Thread: A/V Receiver Help Needed

Default A/V Receiver Help Needed

I recently bought a new house that has built in speakers and I need to get something to plug into so I can use them. The problem that I am having is that I am not exactly that much on tech stuff and have no idea what I need to be looking for. I have looked up receivers but I really don't have any idea what 7 channel vs 5 channel even means let alone the even more technical stuff. I just want something that will be easy to get to work and without a bunch of set-up skills needed. The hook-up is already in place so all I have to do is connect the receiver to the TV and speakers. Anyone got any words of wisdom? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: A/V Receiver Help Needed

Usually, you see it broken out as 5-1 or 7-1. Your basic 5 channel layout would have a front left and right speaker (2 of the 5 channels), a front center speaker (channel #3 -- used primarily under your televsion and is your primary dialogue speaker), and then a rear left and right speaker (channels 4 and 5 -- for the "traditional" surround sound). A subwoofer for your bass dynamic makes up the -1 element. If you have 2 subwoofers, it would be a 5-2 system. With 7 channels, the additional two channels are usually placed to the side of where you will be primarily sitting to watch tv, and adds a richer surround experience.
    Bison

Heisman Candidate carolina_corpsman's Avatar

How many speakers do you have? even if its only five and a subwoofer, I would tend to lean towards something that runs 7 channels just because you can usually run the last two channels in a different zone (music in another room) Do you have a budget you want to stay under?

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ceivers/1.html

^^ would be a good place to start. I bought a refurb denon 2400 and have loved it so far, running 5.1.2 in my living room. It comes with on screen step by step directions for both connecting the speakers and using the mic to calibrate the system.

Thanks guys! Sounds like 7 channels is what I will concentrate on. I currently just watch TV and listen with a soundbar that is under the TV and a s/w that is located behind me. The system in the house consist of 3 speakers on the wall in front of me where the TV is and 2 speakers on the wall behind me. Maybe I can incorporate all the above. I am trying to stay under $500 since I don't know what the hell I am doing or really need/want but I was wanting something decent too so that I can at least learn from. I will check out the link.

Heisman Candidate carolina_corpsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CockyCody View Post
    Thanks guys! Sounds like 7 channels is what I will concentrate on. I currently just watch TV and listen with a soundbar that is under the TV and a s/w that is located behind me. The system in the house consist of 3 speakers on the wall in front of me where the TV is and 2 speakers on the wall behind me. Maybe I can incorporate all the above. I am trying to stay under $500 since I don't know what the hell I am doing or really need/want but I was wanting something decent too so that I can at least learn from. I will check out the link.
    That sounds like a 5.0 system. I would not try mixing the speakers and the sound bar and sub combo, it doesn't really work connection wise and they will just mess each other up. If you don't want extra zones or won't add speakers later and are looking to spend $500 ish, I would try and find the best 5.1 receiver for about $200-300, then save up another few hundred so you could spend that much again on a "real" subwoofer. (yes it makes that big of a difference in movies).

The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar

All it means are how many speakers you use for your system. The ".1" is for the sub-woofer, although there are some ".2" systems that use two separate sub-woofer channels.

Basically, you have the original stereo setup of 2.0, with just the left and right speaker. Then a "2.1" basic system for smaller areas, with those two speakers and a sub-woofer. The 5.1 usually consists of a center speaker, left and right speakers, left and right surround-sound speakers (these give audio for specific immersion audio like gun shots, tires squealing, glass breaking, sharp noises), and then your sub-woofer.

A 7.1 system just incorporates "rear" left and right surround-sound speakers, while the first two surround-sound speakers of a 5.1 system are the "front" left and right surround-sound speakers. So, a total of four surround-sound speakers instead of just two. In this set-up, you're in the optimal "immersion" of surround-sound, although people are able to move the first two surround-sound speakers of a 5.1 system at a 5-o-clock and 7-o-clock positioning, and leave the left and right speakers at a 9 or 10-o-clock and 2 or 3-o-clock positioning, and get most of what a more expensive 7.1 system gives.

But the size of your viewing area plays a role too. I'm old, going back to before "surround-sound" became a big thing, but I had a friend who lived in an apartment, and he basically used the two speakers of his stereo, plus the speaker of his TV set, and he could never turn his receiver above the "3" setting on his volume dial. We thought it sounded just like at the movies. But 5.1 systems are really fantastic.....