my company hired this Brain Donor from Chicago and he pretty much killed all the teamwork thing that many of us were doing at the time. This guy was so bad and so many people did not like him - the company promoted him and moved him out to be more of a regional type manager before all the good workers quit on them???

Quote Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
    Must be a really good place to work at if you are having to "wear so many different hats". I worked for a company that was sort of like that for about 3-1/2 years and then my company hired this Brain Donor from Chicago and he pretty much killed all the teamwork thing that many of us were doing at the time. This guy was so bad and so many people did not like him - the company promoted him and moved him out to be more of a regional type manager before all the good workers quit on them???

I was working for a company in Simpsonville that started out as Mt. Vernon Mills. They had plants at several different
    locations in the U.S. Mt. Vernon had a plant in Columbia that had several different types of weaving in the plant that
    is now the State Museum. They closed that operation in 1976. The company I work for now was started when the
    the guy who was over the Belting Division of that plant bought out that small part of the operation and started his
    own Company. The Mt. Vernon in Simpsonville was bought by Albany International in 1993. They were a global company
    and was expanding into Europe and Asia at the time I was laid off working with them. They're headquarters is now
    located in China.
    I got this job as a result of being good friends with the man who was in charge of the North American operation of the
    Div. I worked for. He was the best friend of the man who bought the Solid Woven Belting div. of Mt. Vernon in Columbia.

This company had four guys who put money into the business and built it to what it is today. The President of the company
    ( the guy who bought the business originally ) just recently pass away. One of the other guys who is part owner of the
    company still works there now. He and the man who just died were friends from childhood John pretty much runs the
    production area now at the age of 73. The guy comes to work everyday, helps drive a forklift, helps pack fabrics for
    shipping and works with the maintenance guys to get machines back up and running. The dude works harder than any
    3-4 people in the plant combined. We do what we have to do basically to stay in compliance with OSHA, and the City of
    Columbia, and follow the National Labor Standards, but we pretty much just do what it takes to get the job done. I keep
    the records that pertain to Quality and work with the Customers that we have agreed to specifications for the product we
    make for them. I also do the majority of purchasing of Raw materials and parts, and do all of the Lab Testing of the products
    we make. It's cool not having a Supervisor over your shoulders all the time, and the ability to "ad lib" daily to get the job done.

Woah woah woah, that’s way too bland a title. I suggest VP of Wildlife Consultation and Dispatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamecock Rob View Post
    Woah woah woah, that’s way too bland a title. I suggest VP of Wildlife Consultation and Dispatch.
    I'm down with that !!

Last edited by Spurticus; 06-07-2019 at 09:00 AM.

Been caught moddin' Spur's Addiction's Avatar

VP of snake charming

Crikey!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
    VP of snake charming
    I don't charm 'em, I just get 'em the hell out of the break area. .. The snake don't know it
    at the time, but I'm the best friend that lil sumbich has in the world at the particular moment !
    The guy that handed me the rake at first was wanting to hack that sucker into about 20 "mini
    snakes" before one of the ladies out there stopped him and told someone to go find me to let
    them know if it was a venomous snake or not. Had i decided to go out for lunch like I had
    originally thought about doing, that little Black Snake would have been a stain on the patio
    floor and a distant memory by the time I got back from lunch.

It's cool to find someone who is big into reptiles. I've had an albino cornsnake for a few years and picked up a 2 week old dwarf boa at the Greenville repticon over the weekend. Do you have any pet snakes or reptiles?

Quote Originally Posted by BigEd5033 View Post
    It's cool to find someone who is big into reptiles. I've had an albino cornsnake for a few years and picked up a 2 week old dwarf boa at the Greenville repticon over the weekend. Do you have any pet snakes or reptiles?
    Two captive bred Cornsnakes. I bought a Anery Cornsnake from a lady in Greenville about 7 years ago, and
    the next year, I bought a Motley Stripped Cornsnake at the show here in Columbia from a friend of mine that was a
    well known Herpetologist and snake breeder / seller in this area. I also had caught and raised a wild cornsnake back about
    10/12 years ago. It was badly dehydrated and I kept it for almost 6 years. She grew to about 6 feet long. I let her go because she
    would tear up her cage and go off feeding for weeks at a time around this time of year (breeding season), I finally
    decided to let her go in a wooded and low traffic area.
    I have been fascinated with snakes since I was in elementary school. My best friend and I used to catch Black Snakes
    Green Snakes, Garters and Brown snakes and sell them to a neighbor who lived behind us. We found out later that he
    was taking them to the Anderson Flea Market and selling them there. I'm still as interested in them now at the age of
    65 that I was when I was in grade school.

My cornsnake goes off feeding between March and June every year. It's worrisome and usually results in me wasting a few frozen/thawed mice. He looks healthy and is plenty lively, though.

I've always had weird pets. I wish my wife was as enthusiastic as I am about reptiles. She loathes that I have them.

At the repticon, I went to get a Blood Python, but the breeder basically talked me out of it. I kind of regret listening to him, but a more tame breed does make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEd5033 View Post
    My cornsnake goes off feeding between March and June every year. It's worrisome and usually results in me wasting a few frozen/thawed mice. He looks healthy and is plenty lively, though.

I've always had weird pets. I wish my wife was as enthusiastic as I am about reptiles. She loathes that I have them.

At the repticon, I went to get a Blood Python, but the breeder basically talked me out of it. I kind of regret listening to him, but a more tame breed does make sense.
    My mom wouldn't allow me to keep them anywhere near the house when we'd catch them so we either had to keep them at my
    friends house or hide them at my house until we got them to our neighbor. I went to a pet store in Greenville to buy my son a dog
    when he was 2. I saw a California King Snake for sale there and I wanted to buy that sucker on the spot. My Ex told me I could, but
    she would pack up, take my son and leave until the snake died 'cause she wasn't going to stay in the house with it !!!
    I stopped trying to get a snake until Just before I caught the Cornsnake that I raised. I showed my current wife one while we were at the Edsisto
    Serpentarium and told her THAT was the snake I wanted. She asked if it was venomous, and I told her they were not and very
    non aggressive. She told me she was OK with it if I bought one, but she did not want to be around me when I fed it. She has a
    Phobia of Mice and Rats and can't stand the site of even the frozen ones. I had planned on getting one in a few weeks after she said
    that, and then the following week, I caught the one I had for years where I work. I took it home and raised it until it got too
    stressful to watch it stop eating. I let it go and bought the two captive bred snakes. My wife will hold the snakes I have and has
    no problem with them. When I bought the Anery in Greenville, she got a Bearded Dragon and had it until last year and it died on her
    She says she wants to get another one, but is going to wait a year or so more before going all in on another Beardie.

That's so awesome that you two are into the hobby together.