Thread: Manifest Records closed this past January

Default Manifest Records closed this past January

Went to check their Sunday hours today online and found this and a few more links.

https://www.thestate.com/news/busine...221074570.html

The store used to advertise “Take your Rock N Roll Back to School,” “Way Cool Music. Way Out Shirts,” back in the 1980s. Now, that spirit of rebellion is closing its doors. Manifest Columbia is shutting down at the end of January, according to a longtime employee.
    Always went for their used DVD and Blu-Ray titles, but occasionally needed some tunes that weren't already in my collection. New music today isn't worth paying for anyway, whether you stream it or not.

Damn.

Default Re: Manifest Records closed this past January

Quote Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
    Went to check their Sunday hours today online and found this and a few more links.

https://www.thestate.com/news/busine...221074570.html

Always went for their used DVD and Blu-Ray titles, but occasionally needed some tunes that weren't already in my collection. New music today isn't worth paying for anyway, whether you stream it or not.

Damn.
    There used to be a Manifest Records in Greenville Back in the "good ole days". I used to spend a lot of money there until
    it closed in the 90s, I lived in Columbia for about 10 years before I found out there was a Manifest records down here. My
    Brother and I were talking about some Music DVDs that we would like to find and were making plans to go over to Best
    Buy to see if we could find them. I told him that I wish the Manifest Records & Tapes was still around in Greenville because
    I used to find exactly what I was looking for there either new or used, and the prices were fantastic.
    My wife heard us, and told me we should check out the Manifest here in Columbia. She worked not far from the store and had
    seen it many times. I was shocked to hear there was a Manifest here, and wondered if it was similar to the one I used to go
    to a lot up in Greenville. We drove over there that day and ended up buying a lot of stuff. I made several trips back over there
    for the next 2-3 years. Great Selection of DVDs, CDs and accessories. Very much like the one I used to visit years ago in the
    upstate. Then they did a complete store upgrade about 4 years ago and things changed for the worse. They put in a larger
    section for Vinyl and greatly increased the Hispanic sections of DVDs and CDs. The prices increased A LOT on everything
    else almost overnight. DVDs and CDs that were low priced or very reasonably priced matched or in some cases exceeded
    the prices at places like Wal Mart, Best Buy, or any of the music stores in the Malls. They eliminated a big selection they
    had of musical instruments and accessories.They committed Suicide. They vastly changed what made them a popular store.
    Less than two years after overhauling the store I saw the sign go up that they were going out of business. I had not purchased anything
    from the store since they made the change and apparently not a whole lot of their long time customers did either. It was
    sad to see them fold like that.

Been caught moddin' Spur's Addiction's Avatar

Oh wow - I remember that place. Manifest Disc and Tapes is what I remember it being called at the time.

1st Team All-American gamecockphan's Avatar

There was one in Florence and it was a big part of growing up for many folks.

Record stores were the best. When buying CDs and tapes you got to know the artist better by listening to the entire album instead of just skipping around to your favorites on a streaming app.

The Charlotte location of Manifest is still open.

My son used to work there when he was young. Gives me a sad. I think that my buddy Harrison still has his store Pappa Jazz Records on Greene St though.
    Order Of The Spur

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Been caught moddin' Spur's Addiction's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
    My son used to work there when he was young. Gives me a sad. I think that my buddy Harrison still has his store Pappa Jazz Records on Greene St though.
    Papa Jazz was great. Used to go in there a good bit and buy / sell used CDs

Quote Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
    Oh wow - I remember that place. Manifest Disc and Tapes is what I remember it being called at the time.
    The one in Greenville had been there since the mid 70s and at first it was just called Manifest. Later they changed their name to
    Manifest Records and Tapes, then in the 80s ( with the introduction of CDs ), they changed their name again to Manifest Discs and
    Tapes. That was the name until it closed in the early 90s. I was really surprised that there was still a Manifest around. I thought the
    internet had pretty much killed off stores like that. For a couple of years though, it was like old times visiting the one here in
    Columbia. Didn't take long for it to go under though.
    Last edited by Spurticus; 06-17-2019 at 11:36 AM.

RIP

Wow....I've shopped there a long time ago: Boozer Shopping Center. Thanks for the flashback even if it's kinda sad. Didn't there used to be a comic book store next door?

I found that out about 2 months ago. I got off work early and decided to kill some time browsing their used section for "treasures" as I use to call them. Got to the store and saw it was dark and empty. There was a note on the door that I couldn't read from my truck, but I'm sure it was something about it closing. Not gonna lie, I was really disappointed it closed down.

This hurts me on a personal level. I haven't lived in Charlotte for close to 30 years and was really more of a Repo Records man...when we lived in "Stanleyville" over by the Bayou Kitchen and Jack Straw's I used to spend countless hours at Repo...but anytime one of the good record stores goes down a part of my youth goes with it. When I was a kid I used to ride my bike to Columbia Mall and literally go through the entire Record Bar...bin by bin...I know I'm about to sound really old here but...this was before anything like the internet or YouTube and I would end up buying albums based on just the cover or just because I saw a band in a magazine or a friend of mine had a different album from the same band that I just discovered that day. I spent so much time at the Record Bar they gave me a job. They literally told me 'You're' here all the time anyway so we might as well pay you to be here'. To this day the only job I've ever had that didn't feel like work.

I guess its just a sign of the times but if you ever have the chance...take the time to SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RECORD STORE!!! Still the only place you can go and touch and see and read and talk to the staff about what they may like or if they have any inside scoop or what's new that they can turn you on to...person to person. The number of times a person saw something I bought or while waiting on someone who bought X that then moves on to..."If you like this...you should check out THIS!"...and then you put it on and you/they/we listen to it together...in the store...together...is one of life's underappreciated joys!

The internet is great...especially for access to music...but there is definitely a downside.
    Last edited by LBC; 06-18-2019 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LBC View Post
    This hurts me on a personal level. I haven't lived in Charlotte for close to 30 years and was really more of a Repo Records man...when we lived in "Stanleyville" over by the Bayou Kitchen and Jack Straw's I used to spend countless hours at Repo...but anytime one of the good record stores goes down a part of my youth goes with it. When I was a kid I used to ride my bike to Columbia Mall and literally go through the entire Record Bar...bin by bin...I know I'm about to sound really old here but...this was before anything like the internet or YouTube and I would end up buying albums based on just the cover or just because I saw a band in a magazine or a friend of mine had a different album from the same band that I just discovered that day. I spent so much time at the Record Bar they gave me a job. They literally told me 'You're' here all the time anyway so we might as well pay you to be here'. To this day the only job I've ever had that didn't feel like work.

I guess its just a sign of the times but if you ever have the chance...take the time to SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RECORD STORE!!! Still the only place you can go and touch and see and read and talk to the staff about what they may like or if they have any inside scoop or what's new that they can turn you on to...person to person. The number of times a person saw something I bought or while waiting on someone who bought X that then moves on to..."If you like this...you should check out THIS!"...and then you put it on and you/they/we listen to it together...in the store...together...is one of life's underappreciated joys!

The internet is great...especially for access to music...but there is definitely a downside.
    Agree with every bit of that Post !

There were always these great Record stores that would pop up over my pre-teen / teen and into my young adult life
    and with the varying kinds of music that I liked, I'd end up spending a lot of time and money in those stores. The one
    that I spent most of my time in was BJs Music store in the old Bell Tower Mall in Greenville. I used to drive over there
    from Simpsonville at least once every week, during the week, and then pretty much every Saturday Morning as soon
    as they opened up, I was there going through the Records ( albums and 45s). There was a guy that worked there named
    Steve that I would talk to a lot about music with and he would hook me up with some really good records, and when a
    new "Hot" album was about to be put on sale there, he'd let me know days in advance and if I asked him to, he'd hold
    back a copy of it for me for a day or so until I got out there to buy it. The first album he did that for me was Toys In
    The Attic by Aerosmith. You talk about a broken hearted sumbitch, that was 100% me the day I found out that BJs was
    going out of Business. Once they closed I started buying a lot of my stuff from Manifest and Camelots Music. Camelots
    was in the Greenville Mall which died quickly due to the building of The Heywood Mall just a few miles away. Once
    Camelot's closed, pretty much the remainder of my money spent on Tapes and CDs was at Manifest. I always liked that
    place due to the prices of the new stuff, and they had a large selection of used stuff as well. Also carried Walkmans,
    Headphones, Guitars and accessories and used musical equipment. ... I miss them all. Like LBC said, when one of those
    places went under, a large part of your youth went with it.

I can remember Peaches Records on Harden St. down in Five Points in the 1980's having a strong peach perfume scent.

I also remember in the early 1990's going to Tower Records in San Diego once or twice a week to check out the latest release.

It was just a basic store with a bazillion well-organized titles.

There are really no radio stations in Columbia that play new music anymore since 94.1 The Palm switched to Christian music. They all play the same stale 30-year-old catalogs.

I can't really name a band from the last 10 years that can put butts in the arena seats like the old bands could.

Creating a hit record requires good song-writers, producers and engineers as well as musicians. A lot of those people have died or retired as well. It's really sad and not necessarily caused by the Internet, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
    Papa Jazz was great. Used to go in there a good bit and buy / sell used CDs
    You probably remember the owner then.

Name:  Harrison Palmer.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  61.9 KB
    Order Of The Spur

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Your years are WAY off Spurticus. Manifest in Greenville on Laurens Rd rebranded to Earshot back in 2004. Earshot closed in 2016, I believe. Grew up in the area in the 90s and knew something sounded off about the dates.

We get it Yancey, you know the owner. Name-dropping is unbecoming.

obscurum per obscurius GoldenSpur7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
    I can remember Peaches Records on Harden St. down in Five Points in the 1980's having a strong peach perfume scent.

I also remember in the early 1990's going to Tower Records in San Diego once or twice a week to check out the latest release.

It was just a basic store with a bazillion well-organized titles.

There are really no radio stations in Columbia that play new music anymore since 94.1 The Palm switched to Christian music. They all play the same stale 30-year-old catalogs.

I can't really name a band from the last 10 years that can put butts in the arena seats like the old bands could.

Creating a hit record requires good song-writers, producers and engineers as well as musicians. A lot of those people have died or retired as well. It's really sad and not necessarily caused by the Internet, either.
    The Palm switched back, though the format is a little different, they play a little more "vintage".